test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The one thing you really wish you could drill into other players' head

Comments

• bcwhguderian1941bcwhguderian1941 Member Posts: 804 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Outside of bugs, the game is what you make of it.

This folks... is solid gold. Well said Sir. :)

BCW.
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    themarie wrote: »
    This is the core of the problem. It's Trekkies vs Gamers. Some of us want actual Star Trek in STO, while the gamers are focused on DPS-firehose speed-runs, PVP issues and figuring out optimum builds.
    Real Trek is in the foundry, where it should be.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Real Trek is in the foundry, where it should be.

I am actually curious why you would say that in a game based on Trek... all real Trek content should be in some obscure location and not main stream content.

Or are you just bing a troll... because in my mind if you're not here for Trek... there are any number of games out there that are more challenging, more polished, better balanced, then this IP ever could be
  • amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The game demands no more of your time, money and energy than you want to reasonably spend on it. Once you unlock the doff system, you can literally park your starship in a single spot and level all the way to 60 without ever leaving that spot for any reason whatsoever, taking only minutes of your day to set up the day's doff assignments if that's all you want or have time to do. Call the Azura once per day to do any vendoring or shopping you need, mining assignments for dil, sci analysis assignments for crafting mats...

And it is a 100% legitimate way to play the game.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    An actual 3/8 inch drill bit....
    That is what I would like to drill into noob heads...
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Adding another level doesn't do any good as long as the majority of players think that the most effient way to get certain BNPs (and in many cases they're correct) is through Advanced Queues.

Once you fix the REWARD system... then you can balance out the existing levels to better train and outfit players... and fix the balance.

A lot of players go into Advanced simply because it's efficent to get BNPs that way if you're not the best player. Fix the reward system... and put into place conditional triggers to be able to enter into open Queues (such as you need to do 5 of those queues on Normal gain entry to Advanced.... but that wouldn't apply to private queues).... and you've gone a long way in solving the issues we have now.

Actually, it could help. If the easiest level didn't have the BNPs, and the other three did, it would make it easy for them to get them. And, it will open up the queues to more players that want to do them.

The reward system does need some work. Especially when the new Elite queues still don't even pay out as much Dil as the old Elite, and it is harder to do. The rewards should fit the time invested, and the difficulty of the queue.

About the condition triggers, there is a huge problem with that. The gap between Normal and Advance is so wide that it will not have the desired result you want it to.

Here is an example:

Before DR, I used to play the STFs all the time on Elite. I met tons of players that were failing optionals, or the whole mission. When I would get some of them to talk in Team chat, I would find out that a lot of times they didn't know how to properly do them.

And here is the main problem, a lot of times they would say that they used those tactics in Normal, and it worked every time. They would try to change it up some, but still couldn't figure it out.

I would spend hours going through teaching players that were new to the old Elite STFs how to properly do them.

But, the point is that as they are now, it doesn't matter how many times you complete Normal. Especially since this Normal difficulty is much easier at level 50 than they old one used to be. The old Normals used to unlock at level 45, and even at 50, they were harder than the new Normals. These new ones are level 40 quality.

So, with such a huge gap between Normal, and Advance, there are tons of tactics that will work in Normal that will never work in Advance. So you can complete these Normals 100 times, but never be able to complete the Advance. Even with the same optionals.

If there is going to be something that will restrict players to one difficulty till they successfully complete it so many times, then they need to make at least one of the lower levels a training mission.

It could be solo, and NPCs help out, or it can be a group training mission. But it will pretty much hold the player's hand through it, and teach them what to do.

However, this has it's own problems. There are some that may prefer another way of doing it, and they will be forced into doing them a certain way a set amount of times before they can get into the higher difficulty queues, and play it the way they want.

There are many that don't know about the forums, or that they can go to other places outside of the game to learn how to do certain content. And, sometimes they might look for help outside the game, and not know that they skipped by the right walkthrough because many are still calling the STFs by the old names that are no longer called that.

When I started playing, it was in 2013 after they were changed. For the longest time, I didn't know what someone meant when they used the old abbreviations for them. I only knew them as "The Cure" "The Hive" "The Vortex" and "The Conduit". It wasn't till someone told me that they used to have different names that I realized that people were talking about the queues I was playing.

So, some may be skipping over some walkthroughs because they don't know it is the one they are looking for.

And yes, there are some that just don't care. They just want the BNPs and other rewards, and don't care if they are doing it correct. But not all are like that.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    For new players to join a fleet with teamspeak/voice chat so they can improve their game
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »
    For new players to join a fleet with teamspeak/voice chat so they can improve their game

You don't want me on voice chat, trust me, lol. "Hey guys, what's the best build for ... <MY SON'S NAME> GET DOWN FROM THERE!!!!! ... sorry guys, what was I saying?"
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • killer1986chriskiller1986chris Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    When opening lockboxes, doff packs, or R&D packs you are buying the Lobi, doffs, or R&D materials, any ships or other bonus prizes are exactly that bonuses... NOT scams.
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    paxdawn wrote: »
    You mean the spoiled brats are not being considered? If a player knows the mechanics by now, you and your group can finish any advance queue. Having a hard time in advanced Except that players either have an illusion that they and their group are superior or ready for advance or they force themselves in a PuG that are full of leeches expecting to be carried or even trolls purpose trying to make that mission fail.

And this is part of the problem. Not everyone that can do content you can are "spoiled brats". There are some that just don't have the skills. The gap between Normal and Advance is so great that some just can't make it, unless they have others to carry them.

Yes, there are leechers in the game. Every game has them, and some game companies try to do what they can to stop them.

But to just assume that everyone that can't do what you can are "spoiled brats" is a large problem in STO. As I mentioned in previous post in this thread, everyone is different. There will be some that can't make the large gap from Normal to Advance like they would have been able to make the gap between the old Normal, and Elite.

Back then, those were much closer than they are now. And even then, there were ones that were struggling to make the old Elites.

One of the Devs said in an interview when they announced DR that high DPS players were doing level 60 DPS, but they and the content was at level 50. So, they were going to bring the players and the content up to level 60.

Problem is that they created the same situation again. Now we have high DPS players that are doing 70+ level DPS, and are at level 60. But, the ones that were struggling before DR to keep up no matter how hard they tried are getting left behind.

They need to upgrade gear, and some now need to buy the new power creep ships that are sold to try to offset what they may lack in skills. Doesn't mean that all of them are not trying, or that all of them are "spoiled brats".

It just means that unlike before, there is end game content that they can no longer play. This is because its difficulty level has now been increased too far for them to reach unless they are carried, and then they are treated like scum by those that think that others should be at their level, or higher.

I know some players like this, and they are trying to do everything they can to be able to keep up in the Advance queues. I have been helping a lot of them with this. But with the huge gap between Normal and Advance, some will just not make it unless they are carried.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    However, powercreep TRIBBLE away at the difficulty of ISE.
    And then came the Scimitard. ISE became a joke; Scimtiards flying around with their Aux2Bat BFAW builds, completing ISE in less than two minutes (one minute 52 seconds was the quickest I experienced).

Back in the old ISE, I liked seeing Scimitars. It usually meant a fast run with smooth sailing. Of course, that was before the nanite spheres became a fail mission event.

Now, the few times I've popped into ISA to test some gear changes it's usually a Scimitar that decides to troll the run by going off and popping generators on its own (and usually with enough DPS that it could solo all the spheres if they wanted to). Even after someone called out to clear the mobs before hitting the gens. If the Scimitar didn't fly up to avoid hitting the gens it was pretty much a guaranteed fail. My Risian Corvette can tow spheres with the Soliton Wave but she's not set up to take a sustained beating and the cooldown on it makes it only good for one attempt at buying time per side.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    one thing I really wish I could drill into other player`s head`s,

that I`m always right.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    You don't want me on voice chat, trust me, lol. "Hey guys, what's the best build for ... <MY SON'S NAME> GET DOWN FROM THERE!!!!! ... sorry guys, what was I saying?"

Push to Talk, something everyone on voice comms should use.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
    edited March 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »

Fortunately, the Devs didn't think that STF's that could be completed with such ease were a good thing either. And I am of the opinon that they were right. I don't think their answer to it was particularly great, but by the same token, it can at least be said that ISA can be a challenge now.

Getting trolled by vape-capable Scimitars is not a challenge that I like.

Risian Corvettes have more crowd control available then most people think but with only an ensign Sci and lt universal there's no grav wells for fire-and-forget CC. Soliton works, but I can't be pointed towards the transformer and it's only good for one go per side. EWP1 and Subspace Wake are only slows. Nukara mines only do 4 with MDP and the hold isn't that long and their arming time takes forever. I'd have to give up my one copy of HE to pick up TBR. Constriction Anchor only hits one and has a long cooldown. And usually, after popping the gen the Scimitar warps out or just sits there and makes no attempt to burn down the transformer, which it usually seems it would be capable of doing on its own with time to spare. My ship can pull its weight but it can't CC and make up for vaper's DPS at the same time.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Stop ruining the game; stop whaling.

You people buy everything they sell, play every grind the add and defend every nerf. Then you come on here and ask wtf just happened to the game...

Reward your puppy with a treat for crapping on the floor, and guess what will be waiting for you when you get home - more TRIBBLE!

I love it everytime the developers say "up to our standard", as if there is one, when the fanatics auto-buying in that's exactly what is missing, a standard.

Rather they made it a buttom less pit where it's 50/50 dying for new content and then hoping to god they re-roll their nerfs when it actually comes out
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Back in the old ISE, I liked seei... My Risian Corvette can tow spheres with the Solit

Don't bring knife to a gunfight, dude. You're just trolling the run...

ISA needs high DPS, very sturdy ships. Stop being the cause of fail...
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
    edited March 2015
    bernatk wrote: »
    Don't bring knife to a gunfight, dude. You're just trolling the run...

ISA needs high DPS, very sturdy ships. Stop being the cause of fail...

I stopped doing ISA because I didn't like the mission fail of the nanite spheres and how easy it was for both intentional and unintentional trolling. Or is 10k - 16k not considered enough for ISA now? I don't do anything with the channels so I'm not trolling any of their runs though it seems suspect if 10k isn't sufficient to pug these days that the 10k channel would still exist.
  • taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I stopped doing ISA because I didn't like the mission fail of the nanite spheres and how easy it was for both intentional and unintentional trolling. Or is 10k - 16k not considered enough for ISA now? I don't do anything with the channels so I'm not trolling any of their runs though it seems suspect if 10k isn't sufficient to pug these days that the 10k channel would still exist.

Five people with 15k should actually be able to ignore the spheres altogether, and just focus fire on the transformer.
    We did a 4 man ISA the other day (1 player dc'd at the start)
    We all had around 18 - 20k dps.
    Took 8 mins, and we needed the grav well in that case for the sphere.

But had the other been there, we couldve ignored the spheres completely, and been done in 5-6mins.

5 players with 10k should be more then capable, provided someone is on CC duty with Grav well.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
    edited March 2015
    Five people with 15k should actually be able to ignore the spheres altogether, and just focus fire on the transformer.

You can't count on having five people with 15k in a pug.

My initial post in this thread was something to the point of "you can't count on DPS channel tactics to work if it requires that channel's DPS to work in a pug".

While a conservative plan may add a few intolerable minutes to a run it also helps avoid the 30 minutes and 10 marks of a fail in a group with unknown capabilities.
  • synfoolasynfoola Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You can't count on having five people with 15k in a pug.

My initial post in this thread was something to the point of "you can't count on DPS channel tactics to work if it requires that channel's DPS to work in a pug".

While a conservative plan may add a few intolerable minutes to a run it also helps avoid the 30 minutes and 10 marks of a fail in a group with unknown capabilities.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post and have seen way too many ISA's ruined because of this error in thinking. PuGs are for casuals and players who are still cutting their teeth. So many people are running/submitting parsers nowadays that, if you stand out among the PuGsters, you'll get an invite to the DPS channels and then you can run with those players if you're expecting consistent fast runs and their accompanying strats. Otherwise, if you didn't down the opening cube in under a handful of seconds, just take those whopping extra 3-4 minutes in a PuG in stride and earn the reward for the entire team using the old method.
  • sgtschatzsgtschatz Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    “Your greatness is measured by your kindness; your education and intellect by your modesty; your ignorance is betrayed by your suspicions and prejudices, and your real caliber is measured by the consideration and tolerance you have for others.”
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015

With CC (GW/etc), you could have folks in the 4-6k range and avoid the fail. Would need to get more into the 6-8k range to get the Optional as well. Have gotten the Optional with the group doing as little as 35-36k. Five folks with 10k is overkill for ISA. The 10k channel is a farming channel...it's for folks doing 10k+ so that runs don't take very long, those folks looking for the quick 'n easy run. Has little to do with any requirements for the actual content as far as failing.

Being the "Elitist" that I am, I even suggested when they were doing the wipe to bump 10k up to 15k or even 20k...cause 10k's so easy to get and nobody even really needs to have a clue what they're doing to get it - so it might as well be Public instead. Course, part of that was me hoping they'd set it at 20k after doing a full wipe and that I'd not have to worry about the channels again...lol, yeah, I wanted them to exclude me....wheeee.

A successful (including Optional) ISA run can take over 16 minutes, depending on how long the initial engagement takes - cause the 15 minute Optional countdown doesn't start until after that completes. I've had runs where those initial Spheres scatter to the four winds and it's a case of wobbling on over to take them out. For some folks out there, a run taking even 9 minutes is too much of a burden for them to suffer through...oh noes, the end of the worlds!

And that's why the DPS channels are great for them...they get their 10k and off they go if that's the kind of farming run they're interested in.

But when folks show up doing 1-3k...that's going to put a burden on the rest of the team - they'll need that much more buffer to cover that, than if the person was in the 4-5k range while bringing some CC. The requirements for avoiding the fail are low, the requirements to get the Optional are low...but they're not that low.

Let's say we go with that team 36k for the Optional...what's the team DPS for Ryan's 120k run? 298,887 DPS...yeah, that run instead of being over 16 minutes was just under 2 minutes. Heck, I see somebody listed there that a 4-man did it in 8 minutes with somewhere between 74-80k+ DPS. Again, the Optional is a 15 minute counter that starts after the initial engagement and that group's entire run was around 8 minutes, eh?

So that's where it gets into the discussion about folks showing up doing too little...the folks barely doing 1-3k DPS and the like...and then wondering how folks can defend folks showing up for an Advanced doing that.

Course, cause there are folks out there that want everybody doing 20k+...some folks out there will lump the folks wondering about those 1-3k folks in with those 20k+ folks...

...and thus the forums continue to be the best source of PvP the game offers. Meh... /facepalm
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    A drill

Cuz I am old skool like that
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • waldotrekwaldotrek Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    1 You don't have to read Zone Chat
    2 Great Fleets are like expensive cake...crappy one's are like Pop Tarts
    3 Helping new players out is always a "good idea"
    4 Don't be afraid to ask before the mission starts.
    Former Moderator 10-28-16
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If you don't enjoy this game and it makes you unhappy just thinking about it, for your own well being and for anyone tired of listening to you cry about it; Don't play or post about it.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    An Industrial Grade drill

Cuz I am old skool like that

There you go, I fixed that for you!

:eek::D:P
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ESD zone chat, is not a toilet.
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's Berg (rhymes with Borg)-Ins.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    I am actually curious why you would say that in a game based on Trek... all real Trek content should be in some obscure location and not main stream content.

Or are you just bing a troll... because in my mind if you're not here for Trek... there are any number of games out there that are more challenging, more polished, better balanced, then this IP ever could be
    STFs are not a format for conveying Trek.

Missions are a great format for conveying Trek.

The Foundry is a vast source of missions.

Real Trek is in the Foundry, where it should be.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • yellowsunwarroryellowsunwarror Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've just now started making Foundry Missions and I am having a blast...despite some of the restrictions and limits, which just means I have to be that much more creative.
    Please review my first Foundry Mission. Attention to orders.
    Mission Code: ST-HF7GJONHM - Update! This mission has graduated and can now be found in Browse All! Thank you everyone for your reviews.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]