test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Alarming skill tray bugs (not just lag)

seifer1701seifer1701 Member Posts: 109 Arc User
edited April 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
I'm seeing this happen repeatedly vs anything from borg and tholians to orions in Fleet Alert STF, places where I have two copies of a skill like Scatter volley 2 and 3, I will activate one ability and they both go on the 15 sec global cool down and the ability does not activate, still single target fire. I've seen it happen with 2 copies of override subsystems, FaW, pretty much anywhere I have 2 copies of something. It's like the global cool down is being applied to both the activated ability and it's like abilities, but the copy that I just attempted to activate does not apply properly.

Am also seeing that after an ability completely cools down, like for example Sci Team, it's lit up and ready to go then when I activate it a new brief cool down blocks me, and that "clock hand" effect that spins around the icon illustrating remaining cool down time returns for 1-5 seconds.

And of course the known lag issues like having to hit an ability icon 5 times to get it to actually work. The skill tray shows the grey over effect of the button being "pushed" in tray but then the ability does not apply. All three issues happen if I activate via mouse click, alt/ctrl/shift + 1-0 keys, or tray binds like space bar.

These happen so frequently I'm starting to pull hair out here, very frustrating when I can't activate a heal and get ko'ed, or when I have to wait an additional 15sec to attempt to activate FaW, Scatter volley, OSS or tact team. Pair these issues with boffs removing themselves, or resetting their own ground skills and the game is becoming near unplayable. :(

FYI just reinstalled the game from scratch last week to try to get rid of client crashes while in STFs (worked). The above issues have been taking place for at least a couple weeks.
Post edited by seifer1701 on

Comments

• makefluxmakeflux Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's a common bug related to loadouts. Cryptic has been unable to fix this for over a year and they have given up as they no longer even list this as a bug. I still have hopes it will be fixed......although it's a game breaking bug for me. I haven't played since January, just to check to see if it's fixed.
  • hawkrunnerhawkrunner Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I believe this issue is connected to lag and dropped packets or something. It seems like the server recognizes that the ability was clicked and starts the cooldown, but the instruction to actually activate the ability was dropped. I too have experienced this with BFAW.

I've also seen strange behavior from Evasive Maneuvers. Sometimes when I click it, it will fail and go on something like a 3 second cooldown, then it lets me click it again and it may work.

But my suspicion is that packets are getting dropped or lost in communication with the servers, leading to partial activation of abilities. Personally if I could choose which packet to drop, I'd rather have the packet containing the instruction to start cooldown get dropped, and let the ability benefit me properly. :D
  • hugin1205hugin1205 Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    so I am not the only one having to click skills several times before they work?

Imagine, youare cloaked, approaching an enemy, activating all the damage buffing skills you have, and then decloaking and attacking.
    And either it turns out that not all skills were activated and your alpha strike becomes a beta test.
    Or you can't decloak and all your skills are now on CD...

this has happened sooo often - esp in PvP against friends it's very annoying.
    18 characters
    KDF: 2 tacs, 2 engs, 3 scis
    KDF Roms: 3 tacs, 1 eng, 1 scis
    FED: 2 tacs, 1 eng, 2 scis
    TOS: 1 tac
    all on T5 rep (up to temporal)
    all have mastered Intel tree (and some more specs Points)
    highest DPS: 60.982
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I dont bother using cloaking device, cryptic wont fix it so it doesnt decloak you when you get a mission hail.
  • internetonsetaddinternetonsetadd Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hawkrunner wrote: »
    I believe this issue is connected to lag and dropped packets or something.

That's been my impression. It seems to get way worse under times of heavy load--where for a solid 10 minutes everyone on your team is lucky to get one FAW/CSV/SS activated per minute. Meanwhile the mission timer keeps ticking down and enemies keep moving.

Issue unresolved/barely acknowledged + season 10 launches next week = I'll let you do the math. Okay, I'll do it for you: it's going to be staggeringly awful.

Not sure why Cryptic doesn't factor game-ruining problems into their otherwise carefully orchestrated strategy to get people to play/spend.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    seifer1701 wrote: »
    ...I will activate one ability and they both go on the 15 sec global cool down and the ability does not activate...

...I activate it a new brief cool down blocks me, and that "clock hand" effect that spins around the icon illustrating remaining cool down time returns for 1-5 seconds.

And of course the known lag issues like having to hit an ability icon 5 times to get it to actually work. The skill tray shows the grey over effect of the button being "pushed" in tray but then the ability does not apply. All three issues happen if I activate via mouse click, alt/ctrl/shift + 1-0 keys, or tray binds like space bar...

...The above issues have been taking place for at least a couple weeks.

Yes, I am experiencing these issues quite a lot lately. Never used to. I'd say it started getting bad for me in the last 1-2 months. I don't know if it's because I've started to become sensitive to the problem or if it is actually getting worse, but I'm really getting unhappy with playing STO lately.

:(

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
    edited April 2015
    Seems much, much worse today than it was, say, late last night. Not looking good for S10 launch.
    edited April 2015
    Aaand not fixed for S10 launch. Space combat is still incredibly laggy and abilities still misfire like mad.

Some testers reported that a fix had come to Tribble, but I guess it hasn't made it to Holodeck. That's a shame.
  • plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    yeah I am too suffering from the same issues. There are areas where it's ok'ish but most of the time, ground and space, the UI is very unresponsive, it's laggy and rubberbanding...and waiting for consoles to pop up.
    edited April 2015
    Seems even worse today than yesterday. Cryptic? You gonna push that fix to Holodeck any time soon?