test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What Lag? [video]

Comments

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    deokkent wrote: »
    There are multiple threads on the forum that can help you test your internet connection. Please utilize those resources to improve your connection to the servers.

Click here.

That connection testing, does so very little, as it is testing to their test servers located in California if I am not mistaken, while their game servers are in Boston!

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1391951

This was noticed as well by myself awhile ago and, I am by no means some heavy hitter in the dps dept.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• lordmanzelotlordmanzelot Member Posts: 468 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lag? in this game? no a new level of game experience!
    Subscribed For: 2300+ Days
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ezriryan wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8aKBPZ79Y

Good evening Captains,

Basically what all 75k+ Premade runs look like..
    Not quite as bad in lower runs, but still noticeable.
    Lag doesnt really translate well to a Video as the viewer doesnt know what is being pressed and expected, but the rubberbanding and even the standstill should be pretty obvious...

(just making sure):
    Pingplotter plots a 100ms, ingame 150 according to netgraph
    Its not only my Computer, because everyone was experiencing the issue.
    And its not only a european problem, as players from the states experience it too...

best regards
    RyanSTO

it wouldnt matter how many videos you posted about lag, your connection, your distance, the line between any issues there or not there. that info doesnt translate to other players because it is specifically about your end which invalides itself because there are many players who get bad connections for reasons beyond their control and you get those who may live along central or eastern areas of the usa who get superfast connections with no issue at all. besides that your video could be dressed up exactly the right times to look good and when the video cuts the connect starts going bad. i have no idea, you have no idea. cryptic has no idea either, they can llike we can only work with what we got and hope we have good clean speeds.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited March 2015
    it wouldnt matter how many videos you posted about lag, your connection, your distance, the line between any issues there or not there. that info doesnt translate to other players because it is specifically about your end which invalides itself because there are many players who get bad connections for reasons beyond their control and you get those who may live along central or eastern areas of the usa who get superfast connections with no issue at all.

IMO, some of the issue stems from ISP's, not getting along too well with 1 another, network wise.

• sf911sf911 Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Some interesting updates on this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1406991&page=2

Look at post #15.

I really hope the devs will look at this trait/spec-tree-induced lag.
  • ezriryanezriryan Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    it wouldnt matter how many videos you posted about lag [...] because there are many players who get bad connections for reasons beyond their control and you get those who may live along central or eastern areas of the usa who get superfast connections with no issue at all. besides that your video could be dressed up exactly the right times to look good and when the video cuts the connect starts going bad [...]

It seems to me that you're thinking that I dont see any lag. I'd therefore suggest you actually watch the video ;D
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I’m just replying again to put further emphasis on the mentioned problem with star ship traits probably the cause of lag problems.

I made some 4 dozen PVE this weekend. 80% where ground runs without any lag problems or what so ever. The few space runs where extremely lagy, especially KASA I did in my JHSS. On one of the KASA matches I disengaged this ship’s native trait resulting in a much smoother running PvE.

I think some further testing is in order but it’s highly likely that Cryptic has some serious bugs on topic to sort out.

With more and more peeps bringing ship traits to matches this problem certainly won’t go away by itself.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • ezriryanezriryan Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the spam of abilities is clearly reduced when u remove all the shiptraits, but we can make it lag even without any traits (Ship/Rep/personal).
    Its not nearly as horrible as with all the stuff on, but still noticeable. I guess its the way they handle stacks.. as in, every single stack of elite shields, Plasmonic leech on you and your targets, supremacy, anchored, pedal, assimilated 2p's hullhealing spamming its heal every 1/10th of a second for the radiant nanite cloud... gets its duration calculated seperately...
    When someone shoots me so my fleet shield stacks to 5, then takes a break and shoots me a couple seconds later to stack my fleet shield by another 5 stacks - the first 5 actually fall off before the last stacks - and you can see it counting down your stacks at the speed at which they build up.
    So every single stack has its own creation time, duration and removal time saved and recalculated every second. (or as the UI refresh might suggest ... 8-10 times per second?) Not sure how the server side handles things, but this massive bloat of timers might be part of the problem.
    If the instance server has a maximum limitation of how many timers to refresh per second, that would explain why, when everyone goes wild you see 2-3 seconds of stand-stills. And if this limitation is low enough the actual server capacity is not even reached, it just locks out the instance to preserv overall performance. And since the server is only operating at 30% capacity surely it must be something else?

That would not explain why it still does its lag behaviour when no one uses those traits though.
    So possibly the ISA server is at its maximum capacity? The guessing game doesnt really work without knowing how its actually set up.
  • lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We did just play a pug korfez. We got the benthans and just noticed how lags increased over time. Just before the second wave of turei freighters spawned, even the timer slowed down more and more. It was going down by 1 second every 5 seconds at the end.

That was clearly not just a graphical problem on client side, because enemies did not spawn until the timer ran out.
    edited March 2015
    I guess, we can also look at it this way, from a programming perspective.

Missions designed for 5 people, while all of these new additions being added in game causing possible bugs, plus tons of new abilities/traits pushing ever higher dps capabilities and, more hangar vessels produced.

The mission deigned for 5 people in the past, can have people running in it pushing the dmg capability of 10-100 player's, just from 1-5 player's these days.

Talk about a possible server confusion overload, hence also not corresponding to certain programming errors/bugs.

Further made problematic, when getting ISP's & internet traffic speeds in the equation.

• darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    To be honest, the rubberbanding made that match seem a lot more interesting. Those aren't very exciting builds/ships to fly...
    edited March 2015
    To be honest, the rubberbanding made that match seem a lot more interesting. Those aren't very exciting builds/ships to fly...

They made it to prove a point, a point which should be made and which for some reason hinders me to play space maps lag free as of late. (ground maps run smoothly as ever by the way)

Peeps grind rep traits, peeps grind spec trees, peeps pay fortune of ec for certain personal and ship traits… now this is the result?

Cryptic must be kidding.
    animated.gif
    edited March 2015
    nandospc wrote: »

That's a good start! :)
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They made it to prove a point, a point which should be made and which for some reason hinders me to play space maps lag free as of late. (ground maps run smoothly as ever by the way)

Peeps grind rep traits, peeps grind spec trees, peeps pay fortune of ec for certain personal and ship traits… now this is the result?

Cryptic must be kidding.

Well, if that's the best DPS build there is, if that's the play style at the end of the grind, then the game deserves to die. Seriously, that looks like a ship where you pilot it to a location, stop it and then SPACEBAR!! SPACEBAR!! SPACEBAR!! SPACEBAR!! SPACEBAR!!
    edited March 2015
    if that's the play style at the end of the grind, then the game deserves to die.

Go relax on Risa man and use the playstyle you see fit. ;)
    animated.gif
  • holofrogholofrog Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited March 2015

“Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man.“
    - Friedrich Nietzsche
    and then SPACEBAR!! SPACEBAR!! SPACEBAR!! SPACEBAR!! SPACEBAR!!

Don't use a Spacebar all-in-one macro, it's bad for DPS.
    edited April 2015
    Another demonstration of the trait-related lag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLKRoq-ejx0
    edited April 2015
    holofrog wrote: »
    Another Week, another patch, and the lag - is still alive :D

It's so funny, that Crypitic isn't saying anything about that big issue.

I can say the same about the patch of this week... :mad:
  • nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd like to see a dev reply here, because even this night we had the same problem described by the OP. We decided to make a fun run with our main toons and... dooooom! Rubberbanding, slides-like movements and lag... meh:(
  • weaver936weaver936 Member Posts: 83 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ezriryan wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at8aKBPZ79Y

Good evening Captains,

Basically what all 75k+ Premade runs look like..
    Not quite as bad in lower runs, but still noticeable.
    Lag doesnt really translate well to a Video as the viewer doesnt know what is being pressed and expected, but the rubberbanding and even the standstill should be pretty obvious...

(just making sure):
    Pingplotter plots a 100ms, ingame 150 according to netgraph
    Its not only my Computer, because everyone was experiencing the issue.
    And its not only a european problem, as players from the states experience it too...

best regards
    RyanSTO

What DPS meter is that you are using to see the readout in game?
  • jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    weaver936 wrote: »
    What DPS meter is that you are using to see the readout in game?

Combatlogreader, specifically the mini function therein.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
    edited April 2015
    I'd like to see a dev reply here,(

Perhaps they want to maintain silence about the lag issue.
    What they don't want to see, can't be a problem for them. :(

For three months (?) the game is unplayable. And at the moment, I think, the game is not going to be playable without serverlags again in the next months.
    edited April 2015
    holofrog wrote: »
    Perhaps they want to maintain silence about the lag issue.
    What they don't want to see, can't be a problem for them.
    But, to be honest, i don't care about what they want to maintain "secret". The problem is present, public, limpid and known by everyone.
    To me is just unprofessional this behaviour, an official statement is what we actually need. Damn, i'm tired to repeat the same thing everytime lol :D
    edited April 2015
    Lag has reached new levels after today's server maintenance (at least for me)...
    I really enjoy STO. I really do not enjoy the lag.
  • velzandarvelzandar Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm having major issues as well, with rubber-banding and "server not responding", even been Dc'd a few times.

I thought maybe it was my ISP, but it looks like everyone's having issues.

Be nice if this was addressed.
    edited April 2015
    Up
    We did another isa tonight, with new delta toons (so no traits, no specializations etc...) and the result was the same bs as op described: rubberband and lag.
    This is too much... fix this problem :(
    edited April 2015
    The Lag is getting worse.
    Now I have lags and rubberbanding even in patrols on a new character without stacking traits.

Dysonground is another example for the massive serverdelay. It takes ages until you can interact with the consoles on artilleryfields.

An official statemant would be very appreciated.
  • keravnioskeravnios Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Well +1 to this.. Game is looking real bad right now with all this rubber banding.
    Its so bad we have come to accept it, that sto will always have lag. Seriously is this your game?