test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Superior Tech Upgrades

jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
Did Cryptic nerf these or something, I swear using a Superior Upgrade gave a 5% Chance to go from Rare to Ultra Rare but today its 1% for my Rare Cannons with the Superior Cannon Upgrade ?
Post edited by jelly0 on

Comments

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jelly0 wrote: »
    Did Cryptic nerf these or something, I swear using a Superior Upgrade gave a 5% Chance to go from Rare to Ultra Rare but today its 1% for my Rare Cannons with the Superior Cannon Upgrade ?

It vastly depends on what mk# degree, for which you are trying to upgrade!

The higher the mk#, the somewhat less effective the tech rarity % chance becomes.

This is why so many people, start with an mkii and, build it from the ground up.

Now, don't get me wrong, as each and every tech applied that fails to cause a rarity improvement, does carry over to the next try so, eventually it will happen with enough of them but, it can be very costly in tech upgrades.

And, FYI it is experimental techs/omega techs/unique techs, that offer superior % chances for rarity improvements and, not basic superior techs.

As, these only really work towards increasing the mk# degree mostly so, best to use them for that only.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, the higher the mark level the lower the chances of a rarity upgrade. That is why I only use Research Boosts on Mk II level gear.
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well it hasnt mattered what MK it was the Superior Upgrades always gave 5% until they reached very rare then it went down to 1/2%
    edited April 2015
    Well it hasnt mattered what MK it was the Superior Upgrades always gave 5% until they reached very rare then it went down to 1/2%

Yes, that is because rarity also places the same critical role, in determining how effective those techs are as well.

Rarity & mk# both, cause the techs to seem less effective, the higher they are.

Omega Upgrades are currently applying the correct amount of Research (or chance for rarity-up), and it is twice the amount applied by an Experimental Kit. The results you are seeing in the UI appear to be inconsistent because...

** pulls back the curtain **

... Research % is calculated as a ratio, based on the amount of Tech Points being applied.

So, when we created an Upgrade that was both 2x TP and 2x Research, the ratio works out to being the same, resulting in no apparent change in the UI.

Now, having said that, we're going to be checking in a change that increases the Research granted by Omega Upgrade Techs by an additional amount. Probably doubled-again, so that it ends up being closer to the final value reflected in the Tooltips.

If you're specifically hoping to use these Techs to increase the rarity of your items, I might recommend not applying them until that change goes live (hopefully this week). We won't be able to make the change retroactive to kits already applied.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1365191&highlight=omega&page=2

Now, granted this is old and, has been fixed but, it tries to explain how the system works!

Hopefully it helps.

• ironchefbbqironchefbbq Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited April 2015

I would suggest reading through Post #4 in the "Everything you need to know" thread. I checked the rarity yields on the various upgrade types (Superior, Experimental, Omega) and they are all functioning as expected.
    RARITY and how to break the bank
    The opportunity at an increase in rarity has a baseline percentage chance at each quality breakpoint (refer to Mighty_BoB_cnc's sheet). Each time you increase rarity the next chance becomes twice as difficult.
    Breakpoint . . . . : Percentage
    Common -> Unc : 40%
    Unc -> Rare . . . : 20%
    Rare -> Very R . : 10%
    VR -> Ultra Rare : 5%
    UR -> Epic . . . . : 2.5%

A Superior Upgrade follows the above to the exact letter of the law. If you use nothing but Superior Upgrades to fill the Technology Point bucket from completely empty to 100% you will see a rarity percentage that mirrors the above percentages exactly.

A Superior Experimental Upgrade yield for Research Points is doubled (x2). If you use nothing but Superior Experimental Upgrades to fill the Tech Point bucket 0->100% you will see a rarity percentage at double the rate in the above quote. So if you have a Very Rare item and fill with exclusively Superior Experimentals the rarity chance (to go to ultra rare) will be 10% (i.e. double normal).

If at any point you mix upgrade types it pro-rates the rarity chance based on the overall contribution of those upgrades to the technology point bucket. If this still doesn't make sense, go read post#4 again.
  • billdunbilldun Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited April 2015

What's the Mk of your cannon?

Are you using accelerators? If so, which type?
    edited April 2015
    It vastly depends on what mk# degree, for which you are trying to upgrade!

The higher the mk#, the somewhat less effective the tech rarity % chance becomes.

This is why so many people, start with an mkii and, build it from the ground up.

Now, don't get me wrong, as each and every tech applied that fails to cause a rarity improvement, does carry over to the next try so, eventually it will happen with enough of them but, it can be very costly in tech upgrades.

This information is not contextually correct.

Rarity chance is completely decoupled from the current Mark rank. Rarity chance only depends on the current rarity of the item. The reason people tend to start with a Mk II item is that the technology buckets are immensely small and all excess technology & research points from the applied upgrade carry over to the next attempt. A Mk II item needs only a couple hundred Technology Points to start the cooking process. When a Superior Upgrade is applied it dumps 12,800 TP into that bucket and all excess flows over to the next attempt and that is why it is more efficient to upgrade in that manner. The rarity chance during each cooking process will remain the same until you run out of overflow technology points or you get lucky and it upgrades to the next rarity.
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, from what I can gather:

The number of tech points to get from MK Y to MK Y+1 is an indicator of how many % a tech upgrade will add for a rarity increase.

So if item A needs 100,000 tech points to go up in MK and item B needs 50,000, then an upgrade kit will apply double the percent chance to B than it would to A, or at least some factor of %.
    giphy.gif
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, from what I can gather:

The number of tech points to get from MK Y to MK Y+1 is an indicator of how many % a tech upgrade will add for a rarity increase.

So if item A needs 100,000 tech points to go up in MK and item B needs 50,000, then an upgrade kit will apply double the percent chance to B than it would to A, or at least some factor of %.

No, that is absolutely not how it works.
    There are only two factors that determine rarity chance.
    1.) What is the current rarity?
    2.) How many Research Points you pour into the bucket (the ratio between RP & TP).

Research Points are tied directly to Technology Points in any upgrade. Only the Tech Points determine when you start cooking the item. For our purposes the Research Point bucket is infinitely large.

All upgrades Basic to Superior have a 1:1 ratio of TP to RP. The Superior Experimental Upgrade has a TP:RP ratio of 1:2 so that is why you get double the rarity chance (when the TP bucket is filled completely with Experimentals).
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No, that is absolutely not how it works.
    There are only two factors that determine rarity chance.
    1.) What is the current rarity?
    2.) How many Research Points you pour into the bucket (the ratio between RP & TP).

Research Points are tied directly to Technology Points in any upgrade. Only the Tech Points determine when you start cooking the item. For our purposes the Research Point bucket is infinitely large.

The bit I've high-lighted: pretty much exactly what I said.

edit/ ah, you meant for the upgrade kit. Fair enough.
    giphy.gif
    edited April 2015
    This information is not contextually correct.

Rarity chance is completely decoupled from the current Mark rank. Rarity chance only depends on the current rarity of the item. The reason people tend to start with a Mk II item is that the technology buckets are immensely small and all excess technology & research points from the applied upgrade carry over to the next attempt. A Mk II item needs only a couple hundred Technology Points to start the cooking process. When a Superior Upgrade is applied it dumps 12,800 TP into that bucket and all excess flows over to the next attempt and that is why it is more efficient to upgrade in that manner. The rarity chance during each cooking process will remain the same until you run out of overflow technology points or you get lucky and it upgrades to the next rarity.

This is why I stated, that mk# degree, plays a crucial role, in determining how much need be invested in tech points, just to get the rarity chance up.

A VR mkii - mkviii, is almost a no cost factor in regards to tech points needed, therefore the odds of a rarity upgrade while not changing if using a single tech, is the better value in chance.

While a VR mkxii, would take a decent investment, not only to upgrade to a mkxiii but, also to get enough tech points just to get that rarity % chance to boot.

This is why I mentioned building a mkii from the ground up, is ultimately the better value.

Not only does it cost very little but, you have more chances at such a small investment to not only possibly net a rarity upgrade for the same given % but, also less investment in attempting to gain the mods you prefer as well.

I may have not filled in all of the info needed but, the point is fairly correct.