test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why So Many Recent Events/Sales?

thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
Oh, I think I know. And I will tell you.

LINK: Roberts Space Industries Star Citizen. Which will be out in 2016.

and

LINK: Elite: Dangerous which is OUT NOW.

OH!

I almost forgot.

LINK: Google Creates A.I. That’s Better at Atari Games Than You Are!

So maybe there is worry we might all be replaced by A.I. because, well, A.I. doesn't have a bank account!

OH!

Elite Dangerous
Head for the stars, take a ship and trade, bounty-hunt, pirate or assassinate your way across the galaxy. It's an awe inspiring, beautiful, vast place; with 400 billion star systems, planets, moons and asteroid fields just waiting to be explored and exploited.

And of course, your mother is a hamster. And your father smells of elderberries. ;)

Also, last thing...if you start playing another space based game, you might find out you like it.

This is all JUST MY OPINION of course. So, feel free to tell me why you think what you think on this matter. Who knows? I just MIGHT be wrong! About your mother and father, that is. That was just a joke. Just kidding!
STAR TREK
lD8xc9e.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't know why people keep claiming Star Citizen will be out in 2016.

Chris Roberts will keep extending "pre-alpha" for as long as people keep throwing money at him. I'm astounded that people who consider themselves rational adults have given so much cash to a project that hasn't even got a completion date.

I know a nigerian prince you could sponsor. Give me your bank details and I'll pass it on to him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Most of these games aren't even a direct competitor for STO. Something about the metrics doesn't seem right, but that's no reason to tell doom because "XYZ" will come out, especially if the games are nothing like STO.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Elite has a HUGE open universe with... Nothing in it. What it does, it does extremely well, but... It doesn't do that much. That may change, they recently announced an Xbox One release, so hopefully they'll flesh it out a lot more before that happens.

Star Citizen... As you say, is not out, and I suspect being quite grumbly about it, the main part won't manage the 2016 deadline. I'm just hopeful that the single player Squadron 42 part will be.

I backed both games, and I'm looking forward to them, but neither is the same type of game as STO, so I'll play all three.
  • cbob312cbob312 Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So... go play those games?
  • mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    All those Events have been around for years. They haven't increased in number. In fact, the obligatory October/November FE Rerun didn't happen last year.

As for the sales, yes, Cryptic does those much more often currently.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You forgot one major thing. You need to pay to play those games. I can, and have been playing STO, and never spent even one single dollar. Just because there is a sale doesn't mean you need to jump on it. I am perfectly fine as I am, completely playing for free.

All of my characters exclusively use Lockbox/Lobi ships. I have full Reputation on all of them. And I have among the stronger builds in the fleet. It can all be accomplished without spending any money.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It might be hard to consider, since this game is dying since 2010 and all, but...

What if what they do is nt just to save the players they have, but to also attract new players?

A game event is a superb time to launch into a new game - you immediately reap some benefits, and completing the event requires returning to the game several times
    That means you will be emotionally invested in the game and are more likely to stick around.

For the rest - it's part of the treadmill, so to speak. There is always a new event around the corner - if you leave now, you'll miss out. If you haven't intended to laeve the game for good, that means you might later regret it. So better keep playing => So you stick around.

It is fundamentally a simple psychological trick, and most of us "fall" for it. Everyone that is screaming about the grind or the treadmill and asks "Make it easier" or "make it stop" is falling for it. People not falling it would probably just say something like "Oh, a new event. Have fun guys." or "Oh, new gear. Neat, but excuse me now, I am doing my own thing."

Mustrum "Falling for it" Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I only get stuff in sales, and even then it is with Dilithium, so more sales the merrier!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I like the idea of more competition to the product Star Trek Online.

It will be good for it’s customers, it will be good for the Defs, it will be good for the Publisher and most of all it will be best for the product itself.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • swamarianswamarian Member Posts: 1,506 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Back when they got rid of the hourly events, they said that they were planning on doing one every weekend. I think that some of this is just them following through on that.
  • orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The reason there's been so many events is because of the poor reaction to DR. They're trying to drag players back and get existing ones to log in more often (and perhaps buy something).

Will Star Citizen steal some of STO's playerbase? Maybe, maybe not.

+ The larger ships will probably have a tremendous Trek cruiser feeling to them.
    + Ship interiors and exteriors exist on the same map. Meaning you can look out a window in the mess hall and see what's going on outside. This isn't a slant against STO and the devs, that's merely a big difference.
    + Exploration is looking to be important gameplay factor.
    + Ships look to have FAR greater longevity, especially for the larger ships.
    + When not using quantum drive (basically SC's quick travel), it'll take 5 years real time to cross a star system. It's not remotely 1:1 scale, but it'll still be huge.
    +
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWBjM8wWnug

The Idris (excuse the music). Slightly shorter than the original Enterprise. The Javelin will longer and seems to be planned to be a ship similar to the NCC-1701 (torps, shuttle bay, science labs, medical bay etc).

- Unless you're a hardcore player, you're probably not going to own one. Be a crewmember on one certainly, but your probably won't be the captain. Personally I'm fine with that.
    - It's probably going to be quite rare for anyone to make big discoveries (like finding a new jump point).

I can't really see it making a huge dent in STO to be honest. The majority of STO players are playing STO solely for the Trek and probably wouldn't touch an MMO of even another sci-fi space-opera franchise. Also those that want to experience being on a larger starship may be put off if they can't captain it.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yet another post about Chris Robert's cash cow vaporware, the game that will never leave pre-Alpha.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • rjay1985rjay1985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why so stupid forum posts?
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't play any of those game. And they are not in direct competition for STO. As none of them are Star Trek.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.