test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Foundry Challenge 11 Theme?

Comments

• thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    So, basically you're saying we should have a "freestyle". That's what I'm getting at.

I kind of think the whole point of a challenge is to work within a unified set of restrictions.
  • rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    How about a monthly "Strange, New World" exploration style foundry challenge in addition to the current type of Foundry challenges. That way they're not stepping on each others toes.
  • drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2015
    I kind of think the whole point of a challenge is to work within a unified set of restrictions.

Have to agree. Otherwise it would be very difficult to judge them against each other.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rekurzion wrote: »
    How about a monthly "Strange, New World" exploration style foundry challenge in addition to the current type of Foundry challenges. That way they're not stepping on each others toes.
    Hmm... maybe do a monthly thing for making exploration misisons?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Have to agree. Otherwise it would be very difficult to judge them against each other.

Yeah, that was kinda my point. "Something set in 2410" is way too vague.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • primar13primar13 Member Posts: 1,896 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    I Vote.

Foundry Spotlight 11.

First Contact Missions.

Due for Play on April 5th. :)

Did you meet them peacfully, Did you Violate the Prime Directive, Did you catch a Klingon Ship Attacking a Pre-warp Civilization? What Happened, Make it interesting and lets see what happens on "First Contact Day"
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    What about.... Borg themed challenge? See if we can make the Borg a menace again? :)

e44ab4101c4de40c99d9bbc096d0e531e7623d61ddac61fc0feee12540559088.jpg
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited February 2015
    Voth Themed?

laser-heads-resized.jpg
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • thefastone21thefastone21 Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why don't you guys do something honoring Spock?
  • dataweaver42dataweaver42 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Why don't you guys do something honoring Spock?

Exactly what I was thinking. Ambassador Spock narrates the intro for the Starfleet game, almost as if he has firsthand knowledge of what happened since his disappearance. So what about a mission that brings him back into contact with the universe that he left behind, at least long enough to learn of the next twenty years' worth of its history?
  • tjsinclairtjsinclair Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Exactly what I was thinking. Ambassador Spock narrates the intro for the Starfleet game, almost as if he has firsthand knowledge of what happened since his disappearance. So what about a mission that brings him back into contact with the universe that he left behind, at least long enough to learn of the next twenty years' worth of its history?

I'd love to see missions honoring Spock, but aren't canon characters still banned from use in the Foundry?
    edited March 2015
    FWIW, I was unaware of that restriction; as you can guess from my post count, I'm new here. Still, it makes sense as a general rule.

OTOH, this is a rather singular occurrence; perhaps they could provide a waiver for this one case?

If not, how far does the ban go? For instance, if I composed a mission featuring a time-lost character from the Abrams-verse who is a personal friend of Ambassador Spock, would that be out of bounds? No direct interaction with the Ambassador and thus no use of his likeness; just mention of him in the mission's dialog.
    edited March 2015
    The End User License Agreement, which all of us agree to when we first launch the Foundry, prevents us from using the likeness of any real person, living or dead. It's not about the character at all, but about the actors who play them.

So, you could have Spock in your mission, but he can't look like Leonard Nimoy or Zachary Quinto (or even Todd Haberkorn from Star Trek Continues!).

One example of something that's permissible is using one of the EV Suit NPCs as Spock, because it has an opaque faceplate, and you can't see a face inside.

Personally I think people go overboard on memorializing these days. I think if someone were to ask Mr. Nimoy what he'd prefer, he'd say don't make missions about me or my character, make something about science or diplomacy or a better future.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
    edited March 2015
    Eh; they're not mutually exclusive.
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just a heads up, I decided what the next challenge will be.

I will post soon to let everyone know, but please keep these ideas coming. You never know, one might make it to #12!

~Smirk
    edited March 2015
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    The End User License Agreement, which all of us agree to when we first launch the Foundry, prevents us from using the likeness of any real person, living or dead. It's not about the character at all, but about the actors who play them.

So, you could have Spock in your mission, but he can't look like Leonard Nimoy or Zachary Quinto (or even Todd Haberkorn from Star Trek Continues!).

One example of something that's permissible is using one of the EV Suit NPCs as Spock, because it has an opaque faceplate, and you can't see a face inside.

Personally I think people go overboard on memorializing these days. I think if someone were to ask Mr. Nimoy what he'd prefer, he'd say don't make missions about me or my character, make something about science or diplomacy or a better future.
    I once had a conversation with someone where we tried to guess what the world would look like if there was a gravestone for every person who ever lived. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe a horror theme for #12? It would be interesting to see what people can come up with.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited March 2015
    Maybe a horror theme for #12? It would be interesting to see what people can come up with.

Ah... the Dark Side of Star Trek? Could be fun.

In completely unrelated news... Devs... any chance we can have this thing on the right? :cool:

a5cba04ec67a0acc92f36f7b69a755fc7e8f8d2a.jpg
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Ah... the Dark Side of Star Trek? Could be fun.

Exactly. Low budget or not, TOS gave us tons of bizarre aliens and threats that remain memorable to this day. While our toolset is more limited, I'm sure the proud authors of STO could find a way to make a good horror story.

How did Q put it... "It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

In fact, "Not for the Timid" would make a great name! :D
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
    edited March 2015
    It's possible to do horror. Both CaptPFDennis and myself have done zombie missions. Mine were more of the 28 Days Later rage zombies (and mind controlled to boot), rather than your undead zombies, and I haven't actually played his.
    edited March 2015
    I remember a ghost themed mission.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited March 2015
    Just a heads up, I decided what the next challenge will be.

I will post soon to let everyone know, but please keep these ideas coming. You never know, one might make it to #12!

~Smirk

Is it going to be related to the Delta Quadrant recruits by chance? :confused:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • pwecaptainsmirkpwecaptainsmirk Member Posts: 1,167 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thay8472 wrote: »
    Is it going to be related to the Delta Quadrant recruits by chance? :confused:

Not unless individuals authors choose to put that in....
    edited March 2015
    Not unless individuals authors choose to put that in....

Okay my next guess... It's about ... the Voth?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited March 2015
    Doom! All hope is lost!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So with Smirk presumably gone ( :( ), what happens to the next Foundry challenge? Canceled? Postponed? In limbo? Proceeding as planned?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited March 2015
    So with Smirk presumably gone ( :( ), what happens to the next Foundry challenge? Canceled? Postponed? In limbo? Proceeding as planned?

Best guess? Unless Trendy or another Dev decide to continue it.... gone for now.

Failing that... Devs... Can one of us do the challenges, spotlights and so on?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • tjsinclairtjsinclair Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    With Smirk gone, are any of the Devs even paying attention to this forum or the Foundry at all?
    edited March 2015
    tjsinclair wrote: »
    With Smirk gone, are any of the Devs even paying attention to this forum or the Foundry at all?
    of course. but not people who do spotlights.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    of course. but not people who do spotlights.

Smirk did spotlights?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]