What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Player LC Submission Ideas - Discussion Thread

Comments

• Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I really like that boff origin stories prompt. Probably use either Sarsachen tr'Sauringar or Sahuel t'Khnialmnae from the Aen'rhien or Meromi Riyal from the HoSbatlh, since most of Eleya's crew are pretty standard Starfleet officer backstories.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    "Origins of Boffs":

Give your bridge officers a day in the sun.
    Ooh, I've written a few of these: Barrister, K'Jetsk, Sway (before I rolled him as a captain himself) and Lew McLain's former security chief Krispen

There's a bunch more who've had their backstories told in our major stories. B.C. Hawkes and Spitz-Reader shared theirs in "Faces in the Flames." Marq in "Visiting with the Dead." Hacksaw Miller had his in "Sins of the Fathers." Georgia, Yumi, Cal and Jason Carter in "The Road to Ruin." Marlta Bain (Sway's security chief) shared hers in "Let Hope Burn" - that gift fic I wrote for Worffie's birthday. Rusty's story is scattered throughout. (He's really more of a major character than many of my "Captains" - right up there with Jesu, Ssharki and Sway.)

There's a few more I'd like to share still. Maddox, now that I've figured him out, and Dou'gal too. Some of Harding's BOffs have good stories - like how Scion got built or why Mars can't talk. I want to do something with the Old Days of McLain's crew, showing Nanz Downig and Dave Huntington serving under him on the Ark Royal. I'll have to do H'mL'n's full backstory at some point (I know MDK would love to see that.) And even though I've hinted at it plenty, I want to tell the full story of how Sticks and Raastz and a bunch of other Gorn wound up with Jesu.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    For me, it'd have to be Zel.

There are few better ways to become the most wanted gender indeterminate in the Breen Confederacy than grabbing a briefcase full of latinum (not even the heavier gold-pressed version, either), leaping out a window, flipping off the most well-connected crime boss in the Breen Confederacy falling two stories to land in an aircar with plates that say "KOL SUX", and getting away.

After that, D'trel's crew is positively mundane.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Got a great line for "Infection" from Warragul. "Damn it, Cap'n, I'm a trauma surgeon, not a bloody pathologist!"
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited December 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    "Old Flame"

They say love and hate are two sides of the same coin. Once upon a time, your character was deeply in love with another, but it ended. Now, years later, your latest mission brings you and your ex back into contact. The rest is up to you.

"Vengeance Is Mine"

Revenge for past wrongs, among the oldest motives in fiction. Was it for the death of a loved one? A betrayal against you? Hobus? Did they follow through, or pull back from the brink? Spin a yarn about the culmination of a quest for revenge.

Well, I can't really do the first with D'trel except posthumously, and the second with her might violate TOS, so not really an option.

Besides, D'trel's primary motivation is revenge. If I write the culmination of that revenge, it'd really be the end of her story, since she just wouldn't be quite as interesting without the overriding desire to see everything tangentially related to Hakeev burn to the ground. And tbh I wouldn't know what to do with her once her revenge was completed and she was back to psychologically-normal (or an approximation of such).

I could try with one of my other characters, but...nobody's really had a bad breakup, and nobody but D'trel and Rachel have revenge motivations, and I'm saving up Rachel's Payback Time for a special occasion.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The list idea originates in Skippy's List, as best I can tell. I also follow (and have sometimes contributed to) the list of Things I Am No Longer Allowed To Do In an RPG (link is to the third such list - it started as "2000 Things", and we've filled it up twice already).

So yeah, if this one gets picked I can probably fill one out pretty quick... :D
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Well, I can't really do the first with D'trel except posthumously, and the second with her might violate TOS, so not really an option.

Besides, D'trel's primary motivation is revenge. If I write the culmination of that revenge, it'd really be the end of her story, since she just wouldn't be quite as interesting without the overriding desire to see everything tangentially related to Hakeev burn to the ground. And tbh I wouldn't know what to do with her once her revenge was completed and she was back to psychologically-normal (or an approximation of such).

I could try with one of my other characters, but...nobody's really had a bad breakup, and nobody but D'trel and Rachel have revenge motivations, and I'm saving up Rachel's Payback Time for a special occasion.
    Fair enough. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing for "Old Flame". Eleya's Academy boyfriend Jerrod Dalton is a canon immigrant from the Foundry mission "The Interwarp Experiment", and one of the few things that irritated me about that mission was there was no opportunity to play the woman scorned and punch his lights out, or b*tch him out for leaving you.
    jonsills wrote: »
    The list idea originates in Skippy's List, as best I can tell. I also follow (and have sometimes contributed to) the list of Things I Am No Longer Allowed To Do In an RPG (link is to the third such list - it started as "2000 Things", and we've filled it up twice already).

When takeshi messaged me about it I had this crazy idea to merge it with the "Lower Decks" prompt and make it a direct sequel to "Shakedown Shenanigans".
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Fair enough. I have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing for "Old Flame". Eleya's Academy boyfriend Jerrod Dalton is a canon immigrant from the Foundry mission "The Interwarp Experiment", and one of the few things that irritated me about that mission was there was no opportunity to play the woman scorned and punch his lights out, or b*tch him out for leaving you.
    LOL, I played that mission with my Ferengi dude and picked all the romance options. It was a ton of fun, very nicely done mission, too.
    When takeshi messaged me about it I had this crazy idea to merge it with the "Lower Decks" prompt and make it a direct sequel to "Shakedown Shenanigans".

Random rule from the USS George Takei: "Do not read the Captain's copy of the Ferengi Sutra. No, really."

Rule #1 on ch'M'R Kholhr, posted just about everywhere D'trel isn't likely to find it and repeatedly told to every single new crewman: "Do not, under any circumstances, for any reason at all, endorse or express Tal'Shiar sympathies within D'trel's hearing. No, not even as a joke. If you fail to comply with this directive, D'trel will kill you and her therapist will kick your corpse for f*cking up the work he's done on her head."
  • Options
    takeshi6takeshi6 Member Posts: 752 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    jonsills wrote: »

Not directly based on it, but in the same vein - my actual inspiration was the Stargate SG-1 Fanfic "Things SG Teams are No Longer Allowed to Do", which was based on Skippy's list, according to the author.

So, if you want to be technical, my idea could be considered a 'grandchild' to Skippy's List. :D
    76561198160276582.png
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sander233 wrote: »
    Ooh, I've written a few of these: Barrister, K'Jetsk, Sway (before I rolled him as a captain himself) and Lew McLain's former security chief Krispen

There's a bunch more who've had their backstories told in our major stories. B.C. Hawkes and Spitz-Reader shared theirs in "Faces in the Flames." Marq in "Visiting with the Dead." Hacksaw Miller had his in "Sins of the Fathers." Georgia, Yumi, Cal and Jason Carter in "The Road to Ruin." Marlta Bain (Sway's security chief) shared hers in "Let Hope Burn" - that gift fic I wrote for Worffie's birthday. Rusty's story is scattered throughout. (He's really more of a major character than many of my "Captains" - right up there with Jesu, Ssharki and Sway.)

There's a few more I'd like to share still. Maddox, now that I've figured him out, and Dou'gal too. Some of Harding's BOffs have good stories - like how Scion got built or why Mars can't talk. I want to do something with the Old Days of McLain's crew, showing Nanz Downig and Dave Huntington serving under him on the Ark Royal. I'll have to do H'mL'n's full backstory at some point (I know MDK would love to see that.) And even though I've hinted at it plenty, I want to tell the full story of how Sticks and Raastz and a bunch of other Gorn wound up with Jesu.
    I definitely want to see that at some point :cool:
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    starswordc wrote:
    "Old Flame"

They say love and hate are two sides of the same coin. Once upon a time, your character was deeply in love with another, but it ended. Now, years later, your latest mission brings you and your ex back into contact. The rest is up to you.

As a little 'teaser trailer', patrickngo and I are working on a piece where this issue will actually (very loosely) be addressed by one of the characters who will be introduced during the piece :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    "Apparitions"

Your captain, or one of your officers, is starting to see things. What it is that they see could vary-- it could be a long-dead crewmate, walking around and talking as though still alive. It could be strange, alien figures crossing the halls. It could be ghastly apparitions, crawling between doorways. As much as your captain insists at the existence of these apparitions, no one else can see them. Already, many of your captain's officers are starting to whisper to one another that their commander may be mentally ill. Write about what happens to your captain-- is his/her mind actually playing tricks on them, or are the apparitions real?
    Not entirely certain what to do with this one. It's possible I could use Brokosh and have it be an effect of his psi (i.e. they are real, and he can detect them because he's a telepath).
    "In Session"

The weight of command carries a heavy burden on the soul-- men and women have died under your command, and every order you make affects the lives and safety of all who serve under you. Given the numerous threats to known space, almost every officer serving in the Federation/KDF/Republic has been exposed to the horrors of war in one way or another. Your captain has been scheduled for a session with your ship's counselor. What do your captain and counselor talk about?
    This could be interesting with Eleya's PTSD issues. Haven't touched on those in a while.
    "Aftermath"

It's been a while. Whether a five-year mission or an apocalyptic battle/war/other conflict, your crew just finished it successfully. Your ship is recalled to your faction's capital to be refit, repaired, and otherwise kept up, and your crew is being split up for well-earned leave with their families.

How do you handle it? Peeling potatoes in a Cajun restaurant in New Orleans? Fighting your jerk brother in a vineyard in France? Spending time with your significant other? 118,000,000 rounds of Call of Duty 215?

Inspired by the TNG episode "Family". Be daring.

Well, hell, I practically already wrote that one as chapter 1 of The Wrong Reflection.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    antonine3258antonine3258 Member Posts: 2,391 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The latest batches look pretty interesting for future. I do like War Correspondent, if only for an idealism clash. (Or, for a different idealism clash, Klingons sending a loremaster along with a KDF captain)
    Fate - protects fools, small children, and ships named Enterprise Will Riker

Member Access Denied Armada!

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Four days without a bump? UNACCEPTABLE!

"Analyze This"

"On every starship, there is one person who is very important to the entire crew. One person to solve some of the most difficult problems the ship can come across in it's journeys. One person who knows more secrets than Section 31, who helps more people than an Emergency Medical Hologram, who can calm even the most curmudgeonly of Klingon officers. That person is the Ship Counselor, and right now, your Captain is due for their regular session. Write a ship's counselor log about one of their sessions with the captain. Is the captain undergoing any stress or trying to overcome a certain phobia? Perhaps the captain has a certain therapy technique they and the counselor engage in. Write out a log about the therapy and any progress the captain has made."

^March 25th, 2014

"In Session"

The weight of command carries a heavy burden on the soul-- men and women have died under your command, and every order you make affects the lives and safety of all who serve under you. Given the numerous threats to known space, almost every officer serving in the Federation/KDF/Republic has been exposed to the horrors of war in one way or another. Your captain has been scheduled for a session with your ship's counselor. What do your captain and counselor talk about?

^February 17th, 2015

It's all cylindricaaaaaaal. :eek:
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ^March 25th, 2014

^February 17th, 2015

It's all cylindricaaaaaaal. :eek:

:eek:
    Er...um...oops?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    "In Session"

This could actually make a nice filling scene for Academy Daze... Thanks for the inspiration :cool:
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Er...um...oops?

I wouldn't worry about it. It happens - it's been described that there are perhaps only seven core plots, and psychological insight is one of those things that the literary form handles really well.

My forum single-issue of rage: Make the Proton Experimental Weapon go for subsystem targetting!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I wouldn't worry about it. It happens - it's been described that there are perhaps only seven core plots, and psychological insight is one of those things that the literary form handles really well.

My ENG 104 prof reduced it to two: "We go on a trip" and "Somebody comes to us". And hell, I've done it, too: my prompt "Assuming Command" turned out after the fact to be a redux of Literary Challenge #2.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited March 2015
    "Happy Birthday!"

A member of your crew is another year older, and another year wiser, one hopes. Write a story or log entry detailing their birthday or lifeday celebration. Do Bajorans have birthday cake? Do Caitians blow out candles? Do Remans rip open wrapping paper? Do Gorn do something completely different?

Oh god, the story I could do with this and Doc Kohaal.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    frontierplanetsfrontierplanets Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "The Arrival"

They are finally here. For decades, the Iconians have been quietly manipulating events in the Alpha Quadrant from their seclusion, subverting and weakening the galaxy. It was by their machinations that the Undine launched their war against solid-space, through which they pitted the Federation against the Klingons in a mutually destructive conflict. It was their servants who triggered the Hobus Detonaton that saw the virtual collapse of the Romulan Star Empire, and the subsequent abduction of Romulan colonies. And it was their recent influence that saw the resurgence of the Vaadwaur Supremacy in a conflict that set the Delta Quadrant ablaze.

And now, they believe the time is ripe for their invasion. Hidden gateways now tear open, and massive, ancient warships and warrior-constructs enter our galaxy as the Heralds of the Iconians make their presence known. Against them, the Federation, Klingons, Romulans and their allies stand united.

Write about where your captain is, and what he/she is doing when the Herald invasion begins.

This...

sounds...

EPIC!!!

On a side note, this somewhat reminds me of the tagline for Dragon Age: Inquisition;
    Lead them or fall
    For best results, read my posts in the voice of Sheogorath, Daedric Prince of Madness.

*busts down your door while wearing a Starfleet uniform*
    Time to boldy go, losers.
    #this is how you SHOULD collect your crew from shore leave
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Vangarian - interesting entry idea - sounds like could be round of 'spot the Section 31' or maybe an agent on the verge of cracking from lack of identity.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    My first post here! Yay...

"The 20th Century"
    Through one contrived circumstance or another, your ship and crew find themselves having traveled back in time to Earth's 20th century, because these are the sorts of things that happen to starships even if they're in the Delta quadrant. By hook or by crook, the ship and crew must do whatever needs to be done in the 20th century and return to their own time without causing any disruptions. Submitter's choice as to whether to go for a dark and serious approach a la "City on the Edge or Forever," or a more comedic approach a la Star Trek IV: the Voyage Home. Bonus points if the submitter's characters are Romulans or Klingons and so therefore hilariously out of their element.

Will your intrepid crew have to survive the trenches of World War I? Avoid the gangers of the Depression? Fight against the Japanese in World War II? Avoid the Red Scare? Prevent someone from changing the course of the Vietnam War? Get trapped fighting in the Eugenics Wars? Or perhaps even meet the cast and crew of that pop-culture sci-fi phenomenon Galaxy Quest? The choices are yours, and yours alone!

Actually, due to the start of the Eugenics Wars in the 90's, Tim Allen never did Galaxy Quest. Allen Rickmen turned out to be an artificial human designed to be the perfect British actor. The project was scrapped pending a full investigation on whether or not Tony Shalhoub was a human/sloth hybrid based on his acting (Cleared of all charges). Tim Allen opted to do another Disney Christmas film called Forgetting Christmas. It's the usual Disney Holiday film formula. Tim's a workaholic absent father, through a crazy circumstance he forgets Christmas, Bonnie Hunt plays his wife and the little girl from the Missy Elliot videos plays his precocious daughter who helps him recover his memory and find the true meaning of Christmas. And like all of his other Holiday films, it's kinda terrible so you only watch it when Santa Claus Is Coming to Town isn't on ABC Family.

*throws DVD over the shoulder*

I say our universe dodged a bullet there.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    proteusrexproteusrex Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    @rambowdoubledash I like it. I don't have an idea at the moment, but I can feel the gears churning...

Avoid the gangers of the Depression?

I know it's probably a typo, but when I read this my mind immediately jumped to Dr. Who.

Not sure how they got there, but if there are a group of them hanging around the 30s, someone should do something about it.
  • Options
    rambowdoubledashrambowdoubledash Member Posts: 298 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Actually, due to the start of the Eugenics Wars in the 90's, Tim Allen never did Galaxy Quest. Allen Rickmen turned out to be an artificial human designed to be the perfect British actor. The project was scrapped pending a full investigation on whether or not Tony Shalhoub was a human/sloth hybrid based on his acting (Cleared of all charges).

Ha!

No, actually what I was thinking here was that in the Star Trek universe, Galaxy Quest as a TV show in the late 70s/early 80s was an actual thing and takes the place culturally of, well, Star Trek. The Galaxy Quest movie, then, isn't about actors playing actors playing space heroes, but rather just about actors playing space heroes.

So in-universe there's no Tim Allen but there is a Jason Nesmith, who starred as himself in the Galaxy Quest movie. There are no Thermians.
    proteusrex wrote:
    I like it. I don't have an idea at the moment, but I can feel the gears churning...

In fact I'm already working on a story set in 1979 and am waiting for PWE to give me the ability to post my own threads to start posting it here. It's multi-chapter, and so probably too long for an LC, but I'm enjoying writing it. First time I'm writing a Trek fic, too. I've written Animorphs, Digimon, Dungeons & Dragons, Love Hina, Pokemon, Star Wars, Vampire: the Masquerade, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (still rather extensively involved in that one)...it was time.

Story is entitled Time & Tide & Omega and has a fairly simple premise: which takes priority - the Omega Directive, or the Temporal Prime Directive? Because it turns out Starfleet never actually clarified that point.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Ha!

No, actually what I was thinking here was that in the Star Trek universe, Galaxy Quest as a TV show in the late 70s/early 80s was an actual thing and takes the place culturally of, well, Star Trek. The Galaxy Quest movie, then, isn't about actors playing actors playing space heroes, but rather just about actors playing space heroes.

So in-universe there's no Tim Allen but there is a Jason Nesmith.

In fact I'm already working on a story set in 1979 and am waiting for PWE to give me the ability to post my own threads to start posting it here. It's multi-chapter, and so probably too long for an LC, but I'm enjoying writing it. First time I'm writing a Trek fic, too. I've written Animorphs, Digimon, Dungeons & Dragons, Love Hina, Pokemon, Star Wars, Vampire: the Masquerade, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (still rather extensively involved in that one)...it was time.
    Well, welcome aboard. I'm not a huge time travel fan outside Doctor Who (I think it got wat overused in late Trek and rarely makes sense), although I did send my KDF crew back to the 1850s not too long ago.
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well, A Favour prompt would certainly be the ultimate deus ex machina for getting the Viper crew home.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    "A Favor:"

Q was apparently running low on ships during his birthday, or maybe he's tapped your captain for something and it demands repayment. Q is offering a guaranteed, no-messing-with-you-literal-genie-style-I-swear chance to change a single detail of your captain or your bridge crew's history to anything else. Sure, it's probably a mistake and you should walk away, but... still.
    Temporal Prime Directive? What's that? :D
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
    edited March 2015

The spoilsport whining of people who don't have a godlike being's favor to cash in, I say! :P

• Options
    edited March 2015

The thing I wipe my butt with.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    aten66aten66 Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Ha!

So in-universe there's no Tim Allen but there is a Jason Nesmith, who starred as himself in the Galaxy Quest movie. There are no Thermians.
    [Snip}

{Snip]

Story is entitled Time & Tide & Omega and has a fairly simple premise: which takes priority - the Omega Directive, or the Temporal Prime Directive? Because it turns out Starfleet never actually clarified that point.

*Turns on Caps Lock*

OMIGOSH THAT"S YOU!

I LOVE THE STORY SO FAR!

*ENDS CAPS LOCK*

Seriously though, I love the ETH, we so need it on every ship. DTI needs to take lessons from you.

You have the coolest plot line in the works there, and your story is only one of two I like currently in the STO fanfic area.

Edit: And for the most recent additions to the LC section, oohhhh I'm so interested in the Q one, I can so see how to tie into a few earlier LC's/redux, and how the addition of the Heralds, the Sphere, and the Iconians fit into this, as well as the Delta Recruiting event and the impact of three new characters I'll be introducing will have.