test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The New Romulan Missions Make No Sense

d3cubedd3cubed Member Posts: 91 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Federation Discussion
The updated Romulan Mystery Arc, while much needed, falls far below it's potential, both in terms of storytelling and content. For example:

• No Hirogen Mission (Even the Klingons have one)
    • You meet the Elachi AND fight their armada in the same mission. So much for a build-up.
    • The Federation's alliance with the Romulan Republic is never explained, the players are merely assumed to know about it.
    • No appearance of the Obex in the Iconia system. I could handle it's removal from the Borg arc (it never really made sense there anyway; why would it help the player destroy cubes?), but it's appearance here was one of the defining moments of the original campaign.
    • No exploration into the relation of the Remans to the Romulans in the Empire. The only Remans you see and fight are those under Taris, who is no longer part of the Empire. They still appear as Enemy Signal contacts; why would that be if the only Remans with spaceships are those in Obisek's rebellion and Taris' guard?
    • Speaking of Obisek, why is it that Aranhu and Taris' other Reman bodyguards are the ones who seemingly end up in the Vault? Surely Obisek wasn't working for Taris--the one who destroyed Romulus and Remus. Obisek wanted only freedom for his people; how would working with Taris to repair Iconian tech help him? Especially when the Iconians are the ones driving the Tal Shiar to attack the Remans in the first place!
    • ONLY FOUR MISSIONS!!! :mad:

If there had been 7 missions instead, it would have been workable, and far preferable to the original 14. For example:
    1. Visit New Romulus. Become aquainted with D'Tan, and then go with Republic forces to stop a Tal Shiar raid against Romulan civilians. Notice an Elachi ship before the end of the mission.
    2. Sela tries to get revenge on Vulcan. That mission was actually good. However, add Reman ships to the invading force.
    3. The original Hirogen mission, where they trap you and you have to fight your way out.
    4. Discover Romulans working with Borg Tech. Put a stop to it. Notice another Elachi ship at the Tal Shiar base.
    5. Find out more about the Elachi. Fight them and the Tal Shiar, with Republic forces coming to your aid at the end.
    6. The new Taris mission, but without the Remans escaping to the Vault.
    7. Assist Captain Shon and some Romulan Republic Captain (maybe Mivek) in recruiting a Romulan colony world to the Republic, before being attacked by Star Empire forces (again, supplemented by Remans--they are still part of the Empire at this point). THEN get called to protect Mol'Rihan from the Elachi.

What do you guys think?
    I support Handsome Phaser Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Post edited by d3cubed on

Comments

• Options
      kitsunesnoutkitsunesnout Member Posts: 1,210 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      I was slightly disappointed the Obex was removed as well from not only the Iconia mission, but the Borg one as well. But I suppose there could be good reasons for that which hopefully will become clear with season 10 and it's missions.
    • Options
      xandercorvusxandercorvus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      d3cubed wrote: »
      If there had been 7 missions instead, it would have been workable, and far preferable to the original 14. For example:
      1. Visit New Romulus. Become aquainted with D'Tan, and then go with Republic forces to stop a Tal Shiar raid against Romulan civilians. Notice an Elachi ship before the end of the mission.
      2. Sela tries to get revenge on Vulcan. That mission was actually good. However, add Reman ships to the invading force.
      3. The original Hirogen mission, where they trap you and you have to fight your way out.
      4. Discover Romulans working with Borg Tech. Put a stop to it. Notice another Elachi ship at the Tal Shiar base.
      5. Find out more about the Elachi. Fight them and the Tal Shiar, with Republic forces coming to your aid at the end.
      6. The new Taris mission, but without the Remans escaping to the Vault.
      7. Assist Captain Shon and some Romulan Republic Captain (maybe Mivek) in recruiting a Romulan colony world to the Republic, before being attacked by Star Empire forces (again, supplemented by Remans--they are still part of the Empire at this point). THEN get called to protect Mol'Rihan from the Elachi.

What do you guys think?

I'm an Early Access Lifetime Subscriber of over 4 years & two months...with 25 Alts., and ZERO inventory slots ANYWHERE...whom has played every single mission beyond to-death, in every faction & sub-faction...and I approve of this message.
      "Join Date: Jun 2012" Says Cryptic's "new" forum system. I've been here since a week before launch, but SOME stuff just didn't carry over through multiple system changes/updates. :rolleyes:
    • Options
      davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      I agree. In many ways, the old missions were far superior in terms of storytelling when compared to the "revamped" Romulan missions. I really wish they had updated the missions like they did with "Diplomatic Orders", "Doomsday Device", and some of the Borg Arc Missions. Add and supplement rather than outright replace.

In particular, I fail to see how Federation players visiting Virinant actually advanced the story. If it was to tie into the Romulan story arc, it could have been written that the player was sent as back-up the R.R.W. Hyperion and her crew (The Romulan players in "Memory Lane").

Assaulting and liberating Gasko Station really doesn't make sense when it was suppose to be liberated by the Romulan Player ins "Gasko Blues". They should have simply stayed with Sh'aren(sic) Station from "Sh'arren's Swords".

I really wish they would restore the old missions and consider clipping parts of the new missions and port them into the older missions.
    • Options
      nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      i have to admit they do just throw the whole republic alliance in there.

T'nae: "our friends in the Romulan Republic"

Player: the what?

T'nae: "The Romulan Republic they will help you out"

Player: Admiral ive never seen or herd of this republic who are they?

T'nae: never mind that, just go out on shoot romulans

Player: who, this republic?

T'nae: No there our friends

Player: Since when?

T'nae: "haven't you been to their planet by now?"

Player: Ive been fighting Klingons, now u want me to fight in a cival war?

T'nae: "yes but the Romulan Republic needs our help"

Player: THE PRIME DIRECTIVE ADMIRAL?

T'nae: Forget that and just go help

Player: WHO PUT YOU IN CHARGE?
      0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    • Options
      adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      I don't know actually, the way it's done shows that the universe does do things without the player, makes things more realistic. The feds don't get involved with the Hirogen anymore but that's fine, that was more irritating than story telling and with what they did in DR, again, that's fine.
      ZiOfChe.png?1
    • Options
      dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      Retcons TRIBBLE up the "known timeline" yet again...

Rommie "tutorial" - Virinat, founding of Mol'Rihan, and "Founding of the Republic conference" all take place a decade or two before "STO Proper".

So all the Feddie and Klink Cadeptins have "now" grown up with the Republic as a part of their daily lives, not as some "freshly minted thing"... :P

Then with the "player centric" theme of the campaigns, it's not "Rommie Impressed Civilian Captain blank'tru" that saves the Republic from the Elachi, etc., it's the Player, whatever faction said playa hails from...

The "revamped" Rommie arc is meant to reflect this. However, it begins to cast serious doubt on the ability to imprison anyone in the 25th century - I mean we "imprison" Taris in 2409 and she's breaking out during 4028, Sela's gone and broken out twice, etc. etc.
      Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
    • Options
      royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      T'nae: "yes but the Romulan Republic needs our help"

Player: THE PRIME DIRECTIVE ADMIRAL?

T'nae: Forget that and just go help
      OK, this brings up something that has been bugging me for a *long* time.

Here is the original Prime Directive, as explicitly spelled out in the original series episode "Bread and Circuses":

"No identification of self or mission. No interference with the social development of said planet. No references to space or the fact that there are other worlds or civilizations."

Read that statement in its entirety. It is designed to prevent a spacefaring society (i.e., the Federation) from influencing societies that haven't progressed enough to deal with interplanetary relations. Consequences of violating that directive were explored in several episodes.

The Prime Directive does not apply to other spacefaring peoples. It has nothing whatsoever to do with any relations with the Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians, etc.

There are other UFP regulations that would impact relations with spacefaring societies - literally hundreds by now I am sure. But the Prime Directive does not apply.

I'm well aware that some later Trek episodes (I seem to recall a couple of TNG ones) that implied that the Prime Directive prevented the UFP from interfering with, for instance, Romulan independence movements. While I am certain there are regulations that forbid it, it is not a violation of the Prime Directive.

This is the sort of thing that happens when you have lazy episode writers that don't know the lore well enough.

OK, rant over.
      "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
      --Red Annorax
    • Options
      nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      Here is the original Prime Directive, as explicitly spelled out in the original series episode "Bread and Circuses":
      A complicated order, the Prime Directive had 47 sub-orders by the latter part of the 24th century.

Taking actions which support one faction within a society over another (TOS: "The Omega Glory"; TNG: "Too Short a Season")
      your information is out of date

I wouldn't call them lazy our own real life laws are amended to include more things over time, its only natural that the prime directive may be amended over time.
      0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
    • Options
      matth431matth431 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      The revised missions also TRIBBLE up the dialogue for Ja'rod in the Tribble mission in the DS9 arc... He makes constant references to having battled you before, but those events took place in the Saturday's Child mission... Which no longer exists.