test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The "Season 10 Launch Guide"...hrmmm

abaddon653abaddon653 Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
Read through this and you're not exactly filling me with confidence about this launch Cryptic. I mean some parts made me chuckle, others made me bust a gut laugh, the section on not coming onto the forums to rage or flame had me in stitches.

I really do hope that this launch goes off well and I wish you all the luck in the world with it Cryptic. But with all your little warnings and mentions about the bug section...I makes me think that you KNOW this is not going to go off that smoothly. Hoping it does though, checked out trib and the revamped sector space is glorious!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It was just a post from a player/forumite, no-one to do with the actual company.
    giphy.gif
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    First, the "Guide" was not written by Cryptic. It was written by a fan. Second, most of it has proven true for every Season and Expansion released so far. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's not going to go smoothly. Nothing MMO related has EVER launched smoothly. This stuff has been happening for over 40 years, yet gamers act like this is the first time a server crashes or login in queues are high.

:rolleyes:
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • stormstrykestormstryke Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When I saw the title I thought it was a guide about the new things. Basically it's just saying don't come to the forums to complain about things that go wrong. Wait... I just said the same thing as the guide in one sentence. Cliff notes for the win.
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
  • lored2deathlored2death Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's not going to go smoothly. Nothing MMO related has EVER launched smoothly. This stuff has been happening for over 40 years, yet gamers act like this is the first time a server crashes or login in queues are high.

I'm 43 and when I was born, not so much as Pong existed for the mass public. I think your comment that MMO launches have been like this for over 40 years is a bit misleading to say the least. I'm not sure anything even called a true MMO even existed prior to the 90's, maybe the very late 80's.
  • killalljedikillalljedi Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have a dental appointment in a few hours and probably won't be back till around 5PM anyway, so hopefully the servers will be back up then back down and then up for a few minutes then back down again for more hotfixing and then back up again by that time.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When I saw the title I thought it was a guide about the new things. Basically it's just saying don't come to the forums to complain about things that go wrong. Wait... I just said the same thing as the guide in one sentence. Cliff notes for the win.

Now now, it just says don't come to the general forum to complain. It has links to the correct forums for complaining.
  • krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm 43 and when I was born, not so much as Pong existed for the mass public. I think your comment that MMO launches have been like this for over 40 years is a bit misleading to say the least. I'm not sure anything even called a true MMO even existed prior to the 90's, maybe the very late 80's.

ahh Chuckie Egg..... my first MMO (me, mum and others)
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Depends which month you were born, pong was released in February 1972, 43 years ago ;)
  • gameshogungameshogun Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2015

LOLz, exactly! For us MMO veterans, who've been in the scene since Ultima Online, MUDs, MUSHes, and earlier online games, we already expect this.

To the "newbies", relax. okay?

:p
    [ Home | Bio | Send me a gift! ]
    [ Blog: YOOki Chronicles ]
    [ Verify me: Keybase | OpenPGP ]

"Someone should do a story where a Horta meets a Vorta. And then they find a portal to Vorta-Vor and become immortal. Sorta." ~Christopher L. Bennett
  • malchezdricmalchezdric Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just once, I'd like to see someone who makes an inaccurate assumption and appears like a spoiled moron in the process actually come back to the thread they started and own up to their mistake (and possibly open themselves up to even more ridicule).

*sigh* Missed opportunities...
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It's 2015, so I'm rounding up. Point is, computers TRIBBLE out.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • stohenrikstohenrik Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, some of us remember a time before the internet, where games had to be more or less bug-free - because it was nearly impossible to update them :P

Then again, I'm verifying the computer files, since STO crashed following the update >_<
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    stohenrik wrote: »
    Well, some of us remember a time before the internet, where games had to be more or less bug-free - because it was nearly impossible to update them :P

Then again, I'm verifying the computer files, since STO crashed following the update >_<

Games have never been bug-free,. You used to have to type in patch code, get a replacement or patch floppy from the company, get a replacement or patch CD from the company, get a patch from a bundled CD from a gaming magazine, etc. etc.

... or just live with the bugs, some of them game-breaking.

In Fallout 1 if you saved your game inside the weapon dealers building, you'd be trapped there forever once the guard blocked the 1-square-wide bridge across the deadly radioactive goop moat.