test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Robotech Building A Sci-Fi Franchise At Sony, Get The Details

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
Well looks like Sony is going all in with this brand, I just hope they get it right.

Robotech can be an epic movie, if they do it justice, and do it right.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/sony-plotting-new-robotech-franchise-784543
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So.. Macross and Robotech will be competitiors?
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    k20vtec wrote: »
    So.. Macross and Robotech will be competitiors?

I doubt it. As far as Harmony Gold is concerned, there is no "Macross", just Robotech. Unless you want to pay a them a unfeasible amount of money so they don't sue you...

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    haven't Harmony Gold gone bankrupt yet?

No? darn...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015

No? darn...

Here! Here!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Huh... I actually watched a few episodes of Robotech...

Would be interesting to see where this goes.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    edited March 2015

No? darn...

No, they're like Voyager Entertainment is with Space Battleship Yamato - anything that they manage to do in the U.S. will be rebranded 'Star Blazers' in some way - and they get enough interest that it keeps them afloat .:eek:

Thus anything that Harmony Gold manages to do with a Macross property in the U.S. will always be 'Robotech'; and they will keep a stranglehold on the U.S. market; and keep plugging along.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Technically Macross and Robotech are two seperate realities, as Macross only covered the events surrounding the SDF-1 and that was it. Then a new show covered different events, and so on, and I don't think they were supposed to be related to each other.

When it came over as Robotech, they were actually MADE into related stories for the American audience. So Macross became Robotech: The Macross Saga, then we had the next part which had the Robotech Masters, then the Invid...

Please note my info is based on a little research on a wiki and not actually watching the show.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    malkarrismalkarris Member Posts: 797 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh well, here goes my anime nerd.

Also, i don't really like Harmony Gold, so this might b slightly biased.

For those who don't know, Macross was an anime that came out in Japan in 1982 and was one or the first "real-robot" mecha shows, along with Gundam. It went on the spawn a number of sequels in Japan, all of which have the elements of Music, Love Triangles, and Planes That Transform into Robots. Its also one of the starts of the Itano Circus or Macross Missile Mayhem, where a pilot fires off a ton of missiles that all spiral off and blow something up in a way we wish torpedo spread did.

Now, back in the 1982s, the guys at Harmony Gold saw how popular Macross was, and decided to license it for the US. However, as the story goes, Macross, like most anime, was only about 30 episodes long, while US cartoons were slated for something like 60. To fill in the gaps, Harmony Gold bought the rights to two other completely separate anime that were mostly unrelated to Macross, except they also had things that transformed into robots. They also TRIBBLE a lot of the story of the three separate anime apart to make it all fit, which leads to some places where things don't quite make sense. Also some story elements are changed. For instance, in Macross, Protoculture is was that, first culture, and refers to the power of culture, or usually in Macross, song, to change people (sometimes in that particular dramatic anime way). On the other hand, in Robotech, Protoculture is the alien fuel that runs all the fantastic technology. Which leads to a, in my opinion, confusing scene where the aliens have captured our heros, see the young hero and one half of the love triangle kiss, and call it protoculture. Makes sense in Macross, since they are talking about feelings and emotions that their race didn't experience. Makes less sense in Robotech, because what does kissing have to do with fuel?

Anyway, the people who sold Macross to Harmony Gold, also as the story goes, really didn't like what happened to their anime, while Harmony Gold maintains that anything Macross is really Robotech and therefore theirs. Which is why you don't see anything Macross in mainstream media in the US, unlike Gundam, for example.

So there, short history of the issue. And I pray that Sony doesn't mess it up any more.
    Joined September 2011
    Nouveau riche LTS member
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 747 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It doesn't seem like Shadow Chronicles will have much of a follow up.

Dang. I kind of liked where it was going.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm surprised Harmony Gold is still around. They still tried to peddle Robotech for the past few years but never really got much attention after the whole Toby McGuire thing. I guess they got another break.

As a fan of Macross and Battletech, I care very little for HG.
  • Options
    tymerstotymersto Member Posts: 433 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For those who don't quite understand about all the HG hate, let's take it from a different angle. Look at the history of some of the Unseen 'Mechs from Battletech.

Now, while I kinda remembered the use of Macross units into BTech at the time I got interested ('87-'88), it didn't register that HG would be so anal about it. Now how the whole "Unseen/Reseen" angle is a mess Tops/Catalyst is not gonna be willing to take on, which is a shame, personally.

:::end ramble:::

Thank you for the time...
    STO CBT Player - 400 day+ Vet, Currently Silver
    Cryptic, would you actulaly like me to spend actual Money? It's Simple:
    • Full, Story-driven, select from start 1-50 Klingon Side
    • Scrap current Lock Box & Lobi system for something more reasonable
    • Expand Dil and Rep/Fleet Marks to regular story content
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Yea... I remember the Warhammer IIC and Marauder IIC from Mechwarrior 2, along with the design for the Rifleman. I still don't know where the Clan Rifleman IIC sits as it was different enough of a design to not be confused with the Inner Sphere variant while still related. The Marauder and Warhammer... yea... that was a mess. I liked how the Marauder looked. Now... its a big, chunky thing that looks like the classic blew up like a balloon, and doesn't even remotely look like it evolved from the classic. I THINK the "Reseen" Warhammer might have fared better than the Marauder...

I used to not like Robotech for that, and having the RDF symbol as a custom decal on MechWarrior 4 Mercenaries, and slapping it on the side of a Mad Cat, was kinda my one finger salute. But after watching some episodes of Robotech... Not so much anymore. Then again... Giant Walking War Machines of Death. :D
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hrmmm, I would have linked...

http://www.robotech.com/

...which linked...

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/robotech-movie-sony-tv-series-anime-1201460191/

...rather than er, yeah.