stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "Maintenance is working as intended" - Cryptic
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lebtron wrote: »
    if steam is right about relative numbers, it would be around european morning. i have some doubts about european prime time being the least busy time on day. steam numbers do not support it and waiting time on pve queues does not support it either.

I guess european prime time is just the best trade off between player numbers and work shifts for devs.

your forgetting the australians, those in russia and so on. unfortunately its the only place to put it, perhaps an hour or 2 earlier but thats not accounting for early morning for those in boston and those at cryptic who just started their mornings.
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Prime time is 7 to 11 (1900 to 2300). The Servers going down from 3-6 (1500 to 1800) is not European prime time. Like in the US, much of Europe has barely returned home from work by the time the Servers come back up.

youre forgetting that kids play this game they are usually home by 4pm, rush hour in the uk is around 6pm typically.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    Now, I come to see, that maintenance takes the server down each week for multiple hours in European playing time.

Albeit that I understand there are a few more players on the American side, we Europeans are discriminated by this.

Ummm.......

Move to another country that is closer to the United States so that scheduled maintenance fits more favorably into your daily activities? Or immigrate to the United States so that you are no longer "discriminated" against when it comes to maintenance?
  • Options
    laro1984laro1984 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    in my country, iam a european, it is now 16:40 a lot people are working till 18:00 so its not so much in the prime time and ok since it is in the week also its not like a whole day offline or so ... but every time something european related comes up us citizen seems to behave like .... sometimes i ask myself why are we even try to play the same and dont ignore each other :/ a little bit more empathy would be nice sometimes ...
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,319 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Why hasn't this been shut down already? This is an FCT topic and has been addressed. :rolleyes:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm in the UK and to be honest, it makes sense. Its not even 4pm right now so the vast majority of European players will be at work or school still. And in America, they'll only have recently woken up and be heading to school/work as well. It really is the best time to do it.

Okay, a few gamers who for whatever reason are playing but you are few and far between. Most people will simply not be on STO at this time so that's why it was chosen. Simple as.
  • Options
    illoominartiilloominarti Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    13 PM: Doing stuff

14 PM: Doing stuff x2

15 PM: Playing Driveclub

*STO servers are down*

16 PM: Playing Driveclub

17 PM: Playing Driveclub

*servers up*

18 PM: Break

19 PM: Doing stuff

bottom line: my interest in playing STO is zero, enough to not care about downtimes.
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    laro1984 wrote: »
    in my country, iam a european, it is now 16:40 a lot people are working till 18:00 so its not so much in the prime time and ok since it is in the week also its not like a whole day offline or so ... but every time something european related comes up us citizen seems to behave like .... sometimes i ask myself why are we even try to play the same and dont ignore each other :/ a little bit more empathy would be nice sometimes ...

I don't think it has so much to do with the fact that it's European, but more to do with every single week on the exact same day maintenance happens at the exact same time. And every single week on that day the exact same complaint is made...by a European.

Now I have nothing at all against Europeans, hell I like some of them better than I like some Americans, but come on. We all know when the maintenance happens, and the same complaint week after week just gets old. Hence why it should be (if not already) in the list of FCTs.
  • Options
    nyxadrillnyxadrill Member Posts: 1,242 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    I don't think it has so much to do with the fact that it's European, but more to do with every single week on the exact same day maintenance happens at the exact same time. And every single week on that day the exact same complaint is made...by a European.

Now I have nothing at all against Europeans, hell I like some of them better than I like some Americans, but come on. We all know when the maintenance happens, and the same complaint week after week just gets old. Hence why it should be (if not already) in the list of FCTs.

Speaking as a Brit..I mean a European... I'll just leave this here :D
    server_hamster6.png
  • Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Can't believe there are still people playing this MMO...let alone some complaining about maintenance...worse trying to blame it on a "Americans" and discrimanation.

Would you rather have no maintenance? Imagine the number of bugs and server issues building up...also Cryptic is located at California North Bay...maybe they should choose other times to do maintenance I can give you that...but that would be paying "extra" for those employees coming at odd hrs. Don't think PWE nor Cryptic wants to overspend since they are here to make money. Before complaining on this issue understand how the real world operates. :D
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    lebtronlebtron Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Prime time is 7 to 11 (1900 to 2300). The Servers going down from 3-6 (1500 to 1800) is not European prime time. Like in the US, much of Europe has barely returned home from work by the time the Servers come back up.

Prime times starts at 1600 in my eyes, when kids return from school. And maintenance is 1600 to 1800 in germany, just summer time is shifting it for an hour now for a few weeks. And I am not even taking into account that down times get increased a few times.
    your forgetting the australians, those in russia and so on. unfortunately its the only place to put it, perhaps an hour or 2 earlier but thats not accounting for early morning for those in boston and those at cryptic who just started their mornings.

No, I am not forgetting anybody, I am just looking at the only numbers we have. Somebody will always be "discriminated" on regular maintenance of course. I just doubt its the least busy time at the moment. But maybe europeans do spend less money than others, players activity could be just one factor for that decision.
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nyxadrill wrote: »
    Speaking as a Brit..I mean a European... I'll just leave this here :D

Holy TRIBBLE you're right J....um Nyx! Why am I not drunk yet?? Oh wait kids...damn that woman and her 'charms' :D
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lebtron wrote: »
    Prime times starts at 1600 in my eyes, when kids return from school. And maintenance is 1600 to 1800 in germany, just summer time is shifting it for an hour now for a few weeks. And I am not even taking into account that down times get increased a few times.
    It does not matter what it is in "your eyes." 4 is not prime time. It is simple time. Prime time is when the majority of people from an area are on. Not when someone is on. :)

And the Servers should be up in around 25 minutes, which would be about 5:30 in Berlin.

Edit: Maintenance is done, 25 minutes early. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm european and while I agree it's annoying and they have possibility to rotate their maintenance times, I don't let it disturb me very much. I just find something else to do in the meantime.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    13 PM: Doing stuff

14 PM: Doing stuff x2

15 PM: Playing Driveclub

*STO servers are down*

16 PM: Playing Driveclub

17 PM: Playing Driveclub

*servers up*

18 PM: Break

19 PM: Doing stuff

bottom line: my interest in playing STO is zero, enough to not care about downtimes.

Is 13 PM 1 AM?
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    illoominartiilloominarti Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is 13 PM 1 AM?

for me it's PM.
  • Options
    x6460x6460 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think a few people still don't realize this. But, There are no European STO servers.

The Servers that STO runs on are located in Boston. 1267 North 44th st, Suite 11B Boston Ma, 44790.

So the downtime would be universal, wherever you might be. By my rough look at the ceiling math... I think it starts at 9 AM in Boston. Probably optimum wake up, & be at work hours for the server monkeys working there.

:)
    Finally decided to make a sig.
    I see allot of them with a character, and ship.
    though I'm not sure which ship to put on there...
    I'll think about it. This will do for now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    for me it's PM.

13 hours post meridian would be 2500 or 0100 (1 am).
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    it could be a lot worse the time out could start at 5pm in Europe and I am sure you would find this is actually when most European players actually start playing each day so be grateful for small mercies.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Now, I come to see, that maintenance takes the server down each week for multiple hours in European playing time.

Albeit that I understand there are a few more players on the American side, we Europeans are discriminated by this.

We pay the very same amount of money, but get far less playing time seen over a month, 8 hours, yearly this adds to 416 hours roughly, or 17.3'ish days less gaming time.

Why not implement a rotating time for the maintenances?
    I, as an European, find the current form not that friendly to us, your allies...

Thoughts?
    Remarks?
    Do share them, but keep it decent.
    Thank you.

The needs of the many outweigh the news of the few.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    stonermkiistonermkii Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    Oh no! I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply you were complaining, and I got the joke :) Lol I was just mentioning that not once have I seen a Nightshifter complain about the downtime. I wonder if they know they are also being discriminated against? Someone should really let them know!

Lol totally. Been working graveyard for almost 4 years now. But luckily i get off fairly early in the morning so the downtime really doesnt bother me too much. Got plenty of other games to play.
  • Options
    salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am an American that pays a premium for a sports package from a satellite TV provider. I pay this premium so that I can watch my beloved Manchester United. Sometimes, the games start locally at 11:45 am on normal work days. Because of this, I have to trade shifts so that I have those days off so that I can watch the games. These games normally start at 7-9 pm UK time. In EXTREME situations, I have to wake up at 5:30 or 6:00 am to watch their games. Is that discrimination towards Americans? No. It's the price of being interested in something that takes place on the other side of the world.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • Options
    wilai29#4617 wilai29 Member Posts: 95 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is whining for the whining.
    How about you shut up and and deal with it.

<- living in europe
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ...So, that I have a remark on having 17 days less gaming time per year...

I may be in the USA, but I work evenings and the patches always come as my time to game is starting out. But it doesn't mean I lose 17 days of gaming, that's just ludicrous. If you are losing 17 days of gaming time, so is EVERYONE else, even if it is time they wouldn't be normally playing.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If server maintenance is the worst thing that happens to you today, you're ahead of the game.
    There's people that wished that was their biggest problem.
  • Options
    smeeinn1tsmeeinn1t Member Posts: 618 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am an American that pays a premium for a sports package from a satellite TV provider. I pay this premium so that I can watch my beloved Manchester United. Sometimes, the games start locally at 11:45 am on normal work days. Because of this, I have to trade shifts so that I have those days off so that I can watch the games. These games normally start at 7-9 pm UK time. In EXTREME situations, I have to wake up at 5:30 or 6:00 am to watch their games. Is that discrimination towards Americans? No. It's the price of being interested in something that takes place on the other side of the world.

Yup, QFT.

I live in Europe and am a ice hockey fan/player, not many NHL games are "convenient" for me, never thought about whining about it tho...

Seriously OP, you're flogging a dead horse here. The reasonable and logical thing to do is get over it. Plus if you are at home most of the time then you probably get more time to play than those worldwide that that have work, kids, life schedules anyway.
    V9BQ6SM.gif
    "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." — Lazarus Long --->Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why do these come up every week?

Just sticky one of them, and then add the rest to the F.C.T...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    pupibirdpupibird Member Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    from germany here (country in europe, earth): our country is small enough to only have one timezone, that means for all of us here that the servers will be back online 1 or 2 hours after an average player with a reallife job came home from work...he/she now has some time to get a shower, get some food, talk to wife/husband/children (kids), prepare gaming corner with ashtray, sweets and drink of his/her choice, join the forum rant for some minutes and then go and kill some borg....so what is the problem?

Solution for free days from job:

Update your computers and malware apps, clean keyboard, backup your important files and such, afterwards:

get a shower, get some food, talk to wife/husband/children (kids), prepare gaming corner with ashtray, sweets and drink of his/her choice, join the forum rant for some minutes and then go and kill some borg

;)
  • Options
    dauntlessf05dauntlessf05 Member Posts: 268 Media Corps
    edited March 2015
    The idea was to have a rotating system, it could even be automated.
    Of course, if the system screws up something during the automated maintenance...

A possible way could have been to shift 6hours each time, giving each country the same downtime each month.

Then, I was just thinking out loud.

I thought I would shed a little light into how a typical maintenance would go. I work as a data center technician, and a lot of my tasks revolve around working with other departments to complete a maintenance.

This is not to say this is what the STO folks do, but is usually the best practice, and -always- involves having people involved to ensure things go smoothly (MMO bugs aside)

In the 2 to 3 hour, the first thing that normally happens, (even for a firmware or drive update) is an image is take of the entire server. This time can vary in time due to the size of what you are working with. For me, any access and Out Of Band connections are disconnected and a single connection is made to an imaging server. Then, the long long awaited part of twiddling your thumbs begin.

After that is complete, the patching portion takes place, (or whatever it is you are doing to the server). The time on the process often varies as well. For today it looks to be a 50Mb patch to the game, at least that's what popped of up for me. If there are no complications, all connections are restored, and the team ensures that all traffic is able to get in and out with no problems.

Again, I am not saying that this is how the STO Dev do their maintenance, but it would be near impossible to automate the process. In my instance, I work at a 24x7x365 facility so our maintenances can be done after our clients business hours. Unfortunately, the STO Dev team seems to work the standard 9-5 local time shift, and doing a rotating system is not viable for them.
    Check out my STO Cinematic Videos: ZEFilms Youtube Channel
    Follow me on Twitter: @ZEFilms_STO