What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Perfect World Entertainment hit with potentially massive layoffs

13»

Comments

• thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    I'd be satisfied with absolutely no intervention/presence from Cryptic/PWE except for TOS issues.
    It makes sense for you. Smirk virtually ignored the forums, counting on volunteer Mods to deal with issues. BranFlakes was on the forum all the time - including nights and his weekends - trying to keep posters and threads in line.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    There is nothing obtuse with wanting to hear both sides of a story. On the contrary, asking for the other side of things may very well confirm what was posted. Nobody knows without hearing the whole story, not just one piece of it.

If you're inclined to take posts from anonymous people on the internet at face value, good for you. Don't begrudge those who like to have all the facts, not secondhand hearsay before making a decision.

a post regarding internal company policy and its ramifications on smirk and trendy posted by the former pwe community manager himself is hardly taking posts 'from anonymous people on the internet at face value' :rolleyes:

and yes, when one follows the sub-discussion that occurred within this thread that lead to the posting of smirks quote it does become readily apparent that you are going out of your way to be obtuse. ...unless you actually expect the product manager to pop in here and clear up your questions?

seriously.
  • jakal122481jakal122481 Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I hate to sound negative but I've seen many mmos close down from signs like this and this is prolly the beginning of the end of pwe and sto because the next layoffs that will probably happen is devs I mean look what happened to atari and test drive unlimited 2 eventually the devs got layed off and the game filled up with hackers and no content patches or anything but I really hope I'm wrong
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The most interesting threads dismiss both sides of the story to discuss the mating rituals of squid.

edit: Er, imho that is...
    Then there's the really good stuff. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Too much over reaction.

MMOs are hard to kill, many first gen MMOs are still running in maintenance mode, so at worst STO goes into the dirt cheap maintenance mode.

As for Smirk's story, I always thought the job was done poorly, but if it is as restrictive as claimed it wouldn't be shocking. Most management really excel at TRIBBLE people over, they know how to set policies that don't make any sense, then point the finger at the people who are forced to follow that policy.

That said, its really easy to find a "qualified" CM at any moment, you are living in the era of lazy stay at home employees
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nicha0 wrote: »
    Too much over reaction.

MMOs are hard to kill, many first gen MMOs are still running in maintenance mode, so at worst STO goes into the dirt cheap maintenance mode.

While i agree that layoffs wouldn't be a sign that the end is negih, Season 10 is bringing us the final battle with the Iconions, who have been the big bad behind everything.

this along with layoffs and no word about it can lead to doom threads.
    0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    While i agree that layoffs wouldn't be a sign that the end is negih, Season 10 is bringing us the final battle with the Iconions, who have been the big bad behind everything.

this along with layoffs and no word about it can lead to doom threads.

I've been nervous ever since the first leak about those Iconian designed ships - which turned out to be 100% correct.

I would say that we've been seeing a period of very heavy development lately, ever since DR. I guess my concern is that they wanted to finish everything up: sector space, season 10, then basically gut the staff.

On the other hand this Iconian war could go on for 3 seasons or more. Then maybe the alliance could break down and we fight amongst ourselves.

Except for maybe more temporal war stuff, even the dominion will be a huge letdown after killing the big bad.

I'm basically hoping we can keep playing into and maybe through 2016. Right now that feels like a longshot.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd compare it to you throwing a party amp at Nabreeki and him feeling upset that he's he's forced to dance to your tune. :P

How much ya wanna bet he ignores me from now on?

Either way... I still get a chuckle.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • ummaxummax Member Posts: 529 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I've been nervous ever since the first leak about those Iconian designed ships - which turned out to be 100% correct.

I would say that we've been seeing a period of very heavy development lately, ever since DR. I guess my concern is that they wanted to finish everything up: sector space, season 10, then basically gut the staff.

On the other hand this Iconian war could go on for 3 seasons or more. Then maybe the alliance could break down and we fight amongst ourselves.

Except for maybe more temporal war stuff, even the dominion will be a huge letdown after killing the big bad.

I'm basically hoping we can keep playing into and maybe through 2016. Right now that feels like a longshot.

unless your looking at the current development as sunsetting the game I dont think this is true. I must admit the most recent blog about the iconians etc etc feels almost like an end to a story which typically occurs if someone is looking at sunsetting a game, but we dont really know what they have planned beyond that blog lol

the layoffs is classic mmo layoffs so nothing new there. it happens when they release a game and finish a pile of work. The MMO industry does not guarantee job security its very volatile actually. They hire for a big development push and then lay half the teams off after the push is over.

The layoffs at cryptic seem rather minor actually (not that loosing ones job is a trivial issue..) for all we know the community manager position is a contracted position. Community positions like this come and go with the wind lol its not really anything alarming.
  • welcome2earfwelcome2earf Member Posts: 1,746 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I hate to sound negative but I've seen many mmos close down from signs like this and this is prolly the beginning of the end of pwe and sto because the next layoffs that will probably happen is devs I mean look what happened to atari and test drive unlimited 2 eventually the devs got layed off and the game filled up with hackers and no content patches or anything but I really hope I'm wrong

I think the layoffs already started with firing your punctuation marks.
    T93uSC8.jpg
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think the layoffs already started with firing your punctuation marks.

Comma, you've been made redundant. Question mark, am I going to have to let you go? Sorry, period. This pink slips for you.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• carlosbflycarlosbfly Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ummax wrote: »

the layoffs is classic mmo layoffs so nothing new there. it happens when they release a game and finish a pile of work. The MMO industry does not guarantee job security its very volatile actually. They hire for a big development push and then lay half the teams off after the push is over.

The layoffs at cryptic seem rather minor actually (not that loosing ones job is a trivial issue..) for all we know the community manager position is a contracted position. Community positions like this come and go with the wind lol its not really anything alarming.

True. If you look at MMO's and games in general, this is a very unfortunate pitfall of working in that industry. Once large projects/production blocks have been cleared, the staff needed for them go as well. It won't surprise me if they offer out Smirk's job to an agency. Cutting costs rather than keep him on full time now that DR is dusted.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,360 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You've got a point there, nabreeki. I've seen serious calls for a rollback as far as Season 2; folks like that probably wouldn't mind so much not getting any new content, because they never like it anyway.

Jon's Post, supplemental: Cancel what I put here - I misread val's post. My apologies.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • therealgurutherealguru Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    they have invested lately too many in new episodes, in bringing back the actors of the series so the game won't disappear.

there was a rumour some weeks ago that pwe could be bought by private, maybe it's the beginning.

or maybe simply pwe has notice all the anger since last modification of the game and is changing teams for futur.

but all those are rum
    My Dm videos - My Yt channel

My Wordpress Blog - Blogger

In Space, drinking or piloting, you must choose ! If you drink, put on the autopilot ;)
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    daveyny wrote: »
    I find it interesting that even Smirk sort of admits that BranFlakes was better at the job than the new manager is.

I'm also curious as to what Brandon did to incur nebriki's wrath.
    It's pretty obvious from his posts that BranFlakes somehow got under his skin and he's still a bit bitter about it.

<shrug>

I was wondering the same thing. BranFlakes was also into trek whereas Smirk was not. Branflakes enthusiasm and friendly personality made him great for the job whereas with Smirk it felt like he was just reading off promotional ads for STo and didn't really care for Star Trek or STo. To each his own I guess in terms of CM's.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • wildweasalwildweasal Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    CO has essentially been in maintenance mode for the last 5 years. It's still kicking.

You know it's funny I totally forgot about champions online I mean do people really still play that game? How's it hanging on??? Does it have a player base or it or is this just a misconception that I'm having that the player base is like five people in the fifth person is just a hand puppet
    3ondby_zpsikszslyx.jpg
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Sun rising each day leads to doom threads on these forums. :rolleyes:
    That or butterflies flapping their wings.
    wildweasal wrote: »
    You know it's funny I totally forgot about champions online I mean do people really still play that game? How's it hanging on??? Does it have a player base or it or is this just a misconception that I'm having that the player base is like five people in the fifth person is just a hand puppet
    Um, I do... :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    I was wondering the same thing. BranFlakes was also into trek whereas Smirk was not. Branflakes enthusiasm and friendly personality made him great for the job whereas with Smirk it felt like he was just reading off promotional ads for STo and didn't really care for Star Trek or STo. To each his own I guess in terms of CM's.

I don't know whether or not he cared about STO in general, but he seemed to like Star Trek as much as the rest of us as far as I could tell

The reason he's captain smirk cuz... he tends to sound very sarcastic a lot of times, hard to tell what is genuine emotion
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • tehbubbalootehbubbaloo Member Posts: 2,003 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, it kind of is just that. But whatever.
    no, it is not. the former pwe community manager posting about management dictating when things will be announced and dropping the ball in that task is nothing like 'second-hand hearsay' nor is it taking 'posts from anonymous people on the internet at face value'. your insistence that it is has well and truly crossed the line into intellectual dishonesty.

I'm not trying to be obtuse at all, just re-iterate that not all the facts are available to determine what the problem really was.

Could it be as some have suggested (and what was posted) that the issue was management? Of course. Could it be that Smirk was (as many suggested as well) completely incompetent and didn't perform his assigned duties? Of course.

The point (which seems to be lost on you) is that no one can answer that for sure without having all the facts.

A friend and former co-worker of mine was telling me today how they are going through a series of layoffs where he works. Those people being let go will most likely say it's because of bad managers. The company will say they are letting go the poor performers. Which version is correct?

If you want to call hearing all the info obtuse, then so be it. You're misunderstanding the meaning of the word though.
    my intention was not to absolve smirk of all responsibility, but to both address mirrorchaos' request for something to substantiate claims that smirk may not have been fully in control of the operations here (hands tied), and to also give credence to swamarian and dareau, each having recalled smirks post yet hadnt provided a quote.

and if you are not being wilfully obtuse, meaning intentionally going out of your way to 'not understand' how smirks post is anything more than second-hand hearsay from an anonymous person on the internet, then... what would you call it? cos where i come from it would be more likely to be viewed as legitimate testimony than 'hearsay' or 'anonymous'.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i dont understand the logic behind this , though i feel as a CM Trevor was entertaining while CMs in games do come and go , normally they leave of there own accords , never known of one to be laid off . The games direction seems off and i dont think thats anything to do with CMs and ill leave it at that .
  • pwlaughingtrendypwlaughingtrendy Member Posts: 2,966 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Relevant

Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.