test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So... why the obsession with the game "ending" suddenly?

themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
Tacofangs pointed out in tweet that we have gone from asking What's Next after a season launches to demanding to know what the plans are for the NEXT season.

Why are we doing this? A good number of people in the various chats I frequent in-game see the Iconian War season as "the last season" and are adamant that the game is closing down sometime after the season launches.

Most conversations consist of "not buying any T-6 content or keys for Iconian boxes because the game is slated to shut down at the conclusion of this season."

First of all, I need to see some actual proof. Second, why would the game suddenly end after the launch of a season? And third, if you suddenly withhold cashflow to the game it WILL close!

I've worked for companies that have changed owners and had layoffs and are still around churning out product and services. I don't see PW's trouble as a sign, nor do I worry about the 'layoffs.' In fact since the last changing of the guard (new Big Boss) certain bugs have been stomped on, and there has been an increase in communication. Don't believe me? Look at twitter, Dev posts and so forth.

Since I joined this game all the way back at the end of Beta, people have been crying "oh woe the game is on the verge of shutting down." Every time there is a hiccup, every time there is a glitch, and every time there is a news-post about corporate.

So out with it, STO-ers. Why do we as a fanbase have this morbid insistence that the game is constantly on the verge of failure and ruin... why are we all so convinced (since season 4) that the game is one more release away from shutdown?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to quote Tommy Lee Jones from Men in Black, with one of my favourite quotes:

"A person is smart. People are dumb."

I don't know why people are saying this is the last season. I don't understand why people are saying this. Is it because we've been building up to the Iconian war? Yay! It's here! I bet we can get a few good seasons out of the war before it finally comes to a close. Frankly, I'd be surprised if the war did end after only one season. But for why everyone is saying the game is doomed? It's always the case. Alot of doom and naysayers on the forums, cos alot of the folk who enjoy the game are busy actually playing the game.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    bunansabunansa Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Its not the last season, season 11 will be the return of the borg, season 12 will be the return of the kdf/fed war, season 13 will be the return of the romulans with another new planet, season 14 will be dinosaurs swimming in water with lasers on their heads...you see the pattern? :rolleyes:
    tumblr_ndmkqm59J31r5ynioo2_r2_500.gif

• Options
    spyralpegacyonspyralpegacyon Member Posts: 408 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Because dooooooooom is incredibly lazy bait.
    tumblr_n1hmq4Xl7S1rzu2xzo2_400.gif
  • Options
    doktormarengodoktormarengo Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    People need to calm their ****. :rolleyes:

PWE rarely.. rarely closes down a game.For example, Champions online is still kept open and active, despite a very small player base. This game has NOTHING to worry about... it's one of their top money makers. Why in the world would they close it down.
  • Options
    themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    People need to calm their ****. :rolleyes:

Because it needs to be repeated. This has been going on since the Atari meltdown/PW buyout.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I honestly think the path of reasoning is because a lot of recent posts have been saying that this is the beginning of the conclusion to the story they've been working on for the past 5 years (re: everything with the Iconians). To a lot of people, that means that the game is "ending".

I highly doubt it will be. Season 11-12'll be the end of the Iconian story, but there's still many more faces to punch: the Borg haven't gotten a fair shake in quite a long time and there's still many other threats out there.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tacofangs just posted in another thread that he's seen story for post Season 10 already.

I've seen comments from Trendy that STO is one of their top three games (PWE, not just Cryptic).

I don't think we need to worry about the game ending.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    There's also the fact that I think some of these people think that because most of the story is tailored to 1 toon, this game will conclude like it's an RPG game. It's an MMO and those usually don't end.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, doom posts have been around forever, but I think this is a bit different.

The Iconians have been a looming threat on the horizion for a long time. And if the war with them is finally happening, that obviously suggests to some people that maybe the story STO is telling is coming to its conclusion, and thus the game.

Of course... There are always ways to add more. The Iconians may seem to be behind a lot so far, but that doesn't mean there won't be other things to worry about.

The Dominion, the Borg, the Undine. They are all still out there. Even if the Iconian threats halts all "internal" conflict for a while - ending it doesn't mean we're going to all sing happy songs around the camp fire. The next crisis will present itself.

The game certainly hasn't run out of potential story to tell, since it's Star Trek. But the big threat "Iconians" is kinda blocking sight on that, at least for some people.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Human psychology - Fear of loss, fear of the unknown

also lack of imagination. we've built towards this epic confrontation for over 5 years.. people have a hard time seeing passed what they understand..
  • Options
    crazyned1066crazyned1066 Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think the mood/perception that this is the end may be due to the way they're hyping the Iconian war as the climax to a long running story.

If you look back, the Iconians were always sort of in the background as a potentially sinister force, but they weren't too big of a consideration, and they certainly weren't regarded as major threat. I would say that they did a great job at selling this new story line, but before season 9.5 I never really considered them to be an ultimate challenge.

But as with all Star Trek episodes, there is always another episode and a new challenge. I for one, don't believe that resolving the Iconian war will necessarily mean the end of the adventure. If the alliance was taking on the Q continuum, I'd be worried.

Another factor that may be in the players psyche is the way that all Star Trek series end between 3-7 seasons. :)
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why do we obsess? Because we are Star Trek fans.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A lot of people view the Iconians as the Main Big Arc Big Bads the whole game was revving up to get to as "End Game", for real. To present it now, at a nice round number of season 10, it seems like it is a good time to close up shop... plus with all the complaints and internal struggles of Cryptic/PWE

It's a combination of wanting to move on, and just seeing things are falling into place as a good ending point... but to something even better, a STO 2.0 if you will... extending more seasons on this engine... it felt a bit outdated even when it first came out to be honest with you
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well, Alien Domain is coming out soon. I guess people cannot bear needing to choose between two Star Trek MMOs so they assume this one must be closing down. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    zeatrexzeatrex Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    By everything I have read, it seems people didn't wanted this war to come.

So the Iconians are the main threat in the game and yet now that they appear (after 5 bloody years) they can not appear?.. So when do you want them to appear?.. 2050?

This is a video game, this is all about the imagination.
    Once the Iconians are beaten, PVE/Cryptic will come out with another force that maybe enslaved the Iconians or were the ones that gave the Iconians the technology they have or whatever. It is very easy to keep a game going story-wise especially when $$$$ is involved.

This isn't the end, stop being silly.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Well, Alien Domain is coming out soon. I guess people cannot bear needing to choose between two Star Trek MMOs so they assume this one must be closing down. :)

Play STO or a game that is far worse than STO without any hope of exploration or the other elements that make Star Trek great. Tough choice.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Play STO or a game that is far worse than STO without any hope of exploration or the other elements that make Star Trek great. Tough choice.
    Considering how many people around here who seem to hate STO but cannot bring themselves to stop playing the game it does not seem like a tough choice to me at all. Trek fans are apparently weak-willed. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    "We didn't listen."

(...)

"There will be sacrifices that must be made. If you don't succeed today, there might not be a tomorrow."

Just throwing this here for you resident conspirators. :rolleyes:
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    themarie wrote: »

Why are we doing this? A good number of people in the various chats I frequent in-game see the Iconian War season as "the last season" and are adamant that the game is closing down sometime after the season launches.

Most conversations consist of "not buying any T-6 content or keys for Iconian boxes because the game is slated to shut down at the conclusion of this season."

A few reasons come to mind :

- Ppl having trouble imagining a greater foe then the Iconians .
    (see " too much hype for way too long" for more info)

- Cryptic is riding the "power sells" pony for all it's worth lately , without giving ppl the time needed to get bored with their latest toy .
    (some companies do that before they close up shop / shut down an MMO)

- Usual jitters before an uncertain time .
    (in the last two years we knew that the game was heading toward Romulan / Delta Quadrant content / expansions . Right now with the Iconians everything is a bit vauge , and S.10 is a bit slim on the content side from what we know of it so far)
  • Options
    zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bunansa wrote: »
    Its not the last season, season 11 will be the return of the borg, season 12 will be the return of the kdf/fed war, season 13 will be the return of the romulans with another new planet, season 14 will be dinosaurs swimming in water with lasers on their heads...you see the pattern? :rolleyes:

Actually, following that pattern shouldn't season 14 be return of the jedi? :rolleyes: If so, then I am really looking forward to finally getting a nanopulse edge Tsunkatse Falchion. :D
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • Options
    thenoobcamperthenoobcamper Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    zeatrex wrote: »
    By everything I have read, it seems people didn't wanted this war to come.

So the Iconians are the main threat in the game and yet now that they appear (after 5 bloody years) they can not appear?.. So when do you want them to appear?.. 2050?

This is a video game, this is all about the imagination.
    Once the Iconians are beaten, PVE/Cryptic will come out with another force that maybe enslaved the Iconians or were the ones that gave the Iconians the technology they have or whatever. It is very easy to keep a game going story-wise especially when $$$$ is involved.

This isn't the end, stop being silly.

The next "Big Bad" doesn't have to be iconian related at all.

The way people are acting its like there is nowhere to go after the iconian war. As many others have pointed out, Iconian's aren't all Star trek has to offer, not to mention something completely new to the universe.

This is like saying, once WW2 ended, the world stopped spinning. Last time I checked, it didn't
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I am personally kinda hoping that the ENT temporal cold war will rear its ugly head again.

Maybe the iconians are just a faction in it HMMM, HMMMMMMMMM?
  • Options
    lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm part of zobovor's second group, and my concerns have nothing to do with storylines ending. They've monetized everything so hard over the last year compared to previous years that it almost feels like a cash grab before the IP is revoked or imminent shutdown.

They've also thrown us from event to event, which normally is good for me, but burnout's also setting in. It also feels a LOT different from say, Marvel Heroes' weekly events, where you feel like you can hop in any time, get stuff, and go. Here, it's usually a daily login for 2-3 weeks in order to get your one shiny at the end, and that wears you down, and I'm not even getting into having more than one character.

It also feels like they're desperately trying hard to keep metrics and concurrency up around the clock to look better on paper to the PWE mothership, and having seen a few games do that, it's kind of a scary place to be for both devs and players.

Good question, OP.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    lirokai wrote: »
    I'm part of zobovor's second group, and my concerns have nothing to do with storylines ending. They've monetized everything so hard over the last year compared to previous years that it almost feels like a cash grab before the IP is revoked or imminent shutdown.

They've also thrown us from event to event, which normally is good for me, but burnout's also setting in. It also feels a LOT different from say, Marvel Heroes' weekly events, where you feel like you can hop in any time, get stuff, and go. Here, it's usually a daily login for 2-3 weeks in order to get your one shiny at the end, and that wears you down, and I'm not even getting into having more than one character.

It also feels like they're desperately trying hard to keep metrics and concurrency up around the clock to look better on paper to the PWE mothership, and having seen a few games do that, it's kind of a scary place to be for both devs and players.

Good question, OP.

On the flip side (playing devils advocate), the event runs could be because they do have more people playing, and they are trying to keep it that way.

I would think if they are close to shutting down, they wouldn't be hiring new voice actors, and creating new story content
  • Options
    pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

Holy moley. First time I've seen that. It means the end of Sto for sure.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Some people just don't have imagination. They have no idea how they'd continue the story so they say it has to be over, because it couldn't possibly be that the people who write this stuff for a living are better at it.

Then there's of course the haters who have been chanting doom for ages. Because they are "the vast majority of the playerbase" and will all leave any day now if the devs don't give them everything they want.

And I'd imagine there's even some poor newbies that actually believe the above groups are right. Because they read it on the internet, and the internet doesn't lie. Right?

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I am personally kinda hoping that the ENT temporal cold war will rear its ugly head again.

Maybe the iconians are just a faction in it HMMM, HMMMMMMMMM?
    Please no.
    warpangel wrote: »
    Because they are "the vast majority of the playerbase" and will all leave any day now if the devs don't give them everything they want.
    Most already have.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well let me put my hat in and explain why it concerns me.
    First the Iconians have been built up to be the final dungeon boss of the game. Period. Then you have the events over lapping and prizes tossed out so fast that is seems like someone is trying to milk the cow before it gets lead to slaughter.
    Coupled with the rumour that the license is up in 2016.

That gives just under eight months to finish everything up and settle things.

Now with these negatives you have word out that there are storyboards out for post season 10. Storyboards are not a signature saying you are certain to be able to stick around.
    The game makes money. So did City of Heroes, so did Tabula Rasa, and I am sure others can point out games making a profit that were still closed down.

Am I saying STO is doomed? No.
    Will it be shut down? Eventually.

But I can be afraid of that coming. Can't I?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.