test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Whatever Happened to the SFA Shuttlebay

sarek93sarek93 Member Posts: 274 Arc User
So in the new Fed tutorial, we get access to a pretty sweet shuttlebay in SFA with a little club, some shuttles, etc. Yet, it was never merged together with the current SFA, so it has remained part of one instance map in one mission. That asset was pretty cool, and I'd love to see it added to the current SFA map.

I won't pretend to know how difficult/complex it might be to hook that map to SFA, but it was a neat little map/zone. Maybe it could be added with a portal to it being a turbolift/door in the main SFA building with an "Enter Shuttlebay" button on it or something. Then you could get shuttles from their to other places like Fleet holdings or ESD.
"Insufficient facts always invite danger." - Spock
Post edited by sarek93 on

Comments

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited April 2014
    I talked to Taco on Tribble about this a little bit. It boils down to this: the new bits weren't added onto the social map, the one you see in the tutorial is a new copy of the map with the added areas. It would take some effort to install the tutorial version as the social map and that is not in the plans at this time. So, i would say it's not impossible, just don't expect it anytime soon.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    theuser2021theuser2021 Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    That's too bad, It would be a nice hang out area.
    However, an amazing new earth space dock is coming. I don't know if I'll ever leave that ;).
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd love to see the SFA shuttle platform added as a permanent thing to the Academy map.

We could then take a shuttle back to our ship (for those with McCoy-like phobia's :P) or even to the awesome new shuttlebay on the new ESD (and visa versa). :)
  • Options
    killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd love to see the SFA shuttle platform added as a permanent thing to the Academy map.

We could then take a shuttle back to our ship (for those with McCoy-like phobia's :P) or even to the awesome new shuttlebay on the new ESD (and visa versa). :)

That would be a really cool little feature: an alternate fast travel shuttle from ESD to SFA. Sadly, like the drydocks repairing ship injuries, I'll be surprised if I ever see it...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well, the artwork is in the game, but now that I think about it, I believe I've heard taco say something similar before while I was on Tribble. Hopefully at some point it will get added in. I wonder if it's possible to decouple the art from the tutorial map and attach it as a separate instance to SFA?
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited April 2014
    It's not that putting it into the normal SFA map is necessarily difficult, it's just time consuming. And it's time that is not on the current schedule.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    It's not that putting it into the normal SFA map is necessarily difficult, it's just time consuming. And it's time that is not on the current schedule.

Cryptic just needs to purchase a Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Its things like the little nice areas of the tutorial would expand and at least improve an older social zone, but revamping ESD for the fourth time in four years is more of a concern, which includes two major revamps now three.
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well to bad they won't do it, because when we could walk on the shuttle bay of ESD I was pretty amazed it was kind of fun walking around there !!

To bad they denied access to that area as well !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    grazyc2#7847 grazyc2 Member Posts: 1,988 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sometimes it feels like emptiness, you pay to have fun.
    I know it's free to play but if you want to mean something, hang out with the best you have to pay or grind the first half year to finally get what you want...

I mean this if you want as a group something special forget it if it's not on their time table, that's the problem with F2P !!!

Now if they did make it and they made it available into the C-Store men you should look how many people would actually buy the mod !!!

Hope you see my point !!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Coffee: the finest organic suspension ever devised. It's got me through the worst of the last three years. I beat the Borg with it."
  • Options
    mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Ahhh someday, someday.

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • Options
    neotrident12neotrident12 Member Posts: 287 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It really is a pitty, its the little touches that can make such a difference. For example the signs on the new ESD, its the detail that counts. Seeing shuttles fly into the SFA shuttlebay, being able to walk around it in the tutorial but not on the social zone it feels off.

Its like assets into the foundry and Origin style corridors for our ships, taking that extra time really can make a difference.

Personally I am of the opinion that the environment aspect of STO is by far the most important, gameplay has never been STOs strong point but the ability to explore and immerse into Star Trek lore is important.

Taco if you can persuade them to give you the time to make this change and corridors for our ships it really would go a long way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Cryptic just needs to purchase a Hyperbolic Time Chamber.

Is that the thing Batman and Robin used in the 60's TV show to instantly change costumes?
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    misterde3 wrote: »
    Is that the thing Batman and Robin used in the 60's TV show to instantly change costumes?

Dragon Ball Z where 1 year inside the chamber is equal to 1 day in the real world.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Well, looks like it's time for you to bust out this bad boy. Just make sure you get somewhere where you can go 88 mph. :P

Or perhaps this nice ship.
  • Options
    exa12exa12 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014

if thats the case, wouldn't it have made more sense to build the new bits straight onto the social map and then copy it to make the new tutorial? instead of copying it then building the new bits?

for spoiler text use #1b1c1f
  • Options
    tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    Its things like the little nice areas of the tutorial would expand and at least improve an older social zone, but revamping ESD for the fourth time in four years is more of a concern, which includes two major revamps now three.

The Tribble one is the 3rd revamp.
  • Options
    eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nope, we are on number 4.

1. Original ESD Revamp - included changing of the external visuals
    2. Next one ESD Revamp - massive re-organizing of the internal area
    3. Minor ESD Revamp - included the addition of numerous larger cartoonish graphics
    4. Another Large ESD Revamp - Tribble One
  • Options
    odstparker#7820 odstparker Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I have a feeling that, with the new ESD updates in Season 9, the travel from ESD to SFA will put us in the SFA shuttlebay instead of the middle of the courtyard.

We can now transport to SFA from both the shuttlebay of ESD and the normal transporters, so I assume that the shuttles will land us in SFA's shuttlebay.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yes. Time should be scheduled to create functional shuttlebays which are part of our social maps from the get go. No different than our having Transporter Rooms. After all, this is Star Trek Online.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,627 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Please hook up the SFA shuttlebay to the social map. :)
  • Options
    robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Necro thread.