test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you think that ever increasing levels of Power Creep are sustainable?

1235»

Comments

• zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    That's a bad queue. The fail comes with not rescuing enough ships; most players focus on combat. Temporary hitpoints are a huge benefit; three points in pilot plus 2x APB1 makes rescuing liberated ships easy. I still avoid it, because yeah, it has a high fail rate, and also because I despise the DPS race at the end.

Drain builds can readily break 10k, but you need to first acknowledge that you're aiming to play a lower DPS setup, in a game that doesn't really require the benefits your build provides.

BHA would get you those APCs. Just make sure to kill the three alarm bugs. You need physical resist, psionic resist, and toxic resist. A dedicated healer is more of a liability in a PUG than a dedicated DPS with the ability to direct heal.

I got into BHA using exclusively Nukara gear, which doesn't require any elite marks. Eventually I refined the build to include some 8472 gear; the kit from the 8472 rep store is especially useful.

I'm swimming in them.

Thats cool for you. I'm not putting that much effort into ground, I hate it, I hate it so much. Its awful, laggy, unresponsive and has 2 modes. Invincible and Dead. Abilities are slow to fire, often the input will just be straight up ignored, and when you realize it didn't go and smash the button 20 times in frustration until it DOES finally go off, the battle is either over completely or your target is at 5% health and dies just as you complete the 20 minute animation.

No ground for me thanks, I'd rather not play the game. Space or bust.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zenn3k wrote: »
    My ship and build aren't 70k or something insane, but its a solid little ship at about 6.5k with sub-optimal gear ATM.
    Feel free to supply your build using this site: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

Maybe there's something you can change immediately that will improve your DPS without compromising your play style.
    I realize some of it IS my fault, but its mostly out of my control...I want Mk XIV just like everyone else, but I need Research at 15 first, that takes ages and requires no real interaction.
    No, you don't. You can buy upgrade manuals for about the cost of crafting them, sometimes cheaper. In the meantime, I've found that farming normal space STFs is a decent source of EC, if you can't find a better way to farm EC. Each deflector, shield, engine, warp core or space weapon sells for something like 30k EC.
    I try pretty hard, and I feel comfortable that although I'm sure I'm not the best pilot ever, I'm competent. My issues isn't MY ship, its the fact that I bring up a DPS combat log and I'm the #1 ship at 6,700 dps.
    That sucks. Time of day seems to greatly impact the PUG experience.
    I'd also rather uninstall then play ground. Ground is ****ing awful.
    It grows on you. Especially after enough frustration with space.
    Thats cool for you. I'm not putting that much effort into ground, I hate it, I hate it so much. Its awful, laggy, unresponsive and has 2 modes. Invincible and Dead. Abilities are slow to fire, often the input will just be straight up ignored, and when you realize it didn't go and smash the button 20 times in frustration until it DOES finally go off, the battle is either over completely or your target is at 5% health and dies just as you complete the 20 minute animation.
    I can see you're frustrated.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Getting APC is straight up impossible right now.

You can get two a day from two of the missions on Kobali Prime. They're open missions, so there might be other folks trying to get them at the same time which could help you out or you could help them out sort of thing.

The replay console is just outside the General's office...you'll want to look in Act III.

Breaking the Wall (open mission is At The Gates)

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Breaking_the_Wall / http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_At_The_Gates

With Our Last Breath (open mission is The Last Stand)

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_With_Our_Last_Breath / http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_The_Last_Stand

Yeah, it's Ground...but it's not a queue - there's no risk of failing and having to wait.
  • nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited April 2015

No ground for me thanks, I'd rather not play the game. Space or bust.

Ah. So essential to your having nothing to do is the fact that you refuse to play half the game. The half that includes moat of the workarounds to the content you're having trouble with (there's two easy APCs a day from the Kobali battlezone, for example).

Gotcha.
    edited April 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Ah. So essential to your having nothing to do is the fact that you refuse to play half the game. The half that includes moat of the workarounds to the content you're having trouble with (there's two easy APCs a day from the Kobali battlezone, for example).

Gotcha.

I don't enjoy that half of the game, no.

I MIGHT go and try Kobali since I do find battlezones in general are vastly better queues overall, however the "HARD" requires a group and I have the feeling I'll be spamming zone for 2 hours trying to get one together, we'll see, I'll attempt it, if we get slaughtered to a pulp, I likely won't try again, if its close or we win, then I found a source I can grit my teeth and force myself to do.
    edited April 2015

I MIGHT go and try Kobali since I do find battlezones in general are vastly better queues overall, however the "HARD" requires a group and I have the feeling I'll be spamming zone for 2 hours trying to get one together, we'll see, I'll attempt it, if we get slaughtered to a pulp, I likely won't try again, if its close or we win, then I found a source I can grit my teeth and force myself to do.

Kobali doesn't do the "HARD" stuff like Defera for the BNPs.

Another thing to consider is with S10, they're introducing the 100:1 trade-in where you can convert 100 regular Marks into an Elite Mark every 20 hours. Doesn't take 20 hours, only a few seconds, but it has a 20 hour cooldown.
  • bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015

the last mission is pretty difficult by yourself but the second to last is easily doable solo...I also dislike ground but find as long as at least one other person happens to be doing the same mission the kobali BG is very easy....and you can always instance hop until you find someone
    edited April 2015
    the last mission is pretty difficult by yourself but the second to last is easily doable solo...I also dislike ground but find as long as at least one other person happens to be doing the same mission the kobali BG is very easy....and you can always instance hop until you find someone

The last one can be a trip. It can be easy or it can be impossible...well, impossible for me...solo.

Folks can troll up the last one. Have gone to do that first part and there are 20 something Vaadwaur there...yeah, ain't happening.

For the third part, I find running all the way around and working from the back forward to be easier than the direct path from the second to the third part. Going direct, BOFFs aggro folks from all over the place and it goes south fast. Coming from the edge of the map down, can usually work in there without anywhere near as much trouble. Then it's kiting the guy off at the end over to the ship away from any potential respawns.

But yeah, get into two or three folks doing it and it gets into easy peasy...
    edited April 2015
    Feel free to supply your build using this site: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

Maybe there's something you can change immediately that will improve your DPS without compromising your play style.

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=zenn_0

I didn't put in my skills, but they are fine, they don't appear to have THAT much impact anyway, so I doubt a point here or there is worth enough to bother with a re-roll.

Two notes:

The Torpedo I use is NOT Photon, but they don't have the Crystaline Entity Torpedo listed, which is what I'm using, which is Anti-Proton and benefits from the Tac consoles.

The Omni-Directional Beam in the back is the set item to get to 2 piece set bonus of +10% anti-proton damage with my warp core. That item also was not listed for some reason.
    Kobali doesn't do the "HARD" stuff like Defera for the BNPs.

Another thing to consider is with S10, they're introducing the 100:1 trade-in where you can convert 100 regular Marks into an Elite Mark every 20 hours. Doesn't take 20 hours, only a few seconds, but it has a 20 hour cooldown.

Awesome, that'll get me playing, 100 marks is nothin.
    edited April 2015
    I went to Kobali, ran out onto the battlefield, shot at stuff, found others, we all shot at stuff...we fixed some turrets, then we cleared the trenches, then we did more stuff...then we held a spot for like 5 minutes.

No APC awarded. So much for that, or did I miss some super secret quest in the corner of the map?
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I didn't put in my skills, but they are fine, they don't appear to have THAT much impact anyway, so I doubt a point here or there is worth enough to bother with a re-roll.
    You should add the skill points, and traits as well.

I'm no sci ship expert, so I can't really offer much advice. There are a few on these forums who are experts; maybe one of them can offer some suggestions.

Offhand, there are definitely some changes you can make to improve the build. I'd suggest focusing on either particle generators for damage, or flow caps for drain. Since your DPS is in need of improvement, and a proper drain build really needs a plasmonic leech console, I'd suggest going with particle generators.

Also, you need to find a good fleet through which you can get fleet gear. There are two considerations; the fleet needs to be active enough to progress a starbase, or already have a well progressed or completed starbase, and; the fleet can't be so active that projects are filled before you have a chance to contribute. A mid-sized fleet, or a well developed small fleet, are better choices than a large, active fleet.

Whatever type of fleet you join, you'll likely need to hit some contribution threshold before you'll be granted access to fleet stores. That's fine; contribution is just a term describing the number of fleet credits you've generated with that fleet, and its those credits you'll use to buy gear. You'll need several hundred thousand credits to fill out your build, anyway.

As for the crafting issue, the problem is simple. You only want to craft gear at Mk II; this is the best time to upgrade the quality of a piece, and is the cheapest method for ensuring the mods you want without purchasing it from the exchange. Outside of a very limited selection of pieces, crafting anything at Mk XII is wasteful.

For APCs, I can't speak to Defera dailies; I strongly recommend picking up some Nukara ground pieces and giving BHA another chance. The Nukara Strikeforce Elite shield and full auto rifle are a great combo, and the 8472 kit only costs dilithium. The counter-command exo armor is great, but requires iso injections, probably gotten from the voth battlezone.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ever increasing levels or ever decreasing circles, which is worse.
    theres only one way to find out, FIIIIGHT!.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    I know you're just a barely functioning troll and all, but, uh... this is about PvE.

Literally PvE, and nothing else.

I even said that it was about NPCs and their HP in the OP...

You wont notice the HP if the player is good. Because Dps comes with all the rest of the things that you do as long as you are highly skilled player. Because if a player is really good at pve, you will notice the other stuff like those Borg torps htting you from 100-500k, lances hitting for 1m, npcs hitting those feedback pulse, scramble sensors, sub nukes and how to counter them , techniques on how to finish a difficult mission rather than the HP. Large HP of npcs would only be noticeable in the mission if you are really a bad pve player or grouped with bad pve players because your group is killing too slow.

Also, level of difficulty depends on the players referrence. Things that would be hard with one player may be easy for one.

The most important part is those who complain about its HP in this thread mostly don't play PVe so why bother change the whole game for a few or dozen players who barely pves at expense of the population doing normal and advance who actually does pve frequently. A lot of players already having a hard time following easy instructions in advance which they want nerf down as proven by the anra changes.

If you want a win win solution, I gave you solution Couple of post back, slapping harder AI at elite missions on top of the current npcs, damage, hp and spamming of othe abilities since less than competent players won't be doing elite. While those who do frequent elite will welcome that Increased difficulty.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sustainable? sure, they did it with t5 stuff, they allowed it to spiral out of control, make a blatant cash grab over the time before it started tapering off, then nerf it back and shove it into t5u, then find more stuff for t6 and start the process again, they could allow this one to stew for a while, bringing more and more in then get money off it until it tapers off again, then shove the t6 stuff to a side and start again for t6u or t7? who knows. but they can sustain it if they want to, as long as the sheeple continue to ignore the obvious.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited April 2015
    I went to Kobali, ran out onto the battlefield, shot at stuff, found others, we all shot at stuff...we fixed some turrets, then we cleared the trenches, then we did more stuff...then we held a spot for like 5 minutes.

No APC awarded. So much for that, or did I miss some super secret quest in the corner of the map?

I listed the specific missions earlier.
    You can get two a day from two of the missions on Kobali Prime. They're open missions, so there might be other folks trying to get them at the same time which could help you out or you could help them out sort of thing.

The replay console is just outside the General's office...you'll want to look in Act III.

Breaking the Wall (open mission is At The Gates)

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_Breaking_the_Wall / http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_At_The_Gates

With Our Last Breath (open mission is The Last Stand)

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_With_Our_Last_Breath / http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mission:_The_Last_Stand

Yeah, it's Ground...but it's not a queue - there's no risk of failing and having to wait.

Sounds like you did...

Act I The Cavalry with the open mission Defense at the Gates.

edit: Another thing to note about those two missions is they added them as a source of Iconian Marks (only non-queue source)...from the release notes for the S10 launch:
    Iconian Marks have been added as a reward option for two open missions in the Kobali Adventure Zone:
    ---"At the Gates" which is a requirement of "Breaking the Wall".
    ---"The Last Stand" which is a requirement of "With Our Last Breath".
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The most enjoyment you'll get out of the game these days is starting a new toon and playing from scratch. Playing as 60 is monotonous, so just keep making new toons and delete them when you're bored.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Two notes:

The Torpedo I use is NOT Photon, but they don't have the Crystaline Entity Torpedo listed, which is what I'm using, which is Anti-Proton and benefits from the Tac consoles.

The Omni-Directional Beam in the back is the set item to get to 2 piece set bonus of +10% anti-proton damage with my warp core. That item also was not listed for some reason.

Awesome, that'll get me playing, 100 marks is nothin.

I would say what you do with your ship depends on what you want to do with it. Do you want to drain enemy shields to zero to have everyone firing on shieldless enemies, or do you want to do DPS?

I'm not a fan of drain builds because it takes a lot more investment, enemies generally have very high resistances to that sort of thing in STFs, you probably won't do much when Tyken's rift is on cooldown, and you're forced to run high aux power to make Tykens rift work at its best. If you're not managing to drain shields to nothing consistently, at least without changing your build you can improve your DPS just running full power to weapons.

A drain build would also be best with polaron weapons. Antiproton are really for a high weapon power/high crit build to get the most out of their innate crit damage, and work best for tactical captains.

Having only two tac slots also hurts on that ship. You might consider dropping APB for torpedo spread 2 to make the most of that torpedo, or drop the torpedo. It isn't going to do much on its own unfortunately.

But that aside, your weapon layout isn't ideal. Either swap 2 standard beam arrays up front and keep your defense up as you spin around for the torpedo cycles or get yourself the crafted 360 beam and a Borg cutting beam for your rear arrays so you can do full frontal attacks.

And upgrading weapons to mk 14 is helpful too, for DPS, but of course you want to finalize your weapon layout first.
  • robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It is sustainable until you hit a buffer overflow. That will require a new engine.