What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Heralds of the Iconians

Comments

• pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    quistra wrote: »
    That is insanely well thought out.

I salute you again, LaughingTrendy. It was a maneuver worthy of a Romulan.

I keep trying to explain this to people, I'm not a Romulan I'm an Ic-..

Yes. Thank you.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Space Trolls Space Rogues and Space Wizards? Really?

Is this a Neverwinter Crossover :confused:

Also, can't say I buy the explanation for the Heralds being so Melee focused.

Why smack someone with a black hole on a stick when you can shoot them with a blackhole slingshotted relativistic slug?

Why use portals to jump out behind someone and stab them when you can shoot them through walls like the TR-116 Starfleet has already can?

The way the Heralds are using their technology to fight...it's like using the barrel of a tank's main gun to joust, instead of you know...shooting with it.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Space Trolls Space Rogues and Space Wizards? Really?

Is this a Neverwinter Crossover :confused:

Also, can't say I buy the explanation for the Heralds being so Melee focused.

Why smack someone with a black hole on a stick when you can shoot them with a blackhole slingshotted relativistic slug?

Why use portals to jump out behind someone and stab them when you can shoot them through walls like the TR-116 Starfleet has already can?

The way the Heralds are using their technology to fight...it's like using the barrel of a tank's main gun to joust.

They're more like shock troops. That's the entire idea of a vanguard operating force who's assault troops specifically move (gateways) into areas to get close where you're vulnerable (close-range) and hit you where it hurts. That's not just a thematic setting, that's a military tactic.

That's why also why their ships having a lot of ramming capabilities and up-close attacks. :)
    edited April 2015
    They're more like shock troops. That's the entire idea of a vanguard operating force who's assault troops specifically move (gateways) into areas to get close where you're vulnerable (close-range) and hit you where it hurts. That's not just a thematic setting, that's a military tactic.

That's why also why their ships having a lot of ramming capabilities and up-close attacks. :)
    Shock troops also tend to die. A lot. That's why a lot of 'shock troops' tend to be cannon fodder expendable soldiers. Even 'Elite' shock troops tend to die in droves. Just look at Grenadiers from the Napoleonic wars for example.

There's no real great reason to use melee 'shock troops' in such a manner when the enemy is equally 'vulnurable' from any distance with the iconian's portal technology.

When your bullets and bombs can already strike your enemy from the rear, there's no reason to step through and put yourself in danger just so you can hit them with a stick, IMO.

Perhaps this is the Iconians solution to Herald overpopulation?
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Shock troops also tend to die. A lot. That's why a lot of 'shock troops' tend to be cannon fodder expendable soldiers. Even 'Elite' shock troops tend to die in droves. Just look at Grenadiers from the Napoleonic wars for example.

There's no real great reason to use melee 'shock troops' in such a manner when the enemy is equally 'vulnurable' from any distance with the iconian's portal technology.

When your bullets and bombs can already strike your enemy from the rear, there's no reason to step through and put yourself in danger just so you can hit them with a stick, IMO.

But they don't need to worry about all their people dying; there are literally billions of them.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
    edited April 2015
    But they don't need to worry about all their people dying; there are literally billions of them.
    Evidently they aren't interested in fighting at an advantage either. I guess the novelty of sending waves of space ogres with magic maces at the enemy supersedes the desire to actually win by using their technology in a way which would actually play to the strengths of their technology.

Besides, they had the Vaaudwaur, Elachii, and Tal Shair to fill the 'cannon fodder' niche.
  • vengefuldjinnvengefuldjinn Member Posts: 1,520 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    spock1190 wrote: »
    We have B:FAW.
    'Nuff said.

Poor TRIBBLE don't stand a chance - :rolleyes:

Accepting unconditional surrender now ;)
    tumblr_o2aau3b7nh1rkvl19o1_400.gif

• casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    These Reapers disguising themselves in neon dancefloor costumes aren't gonna fool me. Someone get Shepard on the 'phone, we need a red/blue/green explosion, stat!

:)
  • giannicampanellagiannicampanella Member Posts: 424 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Awesome. I've been wanting to fight the Covenant in STO ever since we got our Dyson Halos.
    Greenbird
  • vhiranikosvhiranikos Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    their design is reminiscent of the protheans from mass effect
  • trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Perhaps this is the Iconians solution to Herald overpopulation?
    But it does fit in with the Iconian arrogance that Sela spoke of - they think the galaxy's there's for the taking again, and that we're gonna let them waltz in just because they warned us not to interfere again

Well, obviously they don't know the races of the Milky Way Galaxy all that much - and even if they did use smarter tactics, we'd beat those too, ultimately (it's how these all play out)
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • slayerninja13slayerninja13 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This ships remind me of Tenchi muyo Jurai ships lol
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    birzark wrote: »
    so my question is after we defeat them who will fill in the big bad guy void after?

- Another servitor race trying to reverse their masters's defeat by launching a temporal warfare.

- The Krenim trying to reverse the destruction of the imperium by the Vaadwaur by altering the timeline in ways that endanger the federation / empire / republic.

(there are numerous clues leading to the conclusion that time travel with play an important role in STO in 2016, imho).

- With Heralds playing with pulsars and solar flares, one of the ultra-powerfull races of the galaxy might send ships to investigate : you were amazed by the probes sent by the whale probe constructors or the machine race (if that race was NOT the Borg) that transformed Voyager 6 in V'Ger ? Try their battleships !

- After the Iconians stabilized the radiation levels of the Andromeda Galaxy for the survival of the Heralds, and after they have been vanquished by the Alliance, the Kelvans might want to take back what was theirs, and extend their empire in the Milky Way by the conquest of the alliance, that has been weakened by an intense war against the Heralds.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's fascinating. Every time Cryptic does something not really bad with a glimmer of hope the game will get a hold of itself (lore-wise) another nonsensical thing like that follows :D

"Brutes" with warhammers. Just... that. Why is it that the most badass monster-types in sci-fi are made up of mindless bugs or drones engaging in hand-to-hand combat? :D
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited April 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »

"Brutes" with warhammers. Just... that. Why is it that the most badass monster-types in sci-fi are made up of mindless bugs or drones engaging in hand-to-hand combat? :D

This, so much this. Drones could be fine, if only they were akin to the ones seen in Iain M Banks Culture series (for example), with very high artificial intelligence (and advanced tactics) and creepy energy of forcefield-based weapons. Ranged weapons of course.
  • thargirthargir Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Look at the Heralds using melee this way:

Every pesky character/NPC has shields that can take several shots of energy. Melee weapons ingnore up to 80% of said shields.
    So from that perspective it makes a lot of sense to use those tactics. Plus it'll be unexpected as most posts here prove that no one sees it making sense/being feasable. ;)

And honestly? With my Klingon I enjoy going into melee with his Flachion. Killed those bluegills and plenty of others quite easily, sometimes even better than ranged weapons because of the shield-penetration.
    edited April 2015
    thargir wrote: »
    Look at the Heralds using melee this way:

Every pesky character/NPC has shields that can take several shots of energy. Melee weapons ingnore up to 80% of said shields.
    So from that perspective it makes a lot of sense to use those tactics. Plus it'll be unexpected as most posts here prove that no one sees it making sense/being feasable. ;)

And honestly? With my Klingon I enjoy going into melee with his Flachion. Killed those bluegills and plenty of others quite easily, sometimes even better than ranged weapons because of the shield-penetration.

I must admit that leveling my Delta recruits, I got used to attack with a ranged weapon first, then lunge or leap towards them and switching to a Tegolar sword/bat'leth. It has the benefit of making them unable to fire back (as they either get knocked back, knocked down, ...).

Overall, I'm glad it's not the Iconians we fight but still just their servitors. But magic staffs and melee combat by maces... no, that just won't compute, despite what Trendy says. The explanation can be, as noted a few pages back: These melee combat tactics are an Iconian plot to reduce Herald population.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited April 2015
    toiva wrote: »
    The explanation can be, as noted a few pages back: These melee combat tactics are an Iconian plot to reduce Herald population.

Or a way to say "Look, your technology and your warrior skills are so pathetic that we don't even need our ranged weapons to crush you...".
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Am I being an idiot? I thought the Elachi and the Solanae were the same. :(
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This ships remind me of Tenchi muyo Jurai ships lol
    Now there's a welcome blast from the past. Thank you, by the way, for reminding me that said setting could be a nice backdrop for a game in the vein of KOTOR or Deus Ex...
    thargir wrote: »
    Given that quite a few players in all likelihood keep a good melee weapon handy for, shall we say, close encounters, I'm surprised that folks dismiss the idea of the OPFOR following suit as nonsense. I know that Klingon, Jem'Hadar, and Undine NPCs do use melee attacks... and that the elite tac drones that occasionally crop up in the DIZ do have analogue to the sonic pulse ability as a counter of sorts)
    As practical as it is, it's also fun.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I keep trying to explain this to people, I'm not a Romulan I'm an Ic-..

Yes. Thank you.

Only problem is, as usual, that Gravity is one of the weakest forces.

All the mass of the Earth can't create enough gravity to overcome the elecotromagnetic forces between my feet and the floor.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So if Heralds are melee, they probably come with armor protecting against physical/kinetic damage, and less against energy. Perhaps nanopulse weaponry will be back in style.
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Am I being an idiot? I thought the Elachi and the Solanae were the same. :(

A lot of people did when LoR launched, myself included. But we see the Solanae in "Sphere of Influence" and they're pretty clearly a separate race.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Perhaps they simply can't anymore.

Cloning , cross breeding , genetic manipulation , cybernetic enhancement / replacement , robotic bodies or just ... neutral evolution ?

... seriously , 200.000 years and zero solutions ....
  • aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    questerius wrote: »
    Maybe they're too old to get it up. Would actually explain why they're grouchy.

So let's draw some parallels ... :

Taris , "lived in the past" and thought the Iconians could "turn back time" to return Romulus to it's hayday .

The (supposedly few) Iconians , "living in the past like a Boss , for over 200.000 years" , want to turn back time , and return Iconia back to it's hayday ... -- this despite the fact that they (according to Cryptic) would have the same low population number as they have had for the last 200.000 years .

... to top that , we were presented with multiple view points (in game) suggesting that Taris was insane ! Can you guess where I'm leading with this ... ? :o
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    These guys look like something the Justice League would have fought, honestly who here among us gets the "Young Justice" vibe from the dev blog?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    aelfwin1 wrote: »
    Cloning , cross breeding , genetic manipulation , cybernetic enhancement / replacement , robotic bodies or just ... neutral evolution ?

... seriously , 200.000 years and zero solutions ....

Maybe they just don't want to? Maybe breeding the Heralds is enough for them.

The Iconians consider themselves gods. The last thing a god would (presumably) want is a bunch of other gods going around and wreaking havok. Just look at Greek mythology.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To lesser creatures or those lacking the technology, phasers might seem like magic fire wands.
    talgeeze wrote: »
    As Sir Arthur Charles Clarke would say : "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
    Indeed, this is a concept that was explored more in Babylon 5 than Star Trek though, so not everyone will be as familiar with it.

Well we are talking about a franchise where this was an episode

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Magicks_of_Megas-Tu_(episode)
  • jake477jake477 Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Honestly guys, this doesn't even LOOK like Star Trek....try Mass Effect:

Lets see here:

Soldiers:

Constructs: Cannon fodder created by other higher tiered enemies like Husks

Thralls: Experts in combat and portals and most likely leaders of a squad aka Marauders

Brutes: Are well the Reaper Bane meets Viidian look a likes by the same name

Harbingers: (how original), Banshees or "assimilated" Asari

Ships:

Honestly it looks like a Tholian barfed on a Reaper......

Look I love both franchises and everything so far into this game but this is getting really well, lazy.

Less superstitious nonsense and more...SCIENCE.

The Borg achieved Godlike powers through pure tech and that is a PURE STAR TREK enemy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "This planet smells, it must be the Klingons"
  • ir0ncladbravoir0ncladbravo Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yet more Antiproton weapons wheres the love for the other weapon types. That weapon type can already have 2 Omni beam arrays. Wheres the 2nd special (winnable like the Ancient Antiproton beam array) Phaser/Plasma/Disruptor/Tetryon/Polaron Omni beam array???????:mad:
    Everytime I see complaints about the same thing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]