test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Android as a playable race

meldrithpwmeldrithpw Member Posts: 360 Arc User
any chance of this? even as a purchase to play race it should be workable

i mean, the lifers can get the android boff, and now we've got apu doffs...so......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    meldrithpw wrote: »
    any chance of this? even as a purchase to play race it should be workable

i mean, the lifers can get the android boff, and now we've got apu doffs...so......

I thought this, along with endgame Constitution, was forbidden by CBS.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Yes ... /10Chars
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Just make a toon in the character creation window and give him/her an android back story in the bio. Problem solved. They don't need to be a separate race.

^This /10chars
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    kojirohellfirekojirohellfire Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, CBS said NO.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Havn't you asked this half a dozen times already?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015

you "thought" implies you dont know.

i know that a few years ago that it was stated to be the case that CBS shot it down. they wanted the android race to be unique from what i understood.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

i know that a few years ago that it was stated to be the case that CBS shot it down. they wanted the android race to be unique from what i understood.

Wow. Way to an an ***. But thanks for confirming that my "thought" was indeed correct. Now I "know". :rolleyes:
    GrWzQke.png
  • Options
    liniisanliniisan Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, CBS said NO.
    what do they care?????
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Right. They said they wanted Data to be rare.

What this might translate into is, "Playable Soong-Type Androids as a lockbox prize" if they ever iron out species respecs.
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    liniisan wrote: »
    what do they care?????

They control the license and they lay down the rules for Cryptic to use their license.
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Right. They said they wanted Data to be rare.

What this might translate into is, "Playable Soong-Type Androids as a lockbox prize" if they ever iron out species respecs.

Neverwinter has already done this with the Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn race in the Dragonforged Lockbox. It is an account unlock. I think you need to purchase a Race Reroll token for 1500 Zen for current characters which respecs everything on your character except for Class. Since Neverwinter and Star Trek Online supposedly use the same engine, then it should be possible for this to happen in Star Trek Online.
  • Options
    liniisanliniisan Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    They control the license and they lay down the rules for Cryptic to use their license.

no i get that i mean what do they care if android is a playable race
  • Options
    prolegapprolegap Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    Neverwinter has already done this with the Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn race in the Dragonforged Lockbox. It is an account unlock. I think you need to purchase a Race Reroll token for 1500 Zen for current characters which respecs everything on your character except for Class. Since Neverwinter and Star Trek Online supposedly use the same engine, then it should be possible for this to happen in Star Trek Online.

http://i.imgur.com/AI3VQwZ.jpg

Oh for F... Why would it even be a technical limitation in the first place? It's just a race with a special racial trait, and some unique costume/head parts.

The problem is that CBS has certain ideas on what's permissible to include in the game and what not. Androids other than data seem to be one of the non-permissible things, so Cryptic just can't do it.
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    and i can name at least 2 instances where androids/robots have shown their faces in TOS , what are little girls made of and mudds women to name them....granted that they aren't SOONG-type androids, but some1 needs to clue cryptic/cbs into that fact.......besides i'd rather have a playable hologram....

just my 2 cr worth
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And you think Starfleet's going to trust an android built by Ancient Aliens? Especially with all the trouble Ancient Aliens are causing just now?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    liniisan wrote: »
    no i get that i mean what do they care if android is a playable race

Because they said no its as simple as that.

No IF'S or AND'S...

Sooooooo...

Albanian Jo

American Nope, Uh-Uh, No way

Apache Dah

Arabic Lay, La or Laa

Basque Ez

Cantonese Mhai’

Danish Jen

Farsi Nah

French Non

German Nein

Hawaiian ‘A’ ole

Hindi Naheen (and others)

Manchu Waka

Maori Aka

Nepali Ahaa

Russian Nyet

Tagalog Hindi (po)

Tibetan Yo

Zulu Cha

Zuni ‘Ella

In 20 different Languages... :rolleyes:
    JtaDmwW.png
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Make a new alien character...give him the traits you want him to have...make him look how you want him to have...congrats you just made a playable android
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We can already get ourselves a whole crew of Boff androids if we want.
    They're not special or unique at all. You can even modify them at the tailor.
    Nobody knows for certain. Other then CBS said "No".
    "Supposedly".
    I've never actually seen any documentation from CBS on this though. All I've ever seen presented in the forums, is a dev quote during a podcast.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "Supposedly".
    I've never actually seen any documentation from CBS on this though. All I've ever seen presented in the forums, is a dev quote during a podcast.

few of the CBS 'no's" aren't documented
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Replicant

You could always roll a 'Replicant' of one of your existing toons. The writers for 'Whispers' even said it wasn't a clone. (Though they directly stated it wasn't an android either.)

Use the Alien base and choose appropriate specs for a 'Replicant.'
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited March 2015
    "Supposedly".

No, You can get exactly 1x Android Boff on duty at any time that has access to all the special android unlocks, unless using some weird game glitch like the giant tailed aliens seen during the winter event.

So that would make them unique as only a 700 day subscriber or Lifetime sub has access to the 1x Android boff.

PS they are meant to be customizable in the tailor by design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ok i stand corrected....but i WAS right in 1 respect....... it DID have HF mudd in it.

+1 for playable holograms
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    kapla1755 wrote: »
    No, You can get exactly 1x Android Boff on duty at any time that has access to all the special android unlocks, unless using some weird game glitch like the giant tailed aliens seen during the winter event.

So that would make them unique as only a 700 day subscriber or Lifetime sub has access to the 1x Android boff.

PS they are meant to be customizable in the tailor by design.

Ah I see, I thought you could use more then one. I used to use them to train TS3. Ypu could keep buying them as needed.
    I never actually tried to have 4 of them on mission with me. Assumed you could.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm still wondering about the APU Boff that was seemingly hinted at...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Of course the CBS vetoes are real. Cryptic/PWE would never voluntarily pass up cash cows like endgame Connies and android player races.

Oh i don't doubt that CBS said "No" to an end game Connie, or playable android. Just haven't seen anything official from them on it.
    So we can't say "why", is all I'm saying. Its all speculation.

But it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had veto'd an end game Connie and android.
    They run that IP like Willy Wonka does his chocolate factory.
    With no logic (strange being this is the Star Trek IP), its pretty silly they'd want to reduce their own profits with these 2 strange vetos.
    Its not like an end game Connie or playable android in STO would hurt their brand.
    But, if that's how they choose to operate...its only hurting them.
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    kapla1755kapla1755 Member Posts: 1,249
    edited March 2015
    Ah I see, I thought you could use more then one. I used to use them to train TS3. Ypu could keep buying them as needed.
    I never actually tried to have 4 of them on mission with me. Assumed you could.

Prior to the training manuals it was the easiest way for Lifers to get a free TS-3 boff to train your crew, used to do that all the time myself, its still the cheapest way for lifers. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Yes. /thread
    3lsZz0w.jpg