Install Arc
Options

Delta Recruitment – Temporal Investigations

Comments

• Options
    section31agent#8506 section31agent Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    themarie wrote: »
    The more I look at this, the more I have to wonder.

Prior, they tried to inflate the server population by forcing everyone to reregister their account... I used to be accountblahblah but when I was forced to re-register the name was already "taken." So, I simply became accountblahblah dash A, like a certain starship. :) Lot of us saw it for what it was -- an attempt to double the game population to pad reports to make PWE think the game was more attractive.

I see Delta Recruits as more or less the same tactic. Numbers are down as people burn through content then go find something else to play. So, lets entice people to make alts for a quarter so we can report Good News to PWE.

Delta Grinding may have been the best expansion ever (and non-sarcastically I did enjoy it) but the attempts to force people to conform to metrics AGAIN despite previous backlash... really soured me.

Instead of enforcing play-time metrics, lets have something worth playing. Ultimately people have switched to "log in when there is an event" because there is no other content to play once you've maxed your main and alts.

What we need... instanced dungeons, random worlds, true exploration/exploitation and some kind of persistent world that we can interact with. All of the changes my toon has effected across the universe come to nothing when the world does not change. I can still fly across a sector and we are at war with the Klingon. Despite helping forge a treaty.

I don't see Delta Recruit as anything more than an attempt to pad reports and bring good news to the PWE offices after the post Delta Grinding crunch.

*shrug* We'll see.

I am so suprised they didn't ban you for telling the truth and close down the thread. But I second your opinion.
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The more I look at this, the more I have to wonder.

Prior, they tried to inflate the server population by forcing everyone to reregister their account... I used to be accountblahblah but when I was forced to re-register the name was already "taken." So, I simply became accountblahblah dash A, like a certain starship. :) Lot of us saw it for what it was -- an attempt to double the game population to pad reports to make PWE think the game was more attractive.

I see Delta Recruits as more or less the same tactic. Numbers are down as people burn through content then go find something else to play. So, lets entice people to make alts for a quarter so we can report Good News to PWE.

Delta Grinding may have been the best expansion ever (and non-sarcastically I did enjoy it) but the attempts to force people to conform to metrics AGAIN despite previous backlash... really soured me.

When the "accounts" were shifted from Cryptic-only to PWE, I had "no problem" shifting my Cryptic credentials to PWE.

All that happened to me is I lost my capital letter to start the name. Many of us were in the same boat.

Unless what you speak of was prior to F2P. And then, if you truly built a new account, did they link it to your old "regular" account or do you have your regular account and your "-A" one?
    Instead of enforcing play-time metrics, lets have something worth playing. Ultimately people have switched to "log in when there is an event" because there is no other content to play once you've maxed your main and alts.

What we need... instanced dungeons, random worlds, true exploration/exploitation and some kind of persistent world that we can interact with. All of the changes my toon has effected across the universe come to nothing when the world does not change. I can still fly across a sector and we are at war with the Klingon. Despite helping forge a treaty.

I don't see Delta Recruit as anything more than an attempt to pad reports and bring good news to the PWE offices after the post Delta Grinding crunch.

*shrug* We'll see.

Instanced dungeons / raids / STFs? Got those. Random worlds - eat up too much space and new players get lost :confused:. Exploration? Missions. Exploitation? KDF DOffing. Persistent world? How many actual MMOs have one of those?

But yeah, I agree with you on your last statement. Most MMOs don't have the opposing factions do the "peace treaty thing", so orc-hatred is always orc-hatred. Not like this "peace" stuff. They should add "branching texts" to many of the world interacts, so that those still at war get "war" interacts, peaceful coexisting high-end toons get the "peace" interacts.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    Um... how does one spend money on the torpedo? The only interaction I can see the Crystalline event having with cash is it increasing the supply of dilithium.

Here's how the conversation went in the Cryptic offices:

Dev 1: Let's give everyone a new funky torpedo!

Dev 2: Great idea, players will love that! We'll make it a Mark XIV Epic weapon! :D

Dev 3: Hrm. that's an...okay...idea. But I have a much better one. Let's make it MK XIII, that way players will need to spend Dilithium and upgrade items to improve it! They'll go nuts competing to max it out first, they'll buy Zen to convert into Dilithium and we'll make lots of money! Profit!!!

Dev 1: Huh. Well...I guess that's cool...sorta...

Dev 2: Oh hey, why don't we also make it just a RARE, instead of Epic or VR, that way we'll make even MORE moneeeehhhhh! It will be just the right balance of being cool yet not quite cool enough to get everyone to spend real cash on upgrading it. I have the metrics! It says here that MkXIII rares are the real sweet spot when it comes to goading players into sinking money into upgrading items!

Dev 1: Okay, I quit...

Dev 3: You can't quit, PWE owns your soul. You signed the same contract we all did...

Dev 1: D'oh!

True story XD
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It would be stunningly stupid if PWE would actually fall for something like that when they could just finger dance over to STO's website and see, oh they had an event where everyone got a free character slot to start a new character.
    sisteric wrote: »
    In order to claim these account-level rewards, you simply need to take your non-Delta character and visit the Temporal agent for that character’s faction. This NPC will have a Store on them that contains all the account-level rewards your alt characters can claim. They can claim any of the account-level rewards earned by the Delta Recruit on the same account. Each of your characters can claim the account level rewards once from the Temporal agent. These rewards include Marks, Equipment, Consoles, R&D Materials, and other items.

Based on the wording, I am unclear if this means the that I have to visit the Recruits faction Agent or the Claiming Character's Factional Agent.
    Can we get this clarified?

Because this means to mean I need only 1 new Recruit, or Three new Recruits, if I want all my toons to get the stuff.

The way I read it, once your Delta Recruit earns an account reward, all of your characters would simply go to their native Temporal Agent to get the reward.

So 1 new recruit for all the rewards.
    warpedcore wrote: »
    Why not go to the flotilla? No lag, all the functions of Romulus, minus Doffs. and it's never crowded :D
    I love the Flotilla. If it did have DOFFing it would be absolutely perfect.
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I see I'm not the only one who will, most likely, make a Delta Recruit but would like to have more options. This seems like the perfect time to introduce some new playable races for players.

Folks have been asking for Xindi and Suliban for ages.

Suliban? Suliban...Suliban...Suliban.

Mother of God. Suliban would be perfect. They're already heavily involved in the Temporal arcs anyway. They were at the center of the Temporal Cold War, even genetically modified towards that end. This would be the perfect time to add in Suliban.

Admittedly the Xindi and their old extra dimensional connections also make sense.

I wouldn't have minded if the Iconians were actually radically altered like the Solanae and became the Sphere Builders. Ahh, the path not taken.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    captaintpolcaptaintpol Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Where did you get that info?

from Trendy herself, via Arc Messenger "there will be more blogs out today, not sure how many we will put out*
    (STO)
    Matriarch of Banished Orion Girls. Neela D'tan
    @captaintpol (with many alts)
    May we sail and have fun always and forever. LLAP

(PC version NW)
    Arwen@captaintpol TR - Tully's of RiverRun
    Mai Kelly DC-Tully's of RiverRun
    Neela BumKisses HR-
    Arya Stark GF-
    Sansa Stark CW- Team Fencebane
    Crystal Marie OP-

(xbox version NW)
    Arwen@Admiral Jazdia TR- Team Fenebane
    Mai Kelly DC- " "
    Ahsoka Tano CW- " "
    Neela BumKisser HR- " "
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    casbyness wrote: »

Dev 2: Great idea, players will love that! We'll make it a Mark XIV Epic weapon! :D

Dev 3: Hrm. that's an...okay...idea. But I have a much better one. Let's make it MK XIII, that way players will need to spend Dilithium and upgrade items to improve it! They'll go nuts competing to max it out first, they'll buy Zen to convert into Dilithium and we'll make lots of money! Profit!!!

Dev 2: Oh hey, why don't we also make it just a RARE, instead of Epic or VR, that way we'll make even MORE moneeeehhhhh! It will be just the right balance of being cool yet not quite cool enough to get everyone to spend real cash on upgrading it. I have the metrics! It says here that MkXIII rares are the real sweet spot when it comes to goading players into sinking money into upgrading items!

Dev 3: You can't quit, PWE owns your soul. You signed the same contract we all did...

True story XD
    *applause*
    signature.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    from Trendy herself, via Arc Messenger "there will be more blogs out today, not sure how many we will put out*

Yeah I noticed the other blog... just more "Lore" for the upcoming grind... nothing to do with recruits :/
    signature.png
  • Options
    nadiezjanadiezja Member Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    casbyness wrote: »

True story XD

... The event item is the exact same mark and rarity as all the other event items have been, because otherwise it would be as good as or better than the rep items that people put a pile of work into getting. And I'm not sure how the upgrade system can be seen as a cash grab. I can't ever imagine spending money on it; I just use upgrades as I make 'em.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    nadiezja wrote: »
    ... The event item is the exact same mark and rarity as all the other event items have been, because otherwise it would be as good as or better than the rep items that people put a pile of work into getting. And I'm not sure how the upgrade system can be seen as a cash grab. I can't ever imagine spending money on it; I just use upgrades as I make 'em.

Just because a blind man can't see the world... doesn't mean its not there.
    signature.png
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    Bah, I thought they were going to explain said rewards. What a waste of my time.

Well, maybe not completely.

I found the information that my non-Recruits needed to visit the Temporal Agency contact to get the account-bound rewards to be very useful reading. It specifically addresses the misconception that pre-existing characters won't benefit from Delta Recruitment.
    As Delta Recruits complete the goals presented to them in the Recruit UI, they are earning rewards. Many of these rewards are account-bound, so if you’d like to send them all to other characters, that’s completely fine, and in fact an intended possible use of those rewards. In addition, Delta Recruits will also unlock rewards that can be claimed by other characters on your account.

In order to claim these account-level rewards, you simply need to take your non-Delta character and visit the Temporal agent for that character’s faction. This NPC will have a Store on them that contains all the account-level rewards your alt characters can claim. They can claim any of the account-level rewards earned by the Delta Recruit on the same account. Each of your characters can claim the account level rewards once from the Temporal agent. These rewards include Marks, Equipment, Consoles, R&D Materials, and other items.

One piece of information I'm still looking for is confirmation that once my Delta Recruit has been created, there's no time limit on completing the special tasks. That is my assumption, but confirmation would be nice.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cidstorm wrote: »
    Because the Flotilla is the main Romulan hub, right?

It is until you are high enough level to discover New Romulus, remember that low level characters need access.
  • Options
    carcharodon1975carcharodon1975 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've said it before,PWE/Cryptic are all about the short term profits.

They were going all out to suck as much money out of player's wallets as they could....and now it's too late,the damage is done,the game is dead...
    The PWE/Cryptic sweatshop...not where the game is made,but where the game is played!

Take back your home,end the grind!

Volunteer moderators policing the forums is like a mall cop trying to solve a murder.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited March 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    its coming

"The Redcoats are coming, the Redcoats are coming!"

No, wait, wrong century.

"Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"

Much better.
  • Options
    edited March 2015

They were going all out to suck as much money out of player's wallets as they could....and now it's too late,the damage is done,the game is dead...

You're signature is priceless! xD
    signature.png
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    One piece of information I'm still looking for is confirmation that once my Delta Recruit has been created, there's no time limit on completing the special tasks. That is my assumption, but confirmation would be nice.

Hrmm, kind of feels like there is a time limit on it based on some of the stuff said...

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9080423-delta-recruitment
    Finally, during the first six weeks of the seven-week Delta Recruit event, there will be server wide goals that only Delta Recruits can contribute to, but by accomplishing these goals, they unlock bonuses for the entire server for the whole of the next week of the event! For example, in the first week of the event, every Episode First Run that Delta Recruits complete will count towards the goal. How many First Runs they complete will determine the bonus of the week-long event running in Week 2. You will have either a 1.5x XP bonus, a 2x XP bonus, or possibly even a 2.5x XP bonus for the entire week!

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9082173-delta-recruitment
    Finally, there are the weekly server-wide goals. These are tasks that are tracking things done and acquired by Delta Recruits throughout the entire server. Achieve the target number and the next week a server-wide event turned on so every character (not just Delta Recruits) can reap the benefits for an entire week. Once you hit that first goal though, a new, larger second tier goal will appear. If the server can complete that, the bonuses given in the next week will increase, and a final third tier number can be achieved. Reaching this number will crank up the bonuses in the next week’s event to the max.

The last blog didn't mention stuff like that...though, the overall thing is this is just a seven-week event and the question of what happens after that seventh week, yeah? They become just normal alts/characters that have access to a title and may have unlocked stuff along the way...but there's no more there - no reason to continue playing them past the event, eh?
  • Options
    pollyandjuhrompollyandjuhrom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As the Pakled rolls out of his cryosleep pod, he begins to register (although he can't spell it) his surroundings and how he go there.

"I am cold," he thinks to himself iteritively. He comes to the solution, "I want a pickle."

He staggers past over to the other tubes where the smartest most cunningest person that he knows is sleepily dreaming. He presses the only button on the panel which is marked, "He wants to wake up; WAKE HIM UP!" He hears a ding and a pickle appears from the pickle dispenser.

"Pickle," he thinks, "I have a pickle."

The Pakled Intelligence Officer wakes to see his captain calmly eating his celebratory "I waked up" pickle. "With respect, Sir. I'll be right back." He calmly performs the Picard Maneuver on his own shirt. He then walks over to the captains cryo tube and removes the pickle from the dispenser."

He calmly walks past Kahn to his Captain and salutes him with pickle in hand. "How may I help you, Sir?"

The captain thinks ponderously while slowly masticating. "Make me warm," he says.

- Pakled intel officers. I can't wait.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2015

So they host an event where the only profit can come from long term character investments using normal game mechanics if players decided to hold onto their recruits?

Really?
    no reason to continue playing them past the event, eh?

No bonus reason, that's what I've interpreted as well (though it would be interesting if in future events cryptic has one or two token objectives for delta recruits, say a very short non-combat dialog mission on Risa during the next summer event that yields a few bonus favors.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Another blog that, although interesting, doesn't really tell us anything specific. When will we finally get some hard facts? As says the blog itself: Delta recruitement is almost upon us! Yet we hardly know anything about it.
  • Options
    daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "The Redcoats are coming, the Redcoats are coming!"

No, wait, wrong century.

"Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!"

Much better.

Still the wrong century, that was the 20th.

;)

As the Pakled rolls out of his cryosleep pod, he begins to register (although he can't spell it) his surroundings and how he go there.

"I am cold," he thinks to himself iteritively. He comes to the solution, "I want a pickle."

He staggers past over to the other tubes where the smartest most cunningest person that he knows is sleepily dreaming. He presses the only button on the panel which is marked, "He wants to wake up; WAKE HIM UP!" He hears a ding and a pickle appears from the pickle dispenser.

"Pickle," he thinks, "I have a pickle."

The Pakled Intelligence Officer wakes to see his captain calmly eating his celebratory "I waked up" pickle. "With respect, Sir. I'll be right back." He calmly performs the Picard Maneuver on his own shirt. He then walks over to the captains cryo tube and removes the pickle from the dispenser."

He calmly walks past Kahn to his Captain and salutes him with pickle in hand. "How may I help you, Sir?"

The captain thinks ponderously while slowly masticating. "Make me warm," he says.

- Pakled intel officers. I can't wait.

I'm guessing a Pakled Scientist is the one who made the pickles?

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I won't deny that company's are made to make money BUT...what about this promotion will suck money out of people's pockets???
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I won't deny that company's are made to make money BUT...what about this promotion will suck money out of people's pockets???

"Hopefully" new people (or alts) paying for fancy T6 Ships, Upgrades etc ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Gearing up the new characters, at least thats what they're hoping for.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "Hopefully" new people (or alts) paying for fancy T6 Ships, Upgrades etc ...

none of which are a must. I plan on making an alt and they will fly a T6 I already own
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    cirran1cirran1 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I see the same angry forum trolls are out in force. If you don't like it, don't play it. Keep your sanctimonious, trolliness to yourself. Seriously, for a group of people that make it perfectly clear you are unhappy with life, you spend a TON of time spreading hate, anger, and vitriol on the forums. It is a very bad place to be, it is not healthy. I hope all of you find a better state of mind about your entertainment.

Cirran
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    none of which are a must. I plan on making an alt and they will fly a T6 I already own

= "I have a Sandwich, so noone is starving" ...

Nothing in this a game "is a must" ... what's your point ... you were asking how Cryptic would cash in on this Event ... the answer was pretty obvious anyway ...

Are you trying to tell us that the only reason for Cryptic to "recruit" new Players, is for the benefit of the "Veterans" ... and they don't anticipate any of those "new" people to buy anything from the C-Store ... I don't get it ... ??

=> New Customers = new Sources of Income -> you don't need a Rocket Scientist for this equation ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    sisteric wrote: »

Based on the wording, I am unclear if this means the that I have to visit the Recruits faction Agent or the Claiming Character's Factional Agent.
    Can we get this clarified?

Because this means to mean I need only 1 new Recruit, or Three new Recruits, if I want all my toons to get the stuff.

you simply need to take your non-Delta character and visit the Temporal agent for that character’s faction.

seems pretty clear to me, regardless of the delta recruit faction, if you have a non delta fed you visit the fed NCP, if you have a non delta kdf you visit the kdf NPC and if you have a non delta rom you visit the rom NPC.
    if you have any extra characters from any of these factions you repeat the possess with each of them.

of course you can only do this if you have 1 delta of any faction you choose who has first earned the rewards.
    How long will the vendor be available and will characters need to have existed during the promo to claim the items if the vendor remains available after the event ends?

personally I will be parking my current characters in the vicinity of the NPC and claim each reward as it comes up.
    starkaos wrote: »
    So what rewards do we get if we get a Delta Recruit in each faction to level 50, complete their story arcs, and whatever other Delta Recruitment goals are available?

apart from the serious amount of time involved that any rewards will likely only be claimable once even if you get it for more then one delta, so if delta A,B & C gain x for y your non deltas can only claim x once.
    whether there will be any extra rewards for doing more then one delta is doubtful.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    cirran1 wrote: »
    I see the same angry forum trolls are out in force. If you don't like it, don't play it. Keep your sanctimonious, trolliness to yourself. Seriously, for a group of people that make it perfectly clear you are unhappy with life, you spend a TON of time spreading hate, anger, and vitriol on the forums. It is a very bad place to be, it is not healthy. I hope all of you find a better state of mind about your entertainment.

Cirran

Irony is ^ this post won't get flagged for being off topic.... but this post probably will :/
    signature.png
  • Options
    oldschooldorkoldschooldork Member Posts: 426 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cirran1 wrote: »

Cirran

And who is the "angry troll spreading hate and anger"? Which do you want to be, the pot or the kettle? They are both the same color so you can have first pick.
    AGpDi8m.gif
    I don't care what the header says, I am not now, nor have I ever been, nor will I ever be, an "ARC user".
  • Options
    pollyandjuhrompollyandjuhrom Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    daveyny wrote: »

I'm guessing a Pakled Scientist is the one who made the pickles?

:cool:

Nope, it was Kahn who first found the Pakleds and gave them space technology ... and pickles. They were a slave race to the Klingons when he transwarped/beamed there.. His grandmother was the one who taught him how to make pickles.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I put my normal play on hold during the summer and winter events, I have no problem putting my existing characters on semi hold during this event and only logging into them to collect any goodies they can.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.