test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Galaxy class

Comments

• jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Bingo. I have seen what Galaxy can do in the hands of someone that knows and loves it. It is scary.

Maybe if people stopped changing ships more than they change underwear they could learn how to fly them right.

The problem with that statement is - with a proper build a Galaxy can be a good ship at the hands of a good captain. But with the same build, same gear, and same captain, every other endgame cruiser in the game will do the same damned thing - but better.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ^You know I love my Noble/Galaxy-X/Hegh'ta/Aves so much I still haven't used my Samsar.

My Romulan wouldn't have touched
    im a 4 foot man myself. the saucer rim on the 6 foot is too thin for the 2 decks that are supposed to be there, the nacelle pylons having less of a slop up looks more realistic, the stockier secondary hull just looks better, and thers a lot more surface detail on the 4 foot, 6 foot looks die cast

"Die Cast Construction.....it's a lost art."

It's weird, the 4 foot does look somewhat more functional, but the 6 foot to me seems the more artistic that was intended by Probert. I'm always gonna go with the original designers intent (which now that I write it out is a hilariously self serving statement as my main, is a starship design engineer).

There are two things about the six foot that I find superior.

First the rim on the saucer is much slimmer and sharper which in my mind enhances the sense of scale. It was intentionally changed on the four foot because when they made Ten Forward they built it out of scale with the original exterior, so it was changed the Four Foot to compensate as it's cheaper than altering the standard set.

Second, the leading edge/bow of the neck is sharper on the six foot rather than the four foot. That particular portion grants that illusion of cutting through space (even though in space it could be as wide as a Borg cube and it wouldn't make a difference).

I'm ambivalent on the smooth vs textured view of the hull skin. On the whole I think the producers were wrong about adding the texture to provide scale, to me it actually shrunk the ship. Having the texture only visible in closeups is better so that from afar the ship is so big that it actually looks smooth. You can't see the towers on the surface of the Death Star. But at the same time, the texture made the ship look armored or like it was covered in sensor pallets. It works both ways.

Interesting though that in the crash scene they went with a smoother saucer.

darlexa wrote: »
    thank you. looks like a fun place to check back everyone in a while. any realistic chance some of these might get looked at? or is it just group therapy for galaxy x lovers?.

Well, we've recently seen limited evidence that there will be a Tier 6 Galaxy and Negh'var coming in Season 10, so we're waiting patiently and breathing normally.

We love all Galaxies here from the R to the X.

From great disappointment in the fact that the X doesn't have an LtCdr tac BOFF slot while being called a Dreadnought the very word meaning flying gun platform with armor, to the Galaxy-R which is basically supposed to be the Enterprise-D not having an LtCdr uni, which would befit one of the most modular and variable ship designs in the past century.

Or just pissing and moaning about the fact that any ship let alone the former Flagship of the Fleet would get stuck with an Ensign Engineering BOFF slot...the height of uselessness.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jer5488 wrote: »
    The problem with that statement is - with a proper build a Galaxy can be a good ship at the hands of a good captain. But with the same build, same gear, and same captain, every other endgame cruiser in the game will do the same damned thing - but better.

But guess what? To a real fan of the Galaxy it would not matter. I fly the freebie dyson warbird. I could jump into the c-store version or get a "better" science ship off the exchange but guess what? It would not be my dyson warbird. That is what I meant by the second part. Knowing your ship is well but truly loving the old girl is what really matters.

Look at the people mad over the changes to SS. Lets say the galaxy gets what ever changes people are asking for. What happens when the "meta" (there is no real meta but you know what I mean) changes and those changes leave the galaxy in a worst off spot then before?
    edited March 2015
    But guess what? To a real fan of the Galaxy it would not matter. I fly the freebie dyson warbird. I could jump into the c-store version or get a "better" science ship off the exchange but guess what? It would not be my dyson warbird. That is what I meant by the second part. Knowing your ship is well but truly loving the old girl is what really matters.

Look at the people mad over the changes to SS. Lets say the galaxy gets what ever changes people are asking for. What happens when the "meta" (there is no real meta but you know what I mean) changes and those changes leave the galaxy in a worst off spot then before?

So 'showing real love' is ignoring the fact that an iconic ship has the worst boff layout in the game and is extremely inferior to dozens of ship classes that she directly replaced and we have on screen evidence that she was far better then.

The changes to one boff power doesn't equate a ship being made useless. When fire at will goes out of style, and top dps swings back towards cannon rapid/scatter, or overload - that doesn't mean the Galaxy is worse then before. It means the power has changed. Yes, something will eventually replace the T6 ships - but considering how many people play STO to be in an Excelsior or Intrepid or Galaxy or D'Deridex - there WILL be a T7. Will that be in a year? Two years? Who knows.

And it doesn't matter how good you are in your galaxy, if you aren't in a premade group with friends or people who at least know you - you will see this comment entering a queue event. 'lolz. Who brought the failaxy?'
    edited March 2015
    On the list of things that ticked me off today we have this image.

http://i.imgur.com/ThGd7M9.jpg

WHERE THE HECK IS THE BATTLE BRIDGE?

My Stardrive is BALD!!!

I never noticed that glaring oversight before now I can't unsee it.

I love my Aves as well. :D

But I don't see why we shouldn't fight for the Galaxy to be better. Or more representative of what its original design was meant to be.

As for the meta, which I don't get what you mean and can only assume you mean "what the DPS game is using to max out, right now", I don't really see how the Galaxy can get into a worse position. The niche she used to occupy, tanking has been summarily obsoleted.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Even if tanking were necessary, the command cruisers smoke the Galaxy in that area. It doesn't matter if the meta changes, the Galaxy R will still be bad. Arguing the "B..b..but what if" point is stupid because the ship sucks at everything.

Besides, these old conversations that we've had again and again don't even matter anymore. We know a T6 Galaxy is coming so it doesn't even make sense for people to want to hold the ol' girl back anymore. The conversation now should be focusing on the performance of this new upcoming one and how it should fit in the current game. And I for one, am glad to go in that direction.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • darlexadarlexa Member Posts: 222 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    potasssium wrote: »
    I Love the Galaxy-X, and Nebula, and would KILL to get the New Orleans in game.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/New_Orleans_class

All of which have Galaxy parts, just not a fan of the plain Galaxy herself, aestheticly, or performance wise, my Fed Cruiser of choice is my T5U Fleet Ambassador.

I like her much more without that ungodly wide saucer, C-Store Battle Bridge Please.

Still, the Galaxy is better looking to me than the Guardian, Eclipse, Star Cruiser, Avenger, Excelsior, and Connie to me.

But not as good looking as the Ambassador, Heavy Cruiser, Constitution Refit, Exeter, Excelsior Retrofit, or Geneva.

I dunno. the new Orleans was supposedly the tesbed for the new technology and systems used in the galaxy, but it isn't actually a very large ship.

her size means she would probably be slotted in with the constellations.

that being said, a nice high end medium sized ship isn't a bad thing.
    edited March 2015
    I wouldn't hold your breath on that!

The source in question for that has been quite reliable in the past. It's showing a T6 Galaxy and a T6 Negh'Var. If you don't know about it, go back a few pages to find some hints on where to find it. I can't give direct links to it, unfortunately.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited March 2015

that was very true before the overhaul. now, its a lot tougher customer. the saucer sep and the hanger gives one a lot of options.

currently, its the bridge officer stations that hurts it. helps though in that the engineering stations lets you have a crapload of heals.
    edited March 2015

agreed. ensign only slots are a pain. currently I have made the best of it a can, tactical in the universal, and torp 1 and fire at will 2 in the tac slot.
    edited March 2015

I would like to say that the dyson warbird is REALLY good. im not nearly as fond of the others, but the warbird is quite a ship. i cant fault any one for using it.

i support this though, i have ships that should be cleared to make room, but i like them. i had a galaxy in storage until it was replaced with a gal x. that was the only reason it was removed too.

i think the galaxy x lends itself to being a useful ship. it has plenty of weapon slots, a tough hull, and decent maneuvering. frankly, the galaxy x is the only reason keeping the class in conversation. the regular versions are easily outpaced by sovereigns and assault cruisers. i had one of each, though they are mirror versons.
    edited March 2015

And it doesn't matter how good you are in your galaxy, if you aren't in a premade group with friends or people who at least know you - you will see this comment entering a queue event. 'lolz. Who brought the failaxy?'

that's awlays going to happen. and frankly, even when only handled decently, a gal x can deliver.

personally, i usually say this when i see someone with a chimera. though they have become a bit more popular again as the t5u fleet ver finally helps one or two of its biggest issues, it still takes a lot of effort to set up properly.

i flew one for a long time, i replaced it with an avenger in fact.

good ship, but very fragile.
    edited March 2015
    darlexa wrote: »
    that was very true before the overhaul. now, its a lot tougher customer. the saucer sep and the hanger gives one a lot of options.

currently, its the bridge officer stations that hurts it. helps though in that the engineering stations lets you have a crapload of heals.

The normal galaxy doesn't have a hanger....

The Galaxy-X isn't a bad ship. The hanger, ensign uni, and 4 tac stations make it a very versatile and dangerous lady.

The normal Galaxy has 2 (3 at T5U fleet), only a lt tac, no universal, and 3 ensign engineers which are absolutely beyond useless.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lan451 wrote: »
    We know a T6 Galaxy is coming so it doesn't even make sense for people to want to hold the ol' girl back anymore. The conversation now should be focusing on the performance of this new upcoming one and how it should fit in the current game. And I for one, am glad to go in that direction.
    Given the Pathfinder's setup, it's likely it'll have:

Lt Tac/Hybrid
    Cmdr Eng
    Lt.Cmdr Eng
    Lt Sci
    Lt Universal

The Hybrid seat could possibly be Command, or maybe Pilot (likely to TRIBBLE someone off); the timing's close enough to do it too, along with whatever new Pilot-specialized ship(s) they may have in store. As well, there's a few Pilot Captain abilities related to sitting and tanking, so it wouldn't be surprising if any Pilot Boff skills are also able to also allow for tanking then running away.
    edited March 2015
    Given the Pathfinder's setup, it's likely it'll have:

Lt Tac/Hybrid
    Cmdr Eng
    Lt.Cmdr Eng
    Lt Sci
    Lt Universal

The Hybrid seat could possibly be Command, or maybe Pilot (likely to TRIBBLE someone off); the timing's close enough to do it too, along with whatever new Pilot-specialized ship(s) they may have in store. As well, there's a few Pilot Captain abilities related to sitting and tanking, so it wouldn't be surprising if any Pilot Boff skills are also able to also allow for tanking then running away.

It'll most likely be command. In one of Smirk's last live streams, one of the devs commented 'The Galaxy would be a perfect ship for the command spec, wouldn't she?'

I expect the eventual T6 Defiant will be pilot.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    (...)

Now, think back, if Cryptic had actually made the Galaxy a very good ship, on a par with the Excelsior, how many people would have been content with that to the extent that they would never buy another ship or at least wouldn't buy as many. I know that I would probably only buy the occasional ship instead of owning most of them. It's like going through lots of different girlfriends when you are actually pining for the love of your life forever out of reach.

So if Cryptic release a T6 Galaxy with all the bells and whistles, that is actually very competitive at end game and in PvP they will immediately slam the door on a huge number of future purchases. This would signal to me that they are in dire financial trouble in much the same way that a Borg lockbox would.
    (...)

I never thought these claims held any water, to be honest. The Galaxy in-game does not recieve any special treatment. Galaxy, Intrepid and Defiant were the most prominent ships in the TNG era and they all got a part of the trinity cake. The reason that the Galaxy "sucks" is that the trinity is not well balanced, but that has nothing to do with the ship itself. They did not deliberately make it bad, it just happens to have the specialization that worked worse in terms of launch abilities. Now the Intrepid got a T6 version, so will the Galaxy and the Defiant (Pilot). It's business as usual and not a sign for anything in my book. People really got emotional about the Galaxy and tend to interprete a lot of stuff into the matter that objectively cannot be proven.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited March 2015
    I can see your point. It would certainly apply to big Galaxy fans like myself. However I'm not convinced that we Galaxy fans are such a large portion of the playerbase that we would eat into ship profits. All they have to do is release a new ship with an OP trait and boom, sales galore. See the Predisio or the Phantom. I just don't see a proper end game Galaxy halting ship purchases to the point where Cryptic would get worried.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited March 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I never thought these claims held any water, to be honest. The Galaxy in-game does not recieve any special treatment. Galaxy, Intrepid and Defiant were the most prominent ships in the TNG era and they all got a part of the trinity cake. The reason that the Galaxy "sucks" is that the trinity is not well balanced, but that has nothing to do with the ship itself. They did not deliberately make it bad, it just happens to have the specialization that worked worse in terms of launch abilities. Now the Intrepid got a T6 version, so will the Galaxy and the Defiant (Pilot). It's business as usual and not a sign for anything in my book. People really got emotional about the Galaxy and tend to interprete a lot of stuff into the matter that objectively cannot be proven.

Well there is the word that Geko hates the Galaxy. I haven't seen it first hand though.

It's interesting that similar complaints about the D'Deridex got it a superior layout before Legacy released.

That said the Trinity is poorly balanced, a fact exasperated by the fact that Star Trek isn't something that the trinity can apply well to.
    That's fine, it is subjective, I would not argue my point at all, it's just one possible interpretation, I would say it makes sense from a business point of view, that's all.

I'm not entirely certain about that. It's short changing guaranteed sales for possible sales in the future, at the expense of some customer good will.

Further we're not asking for a future proofed Galaxy, just one that's is more viable, that is a little more reflective of its canon abilities and design, and one that isn't generally outclassed by a ship seven decades older.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Even if tanking were necessary, the command cruisers smoke the Galaxy in that area. It doesn't matter if the meta changes, the Galaxy R will still be bad. Arguing the "B..b..but what if" point is stupid because the ship sucks at everything.

The Command Cruisers smoke everything in the tanking area. They're not OP by any means, but they're quite balanced top of the line now, as it should be and it's nice to see Cryptic getting something right for a change. I have no issues with the Command Cruisers smoking the Galaxy in that area - they're the newest ships Starfleet made. What I have issues with is the Excelsior, Ambassador and even Constellation smoking the Galaxy in that area.

Besides, these old conversations that we've had again and again don't even matter anymore. We know a T6 Galaxy is coming so it doesn't even make sense for people to want to hold the ol' girl back anymore. The conversation now should be focusing on the performance of this new upcoming one and how it should fit in the current game. And I for one, am glad to go in that direction.
    The source in question for that has been quite reliable in the past. It's showing a T6 Galaxy and a T6 Negh'Var. If you don't know about it, go back a few pages to find some hints on where to find it. I can't give direct links to it, unfortunately.

There is currently zero evidence that a T6 Galaxy is comming. The source may be reliable, however the source doesn't particulary mention a Galaxy Class but rather a T6 Exploration Cruiser that has the outlay of one of the old Perpetual concept arts. Granted, with the Galaxy Class being the 'Exploration Cruiser' at T5 it is natural to be expected this one to mean a Galaxy Class hull in addition to a new one, however - never forget that this is Cryptic we're dealing with. I just don't want for anyone to get overexcited without sound evidence, because there is a chance (a rather small one, but still) that they're setting themselves up for a dissapointment.

Personally, I'm excited about the Perpetual concept design. I remain catiously optimistic at the notion of a T6 Galaxy Class, but I'm not throwing all my money in that bag just yet.
    Yeah I saw it already, but I find it hard to believe and here's why.

The Galaxy is arguably the most sought after ship in the game, it's the ultimate hero ship especially knowing that we can't have the Connie. For many the Galaxy is the one ship they most want to fly in STO and indeed the amount of Galaxys and Galaxy Dreadnoughts flying around proves that even though the dread is seriously flawed and the standard Galaxy is a joke, but still people work out ways to get a build that will do something just so they can fly their beloved hero ship, I am one of those people.

Now, think back, if Cryptic had actually made the Galaxy a very good ship, on a par with the Excelsior, how many people would have been content with that to the extent that they would never buy another ship or at least wouldn't buy as many. I know that I would probably only buy the occasional ship instead of owning most of them. It's like going through lots of different girlfriends when you are actually pining for the love of your life forever out of reach.

So if Cryptic release a T6 Galaxy with all the bells and whistles, that is actually very competitive at end game and in PvP they will immediately slam the door on a huge number of future purchases. This would signal to me that they are in dire financial trouble in much the same way that a Borg lockbox would.

Sorry, just my personal opinion ofcourse, but this makes no sense whatsoever. I'll have to agree with angrytarg on this one.
    For ex. I'm a Galaxy fan, TNG was my Trek - the first Trek I've seen and I've had the Galaxy Class in STO since it was released. I've also been constantly using it ever since, only changed it recently for short periods of time to grab ship traits from T6 ships I own. I'm able to run a Galaxy that can achieve between 25 and 40k DPS based on my luck and concentration, which is more than enough for anything in STO. All while I'm trippy and build my ships to be canon, don't use some stuff like Borg TRIBBLE or lockbox consoles/sets, etc. But all of this is happening on a single char, he's my Galaxy/TNG char. That didn't stop me from owning every other Starfleet cruiser in the game, most of the science ships and even a few escorts. Not to mention KDF ships which is my primary faction.

I've always seen the premise of a worthwhile hero ship, be it Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid or even a Constitution or an NX, hurting ship sales for Cryptic as fundamentally flawed. People won't fly the same ship on all characters they have belonging to a certain faction. Even people that only play one character and love a particular ship are not a safe bet of only using that ship and never trying something else for a change of pace/scenery. And for the worthwhile Galaxy Class to really hurt ship sales it would mean that all STO players are 100% dedicated Galaxy fanboys, which as seen in the game - is not true. Granted, the ship is very popular and has a big following - however the sheer number of for ex. alien ships that are being used in STO which have no place to be in a Starfleet ship roster is evidence enough that a usefull Galaxy won't close wallets forever. If anything, they're closing more TNG fans' wallets this way, by portraying their favourite ship as junk in this game.

Besides, Cryptic can't rely on ship sales forever. The rate of saturation is becomming huge and the reprecussions can be seen in the latest developments both in and out of game. They need to be creative and find other ways of making money for themselves and STO besides ships.
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    The Command Cruisers smoke everything in the tanking area. They're not OP by any means, but they're quite balanced top of the line now, as it should be and it's nice to see Cryptic getting something right for a change. I have no issues with the Command Cruisers smoking the Galaxy in that area - they're the newest ships Starfleet made. What I have issues with is the Excelsior, Ambassador and even Constellation smoking the Galaxy in that area.

True enough. Was just trying to get the point across that even if the meta changed, the Galaxy's situation wouldn't since it would still be terrible.
    There is currently zero evidence that a T6 Galaxy is comming. The source may be reliable, however the source doesn't particulary mention a Galaxy Class but rather a T6 Exploration Cruiser that has the outlay of one of the old Perpetual concept arts. Granted, with the Galaxy Class being the 'Exploration Cruiser' at T5 it is natural to be expected this one to mean a Galaxy Class hull in addition to a new one, however - never forget that this is Cryptic we're dealing with. I just don't want for anyone to get overexcited without sound evidence, because there is a chance (a rather small one, but still) that they're setting themselves up for a dissapointment.

Personally, I'm excited about the Perpetual concept design. I remain catiously optimistic at the notion of a T6 Galaxy Class, but I'm not throwing all my money in that bag just yet.

I suppose that's true as well. I guess I'm just excited at the possibility of it finally happening. Since the source has been reliable in the past, I'm just putting a bit more stock into it. I'm ready to shove the Galaxy haters out the airlock and then barrel roll all over space in my fabulous, properly performing Galaxy heh.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited March 2015
    shpoks wrote: »
    (...)

Besides, Cryptic can't rely on ship sales forever. The rate of saturation is becomming huge and the reprecussions can be seen in the latest developments both in and out of game. They need to be creative and find other ways of making money for themselves and STO besides ships.

This here is a excellent point you beat me to :D Cryptic developed the whole T6 probably to sell ship traits - a new gimmick you want to buy the ship for. The development of ships to buy hit a wall some time ago - I actually "saw this" (like anybody else probably) years ago. There's just so much you can do shuffling the stations around. Canon looks have always been an afterthought for the majority of the paying playerbase - quite a few canon enthusiasts will probably be disappointed by the limited gameplay regardless of which ship skin they use. But by placing more or less powerfull ship traits on those sales (like the laughable "always on" A2B) they guarantee further sales.
    (...)

I suppose that's true as well. I guess I'm just excited at the possibility of it finally happening. Since the source has been reliable in the past, I'm just putting a bit more stock into it. I'm ready to shove the Galaxy haters out the airlock and then barrel roll all over space in my fabulous, properly performing Galaxy heh.

Proper performance has always been a subjective term. Like shpoks said, the current Galaxy is a solid ship able to perform way above average dps or whatever. I would be very surprised if the T6 Exploration Cruiser would sport a vastly different BOFF layout from the Pathfinder precedent. So you should assume that when it comes the BOFF layout and consoles will basically not change - you just get a uni lieutenant and a low command hybrid with rather lackluster abilities in terms of dps generation. So the T6 Explorer will not be much different - if the current Galaxy is insufficient in terms of enjoyment the T6 Explorer will probably just be the same.

Still, we can all be surprised big time because after all a T6 Negh'Var is also on the horizon, which is a carbon copy of the Galaxy - maybe they take the opportunity and change that.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited March 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Always rather liked this (fan-made) interpretation of what a refit Galaxy could look like:
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/Darth_Sidious_1983/galaxy3-1.jpg

The impulse engines are too large but overall I rather like it.

I might be mistaken, but can't you get very close to that using a venture/monarch kitbash?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    edited March 2015
    Proper performance has always been a subjective term. Like shpoks said, the current Galaxy is a solid ship able to perform way above average dps or whatever. I would be very surprised if the T6 Exploration Cruiser would sport a vastly different BOFF layout from the Pathfinder precedent. So you should assume that when it comes the BOFF layout and consoles will basically not change - you just get a uni lieutenant and a low command hybrid with rather lackluster abilities in terms of dps generation. So the T6 Explorer will not be much different - if the current Galaxy is insufficient in terms of enjoyment the T6 Explorer will probably just be the same.

Still, we can all be surprised big time because after all a T6 Negh'Var is also on the horizon, which is a carbon copy of the Galaxy - maybe they take the opportunity and change that.

Personally I'm not expecting anything in particular for it. Certainly not some drastic overhaul, though I won't complain if it does. If all it gets is the Pathfinder treatment and a fixed up Galaxy skin, I'll be happy.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • seriousxenoseriousxeno Member Posts: 473 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic would be very stupid not to use the Galaxy skin on the new exploration cruiser.

Do you honestly think the Pathfinder would have sold as well as it did if it didn't had the Intrepid hull available or the interior? I know I wouldn't have bought it, I got it because the old fleet Intrepid we had was lackluster and locked behind a tier 5 shipyard which my fleet won't have for a while.

Remember the advertisement on the launcher? It said "add the famed Intrepid to your armada". Note that it said Intrepid and not Pathfinder. They know the sales power of canon and the Galaxy model is already there so its little more effort for more sales. Not including it would be a bad business move.

The Intrepid model won me over though alongside the interiors. The trait is nice, but for that alone I would not have bought it.

The above would go for both the new Negh'var and exploration cruiser and I doubt I'm alone in this. My fleet Galaxy is crying in a corner right now in envy of just about every cruiser I own, and I got a lot of them. It's time to change that and field a Galaxy worthy of its show counterpart.
    latest?cb=20090525051807&path-prefix=en
    "Let them eat static!"
    edited March 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Always rather liked this (fan-made) interpretation of what a refit Galaxy could look like:
    http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/Darth_Sidious_1983/galaxy3-1.jpg

The impulse engines are too large but overall I rather like it.

its actually rather close to canon or the refit version. lots of ablative armor appliques. i like it. i think ships that they make should come with more customization options. not everyone uses them, but it certainly gives some variety to things.
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic would be very stupid not to use the Galaxy skin on the new exploration cruiser.

I agree. If they don't allow the Galaxy skin on it, then that's just pure spite and contempt toward Galaxy fans. There is absolutely nothing anyone can say to convince me otherwise of that, no matter how unreasonable and irrational that is of me. I simply cannot be moved from that.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
    edited March 2015
    I might be mistaken, but can't you get very close to that using a venture/monarch kitbash?

probably, but the issue with that is is that the galaxy x doesn't allow use of any parts but the dreadnought galaxy and the refit dreadnought galaxy. that's frankly my only major complaint on the looks department. other than i think the stock ships are about due for better skins.