test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Does the Iconian Resistance Armor not look like Mass Effect armor?

Comments

• sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    As a long-time, nigh-unto-rabid Mass Effect fan, I can say 'no.' As noted elsewhere, they do bear something of a resemblance to the catsuits worn by Miranda and EDI, but it looks almost nothing like any of the 'proper' armor from the ME series.
  • kranfordtbutcherkranfordtbutcher Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2015
  • umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, Mass Effect 3 EDI is probably closest.

As for the rest... the hardsuits Earth Marines like Shepard wear are quite thicker, more in MACO/Omega Force armor territory.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We're going to be foiling the Iconians plans... and ourselves in skin tight foil aerobics outfits!

Just wait until we put on Saran Wrap bodysuits and chainsaw hands to take on the Tkon!
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hell, even Ash's 'pink power ranger' phoenix armour from Mass Effect 1 looked better than this stuff.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nope, not anywhere near as much as the kit suits. :P
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • frontierplanetsfrontierplanets Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    To be fair, the whole Iconian invasion affair strikes me as somewhat like the Reaper invasion in Mass Effect. Even that Herald Sphere STF they're testing reminds me (plot-wise) of the Suicide Mission in the second game.
    We just need an overarching leader that possesses soldiers on the battlefield and we're all set. :D
    For best results, read my posts in the voice of Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness.

*busts down your door while wearing a Starfleet uniform*
    Time to boldy go, losers.
    #this is how you SHOULD collect your crew from shore leave
  • thedarkphenoixthedarkphenoix Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yeah, these armours aren't very pretty. I apologize to the artist who made them, but that is honestly how I feel.

Tbh, to me it looks like the armours are missing the base texture. You have the reflection/glow map there, but the actual base texture that it's supposed to go onto is missing. Given a decent texture underneath the reflection/glow map and the armour would be nicer... But right now, it's too reminiscent of something from Champions Online, Mass Effect and/or Japanese MMOs (depending on your preference).
    Original wave Lifetimer and Closed Beta tester.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Ummmm...no.

Mass Effect's armor looks functional AND awesome.

These do not.

I can think of dozens of ways to describe these (which would probably draw moderation) but armor is not something I would ascribe to these outfits.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • apsciliaraapsciliara Member Posts: 247 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No. The Iconian Resistance armour does NOT look like Mass Effect armour. If anything, it looks like something out of Tron!

Source: Somebody who absolutely loves Mass Effect and has seen Tron.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    No, Mass Effect armor looks good.

That stuff is horrendous.
    Insert witty signature line here.
    edited April 2015
    Ummmm...no.

Mass Effect's armor looks functional AND awesome.

These do not.

I can think of dozens of ways to describe these (which would probably draw moderation) but armor is not something I would ascribe to these outfits.

http://www.gamearthub.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/kolbyjukes-mass-effect-3-edi.jpg

Yeah, it does actually resemble EDI's outfit, only much worse, hence where the "Mass Effect" references are coming from.

Honestly though EDI's outfit looks much, much better than the Iconian resistance armour. At least EDI's outfit has some texture to it.
  • prierinprierin Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    TBH, I am rather disappointed in the look fo the IR Armour... after seeing what Iconians look like (their bioarmour, at least) I was hoping for more of that look.... the almost insect-like, sharp edged, six eyed look... not.... Tron.

Guess it will go well with my Aegis set....

=/
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    You will forever be missed and never forgotten.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    http://www.gamearthub.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/kolbyjukes-mass-effect-3-edi.jpg

Yeah, it does actually resemble EDI's outfit, only much worse, hence where the "Mass Effect" references are coming from.

Honestly though EDI's outfit looks much, much better than the Iconian resistance armour. At least EDI's outfit has some texture to it.

That isn't an outfit EDI is wearing. It is her chassis/body. Bit of a difference.

Compared to Shep's armor, these new "offerings" look nothing like it.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
    edited April 2015
    That isn't an outfit EDI is wearing. It is her chassis/body. Bit of a difference.

Compared to Shep's armor, these new "offerings" look nothing like it.

Completely agreed, but I'm just showing where the reference is coming from :P and pointing out how much better the texture work is. *wont let that go*
  • branmakmorrnbranmakmorrn Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The most laughable part about the armor is that trash like this gets CBS-approved . . .

But still no Nausicaan or Gorn females.

W.
    T.
    F.
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actually less so then a some of the other rep armour... and for SciFi armor mass effect got it right.

I'm fairly sure delta is closest to ME. With counter command and solanae EV in a very close 2nd.. Though depending on which armor you prefer in ME arguments could be made for the latter two.

P.S. real space marines wear pink

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    umaeko wrote: »
    Yeah, Mass Effect 3 EDI is probably closest.

As for the rest... the hardsuits Earth Marines like Shepard wear are quite thicker, more in MACO/Omega Force armor territory.

this armour was meant to be taken apart piece by piece, armour on me doesnt really mean much on mass effect anyway neither does the shields employed, especially vs the widow AM rifle. collector beams and a few direct hits from grenades or guided rockets will do the same. in reality its no better then wearing a shiny latex suit.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015

No, not at all. If I told you what I thought it looked like honestly, I'd get a banned bullet put in my noodle.:eek:
  • mainamaina Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    How many threads do we need about these outfits?

I'm sure all you people can only think about ME and Tron (doesn't seem to look like either really), when it's really only club 57 wear (look it up kids).

Honestly, I've seen better looking sci-fi uniforms in Japanese TRIBBLE.......
    gHF1ABR.jpg
  • lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So true.

I loved the Mass Effect armor. So did STO, as their armor at launch (and eventually released to us in costume pieces) and glowies were all very inspired by it. Maybe they started from Into Darkness for some of the inspiration and just made a wrong turn at some point.

Sorry but this does not scream 'futuristic military' to me. I'll even settle for 'badass.'
  • imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nah, the Delta Alliance Combat Armour, or even the 8472 Counter Command Armour looked very much more like something from Mass Effect...

The Iconian Armour just screams Tron to me, with the exception of the visor bearing some resemblance to EDI's visor, that's about it...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • gambit9526gambit9526 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Why do people never mention final fantasy the spirits within, which ME ripped off...i mean homaged...and in the case of these, never mention something like ghost in the shell?

I actually like them about as much as any armour in this game, which are always a leaning to the game side as opposed to the star trek side....but then, at least they adhere to the theiss titillation theory and are on a par with say a pareses squares outfit.
  • r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I see a bit of what others have mentioned, but I have to admit that the first thing that popped into my head when seeing them was the red outfit from George Michael's Freeek! (NSFW). Though even that looks more armor-ish then this stuff.
  • nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    my reaction when i saw "that" was "wtf, is that a sweatsuit, are we gonna workout hard to defeat Iconians."
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Actually, it doesn't.

In my opinion, the M.A.C.O. and Delta body armor look closer to those used in Mass Effect.