test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can i buy a ship for real money from a website? and not get banned? do they allow it?

josephdainesjosephdaines Member Posts: 9 Arc User
So, i know if you try to sell a STO account they will ban you, but if i buy a ship from like player auctions, will they ban me?
Post edited by josephdaines on

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,430 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Short answer: Only if you get caught.

I wouldn't do it if I were you. Odds are also pretty high that it's a scam.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • josephdainesjosephdaines Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, i know if you try to sell a STO account they will ban you, but if i buy a ship from like player auctions, will they ban me?
    jonsills wrote: »
    Short answer: Only if you get caught.

I wouldn't do it if I were you. Odds are also pretty high that it's a scam.
    Well then i will not do it, i dont want to get banned at all, or break any of there terms, thanks for the anser.
  • bravecatherinebravecatherine Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Buying from gold sellers is the fastest way to lose you credit card and account.
  • grayfoxjamesgrayfoxjames Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Any real money transactions private or public outside of Cryptic/Perfect World Entertainment goes against the Terms of Service you basically signed when you hit "Agree" in order to play the game. You basically forfeit all your rights as a consumer to Cryptic and they can ban your account forever without any refunds if you do this.

The short answer: Don't do it. Support the game through the right channels even if it costs a buck or two more. Honestly.
    Fleet Admiral Thomas Winston James a.k.a. The Grayfox
    Fleet Leader of:
    Liberty Task Force/Liberty Honor Guard
    Pride of the Federation/Pride of the Empire
    Liberty Guardians
    U.S.S. Liberty, NX-42813-L, T-6 Legendary Odyssey Class

Game Handle: Grayfox@GrayfoxJames
    Armada (STOFA Member Fleet): https://www.libertytaskforce.com/stofa
    Discord: https://discord.gg/bGp9N7z
    Twitter: STOFA@LTFGrayfox
    Email: CSDynamix@Hotmail.com
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Cryptic/PWE (any MMO company really) would never allow you to buy something from someone other than them. If you go outside, they get no cut, and can't have that, plus it makes it much easier for an old player to quit the game and a new player to skip al lot of grind. Remember, Ebay used to allow players to sell stuff that way, but between ownership laws and an army of lawyers (from SOE over Everquest, I think it was?) it isn't allowed anywhere anymore. So if you do it, don't say so on the forums.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015

If you give your financial details to another player, getting banned from the game is the least of your worries.

Goldspammers feed on players who want a cheap workaround... you give them your details, they take your entire identity and rob you blind.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well then i will not do it, i dont want to get banned at all, or break any of there terms, thanks for the anser.

You should do what I do.

#1. Buy Zen only when there is a 15% bonus.
    #2. Buy $50 USD worth of Zen to get an additional 3% Zen bonus. Yeah, that's quite a bit of dough.
    #3. Use your refined dilithium crystals and exchange them for Zen.
    #4. Only buy ships when they are discounted.

If you do all 4 steps, then you can save a bit of real cash and stretch the amount of Zen you purchased with real cash. When I make purchases from the C-Store typically 50% of the Zen comes from the Zen I purchased. The other 50% comes from dilithium that I have exchanged for Zen. This way both me and Cryptic win. Cryptic gets real money from me. I get a decent amount of Zen from my money and stretch that out with Zen I received by exchanging refined dilithium for it.

The drawback of this plan it that it depends on your patience. Can you wait for another ship sale? Even if you cannot wait for another ship sale you can still save stretch out your purchase of Zen by exchanging your refined dilithium for Zen.

Since buying $50 worth of Zen in one shot is a lot of money, that is one step you can skip.
  • foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Gold selling/zen selling/power leveling/ship selling sites for any MMO are all scams these days. You don't want to give any info to them at all.

None of them provide the services they advertise. They will take your credit card info, and any other info you give them and use it for their own fraudulent purposes.

As was said, getting banned from the game would be the least of your worries.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,404 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My advice: wait for a Nigerian prince to give you the opportunity to buy a ship instead.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Dude... If you can afford to go to a non cryptic site to "buy" a ship.. you can go to the zen store.

Solution to most issues is to go to your local market/mall and purchase a 20-50$ cash card.. (visa or master charge). PWI's trasaction center has absolutly no issues with cash cards. They're not tied to your permanant account (bank account) unless you tie them to it.

There's been a bunch of RMT (that Real Money Traders) activity in game lately.

A couple things to note.. as other have stated is a violation of the EULA and if your caught buying or selling your account may be banned.

You cannot trust the RMT's you have absolutly no reason to and shouldn't.. they'll steal from an MMO.. from a corporation.. Stealing from you wont even be a second thought.

There is even a grand old chance that you'll give them money and you'll flat get nothing.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    15.2Without limiting the foregoing, in addition to the User Content rules set forth in Section 16, you agree not to take any of the following actions:

m. trade, sell, auction or otherwise transfer any virtual items or goods of any nature outside the game;

/10 chars.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Once, Cryptic weren't responding to my tickets (which they never do, by the way) about a payment I'd made for Zen and never received. I started a PayPal dispute and they INSTANTLY deactivated my account. I then got a message that unless I dropped the claim, I'd remained locked-out. I did, never got the Zen and now don't bother contacting the mythical customer services or paying a single penny more to the game.
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kayajay wrote: »
    Once, Cryptic weren't responding to my tickets (which they never do, by the way) about a payment I'd made for Zen and never received. I started a PayPal dispute and they INSTANTLY deactivated my account. I then got a message that unless I dropped the claim, I'd remained locked-out. I did, never got the Zen and now don't bother contacting the mythical customer services or paying a single penny more to the game.

Yes, I have never seen a company with as bad a customer service as Cryptic. They just spit out canned responses when they even bother responding. I doubt they even read the complaints we send them. With one exception. If you name a ship or toon "911 Inside Job" they will ban it immediately.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would highly advise against it, if not only for the severe security risk, but the other reasons stated in this thread.

/closed.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Any real money transactions private or public outside of Cryptic/Perfect World Entertainment goes against the Terms of Service you basically signed when you hit "Agree" in order to play the game. You basically forfeit all your rights as a consumer to Cryptic and they can ban your account forever without any refunds if you do this.

If you read the TOS, they can already do so without any reason:

"Please note that regardless of any notice, we reserve the right to discontinue the Service or to terminate or suspend your Account at any time in our sole discretion, for any reason, or for no reason."

So regarding your account, you don't have any rights to start with...
  • noshufflenoshuffle Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Strange Trendy, why doesn't you company take any action against them then, except banning the victim ? It's not only a risk for the users (scam, account hacking, even worse system hacking) but it's harmful for your business as they, we all know who, are running away with your profits. Please, don't tell you can't track those down and shut them out.
    OK, if I have to stay here for a while, your cieling ... looks idious.:D
  • nepsthennepsthen Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    noshuffle wrote: »
    Strange Trendy, why doesn't you company take any action against them then, except banning the victim ? It's not only a risk for the users (scam, account hacking, even worse system hacking) but it's harmful for your business as they, we all know who, are running away with your profits. Please, don't tell you can't track those down and shut them out.

Probably because people just report for spam usually on the character in zone, and not filling out a GM ticket report as well. They also seem to be more on the KDF side, which turns even more people off for playing that faction, until they learn how to create a new tab that disables zone chat.
    DxDiag64 dump 19Feb2016: http://pastebin.com/1c0pkEuw
  • jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    uh, trendy? you forgot to shut the door. :P
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• starwheelerstarwheeler Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2015

yes you can dont worry if the sellers can send you message in game it is becose criptic alowd it store like egpal.com and other
  • rancidmojorancidmojo Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My advice: wait for a Nigerian prince to give you the opportunity to buy a ship instead.

Lol...good one.
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actually, any gold/ship sellers are pretty much safe to buy from, they won't scam you because keeping a few whales happy is worth more than scamming someone out of 50 bucks once.

HOWEVER:

If you take a minute and a calculator, you will notice that you actually pay little MORE money for the goods.

If you buy zen on sales exclusivlyx and make use of your alt chars to farm dil, you are able to buy loads of master keys, if you stock up on dil/zen and play the exchange, you will be able to stock up on keys when there is a key sale. With the ec gained you can usually buy any ship you want from the xchange.

so... play the game. spend money smart.
    And potentially for less real money than you would have spent ion the external site.
  • conradhauserconradhauser Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    reynoldsxd wrote: »
    Actually, any gold/ship sellers are pretty much safe to buy from, they won't scam you because keeping a few whales happy is worth more than scamming someone out of 50 bucks once.

NO they are NOT safe to buy from.
    They sell your info to others. Your email will be inundated with spam!
    Not to mention your info will be out there and anyone can see it.
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I do not have any form of this harassment.
    Save for my inbox, I had a mail or 10, lately, which I reported as spam.

Then again, I close every and all chat save for tells, friends and fleet. XD
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    NO they are NOT safe to buy from.
    They sell your info to others. Your email will be inundated with spam!
    Not to mention your info will be out there and anyone can see it.

what info.... use a dump email address... never enter truthful info...

+ most importantly: your government already sold your valuable information to anyone interested....
  • oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actually someone said it right.

Play the game... If you got real money to spend on some RMT's site then spend it on STO instead and buy zen.

Get your self a nice shiney new Tier 6 toy, pick up some fleet modules, and as soon as you crack full ships mastery with the store toy, buy the fleet version.. they're tougher, and generally hit harder just a weee bit.

The external sites are NOT really going to save you money... and there are far MORE risks then just your STO account.

RMT's are rarely people with business licenses, who pay taxes, or in any way act as legitimate business folk. Most of em are operating in violation of criminal and tax law.. These are not folks operating in a legal and above board manner. They are thieves.

I don't want you the original poster doing biz with them.. I don't want them encouraged. STO is the most RMT free MMO I've played and I really like that. And I'd like it to continue.
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Whoops! Got a little bit drafty!

ACTUALLY CLOSING THE THREAD TOTALLY NOT AN ACCIDENT LOOK AWAY NOW EXCELLENT.
This discussion has been closed.