test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would this have been... preferred?

flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
Three Factions (fully fledged, individual and unique) in the Federation (naturally), an Imperial Empire (I'll explain this in a minute) and (instead of the Republic), the Dominion? The Dominion would play a more antihero role alike the current KDF, and not the villainous role as they came across in the series.

Starfleet - The United Federation of Planets:
- Human
- Andorian
- Tellarite
- Vulcan
- Caitian (c-store)
- Saurian (c-store)
- Rigelian (c-store)
- Trill
- Bajoran
- Bolian

The Imperial Defense Force:
- Klingon
- Talarian
- Nausicaan
- Na'kuhl (I'd create a [possibly temporal] story element that places these guys with the Empire)
- Tzenkethi (c-store)
- Gorn (c-store)

To explain the IDF; The current title to the Red Team is the Klingon Defense Force, when in actuality, it isn't a Klingon Defense Force, but a defense force for the Klingon Empire. It consists of numerous species, one of which is definitely not subjects to the Klingon ranks; the Orion Syndicate. I would simply have generalized the term somewhat, if only to be pedantic.

The Dominion Alliance:
- Vorta
- Jem Hadar
- Karemma
- Dosi
[I know the two below aren't official members of the Dominion, but since the Dominion surrendered and went back to Gamma, I'd write that other species joined their ranks]
- Wadi (c-store)
- Paradan (c-store)

The Founders would not, nor should they ever be considered to be playable. They'd serve only alike Quinn and J'mpok.

Romulans and Cardassians would be purchasable via the C-Store and available to all factions; their ships would have been reserved for the Lock Boxes (yes, I know they're controversial, but at the end of the day, they're a solid source of income for Cryptic, and without that income, the game wouldn't be here to play).

I know this isn't going to happen, and I'm not expecting Cryptic to rewrite their game. I'm just asking whether this setup (or something similar to it) would have been preferable to the current setup.
attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
Post edited by flash525 on

Comments

• walligigwalligig Member Posts: 308 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Here is the thing. The Romulans are one of the 3 major powers that have been present in every incarnation of Star trek. The Dominion were only ever seen in Deep Space Nine. Replacing the Romulans with the Dominion wouldn't make much sense especially to those who have not scene DS9. I'm not going to argue that a Dominion faction would not be cool because it definitely would, just not at the expense of the Romulans.

I like your Idea on the Imperial Defense force though. Well except for the Gorn being a C-store race.
    sstosig2.png
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    you had me at imperial!

Claiming this one pissant planet is th e Romulan Republic is like the US calling the tiny island of Taiwan China in the 1950s while ignoring the giant land mass.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • baconmaesterbaconmaester Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic showed us with LoR that theyre not capable of introducing a new Faction. Or that theyre able to maintain it in the manner they do the Feds.

Im not sure if its because they dont have the manpower or if theyre just lazy. Maybe its both.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    walligig wrote: »
    Here is the thing. The Romulans are one of the 3 major powers that have been present in every incarnation of Star trek. The Dominion were only ever seen in Deep Space Nine.
    Aye, and I see your argument here. My reasoning though, would be the current state of the Romulan species (as a whole); both the Federation and Klingon Empire are a force to be reckoned with. The remnants of the Romulan Star Empire are not. Ever since Romulus went boom, their Empire became dysfunctional, and even D'Tans Republic isn't anywhere near the desired size to be of force; their strength, where the current story lies, is in their alliance between the Federation and Klingon factions.
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Here is the thing: Cryptic quite frankly doesn't have the resources or manpower to implement any of that. I highly doubt we are going to be on the receiving end of any major new content anytime soon.
    Cryptic showed us with LoR that theyre not capable of introducing a new Faction. Or that theyre able to maintain it in the manner they do the Feds.
    Please read my last paragraph; I'm not asking, nor expecting any of this to happen. I'm merely asking whether people would have preferred that to what we currently have. :)
  • colonelchenchuancolonelchenchuan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    I'm merely asking whether people would have preferred that to what we currently have. :)

we made it VERY clear in Beta that we hated the "Republic" and 1/2 faction.

The point is that they are lazy. They just wanted to create 2 versions and not 3

And now this year its all about making everyone the same faction so they just create 1 version.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would have preferred one faction.
    Two factions are too hard for cryptic.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I would have personally preferred the option to go Imperial Romulan in addition to Fed or KDF if they had to keep the "fraction" element.

Really I would have wanted Romulans only go Republic or Imperial (ex-Tal Shiar after all is more or less said and done) if they were maintained as a 3rd proper faction (at least, enough to match KDF for some in-faction drama, as well as having their own Fleet Holdings).

With the unique bit to taking the Imperial path is Adapted versions of the regular Republic line-up, which would feature bonus passive hull healing/repair rates, and include the old and fancier Leahval Scimitar skin with purchase of the Imperial Romulan Pack or the Scimitar Bundle.

Simply because it would have been nice to possibly end up being one of those Romulans who might be Tal Shiar at some point, but find Hakeev too extreme even for their standards, and basically clean them up from within; maybe ditching the Tal Shiar name while still remaining a high level Imperial Romulan. While they don't see eye-to-eye with the Republic, they would at least work alongside them to deal with the Iconians, who's been TRIBBLE with your fellow Imperial Romulans, thus coming to a reluctant alliance in Surface Tension.

To make the Imperial side more interesting even as a fraction; have them able to randomly join any faction Fleet Alert (KDF or Fed), under the excuse of a favor or something, or in a twist, their Fleet Alert is attacking a heavily NPC guarded Starbase that's actively calling in reinforcements faster than enemy reinforcements do in the regular Fleet Alert.

As well, an optional Fleet Alert PvP queue to go head-to-head as the Attackers vs the Defenders. Imperial Rom players vs a random Fed or KDF Starbase and its player defenders, with the Imperials having the added advantage of having supporting Imperial Romulan attack waves. 5v5 and same spawn time limits as a regular Fleet Alert.
  • sysil84sysil84 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This never made sense to me. If the Romulan Star Empire was so small and weak that the loss of one planet, even their homeworld, bought them to their knees and rendered them an endangered species then they can never have been a force to be reckoned with in the first place.

*Snip*

The writers need to get a sense of scale.

The writers did a good job contrary to what you think. What you don't understand is that the Romulans did not become weak overnight.

Let's see what happened between when Romulus exploded and 2409:
    - Years of in-fighting between Romulan factions trying to take control
    - The Reman rebellion. Logically other subjugated races would have risen up also but we don't see that in STO
    - The Klingons taking a portion of their territory

If you take this into account, it does make sense that the Romulans are weak in 2409.

To the OP, I say I vastly prefer the Romulans to the Dominion as a faction, even if the Romulans are a half-faction. They are in the middle of the action, not forced to pass through a wormhole to interact with the powers of the Alpha/Beta quadrants. Anyways Romulan Trek lore is much more established than a power that's only been in one series.
  • chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Before the explosion didn't they go through years on infighting after shinzon?

In all honesty, the romulans star empire should be the biggest province in the kdf empire by now.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    No, it would have been preferred to skip the WoWesque factionalization and have the Federation, Klingons and Romulans fight the badniks of the galaxy side-by-side like in the Dominion war.

Sure, write the Federation-Klingon war into the missions, its an interesting storyline and gives us an excuse to shoot Starfleet/Klingon ships, but in the "present" time of the social zones we should have a single united playerbase. You need only look at the KDF-exclusive queue mission numbers to see why.

Hopefully they didn't code the "factions are at war" too deeply into the game so we could actually have stuff like cross-faction teams, fleets, etc eventually now that the war is officially over.

And I wouldn't mind being able to do ALL the episode missions with a single character, even if the "wrong faction" ones would have to be explained as historical reenactments on the holodeck.
  • quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    the problem Cryptic faces is the popularity of the IP and the Metrics . any mmo that has a strong IP that is influenced in movies ,TV ETC, is that majority of players want to be that HERO faction .which skews the Metrics .
    if STO wasnt a Trek game , but a 2 or three faction generic Sci fi the metrics would most likely show a different break down of the factions , and based on the shineys and how they played would be entirely different . and there might even be a reversal of metrics we see here in STO . or more evenly balanced .
    edited March 2015
    we made it VERY clear in Beta that we hated the "Republic" and 1/2 faction.
    In their defense here, nobody knew it was a mini faction until it was well underway. At the point they revealed this information to us, it was no doubt far too difficult for them to go back and change everything (though I'm sure if someone waved enough money in front of them, they would have done). I do remember the backlash though, I remember that very well, and a lot of people, myself included, weren't very happy with them.
    The point is that they are lazy.
    I don't know if I'd consider them lazy, cause they're always working on something. They are however ... I don't quite know the word for it, but it has become apparent to me that they couldn't care less about the Republic faction anymore; you can see that in the mess they've left it. Unless I'm mistaken, the only thing the Republic has had more of in the last 9-12 months is ships.
    This never made sense to me. If the Romulan Star Empire was so small and weak that the loss of one planet, even their homeworld, bought them to their knees and rendered them an endangered species then they can never have been a force to be reckoned with in the first place. It's as silly as saying if DC was nuked the US would be as good as destroyed. One world, even the homeworld, to a large interstellar empire is just like a capital city to a large nation in the real world. Sure there would be political chaos, but the bulk of the strength of the Empire should remain.
    Whilst the Romulans were an Empire, they were very homeland focused. The loss of their homeworld to the Romulans would have meant more than the loss of DC to America. After Romulans blew, there was infighting and a power struggle; the Romulan people were fractured, they had no distinct leadership, some worlds wished to break away and live more peacefully, others did not. I don't know where the idea came from that they were ever close to extinction, that much is absurd.
    sysil84 wrote: »
    To the OP, I say I vastly prefer the Romulans to the Dominion as a faction, even if the Romulans are a half-faction. They are in the middle of the action, not forced to pass through a wormhole to interact with the powers of the Alpha/Beta quadrants. Anyways Romulan Trek lore is much more established than a power that's only been in one series.
    If Cryptic could have introduced the Romulans as we knew them from TNG & DS9, then I would agree with you, but they didn't, they set their whole universe up around the supernova event. What they could (or should?) have done is written their own timeline, and started said timeline from the ST:Nemesis film and in turn completely avoiding the supernova incident - as if it never even took place.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The writers did a good job contrary to what you think. What you don't understand is that the Romulans did not become weak overnight.

Let's see what happened between when Romulus exploded and 2409:
    - Years of in-fighting between Romulan factions trying to take control
    - The Reman rebellion. Logically other subjugated races would have risen up also but we don't see that in STO
    - The Klingons taking a portion of their territory

If you take this into account, it does make sense that the Romulans are weak in 2409.

Yeah, it wasn't just A civil war it was several! That's why the RSE crumbled their leaders were too busy fighting for control to fix the problems they were having.

Then when the fighting stopped, the ragged scraps left over STILL weren't united, and many had either been conquered by the Klingons, jumped ship, or in a few cases were wiped out in the fighting. Also, the Tal Shiar/Sela had help from outside forces(Hirogen and Elachi) and weren't backed by most Romulans, but they won and basically subjugated the RSE. The current RSE is almost like an undead shell of it's former self.

I want the Dominion because Vorta are awesome, and It'd be great to be able to explore the Gamma Quadrant.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sysil84sysil84 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    If Cryptic could have introduced the Romulans as we knew them from TNG & DS9, then I would agree with you, but they didn't, they set their whole universe up around the supernova event. What they could (or should?) have done is written their own timeline, and started said timeline from the ST:Nemesis film and in turn completely avoiding the supernova incident - as if it never even took place.

+1

Not a fan of JJverse and what it did to my favorite ST villain race, the Romulans.
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like having the Dominion as a faction

but the Dominion Alliance doesn't right

Just call them The Dominion
    They have multiple races under their control, besides their genetically created ones
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
    edited March 2015
    I want the Dominion because Vorta are awesome, and It'd be great to be able to explore the Gamma Quadrant.
    You must be one of the few that want Vorta over Jem'Hadar. :P
    Not a fan of JJverse and what it did to my favorite ST villain race, the Romulans.
    I honestly don't mind the JJfilms, it provided a much needed reboot, though there's no reason that what happened in the prime universe from the films perspective needed to happen here.
    the Dominion Alliance doesn't right

Just call them The Dominion
    I just figured after x number of years, and with all they've [potentially] learned from Odo, they may have changed their... process?
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Jemhadar bore me.

Also... changing their methods and motives doesn't require them to change their name :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah, it wasn't just A civil war it was several! That's why the RSE crumbled their leaders were too busy fighting for control to fix the problems they were having.

Then when the fighting stopped, the ragged scraps left over STILL weren't united, and many had either been conquered by the Klingons, jumped ship, or in a few cases were wiped out in the fighting. Also, the Tal Shiar/Sela had help from outside forces(Hirogen and Elachi) and weren't backed by most Romulans, but they won and basically subjugated the RSE. The current RSE is almost like an undead shell of it's former self.

If we look at Romulan history starting at Nemesis (2379), we got a Coup that followed with an unpopular Praetor (Tal'Aura) this led to the partitioning of the Empire (RSE, Imperial Romulan State, Reman Resistance, and Independent Romulan Colony Worlds).

In the years leading up to Hobus, there was further infighting between the Tal Shiar, the Navy, and Noble Houses)

In the years after Hobus, the KDF invaded and for the next ten years, there was constant fighting in Romulan space. By the time of STO, there was another Civil War going on between Praetorian forces (Taris and her Reman mercenaries) vs Imperial forces (Sela, Tal Shiar, Elachi, and Hirogen mercenaries), concurrently, there was the Imperial-Colonial War, where Imperial forces were conquering independent colony worlds.

Pre-Cryptic gutting of the Romulan storyline, the UFP intervenes in Romulan space leading to the complete defeat of Imperial at Rator III and Praetorian forces at Iconia, Romulan system with the rise of the Romulan Republic. After the gutting, all that was replaced with Sela's revenge, and left out the reason why Hirogen and Remans roaming Romulan space.
  • catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Eh, all that plot stuff about the Romulan Empire being weakened by infighting and all that rests on the shoulders of Cryptic at least as much as JJ for blowing up Romulus in the first place.

They could have just as easily had written a story about the Romulans entering another xenophobic and isolationist phase as a result of that disaster (see, this we got for reaching out to the Federation!). Their society could have found itself even more united in the face of adversity.

Heck, even the path to 2409, which spends a lot of the time its spends on the Romulans weakening them-pretty much says that it looks like the Romulan Star Empire is coming back into its strength thanks to Sela, and that the future looks bright(ish) for the Empire....but they retconned a lot of that with Legacy of Romulus.

If they could have retconned all of that to make the Empire a worse place than it already was in their narrative, they surely could have gone in the opposite direction.

Just look at the Republic-it went from not existing at all in the story of STO to being a power ostensibly on par with the Federation and Klingon Empire. Cryptic could have just as easily have had that be the Star Empire, and it would have been more plausible, too.

TL;DR- The 'fault' of us players getting the Republic instead of the Empire can't be laid entirely at the feet of JJ. He might have royally screwed over Romulan fans by blowing up their homeworld, but Cryptic decided where to take them afterwards. I wouldn't give them any praise for it, they rewrote their society to squeeze a few more bucks out of the fans. And now they have left the faction out to dry.

Romulans should sensibly be the third faction in any Trek game that already has at least the federation and Klingons, but considering how they have treated the ROmulans so far, can't say I'd be terribly enthused at the idea of a Dominion or Cardassian faction-particularly considering they have already shown they lack the nerve to make a villain/antihero faction with the Romulans....they don't have what it takes to do it jsutice.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    you had me at imperial!

Claiming this one pissant planet is th e Romulan Republic is like the US calling the tiny island of Taiwan China in the 1950s while ignoring the giant land mass.

The OP wasn't referring to the Romulan Republic. The "Imperial Defence Force" is the OP's idea of revamping the Klingons to take into account the fact that the KDF isn't just made of Klingons.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't so mind them going the route of destabilized Empire turning into a Republic since it's kind of the reverse concept that the actual Roman Empire did (turned from a Republic into an Empire) so the concept is kind of cool.

The problem is HOW they did it, and how fast it all happened. The Romulan Empire was weakened from within cool, except this has happened so many times before you'd think they'd be used to it now. Hobus explodes ruining a bunch of core worlds (think if it had blown up Earth, Vulcan and Andoria and how that would have effected the Federation), so yeah that could be the killing blow for the Empire. I can buy it.

But then suddenly the Federation totally destroys the concept of "neutrality" and enters the fray on the Republics side, arguably ignoring the Prime Directive and every bit of agreements they've made with the Empire in the past.

But okay, the Federation sees a chance and takes it, making them no better or worse then the Klingons (military expansionists being supported by diplomacy to the rebel faction).

But then somehow, in the midst of being given a new planet and trying to set that up, dealing with a confederacy (it's not really a Republic but a confederacy) of planets that each want something different, and still fighting a Civil War, they can somehow manage to give up a good portion of their military might (that I may add was built up from a rag tag fleet to a military powerhouse in a year in Cryptic time) to give all that up, including their flagship that could be used for supporting the civil war, to run off into a totally different sector and ignore the homefront.

Oh and in the mean time not only come up with enough old ships to support their fleet but have the economic and military and population resources to design, build and deploy brand new state of the art ships, complete with newly researched and upgraded tech that rivals the Klingons and Federation.

Mind you, their new home planet is still a radioactive swamp, they just ran through a self-inflicted major earthquake that did a ton of damage, are fighting a civil war with losses on both sides, have colony planets that are barely scraping by and are prime targets for enemy strikes not to mention sickness and starvation...

but who cares we can build new scimitar styles new intel ships, new command ships... but we can barely feed our own population.

Sure if there was a time to do isolationist this is the time, but no... they can do all of it.. and fend off the Klingons and the Federation diplomatically as well and the Klingons especially somehow don't see this as a weakness to exploit.

I can do some suspension of disbelief... but the entire way they forced the Romulan Republic into this is one big suspension of disbelief.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If we had three factions, we probably would have a fourth fraction, a fifth fraction etc. Just as we have now two factions and the rest will probably be just as the Romulans a fraction, a faction that has to split up into one of the two real factions.

Why do we have factions anyway? I see it as an outdated game mechanic. Free factions is what I would like to see. You roll a character an during game play you can choose a faction. With a system similar to the reputation system, you can build up loyalty. You can also change faction, but then you begin with negative loyalty with your new faction. A faction unlocks ships and costumes. You can also stay neutral and eat from all sides.
  • daboholicdaboholic Member Posts: 265 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Personally I'd have preferred it if Cryptic hadn't bothered trying to shoehorn factions/fractions into the game and instead unified everyone under the banner of Task Force Omega as the anti everything that threatens the galaxy organisation.

They could have done the same as they have for the Romulans and given each, let's call them mini factions, their own tutorial and starting missions, then at some point down the line have the player assigned to TFO. From that point on everyone would be playing the same missions as allies and could freely team with each other without the stupid faction restrictions we see now.

The beauty of doing it this way means it would (possibly) be easier to add new mini factions into the game. So those who want playable Dominion or Cardassians would get their tutorial and starter missions and then be assigned to TFO just like the Federation, KDF, Romulan players etc.

For those who want to PVP, we could have war games and training exercises.
  • tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think, current system is good. The Romulans as a fraction are good, of course it should be better like romulan visuals for a starbase or romulan set. Now i waiting for proper RR science ship.
    And for OP, the romulans and cardassians are more popular than jem'hadar or vorta ,i think, i never saw too much alien vortas and jem'hadars, even if a jem'hadar is not easy to create. And i think the Dosi and the Wadi are two most awfull species in ST.
    edited March 2015
    Also... changing their methods and motives doesn't require them to change their name
    Valid point.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    The OP wasn't referring to the Romulan Republic. The "Imperial Defence Force" is the OP's idea of revamping the Klingons to take into account the fact that the KDF isn't just made of Klingons.
    Indeed. Nice to know some people are paying attention. :P
    daboholic wrote: »
    Personally I'd have preferred it if Cryptic hadn't bothered trying to shoehorn factions/fractions into the game and instead unified everyone under the banner of Task Force Omega as the anti everything that threatens the galaxy organisation.
    Honestly, if they'd have done this from the start, and focused all their missions to that act, then I think most people would have been quite happy with that; a faction (themed) tutorial, a batch of (say ten?) starter missions, and then we roll through universal missions that are truly universal (opposed to FED-specific) and for a galactic cause. I'd have been content with that.
    tmassx wrote: »
    And for OP, the romulans and cardassians are more popular than jem'hadar or vorta ,i think, i never saw too much alien vortas and jem'hadars, even if a jem'hadar is not easy to create. And i think the Dosi and the Wadi are two most awfull species in ST.
    Whilst I can't make the argument for the Vorta (cause they're easily made in the Alien Generator) the Jem Hadar are not. I would like to think that a lot of people don't bother creating (what would be) a half assed Jem Hadar; the true means of creating one, even within the alien generator, don't tend to proove very fruitful, whereas the Cardassians (and Vorta) can be created with ease.
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Can't say I'm big on the "Imperial Defence Force" title. The existing KDF - with non-Klingons commanding Klingon ships, and mixed-race crews - is implausible enough when you bear in mind that the Klingons only started having significant auxiliaries during the Gorn War - what, 5 years in STO's past? By contrast, single-race crews were still the norm in the Federation in the TOS era, nearly a century after its foundation.

I get that the KDF "as is" is a fudge to balance the factions by giving the Klingon side some of Trek's iconic alien races - the Orions and Gorn just about qualify despite very few on-screen appearances, while the Nausicaans and Letheans were at least recurring races. But if one were being remotely reasonable, at this stage the KDF would still have the distinct ships of its components operating largely independently.

As for the Dominion: NO as a playable faction. Along with the Borg, they are the "big bad" of Trekand should be reserved as antagonists.

Cardassians as a demi-faction, yes, and you could see the game laying early groundwork for this with the inclusion of renegade Jem'Hadar as part of the True Way.

But really; apart from the Klingons, Romulans and Cardassians, no other races really work as playable factions; we don't know enough about them and/or they are too minor to be an independent power. The Ferengi as presented in TNG series 1 might have qualified, but subsequent series made them into too much of a loose trader federation to work in a combat-centric game.