test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Incident At Mol’Rihan Center

Comments

• shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    captaind3 wrote: »
    Shuttle- Can be shot down disabled, or the whole shuttle can be beamed up.
    An amusing example of the latter occurs in You Only Live Twice: a carful of mooks pursuing Bond have their entire vehicle picked up by a helicopter and dropped into the ocean... and yes, the scene has very fittingly-named music.
    Walking- Hirogen hunting party, elite imperial commando raid
    This would be an interesting basis for the type of scenario discussed here.
    That means we get Megatron. OG Megatron. I approve of this.
    Well, there's this bit from the novel 'Dark of the Moon' (reference)...
    When Wheelie realized that he had already seen the particular episode playing, he suggested a plotline he'd like to see: the Enterprise revealed as a Decepticon, with the nacelles becoming cannons.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Captain, we're sending you an emergency report we just received from Mol'Rihan. It's regarding the 'prisoner' Sela. There has been an incident that requires your attention.

Please exercise the utmost discretion regarding this incident.

~LaughingTrendy

Two thoughts:
    • Cryptic got the lawyer exactly right. A defense attorney is ethically required to provide their client with the best defense possible regardless of his/her personal feelings regarding the case.
    • This is why they don't let you have a cell phone in prison.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    Ahhh damn. That's really unfortunate. Ehh, I hope they just change the voice actor and not kill off the character. Good find on that though.

His voice is the best part about him, though. Just replacing Gabriel Wolf is really the same thing as killing off the character 'cause it just won't be the same.

And they turfed Lani Minelli too? Wtf? She does a near spot-on Majel Barret computer voice, guess there'll be no more new recordings of that either... fekkin' unions *grumble*
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Two thoughts:
    • Cryptic got the lawyer exactly right. A defense attorney is ethically required to provide their client with the best defense possible regardless of his/her personal feelings regarding the case.
    • This is why they don't let you have a cell phone in prison.

Yeah, the attorney's great. No problems with the attorney.

The rest of it? JFC, you don't give a device that can transmit a subspace signal to a prisoner like THAT who's going through non-jammed/dampened zones.

Critical security failure and gross incompetence by the Republic here. At least D'trel will have "fun" (or at least grim satisfaction) hunting down Sela, beating her into submission, and hauling her back in enough chains to drown a whale.
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In the Session 28 thread, I mentioned that turning off Read/Write permissions wouldn't do the trick. They should have switched off the Execute permission, like I suggested.

I'm VERY sorry to hear of Gabriel Wolf's and Lani Minelli's fate. As a V/O actor myself, I truly sympathize!

As for Gaius himself, a couple of possibilities spring to mind:

1) For all we know, it might be a common Romulan name. Every Tal, **** and Harry might be named Gaius. So it could be Gaius Smithicus she was calling.

More seriously (and paranoid):

2) Look at Gaius last name. Selan. SELAn. See the connection? Possibly her son?

More seriously yet (and still more paranoid):

3) He's a Liberated Borg. And former Tal Shiar agent. What if he WASN'T assimilated accidentally? What if he was assimilated deliberately in Sela's "playroom" during "Mind Games"?
    What if the Player Character (while being coerced in that episode) is the one who actually assimilated him? Since we were being mind controlled at the time, we aren't morally responsible for this current kerfuffle, but we are technically a party to causing it. She escaped because of us - sort of.
    Setting Plasma to 'burn'
    Setting Plasma to "Slow Cook". VERRRRY Slow Cook.
    Well...that would basically mean you'd have to fly in a -Look, the Lleiset is a flagship. Look at the Enterprise, being the flagship inducts them into a LONG honored tradition of getting hijacked. NX-01, the Ferengi, almost the Orions, almost the Borg, didn't the Suliban get control one time? NCC-1701, Khan, Dr. Severin, the M-5 computer, Commodore Decker (just kidding). NCC-1701-A, Sybok. NCC-1701-D, the Ferengi, Data. NCC-1701-E was partially taken over by the Borg. Even non-flagships like Voyager, taken over by the damn KAZON! With a little help from a Cardassian. The Defiant was taken over by the Jem'Hadar and the Maquis. So the Lleiset being boarded by a super Vaadwaur who was able to solo their crew is a minor offense.

Also, NCC-1701-D by Bynar. ;);)
    arkan316 wrote: »
    This. I actually worked as jailer until a few weeks ago. An inmate would never be given a device like a PADD to begin with, would not take anything to court with them and their defense attorney certainly would not be the one making decisions about what the inmate does, goes or takes with them.

And you were (presumably) a human jailer, not a Romulan. :D You'd expect Romulan jails to have even MORE restrictions, and less concern about prisoner rights. Not to mention the fact that she's a despotic war criminal, not a street thug, so security would probably have been a smidge tighter.

Finally, speaking as a loyal Imperial Romulan naval officer, I'd HATE to see Sela back in the Empire. We are far better off without the incompetent half-human.

Liberate Donatra! Donatra Imperatrix!

[EDIT: typo]
  • sch3ff3lsch3ff3l Member Posts: 118 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Well...that would basically mean you'd have to fly in a Federation Lawyer with no experience with the Romulan People.

Loyalists aside presumably the vast majority of Republic citizens would hate her guts.

Unless they were loyal to House Duras, most Klingons would hate her guts.

But I liked her lawyer. He didn't have to believe in his clients innocence, he had something much more important. He believed in the system and the ideals of the system.

-You can't always defuse situations with your allies when you're in under deep cover.

-Legitimately they were sabotaged in Sphere of Influence...that said you couldn't have paid me to voluntarily open that thing. Dismantle it and copy the tech.

-I have no idea what Tiaru and Koren were thinking.

-Look, the Lleiset is a flagship. Look at the Enterprise, being the flagship inducts them into a LONG honored tradition of getting hijacked. NX-01, the Ferengi, almost the Orions, almost the Borg, didn't the Suliban get control one time? NCC-1701, Khan, Dr. Severin, the M-5 computer, Commodore Decker (just kidding). NCC-1701-A, Sybok. NCC-1701-D, the Ferengi, Data. NCC-1701-E was partially taken over by the Borg. Even non-flagships like Voyager, taken over by the damn KAZON! With a little help from a Cardassian. The Defiant was taken over by the Jem'Hadar and the Maquis. So the Lleiset being boarded by a super Vaadwaur who was able to solo their crew is a minor offense.

-Never should've given her the PADD. Clearly they had the right idea in the beginning.

A decidedly one sided conversation I hope. Unless he's working an angle...he'd better explain quickly, like he does in Scenario 4201 BO.

You're welcome. TNG is a well spring of good foundation and set up. :D

You could do it with the current system, just take the intel style mission in the Vaadwaur base a more freeform kind of mission where Tuvok isn't hand holding you through it.

this shameful display would never happen in the mighty Negh'var nor Bortas'qu (A.K.A. flagships of the klingon empire) KLINGONS FTW!!!!!
    9gagger, starfleet captain, bug hunter...

spocked thumb face...
  • millybunmillybun Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    After googling 'Gaius Selan' I came across this message of Selan's voice actor Gabriel Wolf https://www.facebook.com/GabrielWolfVO/posts/771946492874737

I just hope they won't kill off Selan in the new episode :(

ssargon wrote: »
    His voice is the best part about him, though. Just replacing Gabriel Wolf is really the same thing as killing off the character 'cause it just won't be the same.

And they turfed Lani Minelli too? Wtf? She does a near spot-on Majel Barret computer voice, guess there'll be no more new recordings of that either... fekkin' unions *grumble*

So adding to the chorus, this does suck in a big way. -_-

While I felt Lani Mineli's voice was overused at times, the voices I do like her for work really well, and I love Gabriel Wolf's Gaius!

Who knows who else is affected by this? We've had some voice work in STO I've actually enjoyed...

Who do we need to complain to to get this whole silly situation fixed? These are recurring voices for recurring characters here!
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The plot thickens... :D
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Who is this "gaius" i keep hearing about is it something ive over looked in game?
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Who is this "gaius" i keep hearing about is it something ive over looked in game?

Ex-Tal'Shiar, ex-Borg officer on the Llieset. Intel chief, IIRC.

Some people think he's Sela's kid; I wouldn't know, but clearly his background check was terribly done.
  • whitelion43whitelion43 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Told you I would only trust the Organians to handle her defense
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015

He's the officer you first run into when you're on the Lleiset in the Delta mission. So up to now, he's been one of Cmdr. Jarok's faithful.
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Next time ... Rura Penthe.

Cause no one ever escaped from Rura Penthe :P
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    He's the officer you first run into when you're on the Lleiset in the Delta mission. So up to now, he's been one of Cmdr. Jarok's faithful.

Looks to me as if Jarok let her freidnships get in the way of her better judgments and yet such an incompetent fool is allowed the lliset?

And who was responsible for his background check...d'tan?

Clearly to many incompetent fools are allowed within the republic thankfully there are still capabale officers within the republic to keep it alive.

Allowing sela to escape allowing her offspring aboard the republics flagship? in the old days someone or someones would answer for incompetence regarding this incident.
  • chipg7chipg7 Member Posts: 1,577 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Looks to me as if Jarok let her freidnships get in the way of her better judgments and yet such an incompetent fool is allowed the lliset?

And who was responsible for his background check...d'tan?

Hard to say. Problem #1 for the Republic going forward is that, unless a Romulan was born only a decade or two ago, basically every citizen of the Republic is former RSE.

Everyone has a 'connection' of some type to the RSE or Tal Shiar. So by that, unless there's a glaring mark on their record, it's hard to weed out the potential threats from the genuine converts to the Republic.
  • johnniemesojohnniemeso Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    haha predictable

again RR is really just another dictatorship like SE. locking person up without charge for 6 hours etc.

but they realy should have given her a book instead. whats wrong with a book?
    edited March 2015
    chipg7 wrote: »
    Hard to say. Problem #1 for the Republic going forward is that, unless a Romulan was born only a decade or two ago, basically every citizen of the Republic is former RSE.

Everyone has a 'connection' of some type to the RSE or Tal Shiar. So by that, unless there's a glaring mark on their record, it's hard to weed out the potential threats from the genuine converts to the Republic.

True but if there is even a reasonable suspicion that person should not be allowed aboard or even near the fleets flagship.

and jarok shouldve been more wary of her crew as a captain of a starship you must always be aware of your crew listen in to conversations and if something suspicious arises act dont let them act first.
  • finsches123finsches123 Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why could the traitor not be Tovan Khev?
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This stunt with the PADD is why any PADD given to a prisoner who is to be kept incommunicado should have its transmitter physically removed from the device beforehand. Software lockouts are insufficient, as people had pointed out in the earlier thread.
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Apparently, Sela is the Lex Luthor of Star Trek Universe.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • bassmas314bassmas314 Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hmm, it looks like the Lleiset's Intelligence Officer might have been a double agent. The Lleiset reported a shuttle missing, and Sela's last words before escaping were to someone named Gaius. Guess he wasn't as grateful to the Republic for saving him from the Borg as he would have had us believe...
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This stunt with the PADD is why any PADD given to a prisoner who is to be kept incommunicado should have its transmitter physically removed from the device beforehand. Software lockouts are insufficient, as people had pointed out in the earlier thread.
    Well put, sir. This practice is, as I understand it, referred to as creating an 'air gap'.
    Apparently, Sela is the Lex Luthor of Star Trek Universe.
    Now, all we need is some good art of her in a fine suit. For precedent, consider Miss Parker (image)...
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hmn... doesn't that Deferi on the Lliset share Gaius' VA, come to think of it? Wonder if they'll write him out too, or just recast him. Wouldn't miss that one; I find character annoying as Deferi tend to be.

Oh well, we'll always have Capture the Flag. Or we will until it gets hit by revamps.
  • lordfuzunlordfuzun Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    Quite possible. I like him, but I'll shoot him in the face if I have to.

The other thought that came to me is, what if Sela didn't actually escape? Maybe there was some need for her but the Republic couldn't risk outright using her due to the outrage it would cause. This could all be a setup and Gaius is just following orders. It would be very...Romulan.

That is my thinking precisely. There is more going on behind the scenes. I do believe that they Sela after much back channel negotiations. And the manor of here "liberation" was done to give plenty of plausible deniability to go around.

Edit: OK I read that bit about Gauis's Voice Actors. Dis regard everhting above. It's a damned shame. And it really pisses me off when when TRIBBLE liek that happends. This is unions at their worst.
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    free Sela!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Man that sucks, I really liked Selan. So it seems obvious that she escaped with Seken and Selan, now where's Sela going? B*tch is probably en-route to Rator under cloak right now, she will rally the Tal Shi- I'm sorry the RSE (so shut up colonelchenchaun) and then try to invade Republic space. No matter, the RSE is weak and fragmented, they're ships are over 30 years old and they will be no match for the Republic. Into Battle!

The funny thing is that all their names start with Se and two start with Sela lol. But why would Selan help Sela? Didn't Selan become Borg thanks to the Tal Shiar?
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    /facepalm

Should have sent her to The Rock.

Or maybe that hole where Bane put Bruce Wayne.

-shakes head-

Someone get me the Man with No Name on the phone. We need to get her back. Don't really care if it's dead or alive!

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
    edited March 2015
    free Sela!

She is free so shut up and change your sig already psycho
    Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
    Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    True but if there is even a reasonable suspicion that person should not be allowed aboard or even near the fleets flagship.

and jarok shouldve been more wary of her crew as a captain of a starship you must always be aware of your crew listen in to conversations and if something suspicious arises act dont let them act first.
    You apparently haven't met Jarok's chief medical officer who still wears her TNG era uniform and scoffs at Vaadwaur because she put up with worse from the Tal Shiar...
    Why could the traitor not be Tovan Khev?

^this.... this is such a beautiful dream
    edited March 2015
    /facepalm

Should have sent her to The Rock.

Or maybe that hole where Bane put Bruce Wayne.

-shakes head-

Someone get me the Man with No Name on the phone. We need to get her back. Don't really care if it's dead or alive!

I'll do it, R'Tath will end her after sticking a mind probe in her brain