test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Would players be happy with....

jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
Would the players of STO be happy if they implemented the Kobali as the next faction along the lines as they have done the romulan republic?

As a player ive found them intruiging after the way cryptic implemeted them into the game and it would give the game a firm foothold in the delta quad.

so how do the rest of you feel about if we got the kobali as the next faction in STO.

Keep it civil people

Just give your answer and a explanation why or why not :)
Post edited by jorantomalak on

Comments

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I doubt it. Cardassians have been requested by players for the longest time and are more than likely the next candidate for a playable faction.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think the large and vocal group that deise the kobali and have been asking for cryptic to let them help the vaadwaur commit genocide would be upset.

I don't particularly se any narrative value in adding them, I think cardassians would sell better and open up a lot more story potential.

The cooperative Borg would be more likely as a delta faction, but there the ships would be noxious.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    I doubt it. Cardassians have been requested by players for the longest time and are more than likely the next candidate for a playable faction.
    I think the large and vocal group that deise the kobali and have been asking for cryptic to let them help the vaadwaur commit genocide would be upset.

I don't particularly se any narrative value in adding them, I think cardassians would sell better and open up a lot more story potential.

The cooperative Borg would be more likely as a delta faction, but there the ships would be noxious.

Oh i agree the cardassians should be the next faction dont get me wrong but if we dont get them and they decided to do a kobali faction would you be angry or pleased if they did.

Thats the question im presenting to everyone :)
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    no no no.. youve got it all wrong, Se 11: all factions are 1 new faction - Iconians slaves...
  • Options
    moskatamoskata Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I couldn't see myself play as a Kobali. Honestly they wouldn't interest me. No other reason. No hate. Just no interest.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A playable species perhaps, not a faction in their own right however...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Utterly pointless to add more factions, if they're tied to Fed and KDF like the RR is..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    And, at the risk of being inflammatory, Geko basically said having two factions was undesirable (leaving me with the impression that it was too much work). I don't think STO will see a fourth faction, but new playable species seems like a given at some point.
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Kobali are not an important and powerful enough faction in the Delta quadrant to warrent them to be the token faction of the Delta Quadrant.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    And, at the risk of being inflammatory, Geko basically said having two factions was undesirable (leaving me with the impression that it was too much work). I don't think STO will see a fourth faction, but new playable species seems like a given at some point.

If there are no more factions then whats the point of playing :confused:
  • Options
    shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    An entire faction based off an alien-of-the-week species from Voyager? Not interested, thanks.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "Undine faction please!" - me back in 2012
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Presuming you do mean playable factions? Why do we even need more playable factions? What will it actually bring to the game?

Before you say more episodes, it may do, but only up until about level 15-20 equivalent content, before that new faction starts running the existing episodes...

The only thing of note that a new faction brings to STO is a new range of playable ships and character customisation/trait options...

The Kobali will not fit the bill here... The Cardassians, are the obvious choice for any new faction and they will undoubtedly be another sub-faction, like the Romulans were...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think the Sontarans -- sorry, potatoheads -- wait, Hierarchy, would work better than the zombies.

(No, I'm not serious.)
  • Options
    sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited April 2015

The answer kinda depends on what you meant by 'no more.'

If you meant 'no additional' factions, well, I'm not sure what to say, since my understanding is plenty of MMOs get by with just two, and once upon a time, gamers made due without even that to provide a flimsy pretense for PvP.

If you mean 'no longer any' factions, well, I don't think that's happening, either. Cryptic seems to have, at the very least, accepted that they have three factions to maintain. Moreover, there's something somewhat more authentic about the direction STO is moving; disparate interstellar nations working together despite their differences for the good of everyone involved was common underlying theme in Star Trek, when it wasn't the main point of a given episode.

Of course, Rodenberry probably would've preferred diplomacy and science providing the solution, but as I gamer, I'll be happy to take the militarized version of his vision that STO runs on.
  • Options
    drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't see the point of adding new factions, especially one-shot wonders from the show.

Now mind, I would like to see the Orions split out into their own mini-faction like the Romulans along with Gorns and maybe some others. But while it would be nice, there are so many other things that I consider more important.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    New mini-factions just require an initial investment of time and resources. All that is needed is a couple of social zones, a bunch of missions, ships, and costume options. Then it is just adding more stuff to the C-Store. When was the last time that the Romulan mini-faction and Klingon faction got unique mission content, maps, or gameplay after LoR?
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    New mini-factions just require an initial investment of time and resources. All that is needed is a couple of social zones, a bunch of missions, ships, and costume options. Then it is just adding more stuff to the C-Store. When was the last time that the Romulan mini-faction and Klingon faction got unique mission content, maps, or gameplay after LoR?

For all that work they could create (guessing) 3-4 extra new episodes for the existing 3 factions to play. That's even if they didn't do tutorial and level-up missions.

I'd rather have new content for the existing 3 factions. They can add Kobali as a race for the existing factions if people really want to play a living dead girl.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    For all that work they could create (guessing) 3-4 extra new episodes for the existing 3 factions to play. That's even if they didn't do tutorial and level-up missions.

I'd rather have new content for the existing 3 factions. They can add Kobali as a race for the existing factions if people really want to play a living dead girl.

But a new faction means more costumes to sell, more ships to sell, and more slots to sell. Cryptic doesn't like to make unique endgame content for each faction as proved by Gateway to Gre'thor and Brotherhood of the Sword queues coming next week.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    But a new faction means more costumes to sell, more ships to sell, and more slots to sell. Cryptic doesn't like to make unique endgame content for each faction as proved by Gateway to Gre'thor and Brotherhood of the Sword queues coming next week.

Right, I meant 3-4 new episodes of cross-faction content. If we ever get more faction-specific content in the future (other than revamps of old content) it will probably be Federation.
  • Options
    kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    sunfrancks wrote: »
    Utterly pointless to add more factions, if they're tied to Fed and KDF like the RR is..

Absolutely this. Don't need another half a faction. A new faction needs to be complete experience that is not influenced in any way by the existing factions.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I have zero interest in playing a necrophiliac faction. I do have plenty of interest in eliminating said faction from the Delta Quadrant. I cant see how the Federation would put aside their prime directive and help grave robbers. The KDF would see zero honor in helping them and would most likely be of the mind to eliminate them.

Cirran
  • Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Given the reception the Romulans received even after getting their very own expansion, I think the odds on any new faction are roughly around the odds of Tom Paris replacing Admiral Quinn.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Given the reception the Romulans received even after getting their very own expansion, I think the odds on any new faction are roughly around the odds of Tom Paris replacing Admiral Quinn.

He already did. It just didn't last long so Admiral Quinn had to come back out of retirement.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would much rather see more development of KDF & Romulan factions, starting with cleaning up all the costume & ship deficiencies. Additional content would also be appreciated, but these two essential factions have been neglected far too long... :(
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013