test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A more customizable power tray

griceneilgriceneil Member Posts: 26 Arc User
Thoughts welcome from STO Devs and fellow players.

What do you think to a more customisable power tray. I currently have the power tray on setting number 4, which gives you 3 rows.
I know you get bridge powers on top, however with so many powers you can add to the tray these days, I still find it a challenge to group them together how I like.

I was wondering if the devs at sto could make this customisable where perhaps you could specify/ expand/grow the power tray accordingly to your desired number of cells for your screen resolution.

Anyway thoughts welcome. Thankyou all
Post edited by griceneil on

Comments

• Options
    methos5kmethos5k Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I think it's a great idea. I've thought it would be nice if we could add a 'square' anytime we wanted, and "dock" them, to each other, vertically or horizontally. It would make sense to have a limit, but let's say it's 20 extra (just for the sake of a figure.)
    I use tray option #3 + the vertical bar, but if I had the option for a bit of customization, I think I would use it.. :)
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You can open second tray for another 1-3 rows of buttons...but its vertical and hard to fit on the screen without either overlapping something, reducing your view in the middle, or just plain looking butt-ugly. Right now I have it on the top of the screen next to the minimap. It works but its inconvenient and I find it hard to keep attention on both trays so I only put rarely-used buttons there.

If the second tray could be set to horizontal like the main tray, so I could put them side-by-side and watch them both at once, there would be more than enough for everything.
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Some of them worked on CoH...I'd really dig the customizable bars from CoH.
  • Options
    mavolio121mavolio121 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I also yearn for a way to take these LOONNNG hotbar rows of 12 hotkeys and be able to "box" them up (for lack of a better meaning) in say a 3x3 squares.

(edit) and be able to adjust the "font" size of them because on a 32" monitor my hot bars are flipping Giamongnormous
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mavolio121 wrote: »
    (edit) and be able to adjust the "font" size of them because on a 32" monitor my hot bars are flipping Giamongnormous
    You can. In the basic tab of the options window, there is a slider for "interface scale."
  • Options
    amezukiamezuki Member Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mavolio121 wrote: »
    I also yearn for a way to take these LOONNNG hotbar rows of 12 hotkeys and be able to "box" them up (for lack of a better meaning) in say a 3x3 squares.

OMG this, a million times THIS. The functionality for moving UI elements around in this game is fantastic, but the lack of customizability of the hotbar is really godawful.

The gold standard for me in terms of MMO UI customizability will always be EverQuest 2. Each hotbar row of 12 could be independently positioned, resized, and configured to your exact needs. This is an old pic of what my hotbar layout looked like before I retired from raiding:

http://ayashi.net/foo/newui-200712.png

Top core row was DPS rotation. Alt-row was heals, Ctrl-row for buffs and secondary combat abilities, and the fourth core row at the bottom was rezzes and other important abilities not in the above categories.

The three hotbars to either side were rearranged into a 2x6 grid of smaller icons, and these were used for consumable items, maintained buffs that only needed to be recast after being rezzed, and lesser-used out-of-combat abilities like opening portals.

And that was -eight years ago-. You can imagine how frustrating I find the limitations of the hotbar as it currently exists in STO, especially now that I'm getting into the endgame and earning a lot more abilities that no longer fit on three hotbars.

It doesn't help that the BOFF hotbar takes up a lot of space and is very difficult to cleanly organize once you have more than three officers.

I would love it if each hotbar row could be opened as a separate window, and that their grid could be resized the same way you can with the bank/inventory windows.
    Fleet Admiral L'Yern - Screenshot and doffing addict
    Eclipse Class Intel Cruiser U.S.S. Dioscuria NX-91121-A - Interactive Crew Roster
  • Options
    freezy321freezy321 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    amezuki wrote: »
    OMG this, a million times THIS.

http://ayashi.net/foo/newui-200712.png.

That looks very nice!

We could also use some more state shift key-binds (ctrl, alt and shift only get us so far)

It would be really nice to sort powers on cooldown duration and shared cooldowns.
    I position the longer ones towards the end of the bar (as you hardly use them).

ctrl, alt and shift 1,2,3,4,5 are the main keys I press.
    I also map c to some utility power like gravwell or launch fighters.

Some items like batteries, shields and such are mapped so weirdly that I hardly use them efficiently.
    Perhaps it would be nice to have the option to turn shield face controls to a toggle instead of a temporary skill. That's the primary thing we all use tac team for ;-)

Having customizable blob trays would be awesome!