test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

TIA, DTI, both?

captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
So with the new Temporal Agent on ESD working for the Temporal Intelligence Agency, what happened to the authority of the Department of Temporal Investigations?

Were they replaced by this Starfleet organization because of the 'emergency' nature of the Iconian invasion?

Or are they still around and working with the TIA? If so, to what capacity?

(And I suppose that the Klingons and Romulan temporal organizations are brand new to them - they don't seem like they would have scientifically cared enough before to have DTI equivelents)
Post edited by captainhunter1 on

Comments

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,390 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't think the Klingon temporal service is quite that new - but as Q'on mentions when you first meet, they've been kind of tied up cleaning up B'vat's mess (and I love the way he says "B'vat", by the way - as if calling him "honorless petaQ" would be a step up). The Romulan Republic's version, on the other hand, obviously is brand new, and seems mostly to be motivated by a bad case of "me too!!"
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    The Romulan Republic's version, on the other hand, obviously is brand new, and seems mostly to be motivated by a bad case of "me too!!"

It's new only in the sense that the Republic is also a newer organization compared to Starfleet and the KDF. I would not be at all surprised if the Star Empire had a temporal agency of some sort; in fact, just like how Republic Intelligence contains some former (less crazy) Tal'Shiar members, it's quite possible that the Republic temporal agency also has veteran temporal agents from the Star Empire.

And, I'm not sure if you've actually talked to the Romulan temporal agent, but apparently, prior to the Delta Recruit nonsense, one of their prime concerns was making sure no one would attempt to go back and prevent the destruction of Romulus. Not surprsingly, it would seem Taris might not have been the only one who had that idea.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    From my understanding, the DTI is more preventative and reactionary in nature while the TIA is more proactive in nature. The DTI is all about protecting the Temporal Prime Directive so that means reintegrating people from the past into the present, stopping some temporal anomaly, and preventing certain individuals from going back in time to mess with the past. The DTI would never send your Delta Recruit's future self into the past.

The TIA, on the other hand, does what is necessary to protect the future similar to Section 31. However, we don't have enough evidence to see if the TIA will go to the unethical lengths that Section 31 does to protect the Federation.
  • Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    My guess would be a lack of knowledge of Trek-lore and/or a failure to do some research on part of whoever was in charge of creating that mission/conversational text.
    From my understanding, the DTI is more preventative and reactionary in nature while the TIA is more proactive in nature. The DTI is all about protecting the Temporal Prime Directive so that means reintegrating people from the past into the present, stopping some temporal anomaly, and preventing certain individuals from going back in time to mess with the past. The DTI would never send your Delta Recruit's future self into the past.

We have another organization like that in canon, the Temporal Integrity Commission from Voyager. They could have used that if they wanted to make such a distinction.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We have another organization like that in canon, the Temporal Integrity Commission from Voyager. They could have used that if they wanted to make such a distinction.

But the Temporal Integrity Commission from Voyager is a 29th Century organization. So the DTI has to use 25th Century technology to deal with temporal problems while the TIC has access to 29th Century technology to deal with them. So the DTI is likely the precursor organization to the TIC.