test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mortal Boffs

meldrithpwmeldrithpw Member Posts: 360 Arc User
I know this has been touched on before, but i just wanted to throw it out there again.

ground mission stuff: love the disintegration graphic, but it occurs to me, that i've never seen one of my boffs get disintegrated. (hm, that's odd, i wonder why?)

so here's the idea: on elite and advanced maps, let the boffs get disintegrated at the same rate as Mobs; disintegrated boffs (with all their equipment) are actually disintegrated--gone, no kneel and patch 'em up, no respawn, just gone.

One of the things that gets me about boffs is that they're so common that they're cheaper than doffs on the exchange. This problem has been largely decreased by the padd system, (thx devs) or at least to the point that they're not cheaper than tribbles anymore, but i still think it's not enough. If there was a risk of actually losing that redshirt in a battle, it should really buff the value of good boffs.

I mean really, a highly trained astronaut is less on the exchange than a janitor? something just doesn't feel right about it.

And for storyline, though i was devastated at the death of Tasha Yar--(love Denise Crosby,) it did serve as a reminder that bridge officers, like The Doctor's companions, (R.I.P. Adric,) are mortal.

Other mechanics that should yeild boff deaths: too many internal injuries and space combat.

in space combat, aside from all the attacks that decrease 'alive' crew, (which should kill off boffs by a percentage chance = #of boffs/#of ships complement) those attacks that disable crew should pile injuries on boffs at the same rate. crit hits should have a similar chance of killing or wounding (disabling) them off too, making their highly trained skills unavailble till you can find someone to replace them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No.

I've put too much time and effort into getting my crew how I want it to risk losing it to the RNG.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Acceptable, but only if this applies to your character as well. As in, if you die, then you lose everything and have to start again.

The loss of plot armor should apply to EVERYONE. :P
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    Acceptable, but only if this applies to your character as well. As in, if you die, then you lose everything and have to start again.

The loss of plot armor should apply to EVERYONE. :P

I actually LIKE that idea....but i've got so many alts it's hard to cycle through them all in a day....

but...since the pc is the central character in any given player's personal story, i don't think it would work. The hero never dies permanently, except in early 1970s movies, or at the end of the story to complete their quest.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You could just do this manually. Boff goes down then remove from your roster without keeping anything.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nope. Some of those BOFFs are premiums also. C-Store, Lobi, T4 Diplomacy/Marauder. A number of 1-time rewards. Not to mention some expensive trait for others.

It's one thing to design, build, and promote a game with permanent loss mechanics in mind. That's fine. As long as people coming in to play understand that. But changing the game AFTER it goes live with permanent loss mechanics, esp STO that has been around FIVE YEARS without such a thing is a bad move.

People in this game freak out that NPCs actually might do something. Now you want to have stuff permanently lost?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ive been vaporized before, somehow i am revived and sent on my way, the same with dead voth medics and spec ops that somehow revive themselves as if they were never vaporized to begin with. its not a new thing. but as far as boffs go, what if they were all vaporized and you want your boffs back to turn the tables on an op enemy like the breen mini bosses with the crm gun. but you were never paying attention to where they were killed, so how would you find vaporized boffs exactly? :P

cryptic logic maybe wierd, but at least they never added that nonsensical element in the game.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the same with dead voth medics and spec ops that somehow revive themselves as if they were never vaporized to begin with.

That is why I always bring the Voth boff along. He self revives.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Didn't you know? Q is on our side. If we or someone with us dies, he brings them back again.
  • Options
    ironcaniacironcaniac Member Posts: 131 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    Your Boffs and you only get "incapacitated" not killed. Think of it as a corollary to the Stormtrooper Marksmanship trope. Enemy troops only use the stun setting against the heroes. :D
    After only 4 months, 19 weeks, 134 days, it's here. It's real!
    wbur87.jpg
    U.S.S. Tempest
  • Options
    woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No.

I've put too much time and effort into getting my crew how I want it to risk losing it to the RNG.

They would introduce clones for zen to compensate.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Let's do a variation on it.

Exclusive to Elite Ground. Your Boffs, if they reach zero, will emergency beam out as they're collapsing instead of actually lay there unconscious and will not return. To reclaim them, you must wait an hour and visit the Medbay on any ship or station, and reclaim them.

During that time, you will not be able to use the Boffs in ground or space.

After all, all sides should be advanced enough for emergency ports out.
  • Options
    farranorfarranor Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The bridge officers in STO match bridge officers in the shows: they are INVINCIBLE IMMORTAL UNKILLABLE GODS OF FURY.

...until they decide to leave the show, at which point they're one-shot by A) tar or B) a demon.
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    meldrithpw wrote: »
    I know this has been touched on before, but i just wanted to throw it out there again.

ground mission stuff: love the disintegration graphic, but it occurs to me, that i've never seen one of my boffs get disintegrated. (hm, that's odd, i wonder why?)

so here's the idea: on elite and advanced maps, let the boffs get disintegrated at the same rate as Mobs; disintegrated boffs (with all their equipment) are actually disintegrated--gone, no kneel and patch 'em up, no respawn, just gone.

One of the things that gets me about boffs is that they're so common that they're cheaper than doffs on the exchange. This problem has been largely decreased by the padd system, (thx devs) or at least to the point that they're not cheaper than tribbles anymore, but i still think it's not enough. If there was a risk of actually losing that redshirt in a battle, it should really buff the value of good boffs.

I mean really, a highly trained astronaut is less on the exchange than a janitor? something just doesn't feel right about it.

And for storyline, though i was devastated at the death of Tasha Yar--(love Denise Crosby,) it did serve as a reminder that bridge officers, like The Doctor's companions, (R.I.P. Adric,) are mortal.

Other mechanics that should yeild boff deaths: too many internal injuries and space combat.

in space combat, aside from all the attacks that decrease 'alive' crew, (which should kill off boffs by a percentage chance = #of boffs/#of ships complement) those attacks that disable crew should pile injuries on boffs at the same rate. crit hits should have a similar chance of killing or wounding (disabling) them off too, making their highly trained skills unavailble till you can find someone to replace them.

Ah... the usual... I'm a faux hardcore player... so we need a mechanic in place to make everyone play like me routine.

But it's simple to do... .everytime you finish a combat and one of your BO lays dead on the ground... you need to delete them... permanently... including all their gear... immediately

When you get blown up in space.... delete that Captain... immediately... no transfer of gear.... nothing... exit... menu... delete Captain...

Captain dies on ground and you BOffs don't rez you before the end of combat... same thing...

Take you all of 5 seconds to do it that way... and no one would have to suffer through your idea of "everyone needs to play the way I do".

When it's that easy to delete a BOff or a Captain... there is no need for a mechanic to do it for you... stop being lazy and just do it.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm just gonna say straight up, no to this - I invest far too much time and effort, even into Boffs, to tolerate them being killed off...

And what she said, if you really want an Iron Man mode in STO :
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Ah... the usual... I'm a faux hardcore player... so we need a mechanic in place to make everyone play like me routine.

But it's simple to do... .everytime you finish a combat and one of your BO lays dead on the ground... you need to delete them... permanently... including all their gear... immediately

When you get blown up in space.... delete that Captain... immediately... no transfer of gear.... nothing... exit... menu... delete Captain...

Captain dies on ground and you BOffs don't rez you before the end of combat... same thing...

Take you all of 5 seconds to do it that way... and no one would have to suffer through your idea of "everyone needs to play the way I do".

When it's that easy to delete a BOff or a Captain... there is no need for a mechanic to do it for you... stop being lazy and just do it.
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tovan Khev! Any time he is on an away team for me he is down with the first shot fired every freaking time! Would finally solve the "how to get rid of Tovan Khev" dilemma....
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i wonder if old tovan would know that in that case ppl would FF his TRIBBLE so quick he'd be in digital hell going ' huh, what happened ????? ' before he knew it................
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    meldrithpw wrote: »

How's about NO?!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »

^This.

If anything you're idea would devalue boffs and gear because people would stop buying boffs with superior traits and they would stop buying good gear for them, even people with the best gear die sometimes.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    would work except for one guy: Thovan Khev. can't delte him, can't kill him, can't disintegrate him.

can't get rid of his whiney a** no matter what you do.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If they didn't just fall down you could not rez them.

I'd agree with them being beamed up to the medbay, and another, random, boff taking their place.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    antzudanantzudan Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would like this BUT they should only do it with BOFFs at Ensign. That way we can choose if a BOFF is someone we want to risk losing or is an important member of our crew. And of course would be a great way to reference Redshirts...

Plus it would give BOFF ranks a purpose again after they made them all have all of their ground skills and space skills available regardless of rank.