test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Risan floater restriction, the in-character version

warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
We know the real life reason they gave for not being allowed to use the Risan floaters anywhere else. Maps were not designed for it. And apparently still aren't, even new ones. But...

Dust to Dust:
Kim: "OK, Admiral, now you have to shoot these glowing orbs in the walls to make the platforms appear. You'll have 5 seconds to run across the platforms before they retract and you fall to your death. And don't touch the glowing plates because then the platform will retract immediately and you'll fall to your death. Input the Kobali flagship's command codes on the consoles in between the platforms to unlock the next set. Jhet'leya and I will wait here until you turn the trap off from the other side."
Me: "Last year on Risa, I picked up this handy anti-gravity jetpack. I happen to have it with me here, so how about I forget the killer platforms and the various glowing things and just fly over there?"
Kim: "No, you can't do that, sir. Map's not built for it. Get jumping."

Or is there perhaps some in-character, story reason we're stuck risking our lives instead of flying? ;)

And just for fun:
Me: "You know I'm the Fleet Admiral here, so how about you go jump on the platforms of death and I wait for you to disarm the trap, Captain. It's your misbehaving zombie clone we're chasing."
Kim: "Umm...I...I got a...a bad knee, the doctor told me no more platform jumping. Sir."
Me: "And your girlfriend?"
Jhet'leya: "I'm not his gi...you're not the boss of me, I refuse!"
Me: "It's impossible to find good help these days. And what were the Vaadwaur thinking when they built this place anyway? These platforms serve no useful purpose. And why do we have to use your flagship's command codes to operate them? This scene makes no sense."
Kim: "You'll get a load of accolades if you do it without dying."
Me: "Deal!"
Post edited by warpangel on

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    2nd part is great.:D

Stopped thinkung too much about the story a long time ago, mostly ruins the fun since very few things actually make sense at all.

Like that annoying captain that's bossing us (vice admiral +) around durig the kobali prime stuff....
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    When Neelix ordered me to go and help him find cooking ingredients, my immersion was broken forever.

Yes folks, Neelix wants you to help him look for spices and other related junk even though you're a high ranking officer.

Shopping. That's what you went to the Academy for. Shopping.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That mission was set in a Kobali temple that the Vaudwaar were attacking. It wasn't a Vaudwaar base. So, at the very least, the Kobali memory cube being there, and Kobali command codes overriding Henry Kim's modifying of the temple into a death trap filled funhouse made sense... sorta.
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jermbot wrote: »
    That mission was set in a Kobali temple that the Vaudwaar were attacking. It wasn't a Vaudwaar base. So, at the very least, the Kobali memory cube being there, and Kobali command codes overriding Henry Kim's modifying of the temple into a death trap filled funhouse made sense... sorta.

It is an old Vaadwar stasis hidey-hole. The Kobali just called it a temple to hide the fact they were grave-robbing.
  • jjdezjjdez Member Posts: 570 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This thread reminds of the promised Grapple Gun that never came to be. Everyone was excited to have a new piece of gear (device) they could use...and then all it became was an interaction in predetermined locations. Yay, hit 'F', woohoo!
  • euar0euar0 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We know the real life reason they gave for not being allowed to use the Risan floaters anywhere else. Maps were not designed for it. And apparently still aren't, even new ones. But...

This is "true" .. but not in the way you imply. On the day they released the floater I transwarped back to earth and down to the acad, hit my floater <it was still active> and took off, got about 10-15 ft in the air and it then went grey and shut down. We can fly in all maps. However they never designed the roofs and other areas we could get into with a floater, so they say "The maps aren't designed for that", there's no mechanical reason, no game reason, just a "we don't want you to do that".

**shrug**
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    Or is there perhaps some in-character, story reason we're stuck risking our lives instead of flying? ;)

Hmm, let's see: they're consumer devices, sold/rented to anyone, on a resort planet that wants people to have a good time....

...I'd be willing to bet those things have so many "protection from user idiocy" features built into them that it'd take a team of the best Federation engineers weeks to disable the safety protocols. :P
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »

Dust to Dust:
    Kim: "OK, Admiral, now you have to shoot these glowing orbs in the walls to make the platforms appear. You'll have 5 seconds to run across the platforms before they retract and you fall to your death. And don't touch the glowing plates because then the platform will retract immediately and you'll fall to your death. Input the Kobali flagship's command codes on the consoles in between the platforms to unlock the next set. Jhet'leya and I will wait here until you turn the trap off from the other side."
    Me: "Last year on Risa, I picked up this handy anti-gravity jetpack. I happen to have it with me here, so how about I forget the killer platforms and the various glowing things and just fly over there?"
    Kim: "No, you can't do that, sir. Map's not built for it. Get jumping."

And just for fun:
    Me: "You know I'm the Fleet Admiral here, so how about you go jump on the platforms of death and I wait for you to disarm the trap, Captain. It's your misbehaving zombie clone we're chasing."
    Kim: "Umm...I...I got a...a bad knee, the doctor told me no more platform jumping. Sir."
    Me: "And your girlfriend?"
    Jhet'leya: "I'm not his gi...you're not the boss of me, I refuse!"
    Me: "It's impossible to find good help these days. And what were the Vaadwaur thinking when they built this place anyway? These platforms serve no useful purpose. And why do we have to use your flagship's command codes to operate them? This scene makes no sense."
    Kim: "You'll get a load of accolades if you do it without dying."
    Me: "Deal!"

While it would make sense to be able to use the jet pack, which I did try it with one of my characters lol, I was just pleasantly surprised that they did something that involved thinking, instead of the whole thing just being shooting enemies. Till then, I really didn't expect to see anything more than "Go here, and shoot this till it dies."

I hope that more of the episodes we get have more puzzles, and things that make players use their brains.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Hmm, let's see: they're consumer devices, sold/rented to anyone, on a resort planet that wants people to have a good time....

...I'd be willing to bet those things have so many "protection from user idiocy" features built into them that it'd take a team of the best Federation engineers weeks to disable the safety protocols. :P

Scotty would make it in 3 and a half days.:D
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015

The rentals shutting off mid-flight without warning when the time runs out says, no they don't. :D

Wouldn't it be funny if Summer Event 2015 was moved somewhere else because the Risans were sued out of business?
  • jerilynjerilyn Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    js26568 wrote: »
    When Neelix ordered me to go and help him find cooking ingredients, my immersion was broken forever.

Yes folks, Neelix wants you to help him look for spices and other related junk even though you're a high ranking officer.

I am still very new, I just started playing a few days ago. But then I run this mission...

* Spoilers even though I am sure you have all already done this *

I am back in the past (at level 15 nonetheless, didn't wait long to throw time paradoxes at me did they...). The station I am on is about to be destroyed by radiation and Scotty of all people sends me to the space equivalent of a Quik-E Mart to buy some kind of 'power coupling' to save everyone from death.

"Ok", I think, "that is dumb, but maybe this could happen". Except that I can't buy the power coupling BECAUSE THE STORE ATTENDANT WANTS A DRINK!.

Yes, I have to get the store attendant liquored up before I can buy the power couplings to save her and everyone else's lives.

BUT IT GETS WORSE... because no one knows what she wants to drink and I have to run around finding clues as to what will most effectively get her smashed while the entire population of the station slowly burns to death from 'Triloric' radiation...

Seriously Cryptic. Do not let your children write your mission plot lines as part of their 7th grade creating writing assignments. If you can't do better than this just plagiarize something.
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well how would you play Super Starfleet Brothers if you could just use the floater? You want to get the full Harry Kim's Funhouse experience don't you? And of course the transporter is out of the question. It's suspiciously convenient just how often the transporter isn't a viable option.

I really wish this song played during the whole platform jumping thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGX4obVl64w
    edited March 2015
    jerilyn wrote: »
    I am still very new, I just started playing a few days ago. But then I run this mission...

I am back in the past (at level 15 nonetheless, didn't wait long to throw time paradoxes at me did they...). The station I am on is about to be destroyed by radiation and Scotty of all people sends me to the space equivalent of a Quik-E Mart to buy some kind of 'power coupling' to save everyone from death.

"Ok", I think, "that is dumb, but maybe this could happen". Except that I can't buy the power coupling BECAUSE THE STORE ATTENDANT WANTS A DRINK!.

Yes, I have to get the store attendant liquored up before I can buy the power couplings to save her and everyone else's lives.

BUT IT GETS WORSE... because no one knows what she wants to drink and I have to run around finding clues as to what will most effectively get her smashed while the entire population of the station slowly burns to death from 'Triloric' radiation...

Seriously Cryptic. Do not let your children write your mission plot lines as part of their 7th grade creating writing assignments. If you can't do better than this just plagiarize something.
    At least in that mission you're just some unknown guy (from the future, but they don't know that) and have to avoid changing the timeline while saving it.

You don't want them to notice you don't belong there. So telling Scotty to go get his own trinket or yelling at the shopkeeper to get drunk after giving you the trinket is out of the question. Humoring them actually does make sense.

Can't imagine them bouncing their superior officers around like that, though.
  • phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jerilyn wrote: »

Dude, it's a TOS homage. It's intentionally hokey.

Are you going to complain about the Type 3 Phaser Rifle having lame SFX too?
    edited March 2015
    variant37 wrote: »
    Well how would you play Super Starfleet Brothers if you could just use the floater? You want to get the full Harry Kim's Funhouse experience don't you? And of course the transporter is out of the question. It's suspiciously convenient just how often the transporter isn't a viable option.
    You can actually suggest using the transporter in the beginning. Zombie!Harry has jammed your comms. It's a nice touch.

Of course, inexplicably, this doesn't prevent you from beaming out of there at any time if you want to abort the mission. :rolleyes:
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    js26568 wrote: »

He did that all the time on voyager...

Chakotay was hunting roots all the time.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • reiklingraiderreiklingraider Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Rofl That would make a good unending Doff mission chain.
  • shadowfirefly00shadowfirefly00 Member Posts: 1,026 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And the sad thing? With a little thought, they could actually have a floater puzzle there. Perhaps similar to what we see on Risa, except the rings move...
  • chandlerasharichandlerashari Member Posts: 348 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I always thought that it was bloody ludicrous that they let us be the ******Ned "fleet admiral"

They shouldnt have tied level to starfleet rank!

Just have us be captains! Captains to start, captains at the end!

It just make no ******n sense why a flag officer would do alk the missions him/herself.

Although the same can be said for the "captain" rank but as starships are at times the only representation of the federation in a "strange, new" world. Thats okay...

Flag officers shouldnt be on strange new worlds to begin with!!!

/rant over

Thats why i refuse to wear admiral pips on my toon!

Dont get promoted, captains! (Parapheasin kirk)