test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No more character boundaries

grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
Hello there you wonder what to read here, I write this because I hate the char lockdown... I thought save up some boxes and shift them to my other char for gear... WRONG char bound.
Later taught to quit a character move along stuff, you know lockbox stuff was on him some fleet gear a pretty sum of fleet credits but you can guess what happened....

1. Fleet Credits can not transfer this not even store it in a bank.
2. Fleet Gear I can't move it to another character because it is bound.
3. Storyline based objects character bound can not moved it between characters on the account.
4. Earned skill points, fleet credits rep points not transversable.
5. Crafted objects not transferable between characters....

Is cryptic becoming paranoid with all these lockdowns, EC Nerfs giving stuff you can't sell or even have to get rid off by hand.

Take a good look around because as I understand cryptic owns species in game to test stuff don't tell me they like all these boundaries...

You agree with me on all these restrictions ? You believe Character bound should be leaving and replaced for account bound ??

Let me know your thought as a Dev or Player let me hear your voice !!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
Post edited by grazyc2#7847 on

Comments

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kirk2390 wrote: »
    3. Storyline based objects character bound can not moved it between characters on the account.

I think you are being paranoid. Fleet CREDITS and Fleet GEAR have ALWAYS been Bound to Character, as have Storyline-based objects.

Crafted Objects is probably your fault - they're BTC upon use.
  • gholendhorgholendhor Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's always been like this.So no,Cryptic isn't being paranoid.all the things you mentioned are character bound for a good reason.Also crafted items only become bound after you equip them.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Crafted Objects is probably your fault - they're BTC upon use.

Is this new? I had a TR-116 that I swapped around my characters for a bit, equipping and using it on two of them, as recently as ten or so days ago.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Crafted items are not.. nor have they ever been bound at all.

My main crafted pretty much everything my Delta Recruit is using.

Crafted weapons and consoles are all over the exchange, I sell crafted items all the time.

They're not even account bound, much less character bound.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It is not that bad in this game. Most things are bound to account. I would like to see dilithium per account. So I don't have to use the exchange to transfer.

Reputation rewards, those boxes you get for e reputation project. Since the items are random, some of my characters are loaded with cool stuff, others get only vendor junk. I know it is a reward for a reputation project, but what is the problem if I give the item to another character? I can do it already with some mission rewards. I would still do reputation projects on other characters,

Overall the bound-to-character is a misty concept for me. If you get something, you are free to do what you want, when a character is going to use it, it is bound to the character, so nobody else can touch it anymore. Would it be really game breaking, if we change it?
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Aside from Aegis before they fixed it everything you craft is bound to account not character. Aegis gear crafted after the fix is also account bound.

So, your rant is either not intended to be truthful, or was made in ignorance because you've never actually crafted anything with the new system.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This is fair the way it is under considerations that one can have his toons in different fleets.
    My advice when in need is to work around the boundaries. A lot of currencies like Dil, doffs, consumables to generate fleet credits can be exchanged between characters easily so plan accordingly. You could even buy fleet doffs for credits with toon A, mail them to toon B and donate them to give toon B to get credits for it.
    This is fair the way it is under considerations that one can have his toons in different fleets.
    I agree with you on that. I don’t see anybody hurt if one could exchange story items between the toons of one account.
    I agree with you on reput marks or even items howoever not the rest.
    They can and I make use of it a great deal to enjoy at least some alt friendly aspects of this game.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, will cement this in too, crafted items are nor char bound..... my Fed Eng is 15+ in all crafting schools and is the source of crafted item for all my other toons.
  • grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Those things are bound to prevent people like you from exploiting the game. But you claim that you've been playing since launch so you've known how this works for 5 years. You only come up with these nonsense complaints when you're bored.

First of i'm not bored and second be careful with witch saying stuff to people. Because i'm not an exploiter and you have no right to call me that... Because you don't know me at all you shouldn't make such assumptions about people... And yes im here from launch and i'm on the forum to speak my mind about stuff and it is an open discussion forum so I'm free to write down stuff here like anyone else and if you don't like it skip me next time please...

THANK YOU !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Can I ask when the Aegis set was fixed? What kind of fix happened?
    edited April 2015
    Aside from Aegis before they fixed it everything you craft is bound to account not character. Aegis gear crafted after the fix is also account bound.

So, your rant is either not intended to be truthful, or was made in ignorance because you've never actually crafted anything with the new system.

Yes I did ok this was my mistake of course after using it you can't transfer it ... sorry
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2015
    dmt wrote: »
    Can I ask when the Aegis set was fixed? What kind of fix happened?

Latest patch I believe... they changed the settings or whatever and made it bound thats from hearsaying...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hello there you wonder what to read here, I write this because I hate the char lockdown... I thought save up some boxes and shift them to my other char for gear... WRONG char bound.
    Later taught to quit a character move along stuff, you know lockbox stuff was on him some fleet gear a pretty sum of fleet credits but you can guess what happened....

Is cryptic becoming paranoid with all these lockdowns, EC Nerfs giving stuff you can't sell or even have to get rid off by hand.

Take a good look around because as I understand cryptic owns species in game to test stuff don't tell me they like all these boundaries...

You agree with me on all these restrictions ? You believe Character bound should be leaving and replaced for account bound ??

there is a very important item you missed from your list of things that cant be transferred, your level or rank whatever you want to call it, why do you think that is? if your character is lv50 or lv60 for example why would cryptic not allow you to transfer that status to another character?

its no different from the other items in your list, fleet credits, skill points, rep points and my favourite story based objects.

surely it is plain that some things must be earned by that character alone otherwise we would be transferring all sorts of stuff from character to character as and when we felt like it and that character would cease to be a character and just become the suit we fancy wearing that day.

surely if you want to transfer all of these things its because you are intending to delete this character in favour of a new character.
    perhaps you have decided you don't much care for you current character and want to change its species or sex or even faction or perhaps its so you can roll a delta to give your character delta status while the event is still on-going.

well theres no easy answer for you if you want to start a new character and get rid of the one you have you have to start afresh that's just the way cryptic wants it and IMHO the right way.

if you are not intending to delete this character why would you want to take all these things you have earned with him away and give them another.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    and in answer to the why can't I let someone else use my account, I gave them permission.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/about/terms

4.7Your Account may only to be used by you. We are not responsible for any misuse of your Account or your User ID, you agree to accept all risks of misuse of and unauthorized access to your Account and to hold us and our affiliates harmless from and against any misuse use of your Account or your User ID, including, but not limited to, improper or unauthorized use by someone to whom you revealed your password.

4.10 We will endeavour to notify you by email before we terminate your Account, unless we are terminating, deactivating or deleting your Account or User ID for a violation of these Terms or discontinuation of the Service. However, we will not be liable in any manner for any failure to give notice. If you advise us within five days of the notice that you want to keep your Account active, we will not terminate it. If you do not so notify us, your Account will be terminated and may be permanently deleted, along with your User ID, records, ranks and service information.

That's why, you signed it before you created your first character.
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Is cryptic becoming paranoid with all these lockdowns

Nope, always been this way. There is plenty of account bind stuff out there if you look for it, that you can equip an alt pretty good in Purple XII items.

Can't give away everything.
    edited April 2015
    First of i'm not bored and second be careful with witch saying stuff to people. Because i'm not an exploiter and you have no right to call me that... Because you don't know me at all you shouldn't make such assumptions about people... And yes im here from launch and i'm on the forum to speak my mind about stuff and it is an open discussion forum so I'm free to write down stuff here like anyone else and if you don't like it skip me next time please...

THANK YOU !!!

Reading comprehension failure. He didn't call YOU an exploiter. He said character binding items was to prevent exploiting. There is a difference.

And also if you have been here from launch you should have known those things have been this way from the beginning. This isn't new or something they changed.

You are free to comment, just as they are free to comment on what you say.
    edited April 2015
    huskerklg wrote: »
    Nope, always been this way. There is plenty of account bind stuff out there if you look for it, that you can equip an alt pretty good in Purple XII items.

Can't give away everything.

indeed some stuff is character bound and some stuff is account bound, some stuff is account or character bound on pick up, some stuff is account or character bound on equip.
    and some stuff is never bound at all and can be picked up and equipped and then unequipped and sold on.

you just have to realise that all these are there for a reason and that's the way it is.
    barring marks that are always bound to character each item has in its description if the item is bound and in what manner, it has been this way for as long as I have been playing and I expect it will go on till I cant play the game anymore for whatever reason that is.

I cant see any reason why cryptic should change the binding status of any of the items or marks in your list (especially the first 4) or any other stuff you failed to mention.

I cant comment too much on crafted items but they may be bound to character on equip as I believe they can be transferred to another character or sold on the exchange before they are equipped.

edited April 2015
    there is a very important item you missed from your list of things that cant be transferred, your level or rank whatever you want to call it, why do you think that is? if your character is lv50 or lv60 for example why would cryptic not allow you to transfer that status to another character?

its no different from the other items in your list, fleet credits, skill points, rep points and my favourite story based objects.

surely it is plain that some things must be earned by that character alone otherwise we would be transferring all sorts of stuff from character to character as and when we felt like it and that character would cease to be a character and just become the suit we fancy wearing that day.

surely if you want to transfer all of these things its because you are intending to delete this character in favour of a new character.
    perhaps you have decided you don't much care for you current character and want to change its species or sex or even faction or perhaps its so you can roll a delta to give your character delta status while the event is still on-going.

well theres no easy answer for you if you want to start a new character and get rid of the one you have you have to start afresh that's just the way cryptic wants it and IMHO the right way.

if you are not intending to delete this character why would you want to take all these things you have earned with him away and give them another.

Alright you got me yes I level both chars and indeed I deleted the other one and I was a bit stunned how much of the stuff I had to leave behind not being able to transfer or sell it for dill or EC.... Thats what this is all about... Not being lazy or trying to cheat or what ever.... there is just lots of stuff you can't sell or transfer and you can't put it on exchange because it is already used... That made me sad a bit all the hard work I put in not even buying it because that is not the case....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2015
    chaelk wrote: »
    and in answer to the why can't I let someone else use my account, I gave them permission.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/about/terms

4.7Your Account may only to be used by you. We are not responsible for any misuse of your Account or your User ID, you agree to accept all risks of misuse of and unauthorized access to your Account and to hold us and our affiliates harmless from and against any misuse use of your Account or your User ID, including, but not limited to, improper or unauthorized use by someone to whom you revealed your password.

4.10 We will endeavour to notify you by email before we terminate your Account, unless we are terminating, deactivating or deleting your Account or User ID for a violation of these Terms or discontinuation of the Service. However, we will not be liable in any manner for any failure to give notice. If you advise us within five days of the notice that you want to keep your Account active, we will not terminate it. If you do not so notify us, your Account will be terminated and may be permanently deleted, along with your User ID, records, ranks and service information.

That's why, you signed it before you created your first character.

Yeah allready solved that ..... I'm the only user now....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2015
    huskerklg wrote: »
    Reading comprehension failure. He didn't call YOU and exploiter. He said it character binding items was to prevent exploiting. There is a difference.

And also if you have been here from launch you should have known those things have been this way from the beginning. This isn't new or something they changed.

You are free to comment, just as they are free to comment on what you say.

Depends on how you say things but no matter....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• gaalomgaalom Member Posts: 530 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Like other players have said its always been this way, in fact they have freed up things a bit, since launch. My memory may be incorrect but I do believe at launch everything was character bound.

As far as the self appointed mod just ignore him.

Your thoughts are something Cryptic may want to look into doing, if they ever want to balance out the factions. Think about it, at launch due to the Romulan trailer on the website, I was hoping I could play a Romulan. What I found was a complete Federation faction, and a Unique grinding Klingon Faction. Now I can play a Romulan, so it would be cool if I could say transfer everything to my KDF/Romulan toons. I doubt I am the only one who would like a shot at that.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Alright you got me yes I level both chars and indeed I deleted the other one and I was a bit stunned how much of the stuff I had to leave behind not being able to transfer or sell it for dill or EC.... Thats what this is all about... Not being lazy or trying to cheat or what ever.... there is just lots of stuff you can't sell or transfer and you can't put it on exchange because it is already used... That made me sad a bit all the hard work I put in not even buying it because that is not the case....

Except that regardless of what you feel people freely offering their old gear whenever another takes its place on the exchange does tend to kill the MMO concept. Think of it this way, the economy in the world works because there is a constant demand for things and the current crop of things eventually breaks down, spoils, wears out, and so on. So there's always a reason for why people should work to make, find, or otherwise earn new things. But think if EVERYTHING lasted indefinitely, if say your use of an item didn't cause that item to be taken out of circulation. Then at a certain point the economy would collapse, the current crop of things would be sufficient for everyone's needs until the end of time. The exchange (in STO's case) would reach a point of complete saturation and all those items (except for at perhaps the absolute top tier) which might have served as incentives for plaything the game become commodities you pick up for the equivalent of a few pieces of vendor trash.

Basically it would kill the game, just so you wouldn't have to play it a little bit more to earn things. This is why every online game (that I've encountered) which has an open marketplace binds gear to characters/accounts. Its to prevent apocalyptic item inflation.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And honestly, it's a lot nicer in this game than in a lot of other MMOs I've played in the past. In most of them, anything you actually used became bound to character, and most of the meaningful endgame loot from dungeons/STFs/whatever was Bind On Pickup, so it couldn't even be auctioned.

Really, I was kind of surprised how much stuff could be shared in this game.

(Maybe it's modern vs older attitudes? I ran into similar things when I played Neverwinter - people getting all incensed at dungeon drops being character bound... "how can I make any money if I can't auction every single thing I get in the game!?!?!".... and I was just sitting there wondering why they expected dungeon gear to be tradeable. /shrug)
  • valianttomevalianttome Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    Is this new? I had a TR-116 that I swapped around my characters for a bit, equipping and using it on two of them, as recently as ten or so days ago.

I believe some of the more notable items that can be Crafted are Account Bound. I currently have a Mk XIV Omni Phaser Beam that I threw over onto my Delta Recruit so she could use the Upgrade tokens to bump it up from Mk XII. I plan to eventually throw that Omni back onto my Main for a Phaser boat Im building.
  • fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Crafted items are not.. nor have they ever been bound at all.

My main crafted pretty much everything my Delta Recruit is using.

Crafted weapons and consoles are all over the exchange, I sell crafted items all the time.

They're not even account bound, much less character bound.

They bind on equip...
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They bind on equip...

They become account bound on equip, not character bound.

Rep gear and some mission rewards are character bind on pickup. Loot consoles are character bind on equip.

Most loot weapons, loot cores/engines/deflectors and all crafting that I know if is account bound on equip. As long as you have an account bank you can pass them to your other characters. I do this all the time with weapons and (crafted) consoles.

Maybe OP is confused because he has never used the account bank?
    edited May 2015
    Depends on how you say things but no matter....

Also depend on how you read them. You clearly didn't read a clearly made statement that wasn't specifically about you. You ASSUMED more than what was written or said. So it is on you, not him.
    edited May 2015

cryptic`s not becoming paranoid, it has always been this way with certain items being bound to character given your join date I am surprised you haven't noticed it before, I found that out within the first few weeks of play.

as it happens I fervently agree with cryptic's reasons for these restrictions.
    as there is another thread of a similar vain I wont bother repeating my reply but you can read it here >
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=23698311&postcount=32
    if you want to.