Install Arc

Rumor: Layoffs hit PWE

Comments

• ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    when are Q4 earnings announced
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    this is the catch for me, with smirk gone is there someone even worse to take over from smirk? while i think it is good that smirk is gone because i havent seen anything good coming from smirk since brandon left, but if smirk is going to be taken over by someone even worse...

lets see what the facts are first before seeing if the rumor mill is grinding its own cogs.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    You can't blame them. It's unfortunate that some people need to lose their jobs, but it is what it is.

Yeah, you can blame them, Blame them for not going to the source of the problem which is poor management.
    STO has such great potential, Delta Rising had such high potential, but instead it got screwed up with things like the whole T5-U fiasko and the massive early XP nerfs early on amongst other things.
  • senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    None of which has ANYTHING to do with Smirk.

Whilst I would rather read that no-one is to lose their job, I can't help but think that if anyone does it should be the underperformers and bad decision-makers.

I never said or implied it did.
    But his and other devs layoffs are quite likely a consequence of DR's poor performance. Sadly huge corporations like PWE just don't give a damn, all they care about is exclusively the bottom dollar.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Whilst I would rather read that no-one is to lose their job, I can't help but think that if anyone does it should be the underperformers and bad decision-makers.

It likely got into the common thing that can happen out there.

Tom: Hrmm, we have a #1 and a #2. What are we paying #1 and #2?
    Jerry: Mumbles some numbers.
    Tom: Could #2 do #1's job?
    Jerry: Mumbles an answer.
    Tom: Okay then, let #1 go and give #2 a new title.
    Jerry: #2, er, #1 has left for another job.
    Tom: Oh?
    Jerry: Mumbles the details.
    Tom: Give the responsibilities to the #1 from that other game and a new title.
    Jerry: #1 just gave notice they're leaving.
    Tom: Oh, another one?
    Jerry: Mumbles the details.
    Tom: Jerry, you there? Hello? Anybody?
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited March 2015

None of that has anything to do with Miller as well.
    However, when you think about it - it's been the "Cryptic way" of doing things all the way along. If something people want to be done or needs to be done, it's a safe bet they'll do the exact oposite and then try to PR spin it into something awesome like politicians.
    I'm almost sure soon enough we'll see a PR release stating that "while we're letting go of top talent, we're sure it will improve the overall quality of the game".
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited March 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Sorry, but Smirk was leagues better than Bran "Let me plaster my face over everything" Flakes. Smirk was much more low key in the personality cult department, but Bran was a control freak that had to have everything revolve around him so he could bask in the praise and admiration of mindless STO players. Good riddance to Bran, good luck to Smirk.

Bran didn't grab ankle for Dental. Odds are, by the end of the year, you'd find yourself saying good riddance to Trev as well...he was still navigating the political waters regarding Dental.
    edited March 2015
    "Political waters regarding Dental?" LOL. Thanks, I needed a good laugh. :)

Hey, the wallet was running a little light when it came time to get my new tinfoil hats; so I ordered some off of eBay and forgot to check US only. ;)
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I feel no love-loss for Smirk being gone - assuming he is. I felt he was incompetent at his job. He did not keep us properly informed and I never felt he was passing on our information to the Devs. We were going to other Cryptic forums to get information and that should never happen.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Heh...

Trendy closed down the other thread to squelch the rumor mill...

Looks like that worked.

:rolleyes:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
    edited March 2015
    I just thought it utterly hilarious that anyone would even remotely believe Dental has any kind of political influence here.

Heh, then you would have dug my first word choice before I changed it...I was going with "treacherous waters"...lol.

But yeah, there's something that could be done there...having mentioned the tinfoil hat part. It's a global conspiracy, where the Dentacles (Dental Tentacles) have reached the highest levels of Perfect World...and as Trevor was showing less and less patience for their shenanigans, something had to be done!

What?

That theory should fit in with all the theories folks have out there about Cryptic/PWE wanting nobody to play the game that keep getting brought up there...that Cryptic's plan is to fail. :rolleyes:

Then again, I think my conspiracy's something The Asylum could at least make a movie out of...heh.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Then again, I think my conspiracy's something The Asylum could at least make a movie out of...heh.
    And the plot is foiled by a plucky telephone installer and a crusty old weatherman! (Don't forget that staple of Asylum films - the heroes are always two people with absolutely no connection to the problem at hand, because experts in the field are either incompetent of part of the Conspiracy.)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • starfish1701starfish1701 Member Posts: 782 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm very sorry to hear this.

Best wishes for the future to everyone affected, and I hope you're able to get all the moral support and assistance you need to move you on from this, and into another job that you enjoy.
  • wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Heh, then you would have dug my first word choice before I changed it...I was going with "treacherous waters"...lol.

But yeah, there's something that could be done there...having mentioned the tinfoil hat part. It's a global conspiracy, where the Dentacles (Dental Tentacles) have reached the highest levels of Perfect World...and as Trevor was showing less and less patience for their shenanigans, something had to be done!

What?

That theory should fit in with all the theories folks have out there about Cryptic/PWE wanting nobody to play the game that keep getting brought up there...that Cryptic's plan is to fail. :rolleyes:

next event to come: day of the dentacle ;) :rolleyes:...
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    wast33 wrote: »

Lol. .

On a more serious note I do hope this does not impact the game in anyway but the norm.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    wast33 wrote: »
    Coming soon from Asylum Films...

...the horror that strikes from hiding...

...dancing at funerals...

...throwing balloons in secure military headquarters...

...erasing unsuspecting people from the rolls of the employed...

Day of the Dentacle!!

"You'll never look at a dentist the same way again!" - Peoria, IL, Daily Fishwrap

"What the hell did I just watch?" - Entertainment Weekly

"Are you... are you on drugs??" - Nabreeki's Family Intervention
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited March 2015
    Technically speaking, wouldn't this post be considered "discussing forum moderation"? :D

Only if he was talking about the forums. ;)
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Technically speaking, wouldn't this post be considered "discussing forum moderation"? :D

It is but due to the moderators being laid off there is no one to close this thread too.
    edited March 2015
    It is but due to the moderators being laid off there is no one to close this thread too.

Have you ever lurked around some of the other PWE/Cryptic game forums? They make us look like we love our admins/mods by comparison.
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No, there are still volunteer mods, and LaughingTrendy, who if this is true, is doubtless overworked right now. The staff wasn't even big enough as it was...at the very least more volunteer mods are necessary by far.

Boy...I had no idea this was even possibly going on when I posted my thread about the dev tracker being broken again. I do hope that if true, Smirk got to leave on his own terms.

Now, this other one that is being discussed (Mark Miller)...what was his forum username? I know it may have been posted but I have missed it as I reread the thread.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.