test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romulan Facial Hair

mstone522mstone522 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
How can I create an Evil Version of my Romulan for Delta if I can't give him a goatee?
Post edited by mstone522 on

Comments

• thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Easiest way is probably to make an Alien looking like an Romulan (+ Goatee) ... if you already have an Romulan, I guess you can't ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mstone522 wrote: »
    How can I create an Evil Version of my Romulan for Delta if I can't give him a goatee?

not an ideal solution, but you could spring for the eyepatch
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015

I didn't know that Tal Shiar wore beards :D

I know it doesn't matter but in Star Trek Lore only the "evil" mirror Federation wore beards to distinguish them as evil vs their main stream.

Well that and the Klingons always had facial hair.
  • narthaisnarthais Member Posts: 452 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    another not so ideal solution if you happen to be a lifetime sub is making them liberated borg, some of the borgy bits can make a nice evil looking character.
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Make him the opposite in both height & build? Make him a Reman counterpart? From a world where Remans were dominant & Romulans were their slaves?
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    I know it doesn't matter but in Star Trek Lore only the "evil" mirror Federation wore beards to distinguish them as evil vs their main stream.

Mirror Spock had a goatee; Vulcans and Romulans are basically the same species.
    Vulcans are MEAN
    edited March 2015
    infydel wrote: »

Or I guess actually he had a type of beard the name of which is likely to trip the forum profanity filters.
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I want the goatee option too, but Spock doesn't count since he's half human.

Are there any examples of pure blooded Romulans or Vulcans with beards?
    edited March 2015

Yes but Vulcan was still a member of Mirror Federation... and they gave the Vulcans goatees for Mirror Federation to ensure you could tell the difference easily between mirror and normal Federation.

Romulans were almost always evil in the shows, and never had facial hair, at least not that I can remember. They were always clean shaven and assumed to be evil because they were Romulan.

I'd almost say make a Romulan "good" by giving them facial hair to distinguish from normal Romulans who were almost always portrayed as evil-ish.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Or I guess actually he had a type of beard the name of which is likely to trip the forum profanity filters.

How true. Hardly anyone anymore knows what a goatee actually is, what they think one is, is called a van d y k e. Wore one for years then had to shave it for work.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
    edited March 2015
    I want the goatee option too, but Spock doesn't count since he's half human.

That's true - but his half-brother Sybok was full Vulcan, and had a thick beard.

Edit:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sybok
    Vulcans are MEAN
    edited March 2015
    That's true - but his half-brother Sybok was full Vulcan, and had a thick beard.

Edit:
    http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Sybok

that sound you hear is the spontaneous appearance of a mighty Fortress of Nerditude.

I am unassailable within, but it is lonely and cold here.
    Vulcans are MEAN
    edited March 2015
    that sound you hear is the spontaneous appearance of a mighty Fortress of Nerditude.

I am unassailable within, but it is lonely and cold here.

Oh I agree that I think Vulcans and Romulans CAN grow beards... Vulcans grow one in the Mirror so I don't see why they can't grow one in the normal.

But show wise they don't for some reason... so making a Romulan "evil" doesn't require beards...
  • jrwithjrwith Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited March 2015

no they aren't not anymore, there was an episode of TNG where a Romulan needed a transfusion and none of the Vulcan crew were close enough to be a match in fact Worf was the best chance that Romulan had. So Romulans look similar but are more Klingon like blood type wise.
    edited March 2015
    jrwith wrote: »
    no they aren't not anymore, there was an episode of TNG where a Romulan needed a transfusion and none of the Vulcan crew were close enough to be a match in fact Worf was the best chance that Romulan had. So Romulans look similar but are more Klingon like blood type wise.

Leaving aside for a second that Vulcans and Romulans have copper-based blood, and Klingons don't*, and that therefore this transfusion couldn't possibly actually work: many people couldn't get blood transfusions from their actual siblings; it's really no indication of genetic similarity.

* since their blood is shown as red, purple, or pink (depending on which series/movie you're watching), not green, I feel comfortable making the assumption that it is radically different, chemically speaking,

The point I was making is that Vulcans are canonically capable of growing beards, and Romulans would be too. I stand by this conclusion and I will fight and crush anyone who disagrees.

Having established that I am right beyond all reasonable doubt, I have no choice but to violently support the OP's request for Romulan facial hair. Furthermore, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I said this would be the single greatest possible improvement to this or any other video game, and that Cryptic should hire extra staff to make this the highest possible priority change for the next version.
    Vulcans are MEAN
    edited March 2015
    OMG you guys there's actually an entire Memory Alpha article on beards, and it goes on for like two or three pages:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Beard

We may as well close this thread and all retire, we'll never equal that level of boring
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • nileight1nileight1 Member Posts: 249 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Too late...
    edited March 2015
    OMG you guys there's actually an entire Memory Alpha article on beards, and it goes on for like two or three pages:

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Beard

We may as well close this thread and all retire, we'll never equal that level of boring

Oh lord, now I have to read that too?
    signature.png
    edited March 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    Oh lord, now I have to read that too?

yes, it is mandatory I'm afraid.
    Vulcans are MEAN
    edited March 2015
    yes, it is mandatory I'm afraid.

Well I did read it, and had to correct it in a few places. They kept saying goatee when they meant van d y k e.
    signature.png
  • jrwithjrwith Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Leaving aside for a second that Vulcans and Romulans have copper-based blood, and Klingons don't*, and that therefore this transfusion couldn't possibly actually work: many people couldn't get blood transfusions from their actual siblings; it's really no indication of genetic similarity.

* since their blood is shown as red, purple, or pink (depending on which series/movie you're watching), not green, I feel comfortable making the assumption that it is radically different, chemically speaking,

The point I was making is that Vulcans are canonically capable of growing beards, and Romulans would be too. I stand by this conclusion and I will fight and crush anyone who disagrees.

Having established that I am right beyond all reasonable doubt, I have no choice but to violently support the OP's request for Romulan facial hair. Furthermore, I don't think I'm exaggerating when I said this would be the single greatest possible improvement to this or any other video game, and that Cryptic should hire extra staff to make this the highest possible priority change for the next version.

I never knew Klingon blood wasn't copper based, it doesn't undo the fact that episode exists.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/The_Enemy_%28episode%29