test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A revealing observation about the Klingons

karmogkarmog Member Posts: 115 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Klingon Discussion
Note: I meant to say "on the Klingons".

As I became familiar with the Game of Thrones franchise, I realized that the Klingon Great Houses are very similar to the Great Houses of Westeros, such as House Baratheon and House Lannister.

From the Game of Thrones wiki on the Great House:
The Great Houses are the most powerful of the noble houses of the Seven Kingdoms. They exercise immense authority and power over their vassals and territories and are answerable only to the Lord of the Seven Kingdoms, King of the Andals and the First Men.

Of course, this concept was largely inspired by the English royal houses and their branches.

Notice that the Klingon wedding attire from DS9 looks quite medieval English in design.

Now, onto the meaning of the word Klingon:

• Open Google Translate and type the word "blade" in the left-side box.
  • Select "Danish" on the right and press the "listen" (speaker) icon.
  • Select "Dutch" on the right and notice "kling" as one of the translations.
  • Select "German" on the right and press the "listen" (speaker) icon.
  • Select "Polish" on the right and notice "klinga" as one of the translations.
  • Select "Russian" on the right and click the second word in the translations—notice the Latin spelling as "klinok" below the left-side box.
  • Select "Swedish" on the right and notice "klinga" as one of the translations.
  • Select "Ukrainian" on the right and click the first option in the noun list—notice the Latin spelling as "klynok" below the left-side box.

Finally, select "English" on the left, enter "Kahless" and click "Detect Language". Google detects it as "Zulu", which may or may not be accurate.

Interesting, wouldn't you say?
Post edited by karmog on

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's a fun little excercise, but it's not more than coincidence.

Klingons originally had a very different race design but kept the same name. When they changed that the inspiration came from nordic and feudal japanese culture. Having houses (clans), great houses (council), a shogun (chancellor) and a emperor (khaless) is almost a carbon copy of japan's sengoku-jidai era.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • amoroxicamoroxic Member Posts: 57 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Klingons were named after Lieutenant Wilbur Clingan, who served with Gene Roddenberry in the Los Angeles Police Department. Anything else is pure coincidence.
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    karmog wrote: »
    As I became familiar with the Game of Thrones franchise, I realized that the Klingon Great Houses are very similar to the Great Houses of Westeros, such as House Baratheon and House Lannister.

Which is probably because Game of Thrones and Star Trek are both lifting from history.

Most states with a significant history have had similar conflicts between regional / tribal leaders and a central authority, with a strong push towards central government only in the last couple of hundred years. Japanese, English and Norse inspirations have all been quoted as inspirations.

I mean, the current British state is rooted in a literal conflict between great houses - Yorks and Lancaster - which raged for decades and ended in the establishment of the Tudor English state.
  • karmogkarmog Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »

Klingons originally had a very different race design but kept the same name. When they changed that the inspiration came from nordic and feudal japanese culture. Having houses (clans), great houses (council), a shogun (chancellor) and a emperor (khaless) is almost a carbon copy of japan's sengoku-jidai era.

Sure, the writer Ronald D. Moore compared Klingons to "the Samurai of feudal Japan, the Vikings, and the Hell's Angels." However, unlike the Klingons in TNG: "Rightful Heir", the Sengoku period did not seek to reinstate a sovereign, it already had one in place. In fact, Kahless was reinstated to unite the Klingon people. By comparison, Sengoku period's unification happened through a shogun.

In addition, the Klingon wedding attire is evidence that is closer to medieval England than feudal Japan in design. The directors and the producers would have had enough control over such a significant detail. Therefore, it cannot be written off as a mere coincidence. Interestingly, DS9: "You Are Cordially Invited" was written by Ronald D. Moore.

Here are some more "coincidences":

• Patrick Stewart knighted by Queen Elizabeth II (with a Klingon bat'leth).
    • A Klingon Bird-of-Prey named the HMS Bounty—a reference to the Royal Navy.
    • William Shakespeare, a famous English poet, in relation to Klingons:
      By 2293, the works of Shakespeare were known to Klingons such as Chancellor Gorkon and General Chang. Gorkon stated that Shakespeare could only truly be experienced in "the original Klingon", and Chang quoted liberally from Shakespeare's plays.
      Kahless is quoted as saying "Great men do not seek power; they have power thrust upon them." This is a variation on a line from Shakespeare's Twelfth Night :"Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon them." This parallel may explain Chang's claim that the Bard was originally written in Klingon.

Say what you want but it paints a certain picture, which is more than just the comparisons already made.
    westmetals wrote: »
    Someone may have created the word simply by free association of sounds familiar to that group of languages.

Take a close look at the symbol of the Klingon Empire—three blades and a circle. Sometimes it's just three blades, but the symbol was created as early as TOS.

From TOS: "The Day of the Dove":
    KIRK: [ . . . ] The Klingon Empire has maintained a dueling tradition. They think they can beat us with swords.

A blade is an alternate name for a sword.

Notice that the TOS Klingon uniforms were made to appear as a combination of mail and cloth—fitting the medieval theme.

"The son of a Klingon is a man the day he can first hold a blade."—a Klingon proverb from TNG: "Ethics".

There's even a dedicated entry on Memory Alpha called Klingon blade weapons.

As you can see, the evidence tells a different story.
    The word "Klingon" is not necessarily what they call themselves, but rather a Federation (English) translation or reference word.

The spoken Klingon was developed only after the original series. Therefore, they could not have used it as a reference until then.
    During the 1840s through 1940s (I am not sure if the name continued in use after 1949)... speakers of Mandarin Chinese used Jin Shan (it literally means "Gold Mountain") as a placename - as if it were the name of a Chinese province - for a certain portion of a certain foreign country.

They called it that because of the gold rush in the area at the time. The locals used the word gold for gold. It doesn't contradict the translations from blade.
    amoroxic wrote: »
    Klingons were named after Lieutenant Wilbur Clingan, who served with Gene Roddenberry in the Los Angeles Police Department. Anything else is pure coincidence.

How do you think someone gets their family name? Take Dan Stahl, Cryptic's former EP for STO—his family name "Stahl" literally means "steel" in German. In fact, stahl is one of the possible English-to-German translations for blade, as in a steel blade.

They could have chosen a different person but they picked someone with the family name "Clingan", if such a person really existed. Otherwise, an alternate spelling of a family name is not unusual, while its origins point to one of the aforementioned languages in the translation. The evidence rules out a "pure coincidence" in this case.
    staq16 wrote: »
    The current British state is rooted in a literal conflict between great houses - Yorks and Lancaster - which raged for decades and ended in the establishment of the Tudor English state.

Of course, it is known that Game of Thrones was inspired by the Wars of the Roses.
  • themetalstickmanthemetalstickman Member Posts: 1,010 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Also that (although it is not presented this way in-game, it is in the 'Klingon language' audio and dictionaries) the word "Klingon" is not necessarily what they call themselves, but rather a Federation (English) translation or reference word. There are many cases, even in Earth history, of such outside references being quite far off from the 'insider' word...

Same thing with Romulans/Remans. IIRC Romulus and Remus are actually ch'Rihan and ch'Havran, respectively. Romulans are Rihannsu and Remans are Havrannsu. Romulan and Reman are simply the human names for them.
    Og12TbC.jpg

Your father was captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved 800 lives, including your mother's, and yours.

I dare you to do better.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Klingons and Romulans have changed considerably over the course of the IP's history.

The Klingons were originally a blend of Soviets and Mongols in TOS (amusing combo, BTW). In the movies until Undiscovered Country, they were simply aggressive brutes. TNG takes the movie appearances then provides the basic framework of what we know now of the Klingons. DS9 and such merely expanded upon it, especially DS9. The current iteration of the Klingons are a hybrid of Vikings, Samurai, and all the aggression associated with the 2.

The Romulans had an interesting series of changes in canon also. In TOS, they were displayed as an extremely aggressive people that one does not dare show weakness, for weakness invites further aggression from the Romulans. The warbird captain in "Balance of Terror" was shown to be a veteran, clever, competent leader but was tired of the wars and losses incurred by his comrades. But he carries out his duties as expected of a man of his rank and position. But we see from within his own ship and crew that aggression, more aggression, and glory was what ruled the Romulans. TNG flips the table. It sets the standard of what we take Romulans as these days: Clever, deceitful, isolationist.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »

Not only that, Martok's rise from a family of farmers to chancellor is kinda similar to Toyotomi Hideoyshi's rise to power during the Sengoku Jidai.
    karmog wrote: »
    Holy ****! I had no idea that she used a Bat'leth. That's so awesome.
    Is that still official, though? I guess it is since it's the Queen and she can do this however the hell she wants...
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mrspidey2 wrote: »
    Holy ****! I had no idea that she used a Bat'leth. That's so awesome.
    Is that still official, though? I guess it is since it's the Queen and she can do this however the hell she wants...

Nope, nope sorry but that's nonsense:

http://www.treksinscifi.com/trekdaily/pictures/2010-06-03_Sir_Patrick.jpg
  • opensorce3opensorce3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Also that (although it is not presented this way in-game, it is in the 'Klingon language' audio and dictionaries) the word "Klingon" is not necessarily what they call themselves, but rather a Federation (English) translation or reference word. There are many cases, even in Earth history, of such outside references being quite far off from the 'insider' word...

While, in current iterations of the Klingon Language (tlhIngan Hol) originated by James Doohan (RIP) and expounded upon by Marc Okrand, the self identifying term does in fact sound like "Klingon", it's origins are less than clear and may have been alien influenced.

In STII:WoK, Spock says to Saavik in Vulcan, "Kling akklami buffik, Saavik-kam" Meaning "No one is perfect, Saavik."

If the Vulcan word for "No one" or some substandard or undesirable thing is "Kling", this may have been the origin of a term which became widely used to refer to the Klingons. It may also give insight to general the Vulcan opinion of the Klingon people. To my knowledge, we have no definitive canon record of how long the Vulcans and the Klingon have been aware of each other.
    Petition to add fly from bridge feature. Please share!!
    Me: Did you read past the title? Posts about flying from the bridge are not allowed. They are prohibited.
    Game Master Urizor: Yes, and while I understand your suggestions, however, the forums is the best place to discuss suggestions. I apologize for the confusion.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    LMAO!!! :D :P Between this:

And this thread, I think tinfoil hat sales just skyrocketed. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    misterde3 wrote: »

I am baffled that some people even believed the bat'leth to be real. It doesn't even fit into the picture, it's a work done with ms paint, not even gimp or photoshop XD

But I guess some people want to believe very hard... :P
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou