test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Too much?

ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
Is there too much going on in the game? I'm not talking about the stories, races, worlds, etc. I'm talking about the smaller things. The crafting system, the kits, the bridge officer abilities, weapon upgrades, ships, and your own characters setup. I remember when I first started playing a few months after the game went free to play. It was pretty easy to get a grasp on how everything worked, what you could do, and how to do it correctly to get the most out of your endeavors. But since the start of delta delta rising, and even a little before, it just feels like there's way too much to keep track of. Something simple, like bridge officer training, has become somewhat of a nightmare to me, with abilities now having to be purchased, then trained, then set to the officer, and then again to the ship tray, its just so much more complicated than it needs to be. And what was wrong with the original weapons upgrade system, or lack thereof? You simply play the game, earn new gear, and save up resources to buy even better stuff at the store. Why do we now have to obtain the gear we want to upgrade, buy upgrade items, run them through a cheese grater, preheat the oven, wrap them in tin foil, and let them cook for 24 hours?

I'm not against a game having content, and having newer stuff added to improve it, but this doesn't feel like content, and it certainly isn't improved. If feels far too cluttered, and frankly feels like we downgraded to a design that still needs work. The older style felt like it had been worked on, polished, and tested over and over until it was perfect. This, doesn't.
Post edited by ghyudt on

Comments

• Options
    derekslidederekslide Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree, wish they would simplify certain processes.
  • Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think many see it the way around: they wanted more than "get new ship, put boffs, go grind something".
    Thus the new system came to life, offering just this.

Things change, we simply have to adapt.
  • Options
    wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    considering they spent years dumbing down the game to make it easier for new players. with delta rising onwards it certainly feels like they've done a U-turn. in a way it would be nice if we could go 1 or 2 seasons with out an extra grind or a change to yet another system. but I can only assume revamping systems helps to make updates and season patches look like they have new content and it's easy 'stocking filler' type stuff for game patches/seasons. it allows them to work out ways to make more money from us while adding a time sink. vs story content. which makes the game look rich but don't make pwe rich.

this patch is adding some new space and ground stfs which will be nice. 2 new episodes. so this patch isn't all bad.

but there is a massive lack of testing. new ships and their consoles will never get tested properly because they don't want anyone to fly before they back. because chances are if you did you wouldn't buy it.
  • Options
    lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I often think of this video when this comes up:
    Extra Credits - Depth vs Complexity - Why More Features Don't Make a Better Game

I like having a game that's easy to learn and play, but has depth when you want to get more into it. As much as I dislike console ports, one of the really nice things about having a cross-platform game is that the controls have to be boiled down to pretty much what's on a controller. None of this needing more than half your keyboard to access all the features of a game.

We're used to it since it's been slowly built upon over five years, but anyone who has ever had to explain everything that they don't have a tutorial for to a new or returning player understands how much the complexity of the game has outstretched their ability to document or provide tutorials for systems.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well yea, considering what I had to cope with when I started this game three years ago to what a new player has ahead of him now this is almost like dealing with two different games.

In a way playing in communities for interactive information and experience as well as the attitude to do some web research of one own seems more important than ever.

Is this a bad thing? I don’t think so because the game has gained much depth by it and gives more long term goals than it did back when I started it. I think in the long run peeps dedicated enough to STO will compensate by just making fewer alts. So when a newcomer ends up with 4 toons instead of 9 after 3 years of play there should not be a problem.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    tamujiintamujiin Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Is there too much going on in the game? I'm not talking about the stories, races, worlds, etc. I'm talking about the smaller things. The crafting system, the kits, the bridge officer abilities, weapon upgrades, ships, and your own characters setup. I remember when I first started playing a few months after the game went free to play. It was pretty easy to get a grasp on how everything worked, what you could do, and how to do it correctly to get the most out of your endeavors. But since the start of delta delta rising, and even a little before, it just feels like there's way too much to keep track of. Something simple, like bridge officer training, has become somewhat of a nightmare to me, with abilities now having to be purchased, then trained, then set to the officer, and then again to the ship tray, its just so much more complicated than it needs to be. And what was wrong with the original weapons upgrade system, or lack thereof? You simply play the game, earn new gear, and save up resources to buy even better stuff at the store. Why do we now have to obtain the gear we want to upgrade, buy upgrade items, run them through a cheese grater, preheat the oven, wrap them in tin foil, and let them cook for 24 hours?

I'm not against a game having content, and having newer stuff added to improve it, but this doesn't feel like content, and it certainly isn't improved. If feels far too cluttered, and frankly feels like we downgraded to a design that still needs work. The older style felt like it had been worked on, polished, and tested over and over until it was perfect. This, doesn't.

IF you want simplicity, go play Super Mario Brothers.

Seriously, the game is 1 million times better, then "back then". Your obviously doing what everyone and their mother has done and not fully grasped the power of this fully operational battl---- game.

Takes me 3 days, crafting, off and on, to make 400 mil EC. Enough to buy a JHSS "if" i wanted to spend that much.

Takes me 1 week to get 1 million refined dilithium.... "if" i wanted to.

Yes, it used to be more, "casual" for "casual" players..... Those who Cryptic chooses to hear, spoke, and wanted a higher difficulty, which need to happen. They wanted an RnD system that didn't take 1 mill EC and half hour clicking to maximize, and evidently get nothing of value from it.

Oh you can do this all, if you have the knowledge how to do it, ( and no it is not exploits ), working a full time job with three kids. And no you don't need to spend money on it. What you need is people who can tell you the best choices of spending either money, or investing your time, and how to invest it properly.

It is all about perspective. and your not perceiving what a lot of negative people on these forums, cannot perceive because their points of view are so limited. Broaden your point of view, it will make you insanely in-game rich.
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited April 2015

Yes I understand you I had similar feelings.I guess everything was done to force players to "play more" doing the same things over and over again and that instead drove a lot of them to other games.I guess Kafka would have loved this game after DR .........

Edit :The boff system is only good thing in my opinion that DR brought
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    tamujiin wrote: »
    Seriously, the game is 1 million times better, then "back then". Your obviously doing what everyone and their mother has done and not fully grasped the power of this fully operational battl---- game.

aha had to quote you on this, well played :p
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    aha had to quote you on this, well played :p

Thanks!

Id like to add, the game, like any mmo, is not perfect. You can tell the story arc, has been rushed in some aspects. Some folks, don't know, this engine sucks. YET the game still has a LARGE, albiet not HUGE following, and it is cryptic's money maker.

In a sense, Playing MMO's are like having a job. Don't like it, find another. You CAN and ALWAYS will be replaced, until the company goes bankrupt.

Never stick around a dead end job... and never stick around a dead end MMO, if it is not making you happy, and your not having fun doing it, DON'T DO IT!
  • Options
    dova25dova25 Member Posts: 475
    edited April 2015
    tamujiin wrote: »
    Thanks!

Id like to add, the game, like any mmo, is not perfect. You can tell the story arc, has been rushed in some aspects. Some folks, don't know, this engine sucks. YET the game still has a LARGE, albiet not HUGE following, and it is cryptic's money maker.

In a sense, Playing MMO's are like having a job. Don't like it, find another. You CAN and ALWAYS will be replaced, until the company goes bankrupt.

Never stick around a dead end job... and never stick around a dead end MMO, if it is not making you happy, and your not having fun doing it, DON'T DO IT!

To my knowledge it is the only MMO based on star trek and that I think keeps a lot of people here playing even if they are not satisfied about all changes after DR.
    "There already is a Borg faction, its called the Federation. They assimilate everyone else's technology and remove any biological or technical distinctiveness and add it to their own."
    I refuse to be content https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I wouldn't say there is directly too much but just a lot of unnecessary side features...the prices...t5-u...more prices....upgrade system is fully of grind and frustration...even more prices... urgh need I go on?

Its not hard to understand but just mentally taxed to play with as you tend to get REALLY BLOODY BORED. rather annoyed to :) .
  • Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dova25 wrote: »
    To my knowledge it is the only MMO based on star trek and that I think keeps a lot of people here playing even if they are not satisfied about all changes after DR.

There is another base building browser based trek MMO but that is no competition for this game

Id lay a bet and not lose if another trek game on par with this one as a 3d shooter etc etc were to come out im betting alot of players would quit STO in a hurry not everyone and no the game wouldnt die.

Im just saying players would quit if there was another trek game out there to choose from.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    There is another base building browser based trek MMO but that is no competition for this game

Id lay a bet and not lose if another trek game on par with this one as a 3d shooter etc etc were to come out im betting alot of players would quit STO in a hurry not everyone and no the game wouldnt die.

Im just saying players would quit if there was another trek game out there to choose from.

Jeebus bro, I like Motorhead too, so much i made a toon named Motorhead.

ACE OF SPADES!

But seriously, if their was a "better one" out there, this one would not exist. Trust me, even the devs would gladly shut er down for something better....

Alas, it is a business, and these poor people need to feed their Ewo---- Tribbles.
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Actually that's what happened with Star Wars Galaxies when TOR came around , right ? Or so I have heard from friends , apart from the NGE system.
    Just out of curiosity, what's the name of this browser based star trek game ?
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    frontline2042frontline2042 Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actually that's what happened with Star Wars Galaxies when TOR came around , right ? Or so I have heard from friends , apart from the NGE system.
    Just out of curiosity, what's the name of this browser based star trek game ?

Galaxies shut down because the license expired and the fact that the NGE killed the game. Place was a ghost town
    Ignorance is an obstacle not an excuse
    Let the stupid suffer