test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

'Newbie' Inquiry

dovazaandovazaan Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited March 2015 in The Academy
Ahoy me mateys!

So I'm a little confused/unsure about what exactly to do.
I'm coming back after a solid many years of not playing. (Played at launch for about a year or so) Thus I'm sure so much has changed it'll pretty much be 'a new game' after a point.

Now I can hands down say my favourite thing to fly is the 'Bellerophon'/Long range Science Vessel Retrofit (LRSVR). Can I still fly that if I make a Romulan Character aligned with the feds? or do I need to just make a flat out fed character. (I've solidly also spent $300 in the then 'C-Store' on the NX-01, and heaps of other stuff)
Is there a Tier Limit on what Rommies can fly of there respected Ally? (the 'fleet variants' of ships are completely 'new' to me)
Is the Fed UI still the most hated?
Is the LRSVR still 'viable' to fly or will I get strange looks from people in all the shiny new stuff?/limited guild/fleet OPS opportunities?

Also, out of curiosity, How many Aussie/strayan' folk play STO?

Cheers peeps!
Post edited by dovazaan on

Comments

• decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If the ship is T5 and up, so any ship gained at 40 counts as T5, it is not available for RR characters. For them the only ships are either the cross faction ones or romulan only.
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    dovazaan wrote: »
    Ahoy me mateys!

So I'm a little confused/unsure about what exactly to do.
    I'm coming back after a solid many years of not playing. (Played at launch for about a year or so) Thus I'm sure so much has changed it'll pretty much be 'a new game' after a point.

Now I can hands down say my favourite thing to fly is the 'Bellerophon'/Long range Science Vessel Retrofit (LRSVR). Can I still fly that if I make a Romulan Character aligned with the feds? or do I need to just make a flat out fed character. (I've solidly also spent $300 in the then 'C-Store' on the NX-01, and heaps of other stuff)
    Is there a Tier Limit on what Rommies can fly of there respected Ally? (the 'fleet variants' of ships are completely 'new' to me)
    Is the Fed UI still the most hated?
    Is the LRSVR still 'viable' to fly or will I get strange looks from people in all the shiny new stuff?/limited guild/fleet OPS opportunities?

Also, out of curiosity, How many Aussie/strayan' folk play STO?

Cheers peeps!

Others have mentioned but no if you play a Romulan you won't be able to use the LRSVR. In fact Romulans don't really have a great science vessel so if you insist on flying a science vessel stick with the feds or even the klinks.

The entire UI has gone through a refit... and if you don't like the color you can change it in your options page... even to other faction UI colors.

As for the LRSVR still being viable... I'd personally upgrade it to a fleet and a T-5u... but even if you don't it's still viable. As westmetals has said my T-6 pathfinder can look exactly like my T-5u Intrepid if I wanted to... and no one would know the difference.

In fact there isn't a ton of difference between the pathfinder and the old LRSVR now that it has a secondary deflector. Yes the Pathfinder is better... but not so much that it totally invalidates the LRSVR... you just at the minimum need to upgrade it to T-5u.
  • dovazaandovazaan Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ladymyajha wrote: »
    Others have mentioned but no if you play a Romulan you won't be able to use the LRSVR. In fact Romulans don't really have a great science vessel so if you insist on flying a science vessel stick with the feds or even the klinks.

The entire UI has gone through a refit... and if you don't like the color you can change it in your options page... even to other faction UI colors.

As for the LRSVR still being viable... I'd personally upgrade it to a fleet and a T-5u... but even if you don't it's still viable. As westmetals has said my T-6 pathfinder can look exactly like my T-5u Intrepid if I wanted to... and no one would know the difference.

In fact there isn't a ton of difference between the pathfinder and the old LRSVR now that it has a secondary deflector. Yes the Pathfinder is better... but not so much that it totally invalidates the LRSVR... you just at the minimum need to upgrade it to T-5u.

Thanks for the replies guys! STO's been downloading/patching so I've yet to make a character though it looks like I'll be rollin' a fed!

Out of curiosity, can the Pathfinder use the Ablative Armour console?
    edited March 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    Yes; in fact, it has a new console which makes a 3-pc set with that and the console from the other Intrepid version. Using 2 or 3 of the pieces gets you additional "set" bonuses on top of the effects of the individual consoles.

For endgame... if this is where you're going... I would fly either the Pathfinder or a Retrofit T5U (Fleet if you can get it, but I think it's one of the ships that requires a fleet with a maxed out starbase). Just an FYI on the T5U - a single upgrade requisition will affect both the Retrofit and the Fleet Retrofit.

As this post says yes you can... but for pure optimal reasons the set bonus isn't all that great to really want to put the abalative armor console on it... but now we're getting into theory craft and min/maxing which isn't really a part of this conversation yet.
    edited March 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    True from that POV. The Ablative Armor console is very good (as is the Nadeon, actually, in fact) if you are running the LSRV as an all-projectile build (when activated, the AA disables energy weapons but not projectile weapons). Which also has its advantages on the BOFF side of things (being able to minimize weapons power since projectiles aren't affected by power settings).

If you are running a more traditional build (energy weapon dominant), I'd probably leave off all three. A triple-omni build is a pretty decent option for any science ship.... if you do not mind AP.

I would argue that the aeroshuttle is useful even without the set... if you have the room...

Most of the consoles are all theorycraft and which lockbox and fleet consoles you have access too at any given time as awell as what type of build you tend to put on it... yadda yadda yadda..

But yes on a pure projectile build it can certainly be useful... but I wouldn't take away any part gen or aux power boosters.
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the one upside of the AA I've found so far is that even on an underbuilt ship, it can take the full brunt of the CE's energy pulse.

The fun part of the Pathfinder is even though it's T6, in can use the lower level ship parts. So you can fly a top level Bellerophon if you so chose, or show up looking like a vanilla Intrepid and confuse everyone.

The only top level Fed ship a Rommie can fly is the T5 basic Ambassador-class. The ship was released as the reward for the Year 3 event, before the Romulans were created. A few months ago, they gave the ship out as a "C-store free giveaway week" ship. However, because it was never a true C-store ship, it did not have the codding to prevent a Fed ROM from using it.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)