test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Omega Marks -> Dilithium

2»

Comments

• dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have the distinct impression that the Dev(s) who thought up this scheme did so with the intent that the marks be cashed in immediately upon earning them. Remember the whole "nobody's hitting cap, so we need to introduce more dilithium sources to ensure daily capping out" stuff? Consider that their "metrics" want you logging in (and therefore earning most of your currencies) on a daily basis? Well, that was the "plan" behind it - do a process you're "conditioned" to do from the 40 day grind to complete the reputation daily, but earning dilithium instead of repXP from the clicks.
    warpangel wrote: »
    1. I don't want to spend 5 minutes of complete boredom a day killing my mouse button over something that could be done with a few clicks.
    2. I'll have to disagree on the whole "not as painful" issue. Whether the boredom and the mousebutton wear is spread out evenly over a period of days or concentrated in a single event, its still the same amount of boredom and mousebutton wear.
    3. I've been "hoarding" marks since marks were added to the game and will be hoarding them until they let me convert them in a reasonable way. The dilithium events were the only reason I ever turned them in, and even then only because they would've lost value otherwise.
    4. Yes, mark turn-in projects are now equally not worth the effort at all points in the game cycle.

On my above note:

1. Whether done "as intended" on a daily basis, or in one big batch once a week/month/whatever, you're gonna wear on the mouse the same. Therefore, "mouse wear", being identical in either situation, should not be the basis of an argument.

1.5 I've ran so many ISEs (now ISAs) that they are "so routine it's boring" whenever I see a DPS-group Scim on the board. Does this mean that I should have a "collect marks" button magically appear once the game recognizes the DPS-group member in my PuG, so that I can "save" all the mouse clicks on targetting enemies, activating powers, etc. etc.?

2. I'll admit - I fall into the same trap of not processing my marks "as intended" via the daily clicky-process. This is more out of lazyness and/or applying a premium to the time I actually can play, and have been known to take some of that "not able to commit to actually playing" time I run into periodically to "flush" my mark buildups. Therefore, I feel much less pain/boredom when processing marks than the average player. Perhaps this taints my thought processes...

3 and 4. I believe the forum sentiment for these statements would be "the entitlement is strong in this post".

As is a common practice on the board, I shall attempt to use a "RL" situation to illustrate the belief. When I lived in the state of MA, there was a law there that all employees who worked on Federal Holidays had to be paid "time and a half" for the hours worked / accumulated on the holiday.

Was it standard practice in MA to "hoard" all my hours worked and enter them on the holiday, because I am "worth" the holiday payrate, or did I receive "regular" pay for "regular" hours worked and enjoyed the "premium" rate that about once a month that a Federal Holiday swung by (like Columbus Day...)

Same with marks. They are "assigned" a "base" rate of 10 dil per mark, cashed in as batches of 50. They "never" were worth 15 dil/mark, it just was a "premium" or "holiday" rate on the weekend(s) Cryptic elected to name a "dilithium earning holiday". Only by "hoarding" them for the "premium weekends" did they even begin to be "mistakenly" valued at 15 dil per mark - however, nobody accounted for the sheer boredom of condensing 40/50/100/whatever days worth of "micro click batches of less than 10 clicks" into one massive sequence, and began to "complain" - both on the relative scarcity of dilithium weekends, and on the "boredom" of the mass turn-in process. Hence the "nerf" to enforce the "desired" value of 10 dil per in batches of 50.

An "interm" solution, obviously sub-optimal, but it does fit within the system "as designed", is exactly what I proposed before. Limit yourself to "smaller" batches of one to two days worth of cap per session. Eventually, you'll be back to the point of being able to process daily, and the boredom will all but disappear - because the daily processes will be so short it barely registers. You receive "full value" for your marks.

Or should Cryptic contemplate using yet another "business type measure of value", and generate "bulk rate" turn ins that "pay appropriately". Since it is always cheaper, per unit, to buy in bulk, would a 500 marks for 4500 dil (9 dil per mark, not 10) be an acceptable "bulk rate" from the 50 -> 500 project?
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    dareau wrote: »
    I have the distinct impression that the Dev(s) who thought up this scheme did so with the intent that the marks be cashed in immediately upon earning them. Remember the whole "nobody's hitting cap, so we need to introduce more dilithium sources to ensure daily capping out" stuff? Consider that their "metrics" want you logging in (and therefore earning most of your currencies) on a daily basis? Well, that was the "plan" behind it - do a process you're "conditioned" to do from the 40 day grind to complete the reputation daily, but earning dilithium instead of repXP from the clicks.

On my above note:

1. Whether done "as intended" on a daily basis, or in one big batch once a week/month/whatever, you're gonna wear on the mouse the same. Therefore, "mouse wear", being identical in either situation, should not be the basis of an argument.

1.5 I've ran so many ISEs (now ISAs) that they are "so routine it's boring" whenever I see a DPS-group Scim on the board. Does this mean that I should have a "collect marks" button magically appear once the game recognizes the DPS-group member in my PuG, so that I can "save" all the mouse clicks on targetting enemies, activating powers, etc. etc.?

2. I'll admit - I fall into the same trap of not processing my marks "as intended" via the daily clicky-process. This is more out of lazyness and/or applying a premium to the time I actually can play, and have been known to take some of that "not able to commit to actually playing" time I run into periodically to "flush" my mark buildups. Therefore, I feel much less pain/boredom when processing marks than the average player. Perhaps this taints my thought processes...

3 and 4. I believe the forum sentiment for these statements would be "the entitlement is strong in this post".

As is a common practice on the board, I shall attempt to use a "RL" situation to illustrate the belief. When I lived in the state of MA, there was a law there that all employees who worked on Federal Holidays had to be paid "time and a half" for the hours worked / accumulated on the holiday.

Was it standard practice in MA to "hoard" all my hours worked and enter them on the holiday, because I am "worth" the holiday payrate, or did I receive "regular" pay for "regular" hours worked and enjoyed the "premium" rate that about once a month that a Federal Holiday swung by (like Columbus Day...)

Same with marks. They are "assigned" a "base" rate of 10 dil per mark, cashed in as batches of 50. They "never" were worth 15 dil/mark, it just was a "premium" or "holiday" rate on the weekend(s) Cryptic elected to name a "dilithium earning holiday". Only by "hoarding" them for the "premium weekends" did they even begin to be "mistakenly" valued at 15 dil per mark - however, nobody accounted for the sheer boredom of condensing 40/50/100/whatever days worth of "micro click batches of less than 10 clicks" into one massive sequence, and began to "complain" - both on the relative scarcity of dilithium weekends, and on the "boredom" of the mass turn-in process. Hence the "nerf" to enforce the "desired" value of 10 dil per in batches of 50.

An "interm" solution, obviously sub-optimal, but it does fit within the system "as designed", is exactly what I proposed before. Limit yourself to "smaller" batches of one to two days worth of cap per session. Eventually, you'll be back to the point of being able to process daily, and the boredom will all but disappear - because the daily processes will be so short it barely registers. You receive "full value" for your marks.

Or should Cryptic contemplate using yet another "business type measure of value", and generate "bulk rate" turn ins that "pay appropriately". Since it is always cheaper, per unit, to buy in bulk, would a 500 marks for 4500 dil (9 dil per mark, not 10) be an acceptable "bulk rate" from the 50 -> 500 project?

My problem is, I gather my daily dilithium pretty quickly and, turning in marks using hourly projects, just doesn't eat thru them quickly at all so, I wind up with more and more marks constantly building up.

So, a mass conversion would be really nice, despite that the Dev's thought it necessary to rob *cough*....huerm change the bonus weekend so, that hoarding marks don't benefit from the event.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can't believe someone is that serious about defending a meaningless clickfest. :eek:
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    I can't believe someone is that serious about defending a meaningless clickfest. :eek:

Honestly?

Combine bad mood with general forum entitlement disposition with a touch of "casual dismissal of entire earlier post" and the venting can approach epic proportion - especially when it tangents...
    despite that the Dev's thought it necessary to rob *cough*....huerm change the bonus weekend so, that hoarding marks don't benefit from the event.

And look, a sterling case of what drove me into "epic rant mode" shortly after my rant explaining the concept...
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]