test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Galaxy class

Comments

• jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    darlexa wrote: »
    personally, I think all of the core ships need updated skins. they are getting very dated in comparison to the newer stuff. higher rez maps at the very least. updated higher rez models that fit together a bit better when mized and match would be better.

Unfortunately - Cryptic's staff is too small to 'just go back and update everything'. Ship modeling and texturing is a lot of work. I'd say a minimum of 80 hours per ship, not counting the mix and match parts, the hardpointing, the scripting of special consoles and powers...

It just isn't cost effective to go back and update something everyone has already paid for - not unless you're updating those parts for a hero role in a mission or updating those parts so they fit better with something new you're getting ready to sell.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    That's what bothers me the most on Cryptics Galaxy Class model.
    You know, i am not a nitpicker when it comes to perfect acuracy on the ship models, but the Galaxys neck is simply too steep (just like the Guardians neck), which make the whole ship look odd imo.

Personally i don't care much about smaller things like missing lights or missing labeling which you can't see from the distance anyway. But i simply can't understand why they made something obvious like the angle of the ships neck so wrong.
    I wouldn't say anything if it where a improvement over the original, but as i said it just looks odd and NOT good at all.

The entire geometry of the neck is wrong, especially at the joins between the sides and the back where there's a thick rim on the in-game model, which wasn't corrected when it got its last update: Old in-game model; previous updated version; compared to studio model #1 & #2.

I won't even start with the secondary hull/deflector dish area issues, but if the Intrepid-class can get a nice new, fairly accurate, model then is it so much to ask that the Galaxy-class gets treated the same?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I won't even start with the secondary hull/deflector dish area issues, but if the Intrepid-class can get a nice new, fairly accurate, model then is it so much to ask that the Galaxy-class gets treated the same?
    Yes, if Cryptic has no intention of starring the ship or some variant of it (such as the Challenger with LaForge in command) in a major episode. Same likely goes for the eventual T6 Defiant.

The Devs did outright state they went the full mile with the Intrepid/Pathfinder only because it was being heavily featured (in cutscenes, in promos, and in missions), and that upgrading the skins on all older ships isn't a priority unless the conditions were ideal for it.

Still, one can hope that they do spotlight the Galaxy and Defiant and get an upgraded classic skin, but it's not likely anytime soon, what with the focus on the Iconians rather than on a DS9-related arc or a TNG-related arc that could star either.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the defiant already had gotten a fairly premium make over a wile back, and more recently all the other costume bits too. nothing really needed to be added there.

but they bothered to make the neghvar actually accurate after this long, i cent see the galaxy not getting ever so mild a touch up. even if its just the neck
  • neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the defiant already had gotten a fairly premium make over a wile back, and more recently all the other costume bits too. nothing really needed to be added there.

but they bothered to make the neghvar actually accurate after this long, i cent see the galaxy not getting ever so mild a touch up. even if its just the neck

let hope so, but are people here are aware of the 18 layof including cpt smirk lately?
    there is also a ship artist in it as it seem, so they may not have the man power to change all that as of now.

pwe is not going very well in us as it seem and may try to sell cryptic, wich would explain this delta recruit things and a new galaxy to bring more player and show some good stats to the new buyer.
  • baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Still, one can hope that they do spotlight the Galaxy and Defiant and get an upgraded classic skin, but it's not likely anytime soon, what with the focus on the Iconians rather than on a DS9-related arc or a TNG-related arc that could star either.

I find it pretty humorous that we've essentially been playing a giant TNG arc, since the Iconians are the "Biggest Bad" villain, and yet the iconic TNG Hero Ship gets the shortest end of the stick.
  • yreodredyreodred Member Posts: 3,527 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yes, if Cryptic has no intention of starring the ship or some variant of it (such as the Challenger with LaForge in command) in a major episode. Same likely goes for the eventual T6 Defiant.

The Devs did outright state they went the full mile with the Intrepid/Pathfinder only because it was being heavily featured (in cutscenes, in promos, and in missions), and that upgrading the skins on all older ships isn't a priority unless the conditions were ideal for it.

That's exactly why the Intrepid got a visual makeover, no other reason.
    And we really don't have to discuss why they reworked the defiant anyway, the devs in charge are DS9 fans and despise the Galaxy Class (just my personal point of view, you don't have to agree).

So no, i really don't see the devs giving the Galaxy Class model a makeover, unless people would have voted for TNG instead of Voyager back then.
    "...'With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured...the first thought forbidden...the first freedom denied--chains us all irrevocably.' ... The first time any man's freedom is trodden on, we're all damaged. I fear that today--" - (TNG) Picard, quoting Judge Aaron Satie

A tale of two Picards
    (also applies to Star Trek in general)
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    yreodred wrote: »
    That's exactly why the Intrepid got a visual makeover, no other reason.
    And we really don't have to discuss why they reworked the defiant anyway, the devs in charge are DS9 fans and despise the Galaxy Class (just my personal point of view, you don't have to agree).

So no, i really don't see the devs giving the Galaxy Class model a makeover, unless people would have voted for TNG instead of Voyager back then.

Well, perhaps someone at cryptic did come up with the idea that selling a decent t6 galaxy is what they need right now in light of the layoff and rumors about studio sales.

Delta recruitment is, all in all, one of the most generous events they ever did. And without taking a giant **** on older players either, like they used too do just a year back.

So we can either believe in a goodwilled dev team or the rising tide.
    I smell a bit of damage control mode, to be honest. But its DC done good, instead of accusing the players, banning them and rolling their stuff back they start handing out treats and paddle back on much of the **** the former head of state handed us.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • papesh1papesh1 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    neo1nx wrote: »
    let hope so, but are people here are aware of the 18 layof including cpt smirk lately?
    there is also a ship artist in it as it seem, so they may not have the man power to change all that as of now.

pwe is not going very well in us as it seem and may try to sell cryptic, wich would explain this delta recruit things and a new galaxy to bring more player and show some good stats to the new buyer.

I thought the layoffs were primarily on the Neverwinter team?
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,445 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Smirk got laid off? Damn.

That's why Trendy has been posting most of the stuff lately.
    asuran14 wrote: »
    Honestly if some parts of the spec trees would have some kind of influence on some of the non-specc abilities of older careers would be interesting. Like if in intel the over-ride safity was a taltent that caused your engeer emergency power to aux/engine/weapon/shields also remove the cap of the corrisponding system energy for the duration (or a chance to remove the cap). If the specc trees had multiple instances of talents that influenced the orignal career's abilities would be interesting, and make it maybe that abilities that were once seen as terrible could be proped up by these choices in the trees an so increase the veriety an viablity of builds. It would also as said make grinding these trees even more valueable to grind up. A change like making Override safety abilty into a taltent choice tat influenced the origanal careers, would allow them to make more intel/command/pilot specc-careers have more abilties that make sense to thier career.

That's an excellent idea. Officer training shouldn't end with their BOFF abilities.

I've talked about upgrading the rarity value and traits of BOFFs before, and I still believe that our BOFFs should be able to be upgraded through training. Send them back to the academy for via a five day DOFF assignment.

But using the Specializations is the current easiest most direct path.

So you add talents as ways that you can augment abilities outside of DOFFs, traits, and specs.
    I doubt that the current Galaxy skins will be getting any overhauls, but there will be new pieces with the T6 Galaxy and Negh'Var.
    I don't like to feed in to general negativity, but consider this. That would mean they prioritized a Klingon Faction ship over a Federation faction ship.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,326 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    captaind3 wrote: »
    That's an excellent idea. Officer training shouldn't end with their BOFF abilities.

I've talked about upgrading the rarity value and traits of BOFFs before, and I still believe that our BOFFs should be able to be upgraded through training. Send them back to the academy for via a five day DOFF assignment.

But using the Specializations is the current easiest most direct path.

So you add talents as ways that you can augment abilities outside of DOFFs, traits, and specs.

I agree with you that there should be more ways of training boffs in the game, as well as ways of customizing your boffs abit more too. Maybe giving each race in sto more traits they can gain/have (keeping the normal limits of how many they can have at one time, but than add a assignment or option that has your boff trade one or more traits for new ones. THis could allow the players tobe able to use more races than those that are seen as best-in slot because of their traits.

Where the galaxy is concearned there is not much more to conversate about really though. We all have our desires of what they would do wiht it. Like myself i would like to see the galaxy (any varient) to be a true command multi-role ship, which has three Lt (or two Lt an one ens) seats that can be shifted with the Ltc. seat givcing the command ship a vary flexible layout an playstyle. There are also those that want a more tactical based Galaxy that fits the current meta of the game, while others wamt a more faithful version to the series. Even though many dislike the cut-out neck of the Ody i kinda like the visual appeal of it though not as radical, and could go for a slightly less so version of that neck used on a new Galaxy, along with other factors i have said before (like the fact of having two addition lance-beam emitters on top of the saucer like the one that is under slung instead of the current antenie versions it has in the Gal-x.) Maybe even seeing a slightly more armored an bulkier design that would fit into more f a war time varientwith the Iconian threat in the Delta expansion would work.

My biggest desire is that they add both a pet Ui for the saucer while it is seperated , and make it that when the drive section isat full impulse the saucer also goes to full impulse fallowing behind, even allowing us to choose if we want to fly the saucer or drive section would be nice too. If they had as i said a shifting boff seat set-up that while you are controling the drive section in speration mode your tactical seat becomes a ltc, or if you are using the saucer while in seperation your sci seat becomes a Ltc seat, than you could adjust an play how you would like without much issue as you only gain that ltc seat by using that specific section (drive, or saucer). YOu could add pair of smaller deflectors (maybe one on either side of the lance-emitter in the galaxyy dread for the positions of them) or a single slightly larger deflector (this could be where the lance-emitter would attach to.) to the saucer, which is revealed after seperation which could look pretty nice depending on the style used an look.

One other thing that would be nice to see is maybe an additional primary career (Tactical, science, engeer) added to the game. This could allow them to create more synergies between the careers that could make less desirable careers more useful an viable thru this addded career in the mix, as well as adding more gameplay options to the mix too.
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    captaind3 wrote: »
    I don't like to feed in to general negativity, but consider this. That would mean they prioritized a Klingon Faction ship over a Federation faction ship.

There was talk a long time ago before the mogh of a cstore negh'var but then it was cancelled. Total speculation, but it's possible that the updated skin was made a while ago.
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited March 2015
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well.....the T6 Galaxy (Andromeda Class) is not based off the Excalibur like I wished for, soooo:

Son, I am dissapoint!

Have to see more to judge the appearance of the new skin, but I desired the Excalibur at last! :(
    On the other hand I might go along with the new T6 Negh'Var, that thing looks sufficiently evil - in a good way! :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • viperiousspacedviperiousspaced Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    New blog out about the new t6 Galaxy/d'derex/neg'var.
    edited March 2015
    They were quite merciful after all.
    Concurrent with the release of these Tier 6 ships, we have also updated the look of the original Galaxy and Negh’Var starships to better match their counterparts from Star Trek canon.

For the Galaxy, a brand new model has been made. Starship connoisseurs will enjoy finding all of the small features and details pulled from the source material such as the numbered shuttle bays or the ship’s giant arboretum windows.

This new Galaxy model will replace the existing version of the Galaxy automatically and is available for all Exploration Cruiser variants.
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I wonder if they only changed the Galaxy or also the Gal-X (Lance) and if we will see a Andromeda-X soon. Next question si : How long will it take until we see a T6 Sovereign...

They are really doing it, releasing T5s as T6 after they made enough money with the T5U upgrades. Man i am disapointed (but i´ll get the Andromeda anyway)
    edited March 2015
    Oooh, very nice. And explosive aoe RSP... That could be... fun.

C'mon good layout and beauty shots... They're one dev blog away from potentially shutting up a great deal of us...
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,445 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    astro2244 wrote: »
    As expected. And she's looking good too :D

But only a couple pics? Come on devs, give us a blog where you show off your work.

But dat new Negh'tev tho
    I wonder if they only changed the Galaxy or also the Gal-X (Lance) and if we will see a Andromeda-X soon. Next question si : How long will it take until we see a T6 Sovereign...

They are really doing it, releasing T5s as T6 after they made enough money with the T5U upgrades. Man i am disapointed (but i´ll get the Andromeda anyway)
    I'm hoping we'll get an X.

As for a Tier 6 Sovereign...that would be next in the cycle so...maybe...Fall? I suppose that would come with a new Vor'cha as well.

Now I wait patiently for a Bird of prey. Sovereign and Bird of Prey and I'd pretty much be set up.

BUT MAN. They're going to KILL my dilithium supply at this rate.
    jer5488 wrote: »
    Oooh, very nice. And explosive aoe RSP... That could be... fun.

C'mon good layout and beauty shots... They're one dev blog away from potentially shutting up a great deal of us...

Make it so.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited March 2015
    I'm not gonna' lie, I'm feeling pretty happy at the moment. :)
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • cryptkeeper0cryptkeeper0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm thinking they will release defient, mogai or romulan bop, brel next. in the iconic ships, then soveriegn. Then finally the flagships. Perhaps a few one shots in between.
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,326 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I agree though not sure about that drive section look so far from the front of that galaxy varsion, but i really like the Negh'tev an D'Khellra looks so far much better. I am hoping that they actually shift the lance visual away from being attached to the Galaxy-X saucer in the star ship visual options an make it a stand-alone option with variants for each of the galaaxies. Though we could see them making a galaxy-X dreadnaught in the future (maybe even Negh'tev an D'Kellra varients too) that is a stand alone from the exploration class, which is actuially more tactically oriented (fixing an issue of it not seeming to be fitting of the dreadnaught classification by some) an with more options that fit the Galaxy-x better. With even being the first to have two hybrid seats that are not of the same secondary specialization (maybe even having different varients that have different mixes of dual hybrid seats.

One issue i see with them keeping this idea of strict hybrid seat choices without any universal hybrid seats, is that in the future as we get more secondary career choices, or if they add a true universal hybrid seat, that these ships an others will be left as obsolete. I am hoping that they release a universal hybrid seat allowing you to choose any secondary spec-career to slot in with the primary career, or a change to the universal seats that allow you to slot secondary abilities also (either being up to the stated seat rank or a rank or two below that rank). As such i hope this will start a shift away from hybrid seats being the only place to put a officer you want to use the secondary career abilities in.

I think maybe they used the fact of the T5-u upgrade to actually get data on what T-5 ships were or are being upgraded most often, and then using that to choose what ships to update/upgrade to T-6 in what order based on that info. It would actually be a good move both in a fact of gaining added revenue, getting needed data to pull the most interest in said ship, and even using some of the revenue to develope that ship well. Regardless of it being that way or not, we have what we were looking for better or worse. II do like the idea of that console though that it gives a cap boast to all sub-systems.
    edited March 2015
    Trendy mentioned more pics being added in about 15 minutes or so.

For those interested.

Her first one she titled Dat Aft.
  • willamsheridanwillamsheridan Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think the Drive section has some elements of the Yellowstone Runabout.

And of course i am happy to get my Galaxy as T& but the price (probaly 3000 Zen) feels like a ripoff because i paid that,a nd more for basically the same ship as T5 plus fleet version plusT5U upgrade. THere should at least be a 500 Zen discount for owners of a T5U or the T6 fleet versions should get a discount if they ever release them.

And i´d say that ships that didn´t get a 2409 upgrade (like the Regent for the Sovereign, the Sao PPaulo for the Defiant and the Venture for the Galaxy9 shouldn´t get a 2410/T6 upgrade either. That would mean no T6 for the Ambassador and Excelsior (even though i´d miss those two the most)

And i think there should be no T6 Defiant but they should just unlock the Defiant and Sao Paulo Skin for the Phantom which, basically, is a Defiant
    edited March 2015
    Trendy mentioned more pics being added in about 15 minutes or so.

For those interested.

Her first one she titled Dat Aft.

Huh... From that Angle she's very, very badass looking...
    edited March 2015
    Her second one: What's that Captain? You want something a little more forward facing? Oh my indeed...

Looks like a brother of the Guardian, in some places.
    edited March 2015
    Looks like Trendy moved on to the other ships (Negh'Tev got one just now). I'm guessing 2 each.

Her third one, the Negh'Tev: Maybe you'd prefer something a little fiercer?

Not going to add any further, but will update a general post in the General Discussion thread.
    edited March 2015
    Glad to see we are getting yet one more cruiser....didnt they just release 3 different ones?

So what i am asking myself is where are the escorts??¿¿ Sad and pathetic that our only option at level 60 is ONE yes you read right ONE ship,the Pathfinder...apart from that we are screwed and pigeonholed into using a slow a$$ ship with an abysmal turn rate...gj Cryptic...so this is the way its going to be?

Escorts from boxes which are only character bound as opposed to releasing them on the Zen shop so i can use them on ALL my characters...yeah im not happy.

Dude....chill out.

First of all, the Pathfinder is not an escort - it's a science ship. There are like 3 of them at T6.

Secondly, these are the hero ships. They made a T6 Intrepid/Pathfinder, now they've made a T6 Galaxy/Andromeda and when the pilot full spec launches you'll probably get your T6 Defiant/Whatever. It's almost a no brainer after this, since it's one of the iconic hero ships from Star Trek.

And last, Galaxy touch-ups have been asked by people for 2.5 - 3 years. There are like 15k posts on that topic in various 'Galaxy Class' threads. This has been a long time comming, just wait for your turn.
    New escorts comming after so much science ships and cruisers is a no-brainer.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • neo1nxneo1nx Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Glad to see we are getting yet one more cruiser....didnt they just release 3 different ones?

So what i am asking myself is where are the escorts??¿¿ Sad and pathetic that our only option at level 60 is ONE yes you read right ONE ship,the Pathfinder...apart from that we are screwed and pigeonholed into using a slow a$$ ship with an abysmal turn rate...gj Cryptic...so this is the way its going to be?

Escorts from boxes which are only character bound as opposed to releasing them on the Zen shop so i can use them on ALL my characters...yeah im not happy.

well, i anderstand your frustration but, you may have post this in a different thread, it is a galaxy thread here, WE love big fat cruiser here:D.

so they did it finally, and it daesn't seem to be the old 3 pack at the first glance, maybe they do a new 3 pack galaxy/negvar/DDeridex, that these ship would be the "mirror" of eatch other.
    that would be a more coherent proposal.
    i have to restreign my enthousiams when i read the post to avoid being disapointed just like with the galaxy reboot ( i wanted to say HYYYHA at everyword but i managed to hold still )... so far so good.
    the ship get a new skin, and more important the original skin get an hd pass, GREAT!
    breathe, calm down... here we go, now let wait the stats.
    i must said that i am rather optimistic considering that they pack these 3 iconic ship tohether.
    if only the galaxy could have a bo layout similar to the DDeridex, that would be a great thing.
    it seem, i don't want to foul myself here, but, but, but it seem! that they finally listened to every complain that we have with this ship.
    the skin error, the bad 3 pack galaxy/intrepid/defiant concept, it seem... it feel like.
    only the layout will confirm if i have good reason to be optimistic.
    i don't known how you guy feel at the moment, but it rather shaky here.

can i at last, stop posting in a galaxy thread to said how disapointed i am? i hope so!!
    please cryptic, make it so:D
  • stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Congratulations guys on the Tier 6 Galaxy! :) Let's hope it's stats are as good as her looks. ;)
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.