test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Electra Woman and Dyna Girl return!

hawkwing43hawkwing43 Member Posts: 1,701 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
That's right they have a NEW Electra Woman and Dyna Girl show coming soon. I am not sure how to take this news. What's next Wonder Bug? lol

http://www.blastr.com/2015-3-11/heres-our-first-look-new-electra-woman-and-dyna-girl
Post edited by hawkwing43 on

Comments

• Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    DC: "The world is not ready for a super heroine on screen."

Marvel: "lolAGENTCARTER!"

These guys: "Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, go!"

DC: "No one would be interested in seeing women take the lead in a superhero franchise."

Marvel: "Rawr! Skye is an Inhuman! Pew pew pew! Let's get Kate Sackoff as Captain Marvel! Badass!"

DC: "Seriously, women in the lead role of a series would just not be a good idea."

Joss Whedon: "Grr! Argh! Buffy!"

DC: "Gun to our head, though, if we HAD to make a series with a female lead, the choice would be so obvious as to who it would be.

CW: "Coming this fall to CW, it's Supergirl, which is totally not like Smallville, the Superman series we ran five years ago, even though it's the exact same thing."

DC: "We're DC. I think we know what is best for our fans."

AND THE EARTH SHOOK AS THE SHEER MOMENTUM OF A BILLION FACES BEING SLAPPED WITH PALMS RIPPLED ACROSS IT'S SURFACE!
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    seannewboyseannewboy Member Posts: 667 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Thank heavens they did not go retro with the costumes.
    New home of the Romulan Republic.
    I have an idea for what Season 11 should be; Season 11: The Big Bug Fix.
    I have not been able to read my bug tickets in over a year, not even the tickets about not being able to see my tickets.
    I find the drama of your signature proof of your immaturity, this means you, DR whiners.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There is one difference between Smallville and Supergirl, though - they never wanted Clark to wear a costume, but they've already got one for Kara.

So of all the lessons they could have learned before starting this, the one they picked up on is, "Nobody wants to watch a superhero in street clothes."

Ah well, at least we've got Marvel - love watching Ming-na Wen kicking bad guys' heads in...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just to really nauseate everybody...

http://www.blastr.com/2014-5-16/flash-streaks-unseen-2001-electra-woman-and-dyna-girl-pilot

Tho, Markie Post... yeah.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There's a reason why CinemaSins automatically gives a sin when anything relating to DC Comics pops up in a movie.
  • Options
    steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
    edited March 2015
    hawkwing43 wrote: »
    That's right they have a NEW Electra Woman and Dyna Girl show coming soon. I am not sure how to take this news. What's next Wonder Bug? lol

http://www.blastr.com/2015-3-11/heres-our-first-look-new-electra-woman-and-dyna-girl

Because Krofft's reboot of Land of the Lost was sooo good. :rolleyes:
    What's next Wonder Bug? lol
    I'm hoping for H.R. Puffenstuff ('cause I'm a Kling & Klang fan) or Lost Saucer (which actually had an interesting premise, if a totally goofball execution of it), but we'll probably get Sigmund and the Seamonsters. :P

Regarding the Electra Woman show, the new costumes are an improvement, I'll give them that, even if the color scheme is rather flashy. My guess is this show will end up appealing to the Power Rangers crowd.
  • Options
    shandypandyshandypandy Member Posts: 632 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If they remake Dangermouse, then your talking. Right now I dunno what your on about.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Bring back the Buggaloos! Lolololol.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    Bring back the Buggaloos! Lolololol.

Oh, thanks! Now I'm going to have that song in my head, complete with kazoos, through the coming weekend. :mad:

(Joy was cute, though.) :D
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jonsills wrote: »
    There is one difference between Smallville and Supergirl, though - they never wanted Clark to wear a costume, but they've already got one for Kara.

So of all the lessons they could have learned before starting this, the one they picked up on is, "Nobody wants to watch a superhero in street clothes."

Ah well, at least we've got Marvel - love watching Ming-na Wen kicking bad guys' heads in...
    I'd be happy to watch a tv show based off the live action version of Supergirl.

Helen Slater was great. Fun fact: she played Superman's mother in Smallville. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well, I'd be happy if they did a remake of Lidsville. Charles Nelson Riley scared the bejesus out of me as that evil magician.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh, thanks! Now I'm going to have that song in my head, complete with kazoos, through the coming weekend. :mad:

They're in the air and everywhere.
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    hfmudd wrote: »
    They're in the air and everywhere.
    You are an evil, evil man, Mr. Mudd. :D
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited March 2015

The Captain Marvel and Mighty Isis Power Hour

Captain Marvel

The Mighty Isis

And a team up
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Shazaam!!!! Sorry steamwright, I have the Sigmund the seamonster song stuck in my head after you mentioned it. Mentioning the Buggaloos was payback.

And Johnny, and Scott are friends.:mad:
  • Options
    fmgtorres1979fmgtorres1979 Member Posts: 1,327 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For what I gather it seems that the reality is that female protagonists, especially in action tv series/movies do seem to be less appreciated than male protagonists. Perhaps it has something to do with the male audience trying to identify itself with the character, I don't know, I'm not a psychologist.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Well, if Joss gets his hands on it , I know what Elisha Dushku will be in next.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    For what I gather it seems that the reality is that female protagonists, especially in action tv series/movies do seem to be less appreciated than male protagonists. Perhaps it has something to do with the male audience trying to identify itself with the character, I don't know, I'm not a psychologist.

Which is odd because in the 70's you had Wonder Woman, The Bionic Woman, and Charlie's Angels. All hits. Then a large gap in time (unless you count cop shows like Cagney and Lacey), followed by Xena: Warrior Princess and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Also hits. I'm of the viewpoint that a significant factor is Hollywood's bias, holding back or under-supporting an effort, since in my lifetime we've had at least 5 examples (maybe others I've forgotten) of successful ventures with women in action leads. The same kind of thoughtless bias that locks an actor into a stereotypical role, ruining their career, because he or she played it so well once.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Which is odd because in the 70's you had Wonder Woman, The Bionic Woman, and Charlie's Angels. All hits. Then a large gap in time (unless you count cop shows like Cagney and Lacey), followed by Xena: Warrior Princess and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Also hits. I'm of the viewpoint that a significant factor is Hollywood's bias, holding back or under-supporting an effort, since in my lifetime we've had at least 5 examples (maybe others I've forgotten) of successful ventures with women in action leads. The same kind of thoughtless bias that locks an actor into a stereotypical role, ruining their career, because he or she played it so well once.

You're absolutely right. I don't understand/know the real reason(s).
    For example, I've read recently that is unknown if Agent Carter will be renewed. Now, I've only seen three episodes, but so far it's good and I've seen a lot of people praising it. So it stands to reason thet there should be no doubt about it's renewal, but there is. I'm not going to imply it's because the character is female, but I can't help but wonder...
    Supergirl's tv series is a refreshing enterprise and may prove to be a turn of the tide, but Wonder Woman only got the pilot and the "new"(2007?) Bionic Woman only got a season. On the other hand Continuum is quite successful. So..I don't know - also not sure if being Canada or US has a dramatic influence.
    And movies...well, Thor, Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Hulk, Punisher, etc, etc. Ladies? Huh..Catwoman and...ahem...
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    For example, I've read recently that is unknown if Agent Carter will be renewed. Now, I've only seen three episodes, but so far it's good and I've seen a lot of people praising it. So it stands to reason thet there should be no doubt about it's renewal, but there is. I'm not going to imply it's because the character is female, but I can't help but wonder...

I loved every episode of Agent Carter and hope against hope for a renewal. But part of my drive for the show may be exactly what is playing against it. I love period stuff, and WWII era is one of my favorites. I've seen a change the last decade where many younger folk (wow, am I actually using that term?) have a strange distaste for all that has gone before us. I say "strange", and maybe it should be "finicky". On the one hand, Captain America: The First Avenger took a lot of odd flack for being a period piece, complete with the uplifting, "we can do it" attitude of the Greatest Generation. On the other hand, I've not heard such criticism of shows like Downton Abbey and all the Hercule Poirot TV specials, so it is not a homogeneous viewpoint. Still, I get the opinion that a period piece is considered a serious risk to network types. They seem to be a spineless breed.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    But in this case it's not JUST Hollywood, but DC. what characters does DC do most often in film?

Batman and Superman.... It's almost like they're scared to do anything else....

But... I'd love to see Summer Glau do a live action Supergirl. She did a good job as a Terminator, so I'm sure she could doa good job of punching people through walls. also she did a voice for Kara in one of the animated movies.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    To the OP:

I can't tell if this is something "cool" or if I should be considering it a sign of the apocalypse. lol

I do remember loving the original show as a child (along with all those other Kroff shows), I would have been in kindergarden or so... Still, I remember having a crush on DynaGirl. Maybe it was the pigtails. I also remember their car being cool (googles the ElectraCar and DG... That car still looks neat, in a dated-sort of way, and forgive me dear Judy Strangis, but I'll say I'd (still) hit that. :cool:)

Anyway, a reboot? Hmmm... Maybe I'll check it out. But I won't expect much.
    DC: "The world is not ready for a super heroine on screen."

Ok, that was hilarious!
    You are an evil, evil man, Mr. Mudd. :D

Quoting Jonsills for Truth (and much Justice) as I walk away humming the Buggaloos theme.... Grr....

:rolleyes:

:D

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You're absolutely right. I don't understand/know the real reason(s).
    Supergirl's tv series is a refreshing enterprise and may prove to be a turn of the tide, but Wonder Woman only got the pilot and the "new"(2007?) Bionic Woman only got a season. On the other hand Continuum is quite successful. So..I don't know - also not sure if being Canada or US has a dramatic influence.
    And movies...well, Thor, Spiderman, Superman, Batman, Hulk, Punisher, etc, etc. Ladies? Huh..Catwoman and...ahem...

The doubt about Agent Carter's renewal is not about "can the audience relate to a female lead?" but more of "Is there anything else that needs to be said?" Agent Carter was primarily just a filler series to both shed some light on Carter's life after Steve's "death" and to act as a replacement for Agents of SHIELD during it's break. Agent Carter proved to be a commercial sucess and now we're wondering if Agent Carter has anything left to say. She moved on from Steve. Hydra was "defeated" and SHIELD was just starting up by the end of it. Looking at the finale, do we really need another season? Is there more to Agent Carter?

That's the real question.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    But in this case it's not JUST Hollywood, but DC. what characters does DC do most often in film?

Batman and Superman.... It's almost like they're scared to do anything else....

But... I'd love to see Summer Glau do a live action Supergirl. She did a good job as a Terminator, so I'm sure she could doa good job of punching people through walls. also she did a voice for Kara in one of the animated movies.

Could be due to how our generation rolls. These days it seems companies and people aren't about taking as many big risks anymore. Its about being safe and going with the option that seem the most successful. Could be wrong though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    xigbarg wrote: »
    Could be due to how our generation rolls. These days it seems companies and people aren't about taking as many big risks anymore. Its about being safe and going with the option that seem the most successful. Could be wrong though.
    If it was less expensive to produce movies, then they'd probably take more risks. Disney is going into more unknown regions because they've made profits off several movies already and are diversifying, but even they started with the relatively safe stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The doubt about Agent Carter's renewal is not about "can the audience relate to a female lead?" but more of "Is there anything else that needs to be said?" Agent Carter was primarily just a filler series to both shed some light on Carter's life after Steve's "death" and to act as a replacement for Agents of SHIELD during it's break. Agent Carter proved to be a commercial sucess and now we're wondering if Agent Carter has anything left to say. She moved on from Steve. Hydra was "defeated" and SHIELD was just starting up by the end of it. Looking at the finale, do we really need another season? Is there more to Agent Carter?

That's the real question.

I believe there is. Hope this isn't spoilery, but I'd very much like to see the founding year of SHIELD (beyond the Marvel One Shot), the conversion from SSR with the incorporation of Dum Dum and the Howling Commandos into the fold, and the events that sowed "dragon's teeth" (HYDRA) into SHIELD for its eventual undoing. Carter's ability to see much more of what is going on than her colleagues leads me to believe it would be interesting to explore her blind spot that would allow HYDRA to infiltrate.

There's also the question of whom she married. The mini-series hinted it was Daniel Sousa, but it was unclear whether he was one of the ones Steve Rogers rescued, which in The Winter Soldier she stated was true of her husband.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Some good points has this (thread) developed :)