test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Rating system prone to abuse, suggesitons inside.

2»

Comments

• helixfungushelixfungus Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Markhawkman... your case seems falling under the facepalm category...

My nemesis callsign is Railrohk. He is a known disruptor in the ingame chat too (check stolivia com for futher info on this).
  • borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Take away anonymity... that's a no brainer.

Get rid of the weighted star system.

That's as far as I'm willing to go. Free speech, links in the chain and all that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Give people one vote only, whether they play the whole mission or not. But count the total number of plays every time a mission is played. And of course allow people to continue offering dil tips.

On the low extreme you could potentially have 1000 plays with a single player voting a 1 star but I think that would by highly unlikely out of 1000 plays to only get one vote.

On the high extreme you could have a single person play 1000 times with 1000 different alts to spam a 1 star rating, but that would mean spending money to create the extra alts. Again, highly unlikely. It would be more likely they spam you a few times but get drowned out by other honest players.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well if someone IS using alts... they need to make alt accounts for it. Reviews are stored by account name, not character, so if you play it a second time on a different char it'll act the same as if you played it twice on one char.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • spacegoatcx#8996 spacegoatcx Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This reply is lengthy, and I apologize in advance for that.

I am the player who Helixfungus seems dissatisfied with.

I will write this plainly and directly: His missions are abysmal and mostly have negative reviews, however, due to my fleet tag, I am the easiest one to "demonize".

Many of my contacts and friends, as well as their contacts and friends, have done his missions and found them to be poorly made.

I also have had an in game correspondence with Helixfungus over said missions poor design and the negativity of the reviews left.

His arguements against negative reviews amount to "Well you never made a foundry so you can't tell me mine are bad!", which it must be said is utterly childish. One does not need to know how to write a book, direct a TV show, or even write a short story to tell if one is good or not.

As to the missions themselves, the dialogue is often stilted and written in an extremely uninspiring or jaunted way. Also words are commonly misspelled even when refering to objects that clearly have their name spelled correctly above them.

The actual story design is simply ripoffs of things that have been done before and done better, such as re-enacting The Motion Picture, except with Caitians who seem more interested in mating and partying in the middle of battles than anything else dialogue wise.

Plots are subject to randomly entirely switch focus or even contradict each other within the missions.

The author, in his corespondences with me, tried to blame said flaws on English not being his native tongue (neither is it mine), however, when I took a friend with knowledge in Italian, his apparent native language, on a mission he wrote entirely in that, all plot and writing flaws were still present, and the grammar and spelling was still abysmal.

The romance options, where present, are very forced and were found to be degrading or distressing to actual female players who have played the missions to were they bordered on simply being sexist.

Skipping said romance options in the mission in question leads you to the next point: Map design. The maps are horribly flawed, with walls not even being fitted to the ground correctly leaving large gaps, ledges that one can fall off requiring beaming entirely back up and redoing large parts of the missions (due to lacking checkpoints) being common. Outside of that, they are often simply mishmashed out of random assets and so cluttered and compact that bridge officer pathfinding does not work, leaving you to fight boss level enemies entirely on your own, or making even a single death respawn you off grid rendering the mission incompletable.

Space map design is similarly plagued with either being restrictively tight to were even a temporal science ship can barely turn while in flight, and while typically being attacked as well, or are so massively open that one does not even know where to go, with objective markers being set at the smallest possible size.

Most reviews left address these issues as best they can with the limited space provided for reviewing, but go ignored.

While the author does have some original ideas that could be developed nicely in competent hands, he sadly seems too interested in refusing to see that the negative reactions to his missions would not exist if he were to take the time to address some of the issues. Not to mention that his interest in becoming hostile and defensive when confronted with criticism does not help his image in any way.

The foundry contains many excellent, even episode quality missions, or ideas that while limited in execution none the less convey their story and message well. Why said author does not make efforts to explore other missions, get new inspirations, or communicate with others on how they accomplished making their own missions, but rather chooses to write angry mails and persist in denial, is beyond me.

In conclusion, there are good and there are bad foundry missions. Sadly, this author's belong to the latter, and said opinions on my behalf are only going to change when the issues have been addressed in a manner outside of attempting to insult those who attempt to provide feedback.

Should you wish to have positive reviews on your work, be both willing to work towards a decent end production, and be willing to accept criticism.
    FvMLllF.jpg
    edited April 2015
    (..see what I meant, ppl ?)

lerpyderp... your fleet tag is... fascinating nonetheless.
    I wish to thank you for your reviews, that are encouraging for me to do more missions.
    Your competence on the matter is undoubtely superior to the majority of Foundry players that I have met so far,
    and I will treasure your advices dearly from now on.

Some external observer could seem that your behaviour is hostile, but I can see now that it is not.

If you feel like it, please...continue to rate my missions, as everyone elses for that matter.
    And please, invite your fleet mates to do the same. We authors need your kind support.
    edited April 2015
    repetitiveepic... hmmm... I understand you are from dental too - the Nabreki puppets, right ?... just like JRH all over again... give my regards to Myers. Can I expect some other comment by your fleet members ? Don't know... gazurtoid, or rgbclaw...?
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited April 2015
    this is what demolishing someone looks like

Considering who said it

I call it a 99% chance its a total lie....Because Ive saw in game how these trolls operate

And anything you say is just about as bad as a troll supporter
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
    edited April 2015
    Jellico... I'm open to every viable advice.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »

Considering who said it

I call it a 99% chance its a total lie....Because Ive saw in game how these trolls operate

And anything you say is just about as bad as a troll supporter

Haven't played the mission in question but considering Helix's issues with grammar and spelling in his posts in this thread, I'm inclined to agree with the Dentals on this one. Which if you've seen the flame wars I've gotten into with that damn collection of griefers in General Discussion, is something that never happens. So either it's Opposite Day, or helix really is that bad.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Don't feed the trolls.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • zaichalzaichal Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    Don't feed the trolls.
    There's no trolling here. Having a different opinion is not a sign of trollish behavior.

Also for example, you could be seen as a troll because you only respond to threads with a connection to furries, caitians/ferasians and/or draw attention to it often enough to be irritating.
    Can I expect some other comment by your fleet members ? Don't know... gazurtoid, or rgbclaw...?

Those players are not Dentals or associated with Starfleet Dental.

There are other non-Dentals who have left negative reviews. It is likely they're not trolling either, because the missions are an incomprehensible mess.

There was one mission I was doing called Shadows of Methuselah. On a female character. It was difficult. The environment had low lighting, a depressing lack of features, a quite ugly looking female npc which tried to make unwanted sexual suggestions to my character and a horrible mashup of various foundry floors all placed on top of each other. Then there was the rapecave, where the female npc attempted to lure my character into it's hideous lair and suggest my character share a bed with it. I quit the mission at that point.

Then there's the Caitian Gambit. My first introduction to Helixfungus. Featuring a caitian family, which probably explains Ashkrik's presence in this thread.

Extremely unprofessional, for a ship to be captained by an incompetent idiot only looking out for his own interests, dragging his own family into his mess by giving them jobs they didn't seem to have any experience in. I guess the captain turned down more suitable applicants in favour of his own kids. A captain that would hold or allow sexy dance parties on his ship during space battles. I played part one, had no idea why my boffs were so interested in the lame, stupid and out of place party. I'm still not sure why I had to apparently rescue/free the captain from his rightful place in jail in part two. Basically, the captain in this mission was an idiot who got his own kids killed. But that was apparently ok, because his wife was going to have more kittens anyway! ... such a complete lack of depth.

Another one featured a Bolian female with incomprehensible dialogue in an equally incomprehensible setting. On an alien planet not her own, where she constantly whined about hating space travel, teleporters, other convenient means of travel. How did she get there? Your guess is as good as mine. Why was she there? Your guess is as good as mine.

In that mission, we were on a planet where there was kshatrans, ktarnoggs and other ksomethings fighting each other. Then tholians arrived because apparently this was also the setting of a peace conference completely unrelated to the conflict on the planet. It was hard to tell. The tholians wanted something on the planet apparently, but when my character died to several tholian mobs, she respawned in space. Not on her ship. Just the character, floating in space, forever, like original Harry Kim in the Delta Quadrant, before the kobali desecrated his corpse.

I can't remember the mission, but in one Helixfungus foundry mess, I had to kill nanovs and I don't know why.

So I gave them 1 star reviews. I think the above explains why. I've reviewed quite a few foundry missions. I gave one foundry mission 5 stars recently, with full tip. Like Caitian Gambit, it also had a connection to Star Trek The Motion Picture. Unlike Caitain Gambit, it wasn't a rip off of TMP with caitians; it was competently written, interiors made sense, looked functional and fit in well with their setting. Outdoor environments were pretty, instead of mashed up, textures placed on top of each other so badly, they glitched.

Now I may not have any foundry missions of my own making for anyone to play, but put it like this. A restaurant critic doesn't necessarily know how to cook. A music producer doesn't have to know how to play an instrument or sing. If Helixfungus wants to dismiss bad reviews due to the reviewers not having their own foundry content, well, he will continue to make bad foundry missions. Or he could listen, take the complaints on board, fix things and improve. His choice.
    edited April 2015
    Starswordc... your post puzzles me.
    Even if I were that bad into writing you should ask yourself if you should heed the dentals when they plainly troll people around as a "way of life".
    On my part I regret only that I heed to them. No more.
    I see that you evaluate mission like Evil70th, who helped me in the past with his wonderful thread.. If you still doing it, please, review "The Caitian Gambit" for yourself. I can accept wholeheartedly costructive criticism.

As Friedrich Schiller said “If your deed and your art do not please everyone, do it as well as you can; pleasing everyone is evil.”
    My goal is not to make literary masterpieces, but to entertain myself and some people. If someone doesn't like my stories, I can live with that. But here it's a total, different matter.

I received both negative and positive feedback. To be precise, some time ago I had some complaint for grammar on my older missions... later someone even said that my written english was better than that used in the "official" missions... like above "if your deeds..."

Ashy... I know all too well that is best to starve them. But...

to zaichal:

"There are other non-Dentals who have left negative reviews. It is likely they're not trolling either, because the missions are an incomprehensible mess"

That is your opinion. As I said I get also positive reviews. So the point would be... ?

"There was one mission I was doing called Shadows of Methuselah..."

On the grant text, before you accept the mission, it is clearly written that is written for hetero males.
    Hence the bitter surprise for you....
    The quite "ugly" woman is a synthetic beauty, just like the female robot who seduced Kirk in the TOS Methuselah episode.

"Then there was the rapecave, where the female npc attempted to lure my character into it's hideous lair and suggest my character share a bed with it"

You have the choice to refuse. But this is strangely omitted by you...

"Then there's the Caitian Gambit. My first introduction to Helixfungus."

Well... there is someone that intruduced me to you, then. Not in positive manners, I suppose. A dental, yes ?
    Many found amusing reliving TMP storyline with Caitian characters. Again, the beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

"had no idea why my boffs were so interested in the lame, stupid and out of place party"

It is called homecoming party, cause they were returning home to Cait. And the party was before, not during the battle...

"Another one featured a Bolian female ... On an alien planet not her own, where she constantly whined about hating space travel, teleporters, other convenient means of travel. How did she get there? Your guess is as good as mine. Why was she there? Your guess is as good as mine."

That mission is "The City On the Edge of Hope"

The Bolian woman got there just forcing herself to do so. In the story she is depicted as being a successfully mediator, trying to organize the first peace talk with the Tholians, and choose to stay in that planet for the beautiful countryside. Her character has the perfect right to be technofobic, and eventually still using the very tech she despise. Do you remember doctor McCoy fear of transporters ? Same thing.
    edited April 2015
    LOL, my presence in this thread because of Helix's mission which just happened to involve caitians lol. I am the one who started this thread over another issue lol.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    edited April 2015
    I don't often pay attention to your posts, Ashkrik. I haven't read the first page, was directed to this thread by a friend.

Your posts are not worth reading most of the time. Except for that one where a dev responded to you, asking you to stop posting about caitian costume issues all the time. That was pretty funny.
    edited April 2015
    At least spell Caitian right...

I do prefer to be lectured by other authors, that for sure... but regarding your feedback... no thanks. You can keep it. Can I have the dil back too ?
    edited April 2015
    zaichal wrote: »
    I don't often pay attention to your posts, Ashkrik. I haven't read the first page, was directed to this thread by a friend.

Your posts are not worth reading most of the time. Except for that one where a dev responded to you, asking you to stop posting about caitian costume issues all the time. That was pretty funny.

This is hilarious.
    edited April 2015
    What dil? Your missions are so glitchy, they might've qualified for investigate officer reports, but I'd not recieve a reward at all. Certainly not for City on the Edge of Hope, as that was broken. Shadows of Meth was too disgusting for me to finish. I was on a team for that btw, there was a player with a male character with me and he also found it disgusting, giving me a lockbox key for enduring it as far as I could as we both quit at that point.

If you publish something, you're opening it up to criticism. Also, constructive criticism, as what has been shown in this thread, is not flaming or trolling. If you can't take it, fix the flaws instead of whining about it.

Instead of attempting to lecture people on their own spelling, when your grasp of a language is somewhere between beginner and intermediate; clean up your own multiple spelling errors, both in your broken English content and your native language.
    edited April 2015
    "What dil? Your missions are so glitchy, they might've qualified for investigate officer reports, but I'd not recieve a reward at all. Certainly not
    for City on the Edge of Hope, as that was broken...."

No dils? Really? That's actually a relief...
    City was finished by many others without problems.

"Shadows of Meth was too disgusting for me to finish. I was on
    a team for that btw, (...)"

Wait a moment... are you telling me that not only you were
    ordered to tear apart my mission by another person, but that
    you were part of a team (let me guess, gazurtoid, and rgbclaw
    were your teammates...) with the same goal. That explains the 1
    star clusters. On another post you tell Ash that you have been
    directed here by a friend... You can see by yourself that I
    can't consider your criticism constructive. Really, everyone
    reading this should be warned and drop the consideration
    towards you to zero. By far, giving your admitted bias, I could
    consider a mark of perfection your "genuine" opinions.

"If you can't take it, fix the flaws instead of whining about
    it. "

You are not entitled to say this because of the way you play
    our missions.

"(...)clean up your own multiple spelling errors"

And above. BTW "I'd not recieve a reward at all"
    It's receive. At least we understood that I can't learn english
    from you.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ok, I just played through "Shadows of Methuselah" so that I could get a clear understanding of the situation. I would have given the mission three stars, but some technical issues with how the ground map was built, combined with the forced nature of the ... private encounter, convinced me to drop it to two stars (I reserve one star reviews for missions which are broken and unplayable). A full list of the issues I found are as follows, and in no particular order:

In one dialogue you had my Vulcan science officer swearing, which is very out of character for her. The same officer was later refered to as my "Science guy", even though she is female.

You took it upon yourself to assign personalities to my character and bridge officers. My player character in particular seemed awkward, as he is a Fed side Klingon, and he certainly was not talking like one.

There were numerous issues with grammar and spelling, but as English is not your first language I was able to look past it. I just put myself in the mindset I have when watching old Godzilla movies, lol. It actually helped contribute to the campy TOS feel of the mission as well.

There were two points in the mission that involved Elachi being captured ... however in the Romulan arc they are shown to commit suicide if they are about to be captured.

The main ground map had numerous trigger issues. At one point, a building disapears and the main village appears, in an apparent effort to transition from inside to outside without two maps. However, several set pieces from the "interior" portion of the map are not despawned when the character "goes outside".

The player character also does some things he has no authority to do. The first is when he revokes some guy's trade license, and the second is when he accepts the people he is helping into the Federation.

Now, in regards to the "private encounter" with a certain female character, I have a few issues:

- First, such a thing really doesn't belong in the foundry. That being said, if it must be done, it would have been preferable for it to be a hidden "side quest" using triggers, rather than part of the mission objectives.

- Second, it assumes your character is interested in females, which can cause issues with some people depending on their character's gender and their own views on sexuality.

- Third, the OOC line saying that your character was about to have a few nice hours was completely uncalled for, any adult or teenager could CLEARLY see where the situation was going.

- Finally, the biggest problem is that the entire thing id forced on us. There is simply no way around it, if we want to complete the mission we have to go through with that segment, regardless of how we feel about it.

All of that being said, I have to, surprisingly, say that I agree with the representatives of Starfleet Dental. I just did not find the mission, as a whole, enjoyable. Some out there clearly disagree with me based on the ratings, and that's fine. It just wasn't for me. I wish you the best of luck with any future projects though!
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited April 2015
    EvilMark... thanks for your honest opinions. This is a review than I can accept.
    You clearly states that the mission does not encounter your tastes, and that's great.
    As I do myself, it's 2 star for "I do not like your stuff" and 1 star if the thing it's impossible to complete.

It was the first time I made BOFF players actively take part in the story, some player accept that, some not. I could revise that dialogs eventually.

I will check the ground map triggers you mention. It is a very object crammed map... I 'll have a look into it.

On the captive Elachi, maybe Flint had some trickery under his sleeve to go and capture them nonetheless. The guy is depicted to be extraordinary brilliant.

For the private encounter part, I should try to modify or eliminate it. But I guess this thing falls into the like/dislike category.

For the Captain's authority to do certain things, I believe he's the highest Federation rank officer in that area of space, I've seen normal tasks of administrative justice there. Flint planet's population were almost in their entirety Federation citizens before disappearing into subspace, so it would be a reunion than else.

Thanks for the playthough. I'll return the favor with one of your mission.

Have I been trolled ? Certainly not by you... However pls look at the other posts here.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In one dialogue you had my Vulcan science officer swearing, which is very out of character for her. The same officer was later refered to as my "Science guy", even though she is female.

I'm going to make one minor point here, there's not a whole lot we can do about that. We don't have any way to programmatically account for gender or species (as in, we are physically incapable of it), and as far as personality? We either write the player-related characters as completely flat, which is IMHO boring, or we make an educated guess, like tactical officers being angrier and more inclined to fight instead of deal than scis.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Under the circumstances, this is a thread that got necro'd. I'm going to close it down.

If you would like to open a new discussion on this topic, fine. But please be aware that we do not allow naming and shaming on the forums, so those kinds of discussions shouldn't happen.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.