test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tails for Alien Races?

Comments

• ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chibiskunk wrote: »
    Hell, I'm still waiting for caitians to show up in the game. These cat-people are NOT caitians. Evidence? Here it is:

Here's one

Another

I'd be willing to give up that extra appendage in this one

Notice they all have BIG hair?

The dancer is not a Caitian.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • ssargonssargon Member Posts: 347 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ashkrik23 wrote: »
    It is the pink alien one.

Aha... don't I look stupid now.

Anyway yes, that tail absolutely should be accessible to players in some way.
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The two women Kirk is in bed with in Into Darkness at the start. They are both Caitians, but look like stereotypical cat girls. No fur, weird facial features, and tails.

This was confirmed by a senior producer.

It's terrible.

:( *sigh* Yeah.
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    Oh yeah I vaguely remember. I figured they were just a new JJverse race. I had no idea that is what they had reduced Caitians to.

Goodness, I'm so disappointed. I like the STO Caitians, catgirls are just a mockery.

If they were half Caitian I may have allowed it. Another species, sure. It's not even like M'Ress was the only one ever depicted, we've seen them in the live action...WITH fur! It kind of removes the alien-ness if they look like they got dropped into a vat of Nair.
    chibiskunk wrote: »
    Hell, I'm still waiting for caitians to show up in the game. These cat-people are NOT caitians. Evidence? Here it is:

Here's one

Another

I'd be willing to give up that extra appendage in this one

Notice they all have BIG hair?

Yeah that last one...not a Caitian. No fur. Different species. Maybe if that was the species the girls Kirk was with it would've been fine instead of calling them Caitians.

As for your primary complaint, yes, Caitians certainly deserve their proper manes. Access to all of normal hair, and the hair styles they currently have for Caitians who like the bald look. We could even look at it as different ethnicities. Humans and Vulcans have wildly varying hair why not Caitians?
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • knc13knc13 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    The two women Kirk is in bed with in Into Darkness at the start. They are both Caitians, but look like stereotypical cat girls. No fur, weird facial features, and tails.

This was confirmed by a senior producer.

It's terrible.

Uh, I didn't watch the movie, so I might be wrong, but I've read about those on a Wiki when I read about Caitians in general. Sure, they were called Caitians, but weren't they ALTERNATE REALITY Caitians? The alternate realities are known to be DRASTICALLY different in many ways, so I see no issue to call those catgirl twins Caitian, as long as we remember those aren't prime timeline Caitians, but alternate reality Caitians. Who knows what transpired with the Caitians in that reality. They might've had a totally different past, might have had contact with humans much earlier and stuff like that.

As for the topic, I'd totally be for adding tails to aliens as well, and actually the character editor should be mostly unlocked anyway. Honestly, the way the character editor currently works you can long since make abominations which fit much less into the star trek universe than catgirls or god knows what the limits in the editor are supposed to be preventing.

Just a few minutes ago I saw a cool looking alien character with a tail, I have no clue how he/she did it (unfortunately). The character looked perfectly fine and not like a catgirl. I'll repeat myself, the character editor long since allows you to make unrealistic abominations, so why lock features like tails on aliens?
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    knc13 wrote: »
    Uh, I didn't watch the movie, so I might be wrong, but I've read about those on a Wiki when I read about Caitians in general. Sure, they were called Caitians, but weren't they ALTERNATE REALITY Caitians? The alternate realities are known to be DRASTICALLY different in many ways, so I see no issue to call those catgirl twins Caitian, as long as we remember those aren't prime timeline Caitians, but alternate reality Caitians. Who knows what transpired with the Caitians in that reality. They might've had a totally different past, might have had contact with humans much earlier and stuff like that.

As for the topic, I'd totally be for adding tails to aliens as well, and actually the character editor should be mostly unlocked anyway. Honestly, the way the character editor currently works you can long since make abominations which fit much less into the star trek universe than catgirls or god knows what the limits in the editor are supposed to be preventing.

Just a few minutes ago I saw a cool looking alien character with a tail, I have no clue how he/she did it (unfortunately). The character looked perfectly fine and not like a catgirl. I'll repeat myself, the character editor long since allows you to make unrealistic abominations, so why lock features like tails on aliens?

except the alternate reality in the JJVerse was created because James T. Kirks birth happened differently, thanks to the narada. therefor, the rip[ple effect of that change in the timeline would only go forward from that moment on. It would NOT affect an entire race, on a different planet to that extreme, unless your saying Kirk's altered birthdate and time somehow casued all Caitians to turn into anime catgirls.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Holy necro batman.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • heavywhirlwind89heavywhirlwind89 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »

lol omg that's awesome.

glad somebody in the media called him on his smugness.

but on topic, honestly. somebody said we can already make things WAY worse than a cat-girl, and besides people are using exploits to make them anyway. so who cares! people are making them anyway, and in a decently high amount. why not just let people who wanna play cat-girls/men play them without the risk of being banned for using an exploit, so what if others will grump about it? either way SOMEBODY is going to be disappointed.

but seeing as we can now use the formal belt in uniforms,off-duty, etc. I think the days of the ultra-restricting character editor that stifles creativity is slowly coming to an end. (hopefully)
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    lol omg that's awesome.

glad somebody in the media called him on his smugness.

but on topic, honestly. somebody said we can already make things WAY worse than a cat-girl, and besides people are using exploits to make them anyway. so who cares! people are making them anyway, and in a decently high amount. why not just let people who wanna play cat-girls/men play them without the risk of being banned for using an exploit, so what if others will grump about it? either way SOMEBODY is going to be disappointed.

but seeing as we can now use the formal belt in uniforms,off-duty, etc. I think the days of the ultra-restricting character editor that stifles creativity is slowly coming to an end. (hopefully)

Because this isn't anime...or worse the JJVerse?

From TOS to ENT how many aliens had tails?
  • knc13knc13 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Holy necro batman.
    A necro it may have been, but I did it knowingly, considering the thread was only like 3 months gone. Better than making YET another thread on this topic, as there are quite a lot already.

And yeah, if that's really how the alternate reality came into being I have to agree that's like way off and doesn't make much sense.
    either way SOMEBODY is going to be disappointed.

Yeah. I'd rather finally have the stuck-up people disappointed and be given an unrestricted character editor. It's one of the best and most comprehensive out there, and when I want to visualize something I at times pick the STO character editor. Not for making a character, solely for visualizing.
  • alcestisalcestis Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Can i second or third this?
    Seiously Arc, ask us to pay for it, we will... :(
    Cause we wants it!
  • asuran14asuran14 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Yeah i would not mind seeing more options both for tails (even if it is unlocked by purchase of the Caitan/Ferasan races), but also many other options as well added to the character creator. It would be nice to have more things like additional horn options, skin textures such as insect-like carapaces or even feathers, but most of all i would love more leg options like being able to have reverse joint legs like the Elachi have.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Obligatory 'the gatgirls in ID are not Caitians, what was said behind the scenes is not canon' post.

But tails would be nice, necros aren't.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    Yeah, wow. Back from the dead, again.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Not surprised it is back from the dead, alot of us want our alien tails.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    Not surprised it is back from the dead, alot of us want our alien tails.​​

Yes.

And also catgirls.
  • chastity1337chastity1337 Member Posts: 1,606 Arc User
    I always thought that the Caitian/Ferasan parts were kept out of the character creator to prevent people from creating "Catgirls."(AKA, women with furry catlike ears and tails but with a perfectly human body otherwise. See "Final Fantasy Mithra" on google image search for reference.)

I saw one in QWW today, name was Neko something. No fur, human facial features, and a caitian tail. So it is possible, somehow.

Tails, hooves, claws, tusks, snouts, ears - make it happen!​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited December 2015
    I have no problem with it, personally. I say let people have their tail option in the tailor.

Besides, I would get lots of amusement from the nerd rage and anti-Abrams vile it would generate in Zone. Fanboi butthurt is the most fun to witness.
  • fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Tails on Ferasans and Caitians are a job half done. They took the standard body and planted a tail at the back. This makes the character look like an animal in a circus act, a dressed up human. A good example of a real animal like creature as a playable character are the Charr in Guildwars.
    fovrel wrote: »
    Tails on Ferasans and Caitians are a job half done. They took the standard body and planted a tail at the back. This makes the character look like an animal in a circus act, a dressed up human. A good example of a real animal like creature as a playable character are the Charr in Guildwars.

I agree, especially when we know that canonically Caitians look way more 'bestial' than human, having a digitigrade walk and wear no footware. But in STOs case the reason is simply to not have to make a second set of animations just for one 'beast race'. Gorn and the other reptile races do indeed look like people in make-up, that's canon. Caitians stood out which is probably why they never appeared in live-action below their torso. I'd welcome a whole 'beast' template for the aliengen so not only cats but other species suggesting a different form of evolution would be possible.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    I always thought that the Caitian/Ferasan parts were kept out of the character creator to prevent people from creating "Catgirls."(AKA, women with furry catlike ears and tails but with a perfectly human body otherwise. See "Final Fantasy Mithra" on google image search for reference.)

I saw one in QWW today, name was Neko something. No fur, human facial features, and a caitian tail. So it is possible, somehow.

Yeah...possible if you bug/hack the tailor...you can do anything you want...Cryptic is very lenient when it comes to bug exploiting...fact seems like the only bug they really came down on was the patrol one people used to level up quickly.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    lianthelia wrote: »

Yeah...possible if you bug/hack the tailor...you can do anything you want...Cryptic is very lenient when it comes to bug exploiting...fact seems like the only bug they really came down on was the patrol one people used to level up quickly.

Doesn't affect gameplay = low-priority.

IMO they should fully unlock the tailor anyway. People would pay Zen for that. Arbitrary restrictions are stupid.
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »

IMO they should fully unlock the tailor anyway. People would pay Zen for that. Arbitrary restrictions are stupid.
    Exactly. Tailor = aesthetics, without impacting gameplay. It has been requested many times & people would pay Zen for the feature too, pretty sure of it.

[10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

I would not mind both a more Bestial options for Caitians/Ferasians, while also still having less bestial looks for those that want to play a character more to their liking, gives all parties the ability to get what they need. An honestly outside of combat even some design elements who knows what things that exist in the universe could evolve into, i mean we have a pretty sentient an massive living crystal that hunts thru the galaxy for worlds to harvest. Myself i would not only like more beast-like options ranging from reptiles to birds as well as insects or an even dinosaurs. Though also i would like to see more non-organic type choices too, such as being able to make a character from a sentient race of wholly mechanical/cybernetic beings. We already have races that use cybernetic components like the Borg, male Orions, and such; so why not take it a step further into the realm of something truly alien in the form of sentient robotic being.
    Another thing that would be nice to see is some of the elements we see on the Fek'Ihri, as well as some of the tattos they have on their bodies. Also though i would not mind seeing more Orion options like metalic cords wrapping around parts of their limbs.
    asuran14 wrote: »
    Another thing that would be nice to see is some of the elements we see on the Fek'Ihri, as well as some of the tattos they have on their bodies. Also though i would not mind seeing more Orion options like metalic cords wrapping around parts of their limbs.

When you mention that, I don't know why ENT and thus STO assumes that Orions have to look like they lived beyond the thunderdome. All those bolts and stuff, it doesn't make sense. Orions are simply green humans, if any they should get some kind of elegant uniforms or even the suits they wore in TAS.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    angrytarg wrote: »
    asuran14 wrote: »

When you mention that, I don't know why ENT and thus STO assumes that Orions have to look like they lived beyond the thunderdome. All those bolts and stuff, it doesn't make sense. Orions are simply green humans, if any they should get some kind of elegant uniforms or even the suits they wore in TAS.​​

If you mean the male's of the Orion race i think it is more that the implants are used to keep the male in line as the race is female dominated, and the fact of female Orions shown to be slaves is more of a charade or facade to keep people unaware of who holds the power. Though also female Orions are extremely animalistic an carnal with powerful pheromones that can over time impair males of many races to be more susceptible to suggestion. In this way i can see why they have quite revealing clothing as it helps them to lure in people they can control thru their pheromones.

Though yeah i agree it would be nice to see more elegant an interesting clothing for them, and just more options period for them.