test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

AFK Penalty: Minor Rant

ghostravynghostravyn Member Posts: 59 Arc User
Hurray for players who have "aweomesauced" their builds, but there is no way I should incur an AFK penalty while being fully active in an Advanced STF.

The penalties prevent me from earning full rewards even though I was fully active in the event. I can't advance my own builds if I can't earn the rewards.

I fully support anti-AFK policies, but the system you have in place now penalizes me for not being fully tuned while attempting awards to become fully tuned.

EDIT: Oh look! I even earned a BAN from being able to play public games! NICE! Lets see where the heck the Customer Service phone line is located at ...
Corrupted Souls, Mindflayer server
uKc2R.gif
Post edited by ghostravyn on

Comments

• peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There are more then enough threads about this exact subject. You should post in one of them instead.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The threshold for incurring the AFK penalty is remarkably difficult to get. You either were actually AFK, or you did so little DPS that you contributed nothing to the team. Unless you were with an uber team that was doing a combined 300k or something...

So my question would be, what exactly happened?
  • ghostravynghostravyn Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Perhaps, but nothing under the AFK Penalty search or the first three pages of this Feedback thread showed anything comparable. I do agree that if I lived on the STO forums I probably would have an in-depth history on this, but I don't live on the forums.

I would also propose that the Feedback forum is not specifically for player-to-player communication, but rather player-to-developer. I am sorry if you have seen all this before, but I didn't communicate my displeasure at this situation to share with you, but rather post a message to Cryptic/PW without tying up GMs and Tickets with something that will most likely fall into long-term resolution, if anything.
    uKc2R.gif
    edited April 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    The threshold for incurring the AFK penalty is remarkably difficult to get. You either were actually AFK, or you did so little DPS that you contributed nothing to the team. Unless you were with an uber team that was doing a combined 300k or something...

So my question would be, what exactly happened?

The queue lasted 4 minutes, so I am going to assume it was the Uber Team/DPS issue.

As a recent Delta recruit I don't have long-term knowledge of a DPS imbalance. I simply noted that I have completed all of my Reputation queues and now need specialized equipment tokens. I played the regular queues to learn the fights, and entered my first public PUG for the advanced in order to get the specific items.

Admiral 55 flying D'Deridex upgrade, X-XII Polaron weapons.
    Entered Infected: Conduit advanced queue at 9:57.
    Commenced attack and defeated initial group.
    Transitioned to attacking left-side group.
    Received penalty/reduced rewards at 10:01.

If we're making a bum-rush for the main conduit, fine. But this behavior isn't learned in the basic queues - we did the center, left, right, main and final cube attacks in that order.

As far as I am concerned, I have done what I should have done. My ship is at least average for entering the STFs and I have done repeated basic runs to make sure I knew the fight and wouldn't be a detriment based on knowledge. I was fully engaged during the entirety of the run.

The only assumption I can come to is that at least one member was flying top tier gear. This is fine, I don't have a problem with other players, but the queue system MUST do a better job at balancing out the teams. It cannot match my ship, which probably needs 20 minutes to grind through the STF, with ships that can alpha-strike the end goal within 4 minutes.

If all queues are like this, then it becomes an issue where the little dogs are always left behind because we can't compete in an environment like that.
    uKc2R.gif
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    4mins. huh?

That's roughly 100k-250k dps combined, assuming it was actually 4mins.

Now, 1% of that is = 1k-2.5k dps.

If you couldn't achieve even this small amount, than odds are you truly deserved the penalty!

Even in such a powerful group, you should have been able to pull even that small amount of weight.

So sorry, I don't buy the story, not one bit.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    4mins. huh?

If you couldn't achieve even this small amount, than odds are you truly deserved the penalty!

Even in such a powerful group, you should have been able to pull even that small amount of weight.

you'll be surprised how many people don't even get 1,000 dps.

You point out you're using mark X weapons.

Advanced quere requires mk XIII to XIV weapons. There's a huge difference between mk X and XIV.

It's not expensive to upgrade to XIV. (it's expensive to get them to epic though)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Advanced quere requires mk XIII to XIV weapons.

Um, nothing in the game requires Mk XIII to XIV weapons. Nothing requires Mk XII weapons.

Outside of folks competing on the DPS League tables...the requirements for Advanced content and even the majority of Elite content is almost nothing.
    edited April 2015
    Um, nothing in the game requires Mk XIII to XIV weapons. Nothing requires Mk XII weapons.

Outside of folks competing on the DPS League tables...the requirements for Advanced content and even the majority of Elite content is almost nothing.

well, it's not an absolute requirement, but it sure helps... even if it's just very rare or rare...
    edited April 2015
    4mins. huh?

I appreciate your scepticism, but you don't know me at all, so please don't question my integrity. I don't ride the forums so there's no value in me starting some sort of pity party here. I'm also not eleven (actually closer to five times that value) and having some sort of emotionally distorted tirade. I can only tell you what I pulled from my Combat tab.
    uKc2R.gif
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    AFKers have rights, too!
    XzRTofz.gif
    edited April 2015
    ghostravyn wrote: »
    I appreciate your scepticism, but you don't know me at all, so please don't question my integrity. I don't ride the forums so there's no value in me starting some sort of pity party here. I'm also not eleven (actually closer to five times that value) and having some sort of emotionally distorted tirade. I can only tell you what I pulled from my Combat tab.

you didn't post your damage.

and you posted your weapons, which were a bit underrated for advanced.
  • sammyspet1sammyspet1 Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    AFKers have rights, too!

yeah they have the right to shut up and like it, no one likes a leach as AFKers should have longer bans the only way they will learn not to LEACH off other players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wanted to beat the Delta Meme n00bs LOL
    Join Date a player made up is NOT correct!
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Could it have simply been a lack of experience?

Back when I began playing, if there had been an AFK penalty based upon lack of damage, I would have earned enough to ban me forever or at least until the next century.

Even with the 'old' STFs, playing on Normal did not prepare one properly for playing the Advanced ones. Now, that difference is even more obvious. They both take place in Space and they both have Borg in them. Any similarities beyond these are purely by accident.

There is far more to playing well than having good gear. if the ship is in the wrong place or in a cooldown mode or BOff abilities are not activated in the correct order or the wrong ones are chosen, all of these will have an immediate impact upon DPS. And in STFs, DPS is King. Has been for a very long time. A bad or inexperienced Captain will garner an AFK penalty with Gold MK XIV faster than a seasoned Captain in the same STF running all Green Mk XI. For obvious reasons.

As to the 'Forum riding' and other comments. Don't feed the trolls. They just pile on and laugh. And firing back makes you no better than they are.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited April 2015
    As to the 'Forum riding' and other comments. Don't feed the trolls. They just pile on and laugh. And firing back makes you no better than they are.

okay okay, we'll leave him alone and stop feeding him
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    okay okay, we'll leave him alone and stop feeding him

He kinda earned a little payback though. But with this crowd, it will reach critical mass far quicker than anyone really wants.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited April 2015
    He kinda earned a little payback though. But with this crowd, it will reach critical mass far quicker than anyone really wants.

thats soo true
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    you didn't post your damage.

and you posted your weapons, which were a bit underrated for advanced.

X-XII is fine if not overkill for ISA. He wasn't running HSA...he wasn't doing an Elite. With it being a 4 minute run, he likely simply lacked the targets to do any DPS - not that he wasn't capable of doing any DPS.

Would be looking at a group in the 155k+ range for ~4 minutes. If somebody were prepared for that sort of run, being the tag-a-long so to speak - they could position themselves to get in the hits they needed to avoid the AFK penalty. If somebody's used to flying with groups in the 35-45k range...they're likely going to end up out in the cold - out of position with nothing to shoot at cause it's all dead.

It gets into pushing for there to be an ISE (as well as Elites for the other queues lacking an Elite tier).

Cause it's what, 1%, or is that an old wives' tale sort of thing? So ~1550 or so DPS...meaning the rest averaged 38k+?

Kind of sounds like some folks couldn't find a fifth for their private run and decided to troll the public queues...
  • shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    X-XII is fine if not overkill for ISA. He wasn't running HSA...he wasn't doing an Elite. With it being a 4 minute run, he likely simply lacked the targets to do any DPS - not that he wasn't capable of doing any DPS.

Would be looking at a group in the 155k+ range for ~4 minutes. If somebody were prepared for that sort of run, being the tag-a-long so to speak - they could position themselves to get in the hits they needed to avoid the AFK penalty. If somebody's used to flying with groups in the 35-45k range...they're likely going to end up out in the cold - out of position with nothing to shoot at cause it's all dead.

It gets into pushing for there to be an ISE (as well as Elites for the other queues lacking an Elite tier).

Cause it's what, 1%, or is that an old wives' tale sort of thing? So ~1550 or so DPS...meaning the rest averaged 38k+?

Kind of sounds like some folks couldn't find a fifth for their private run and decided to troll the public queues...

It could also have been 5 people pugging, and 4 of them were doing relatively high damage.
    giphy.gif
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015

well, it's not an absolute requirement, but it sure helps... even if it's just very rare or rare...

L50, Pathfinder, running 4 of the Blue arrays off the Connie - tossed through upgrade window to make them Mk XII, The DR "Twink" photon, and I put forth 4k DPS...

Using BFaW and AP-B.

And there is the "rub" - BFaW.

Bet you someone lacking BFaW, in an "identical" build, might be just on the wrong side of 1.5k and therefore subject to the whims of the AFK monster.

Do we need this added to the introduction screen? Pack BFaW or else? :P
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    edited April 2015

Here's the thing, you show as a LTS and, a join date pretty well being close to, if not 2yrs. of possible game experience.

Now, despite not being an avid forum goer, if we base that off of your post count, you should still be veteran enough to know this game is mainly dps focused.

With that said, the story provided as to how you achieved an afk penalty, would point towards your lack of participation.

Which would indicate like so many other's, that you were in fact leeching to some degree, even if it was a small degree or, a large degree.

To prevent such a penalty, isn't really that hard to prevent and, can be avoided quite easily in 99% of all cases.

Only that rare 1%, can one be obtained by means usually outside of your own control.

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I appreciate your scepticism, but you don't know me at all, so please don't question my integrity.

You got an AFK Penalty even though "fully active", meaning in a decently long missiontime you were unable to contribute 1% of damage (as someone other calculated <3k). That means advanced is not for you, at least not with the build you are flying.

You dont need epic mk xiv gear for advanced (and not even elite), normally players with your problem make fundamental errors with their builds. So, if you want to enhance it, post it on http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/ and give us the link, then we can help you. I guess you can double or triple your current contribution without taking dilithum or EC in your hands.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It is usually easy to avoid AFK penalty...If you're trying to avoid it. That is, if you're trying to be AFK.

For example, I'd imagine you could get pretty far in ISA just shooting the gate. Unlike the real enemies, even a high-DPS group can't kill it so fast you can't get your shots in. Unless it doesn't count because it insta-heals or something...

But if you're trying to help your teammates instead of looking for free targets to get some damage in before the others kill it...these cases happen.

The AFK penalty is a bad joke.
    edited April 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    The AFK penalty is a bad joke.

its a great idea, and if it works it would be great as im sick of people going AFK and doing nothing in PvE/STF. I do not help leachs out as they are parisites and get what they desurve END OF.

if you disagree and like leachs save it and make up a channel so you and the leachs can do all the PvE/STF you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• ryakidrysryakidrys Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    You dont need epic mk xiv gear for advanced (and not even elite), normally players with your problem make fundamental errors with their builds. So, if you want to enhance it, post it on http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/ and give us the link, then we can help you. I guess you can double or triple your current contribution without taking dilithum or EC in your hands.

Usually, a player who isn't doing well in STFs, will find that bridge officer re-training can make a very noticeable improvement. I second the idea to use the skill planner, create a link to a build and post it for community feedback.
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Take the advice on the builds, and how to get advice on builds.

This hasn't been mentioned, but you never said you finished the event. You said you only got as far as the left group after the initial group. You got the reduced reward. Doesn't that mean the mission failed, bye bye, cool down incurred, all is normal?

It was advanced and from what I recall that's what happens in advanced.
    edited April 2015
    sammyspet1 wrote: »
    yeah they have the right to shut up and like it, no one likes a leach as AFKers should have longer bans the only way they will learn not to LEACH off other players.

Now see, I am ALL FOR AFKers to get their just deserts! I surely didn't enter the STF to leach at all, I came in to do my fair share of fighting.

I really wish I had combatlog set, so I could post and evaluate results. While I was TRIBBLE around here and filling out tickets the game timed out and I lost even the combat tab text (I am still kicking myself in the butt for that one.) I don't like it, but if you feel you need to call me a liar for what I experienced then do so. I am, however, being fully honest with you.

Re: DPS being the nature of the game ...

This right here is probably my big problem. DPS used to NOT be the rule. Full party play used to be the rule, and science ships and engineering ships used to be the thing as well. Perhaps a good part of my problem is that my build for this character is a big, fat-TRIBBLE tank, pulling aggro and high on resists and repairs, including shield and hull repairs for teammates. I should have paid more attention to my inner voice when I was looking at and wondering about the extremely heavy tactical focus of the 5U and T6 ships.

I've been a lifetime member of STO since it was first offered (and beta tester from the first moments they had beta testing), and am STILL a member of a fleet that was made within minutes of the servers going live (we had a great membership for about 4 months and then died). However, I haven't been playing recently. In fact, I don't think I've logged much time at all the past year or so, and most of that has been mostly doing other stuff (Doffs, Rep). Evidently the game's paradigm has changed, and I missed it.

All that being said, this is what I can tell you ...

Game started at 9:57. First group fell fast, and I moved over and started engaging the second group. I assume one or two individuals made a beeline for the center gate and took that down, because the game offered its completion message at 10:01 (I even heard someone cloaking right upon entrance - did they cloak and then fly to the back of the center gate?). During this entire time I was firing and shield-casting and hull repairing, and then a great big "WTF!!" when the reward window opened.

If I was AFKing, then I fully deserve the penalty. But DPS inequality shouldn't be the basis of AFK, especially in an advanced STF that provides the rewards you need to upgrade with. Unfortunately, I can't come up with a perfect system so I guess this is what we're stuck with. Needless to say, I'll just stick with completing my Delta missions and then park the useless thing and go back to my Tactical for group play from here forward.
    uKc2R.gif
    edited April 2015
    Now see, I am ALL FOR AFKers to get their just deserts! I surely didn't enter the STF to leach at all, I came in to do my fair share of fighting.

Then you wouldnt be here complaining

I really wish I had combatlog set, so I could post and evaluate results. While I was TRIBBLE around here and filling out tickets the game timed out and I lost even the combat tab text (I am still kicking myself in the butt for that one.) I don't like it, but if you feel you need to call me a liar for what I experienced then do so. I am, however, being fully honest with you.

you filed a ticket for being afk or if its a faulty system, for the record one of my friends is a low dps'er and he has 0 problems and their friends and their friends this is a strange bug people say when they get caught out. if you did file a ticket you should be ashamed, that is a waste of dev time. with all the bugs that should be fixed over 1 thats in players heads. no offence but it is.

This right here is probably my big problem. DPS used to NOT be the rule. Full party play used to be the rule, and science ships and engineering ships used to be the thing as well. Perhaps a good part of my problem is that my build for this character is a big, fat-TRIBBLE tank, pulling aggro and high on resists and repairs, including shield and hull repairs for teammates. I should have paid more attention to my inner voice when I was looking at and wondering about the extremely heavy tactical focus of the 5U and T6 ships.

I've been a lifetime member of STO since it was first offered (and beta tester from the first moments they had beta testing), and am STILL a member of a fleet that was made within minutes of the servers going live (we had a great membership for about 4 months and then died). However, I haven't been playing recently. In fact, I don't think I've logged much time at all the past year or so, and most of that has been mostly doing other stuff (Doffs, Rep). Evidently the game's paradigm has changed, and I missed it.

Game started at 9:57. First group fell fast, and I moved over and started engaging the second group. I assume one or two individuals made a beeline for the center gate and took that down, because the game offered its completion message at 10:01 (I even heard someone cloaking right upon entrance - did they cloak and then fly to the back of the center gate?). During this entire time I was firing and shield-casting and hull repairing, and then a great big "WTF!!" when the reward window opened.

i wasnt in that but sounds like a fail to me....

If I was AFKing, then I fully deserve the penalty. But DPS inequality shouldn't be the basis of AFK, especially in an advanced STF that provides the rewards you need to upgrade with. Unfortunately, I can't come up with a perfect system so I guess this is what we're stuck with. Needless to say, I'll just stick with completing my Delta missions and then park the useless thing and go back to my Tactical for group play from here forward.

you have 2 years of STO Exp how can you not know that its DPS etc. something doesnt add up here with all of that, may i remind you that people put a positive light on themselfs to make them selfs feel better. why dont you post your build set up so people can give you advise if it is a DPS problem...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

edited April 2015

Dps was always prevalent in the past, it's just now it is made more obvious, big time.

Even a single lt. tac vessel, should be able to perform an easy 8k-10k dps, that at 1% to the teams overall, would require a team combined 800k dps, meaning the other 4 player's combine dps not including yours, would put them somewhere in the neighborhood of 200k dps each.

How often does a 808k=810k dps group pop into an advanced queue?

Probably not very often, unless they are a pre-made group but, this isn't to say they don't group 4 together and, get a pick-up 5th via random queue matching.

But, than again, how many 200k dps player's are there in game and, how often would you ever run across 4 of them at the same time?

You can have a tank/healer but, that tank/healer need bring some level of adequate dps to the party.

They can't be simply a floating repair station and/or, a floating tri-tanium planetoid, doing nothing really in the way of delivering less dps, than even a shuttle at the same time.

The penalty looks for this and, as you see punishes those it deems to qualify, as just a waste of time as any other afker.

It doesn't discriminate.

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Strange, at least since it went F2P you had to kill things to accomplish a mission and at the time escorts were the thing because they could tank and do focused dps (FAW kicked in two years later). Of course, at these times it hurt much more if someone was not doing his job, as dps, robustness and heals werent as abdundant as they are now.

The combatlog would have been really nice, especially the damagaIn. Its my guess -since no data is presented- your tank was most likely not tanking at all.
    I've been a lifetime member of STO since it was first offered (and beta tester from the first moments they had beta testing),

I like those sentences. I am watching and playing football (for americans: soccer) since childhood, yet I couldnt hold myself in an amateur league. Just doing something a long time doesnt mean one is average or better at it than newer players.
    If I was AFKing, then I fully deserve the penalty. But DPS inequality shouldn't be the basis of AFK, especially in an advanced STF that provides the rewards you need to upgrade with.

I would be with you if the penalty would be at >10%. But 1%? Pls, its hard to call that amount of "damage" damage. Most pets (the ones already on a ship, rare ones) can do enough to avoid afk penalty.

FYI, ISA (all STFs) ends when everything on the map is destroyed, not just the gate. Or, of course, if it fails because there was not enough CC/DPS to prevent the nanite spheres from healing the transformer.
    Evidently the game's paradigm has changed, and I missed it.

Kill the enemies. The faster the better. That paradigm was in the game since launch. I dont have to have been there, since its the fundamental rule of combat games.

P.S.:And of course, instead of accepting help, you still blame others (in your case the system and possibly -your post imply that- your team).
    edited April 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    And of course, instead of accepting help, you still blame others (in your case the system and possibly -your post imply that- your team).

its far far easyer to blame others then accept the blame, as he knows we have no way to prove if hes telling the truth or not..:rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]