test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Featured Episode - Uneasy Allies

12345679»

Comments

• iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I just noticed something, and it has nothing to do with the mission itself.

On one of the loading screens in-game, someone misspelled 'starring' and now it's all I see.

"New Featured Episode staring Denise Crosby as Sela!"

I'd put a screenshot of it up but all you need to do is zone a few times and get that loading screen.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • matth431matth431 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I just noticed something, and it has nothing to do with the mission itself.

On one of the loading screens in-game, someone misspelled 'starring' and now it's all I see.

"New Featured Episode staring Denise Crosby as Sela!"

I'd put a screenshot of it up but all you need to do is zone a few times and get that loading screen.

Actually, "staring Denise Crosby" describes the image in the loading screen fairly well... :D
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So this is a level 10 then the Iconian you have to take on shouldn't that be level 10 also? Otherwise I've ran this so many times on each toon FED, ROM and KDF. Why are we told not to take on the Iconian and run now? I stay and fight it out to the end. I see Iconian comes back to fight so more! I hope that prize box which will be soon available has some fun gear to use.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What concerns me is that if the Iconians ARE going to be the McGuffin of STO much like the way the Lich King was the story-driving Boss in World of W*ar*craf*t, then what's to happen once the Iconians are beatable? We all know how W*o*W went downhill after Arthas was beatable in WoTLK.

IMO, they should be like the Master or the Daleks in Dr Who; often thwarted but never beaten.

A lot of people think that the Iconians are the ultimate villain or (unstoppable) power in STO. They have been the main behind-the-scenes archnemesis in STO story until now, but in the ST universe, there are other alien races at least as powerfull / technologically advanced / ruthless as the Iconians (T'Kon, Kelvans, etc). And we must remember that the Iconians have been owned 200 000 years ago by an alliance of slave races / victims of their imperialism. Their homeworld has been almost obliterated, and only a handfull of survivors have managed to escape this armageddon. If they have been vanquished by less-advanced races once, they can be today.

We must also take into account that in the Star Trek films, there are two ultra-powerfull species demonstrating levels of power maybe (far) superior to the technology of the Iconians : the constructors of the Whale Probe (wich owns the main planet and military base of the federation with a simple communication device, not even a weapon), and of course the machine race that transformed Voyager 6 into V'Ger (if that machine race was NOT the Borg, as it is stated in some ST material).

So, if you think about it, we've got the Heralds to crush, then the Iconians, then one of the many servitor races of the Iconians will launch a temporal war to reverse the defeat of their masters (who are unable to travel in time themselves), then, disturbed by all this mess, one of the two uber-powers (whale probe constructors or machine race) will launch a 40-miles long probe to investigate all this disturbances, and THAT will be the ultimate enemy we can fight but not vanquish.

Conclusion : we can fight and vanquish the Iconians, this will not be the end of STO's story.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    So, the armor and shields for the reward set being freely upgradable to Mk XII brings up an interesting question: Is this going to be true for the kits as well? If so, how much of this mechanic is already in place for all kits ingame? For that matter, I've never tried, but can one apply a universal upgrade to a kit currently? If so, what happens?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just a quick note of a bug in the mission:

After you defeat the Romulan ships to rescue VanZyl in the first section, her spoken dialogue does NOT match the text of her responses in many cases (I was playing a KDF-allied Rom when I spotted this, if that matters). In each case, the text is correct for her response to your question, but her spoken dialogue is the correct response to a question you did NOT ask.

This bug did NOT exist in the first week's run, but is new for the second week. So it seems her dialogue got hosed when the new reward was added.

Has anyone else noticed this - especially on a toon of a different faction?
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    A lot of people think that the Iconians are the ultimate villain or (unstoppable) power in STO. They have been the main behind-the-scenes archnemesis in STO story until now, but in the ST universe, there are other alien races at least as powerfull / technologically advanced / ruthless as the Iconians (T'Kon, Kelvans, etc). And we must remember that the Iconians have been owned 200 000 years ago by an alliance of slave races / victims of their imperialism. Their homeworld has been almost obliterated, and only a handfull of survivors have managed to escape this armageddon. If they have been vanquished by less-advanced races once, they can be today.

We must also take into account that in the Star Trek films, there are two ultra-powerfull species demonstrating levels of power maybe (far) superior to the technology of the Iconians : the constructors of the Whale Probe (wich owns the main planet and military base of the federation with a simple communication device, not even a weapon), and of course the machine race that transformed Voyager 6 into V'Ger (if that machine race was NOT the Borg, as it is stated in some ST material).

So, if you think about it, we've got the Heralds to crush, then the Iconians, then one of the many servitor races of the Iconians will launch a temporal war to reverse the defeat of their masters (who are unable to travel in time themselves), then, disturbed by all this mess, one of the two uber-powers (whale probe constructors or machine race) will launch a 40-miles long probe to investigate all this disturbances, and THAT will be the ultimate enemy we can fight but not vanquish.

Conclusion : we can fight and vanquish the Iconians, this will not be the end of STO's story.
    God points. Also there are beings like the guy from TNG who made an illusion of his wife to live with after wing out a species who killed her in a raid on their colony, the organians etc. Who can alter reality on largermnthan planetary me cakes without needing tools to do so.

And, per the designer's intent from the enterprise j, it was imntended to travel between galaxies (http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/USS_Enterprise_%28NCC-1701-J%29) , so one would assume!me the future holds other multi-galaxy species and entities, that the future federation and the iconians and the kelvans aren't the only ones or even the first.
  • elvindoreelvindore Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Tried on each level after 10, where the Uneasy Allies says it opens up to all toons, still unable to open the event to play the scenario.

Looks like another well crafted "gotcha" from ARC. Way to go team.
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Captains can earn this week's final reward reward - The Romulan Imperial Navy Kits!

You can find this week's rewards for the Uneasy Allies here.

~LaughingTrendy
  • origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    does this mean i lost the 1st week? i dont get rewards for week one completion. i was tier 2 22/40 completed.
  • iradicus1iradicus1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Kinda disapointed the kits cant be upgraded like the shield and armour, now im running around in MK XII gear with a MK XI kit on my delta.
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    does this mean i lost the 1st week? i dont get rewards for week one completion. i was tier 2 22/40 completed.

all rewards from previous weeks are still available.
  • canis36canis36 Member Posts: 737 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    iradicus1 wrote: »
    Kinda disapointed the kits cant be upgraded like the shield and armour, now im running around in MK XII gear with a MK XI kit on my delta.

Rerun it when you hit 60 and you can get the Mk XII kit.
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    Can somebody confirm for me what mission Romulans need to run before they can do this? I'm sure I saw somebody say Revelations at one point but that was a week or more ago and I can't find the post any more. Just want to know so I can start skipping missions to go get the ground set before continuing with the campaign. Don't actually want to level my Romulan Delta Recruit all the way right now.
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Bigger Picture.
    w8xekp.jpg
    edited April 2015
    quintaris wrote: »
    Bigger Picture.

Thanks man.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • kaarruukaarruu Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Just got around to playing this, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

There's still a trace of the old "do a thing, then do it again three to ten more times" pitfall here, but only a trace. The actiony bits aren't annoying or overwrought, fights are both fitting and within limits of reasonable slaughter quota. Bonus points for skippable cutscenes - makes replays vastly more pleasant. The whole "Admiral doesn't get hands dirty" dealie made me smile. Devs seem to have taken feedback to heart.

Fun and interesting mission, very solid rewards for my plasma users. Well done, Cryptic.
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    vorwoda wrote: »
    Just a quick note of a bug in the mission:

After you defeat the Romulan ships to rescue VanZyl in the first section, her spoken dialogue does NOT match the text of her responses in many cases (I was playing a KDF-allied Rom when I spotted this, if that matters). In each case, the text is correct for her response to your question, but her spoken dialogue is the correct response to a question you did NOT ask.

This bug did NOT exist in the first week's run, but is new for the second week. So it seems her dialogue got hosed when the new reward was added.

Has anyone else noticed this - especially on a toon of a different faction?

The voiceover is definitely off since week 2 started. She starts it by saying she thinks it's a Q Ship, and it stays sort of off by one click the whole way after that, this is on every faction.

I do have to say that it's very nice to have a Feature Episode where I get to use my whole away team for the entire ground portion of the mission. Pretty sure that this is the first time we've been able to do that since Frozen, with them only being with us on the satellite (for no good reason) in Coliseum, then during the holodeck ground simulation in Of Bajor, and finally in the trenches of Kobali Prime in Dust to Dust.

I also wonder how infuriated Sela would become if I told her how much like her hated mother she really is. Both have a tendency to make snide remarks at every turn.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    edited April 2015
    Storyline missions never disappear.

However, they might be re-vamped in a few years and have 15-episode storyline condensed into a 4-episode storyline meaning a ton of XP is removed from the game...

if STOwiki is to be believed, it was 47750 xp for the 14 before, and 34400 now, so a little under 3/4 of what it used to give, but in probably half the time. It does cause a noticeable gap in level progression for Starfleet characters, if you are only using storyline episodes to get your levels and nothing else. That could have been solved (and then some) with one more mission in the revamped arc, paying the same as the other four. That would also have reduced the net loss by quite a lot, leaving it only 5250 skill points lower than what the old slog of missions that felt like they were designed when EverQuest was new gave.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
    edited April 2015
    Before the revamp you could just do story missions to get to 50, after the revamp, you have to do the story missions, and a few patrol missions, to get to 50.

They didn't need to lessen the loss of EXP from the remaster when there's so much EXP from the stuff already in the game that it was covered already twice over.

In all honesty, I'm with you on that. The comment about "huge amounts of xp" being lost in the revamp got me to look it up, because it's not really all that much.

It isn't entirely true that you could just do story missions and get to 50 before, though. There were gaps for several levels during the 10-19 range before of something like 1/4 level that you had to fill with a replay or a patrol or something else. These gaps usually occurred during the Spectres FE arc, if you hadn't been doing anything but the episodes on Normal, solo, for the entire time that that character existed. The recent change that made whole blocks of episodes open up when the first of them used to (like the whole Spectres series at level 11, rather than just the first episode of it) covered the small gaps there nicely, but, helped by the reduction in overall xp for the Romulan arc that the revamp created, opened up 3 of them, of varying sizes between those sections/subsections. It doesn't bother me in particular because, as you said, there are a whole lot of other sources of xp for a Starfleet character. If you do choose to limit yourself to getting xp from "only the story," you will run into gaps at 10, 20 and 29 on a Starfleet character that total to maybe a 7000 xp deficit.

After the last of those, however, the Starfleet character will currently get farther into the 50s on just the old, pre-Dyson Sphere/Delta Rising, episode than a KDF character will. Not by a great margin, but maybe a level. KDF characters can actually get all the way through with essentially no gaps just on story missions, though, which is probably good, as they don't have the abundance of patrols that Starfleet characters do. Romulans always have been overfilled with xp sources, so do not have to worry about these things, and likely won't when the inevitable Cardassian arc revamp comes.

Sorry for getting all pedantic about it, but I recently saw comments about the "perfectly balanced Federation content" that allowed you to do nothing but story missions to get to level 50, where KDF had to find other sources to do the same, so I tested it out just before Delta Recruits, and found the opposite to be true, so the information is still pretty fresh in my mind.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Will the full reward, complete set and module and all, still be available when this mission is no longer an FE?
    edited April 2015
    I can't recall a Featured Episode where a set piece was removed from the rewards after it took its normal place in the episode ranks. They take away special ships, or the Kobali Uniform, or other special rewards like Qmendations, but usually leave space or ground set pieces. Despite what was said earlier in this thread, the Kobali space set is still available from Dust to Dust, for instance.
    edited April 2015
    Will the full reward, complete set and module and all, still be available when this mission is no longer an FE?

These two parts of the Dev blog imply they will be.

Players may re-acquire the kit and kit module at higher marks by repeating “Uneasy Allies” at a higher rank.
    All Romulan Imperial Navy and the Plasma Repeater Pistol rewards will remain as selectable on “Uneasy Allies” once it is added to the normal Episode list. Enhanced Universal Tech Upgrades will not be acquirable by running “Uneasy Allies” once this week is over. Make sure not to miss out!
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    anodynes wrote: »
    I can't recall a Featured Episode where a set piece was removed from the rewards after it took its normal place in the episode ranks. They take away special ships, or the Kobali Uniform, or other special rewards like Qmendations, but usually leave space or ground set pieces. Despite what was said earlier in this thread, the Kobali space set is still available from Dust to Dust, for instance.

True, but I don't trust them to not attach strings anymore. Used to be when they released such sets (Jem'Hadar ground, Breen space, etc), they'd release each piece in a new separate episode, then move the whole batch into a story arc, and that was that. These days there's so much limited-time stuff (Dyson, Breen, or Kobali warp cores) and use of timegating to prevent you from simply being done in a marathon farming session and instead pushing you to repeat the same mission over and over for metrics, that I've learned to assume there is always an ulterior motive and intent to direct player activities. These days there's always a catch.
  • oceansongoceansong Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    took my delta (56) into this with a couple of friends in their 30's, all of the space combat was ramped up to elite even though we had set it to normal.
    why would you do this?
    it's not a fun game to play atm with all the lag, plus the episode is buggy anyway.
    either let people play it at the difficulty they want to, or make it solo only.