test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Returning player needs info

mingtowmingtow Member Posts: 19 Arc User
I am thinking of coming back to the game, but before I do I want to know if the server is any better now than it was when I left. I stopped playing because I was sick of getting blue screened when ever I went in to an instance. Any info on this would be good.
Post edited by mingtow on

Comments

• gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's free to play why not give it a go and see, atm none of my characters can even log in "server not responding" but that hasn't exacly been the norm it's just today
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Depends on who you ask.

I play this game daily, plays smooth as silk most of the time. Yes, I get the occasional rare disconnect, or small lag spike, but overall it's among the top MMO's I have played for server stability.

There are however, players that have very different experiences and have big problems with their connection to STO.

Honestly, as pointed out above, it's a free game.. the best way to find out is to just install it and give it a try to see how it plays for you. You lose nothing but the amount of time it takes you to download it.

None of us can accurately tell you how the game will play for you.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Not sure if that has been fixed since each computer is different and a bug that someone encounters on a regular basis never happens to someone else due to having different hardware configurations or some other reason.

As far as coming back to the game, it is the perfect time with the Delta Recruitment event that started yesterday. Each Delta Recruit can finish their Delta Recruitment objectives whenever they want and each objective gives an account unlock to your other characters. So even if your game is in an almost unplayable state, then as long as you finish the Academy portion of the tutorial, then you can come back later when the game is playable for you.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Blue screens? That some serious stuff.

I've never seen worse than rubberbanding and loading screen CTDs.

If the game is really causing you blue screens, I wouldn't reinstall it ever.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • mingtowmingtow Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I do not know if the game is safe for me to re install yet, but I well try. As for the blue screening, I have no answer for that, I can play POE with no problems at 45 FPS, but I can not get past 15 in STO.
  • cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Blue screen? That's usually an indicator that your computer is full of viruses, or your hard drive is prepared to go kaput.
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Blue screens? That some serious stuff.

True that. Games DO NOT cause blue screens, blue screens are either driver issues or hardware issues, usually graphics card, memory or processor.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Somehow really sweet... "Can I come out again? Does... will the game still hurt me? Is it safe?"

:o

I live in small village in small country in Europe. Me have no lag or rubberbanding for month except when new event starts or ends. And me have slow internet. Oh weh...

Other people have lag? Yes, but not everyone.
  • mingtowmingtow Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    belidos wrote: »
    Games DO NOT cause blue screens, blue screens are either driver issues or hardware issues, usually graphics card, memory or processor.
    That my be true, but I only had this problem with STO. I also play GW2 and POE, I do not get this problem with the other games I play.
  • belidosbelidos Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    mingtow wrote: »
    That my be true, but I only had this problem with STO. I also play GW2 and POE, I do not get this problem with the other games I play.

You may be having an over heating issue and STO is straining your system, download a temperature monitoring program and keep an eye on it, see if there are any issues.
  • gonzothegreat78gonzothegreat78 Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    theres a brief moment when first starting the game, right before "star trek" emblem where theres a really quick blue flash for me, are you sure your not having driver issues or something thats prolonging that?

last bsod i had was 1 stick of dead/dying memory
  • phadrenphadren Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Sounds like you need to update your drivers ie. vid card, operating system, direct x, and any other hardware you have.
  • tgo533tgo533 Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Most blue screens are caused by overheating. It can be a driver issue or such but those are rare.

Clean your computer once a week with an air can or vacuum and they should stop. This is especially true for smoking households. As i get a good thick dust in only a week. This causes all sorts of issues and can cause damage. Thats what the blue screen is preventing by shutting down before something starts to break.