eldest13eldest13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
I've read the post, but I don't get it?
What does it mean! Someone tell me!
Post edited by eldest13 on

Comments

• Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    as an April fools joke Zeronius Rex setup Redshirt using an old STO build from when the game first launched so that for a limoted time people could go back and play the original iteration of STO.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    it's kind of a joke, and.. kinda not..

It is now possible for anyone to play on the "Red Shirt" server/shard It'll be a second install of the game.. a few Gig, and it'll all have to be downloaded so do it over night. It's the original STO as it was released 5 years ago. It'll one, give you an idea how far STO has come, and you get a grasp of what some of the most ancient of complaints have been... and you also once you unlock them see what the KDF players have been up in arms about since launch... you will also get to play with Pre-Nerf Bird of Prey KDF side which were utter monsters! Original stats man...um levelling and skill are gonna be way different then what ya got now..

Thats about as Vanilla as STO can get.. Pretty sure its a build from a week or so after launch.. the launch build if I recall wasn't the most stable.. server was up and down for a few days. Especially for those of us that were in the head start..
    "I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • Options
    toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It is now possible for anyone to play on the "Red Shirt" server/shard It'll be a second install of the game.. a few Gig, and it'll all have to be downloaded so do it over night. It's the original STO as it was released 5 years ago. It'll one, give you an idea how far STO has come, and you get a grasp of what some of the most ancient of complaints have been... and you also once you unlock them see what the KDF players have been up in arms about since launch... you will also get to play with Pre-Nerf Bird of Prey KDF side which were utter monsters! Original stats man...um levelling and skill are gonna be way different then what ya got now..

Thats about as Vanilla as STO can get.. Pretty sure its a build from a week or so after launch.. the launch build if I recall wasn't the most stable.. server was up and down for a few days. Especially for those of us that were in the head start..

Now you got me interested. I've given up on reaching redshirt when it always ended up in an 'error' and didn't want to risk messing with the settings at Zero advised for the launcher. Now I may give it a try after all.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • Options
    admiraltrappittadmiraltrappitt Member Posts: 444 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wait, it was actually real? Oh... I should have gone on to Redshirt then... I thought the point of an April Fool was for it to not be real?
    Proad admin of the Star Trek Battles channel. Join today!

I actually like Delta Rising.
  • Options
    imperatorpaveliimperatorpaveli Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I tried logging into redshirt earlier, was a few gigabyte patch, but it had all of the new Delta Recruit stuff in it, not the temporary "Rebirth" shard.

:confused:
  • Options
    warunitxwarunitx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I tried logging into redshirt earlier, was a few gigabyte patch, but it had all of the new Delta Recruit stuff in it, not the temporary "Rebirth" shard.

:confused:

They reverted it :(

I wanted to level a classic toon.
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    warunitx wrote: »
    They reverted it :(

I wanted to level a classic toon.
    And right now, the PvPer's are calling it a slap in the face... what they didn't seem to realize is that it's another aspect of an April Fool's joke; it's not gonna last beyond the day, really.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    eldest13eldest13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Ok, phew, thank god! I have been jere for a while though, before LoR, and I remember the old STO, I miss those days... :,(
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Wait, it was actually real? Oh... I should have gone on to Redshirt then... I thought the point of an April Fool was for it to not be real?

Well, it wasn't real in the sense that it meant that Holodeck and the current version of STO would go.

But yeah - I wish I had realized that they actually "downdated" Redshirt to the old build. I wouldn't want to really play with the old build for long, but it would be nice to see how much has changed...
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    trek21 wrote: »
    And right now, the PvPer's are calling it a slap in the face... what they didn't seem to realize is that it's another aspect of an April Fool's joke; it's not gonna last beyond the day, really.

And you don't see, that that's even worse! PvPers have been asking for something like this for ages. All responses we got were like: "No time/ressources/money for this - sry"

But the have enough time/ressources/money to pull this one off just for a stupid joke??? They are motivated to put that effort into a joke but they aren't willing to put a rare minimum of effort into pleasing the PvP community??? How is that not a gigantic slap in the face???

See, all work that is required to fix PvP was just done for a joke proving how simple it would be for them. They just do not want or they just love to slap us in the face.
  • Options
    scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I didn't get a chnce to download it but I sure would have enjoyed running the original STFs again. Even for all it's rage inducing bugs, they were a blast with a team of friends.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    And you don't see, that that's even worse! PvPers have been asking for something like this for ages. All responses we got were like: "No time/ressources/money for this - sry"

But the have enough time/ressources/money to pull this one off just for a stupid joke???

Yes, because the joke only needed to survive one day and needed no support. If you couldn't get in, if the game crashed, if the server crashed, if your character got corrupted, if you entered a Space PvP map with your character model instead of your ship, if you lost items, if you were stuck somewhere, it didn't matter, it was just a joke build.
    scififan78 wrote: »
    I didn't get a chnce to download it but I sure would have enjoyed running the original STFs again. Even for all it's rage inducing bugs, they were a blast with a team of friends.

Star Trek Online had no STFs in the original build that was released. The STFs were released only a few weeks or months in, IIRC.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    dgdolphdgdolph Member Posts: 592 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Yes, because the joke only needed to survive one day and needed no support. If you couldn't get in, if the game crashed, if the server crashed, if your character got corrupted, if you entered a Space PvP map with your character model instead of your ship, if you lost items, if you were stuck somewhere, it didn't matter, it was just a joke build.

Star Trek Online had no STFs in the original build that was released. The STFs were released only a few weeks or months in, IIRC.

Dude you're totaly missing the point.

And btw, I had a lot more fun in those short hours on "rebirth" than I ever had on holodeck since S9.5. Sad but true, that how bad this game is today.
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Dang, I thought it was just a funny forum post with pictures. I didn't think they actually brought that version of that game online for play. I totally would have given it a try had I known. :(
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It would be nice if when Season 10 is done that the devs decide to leave Redshirt up and running as the Nostalgia Server. It is nice to compare the game to how it is to how it was.