test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Greed Centric Exchanges Have become Greedier

otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
Have the Ferengi taken over the Exchanges? I've been playing for a few years and I don't remember the exchanges being so over the top greedy. I get supply and demand but come on most players will never see 100,000,000 EC especially beginning players and if they did they would probably not spend it all on one item. I don't understand the reasoning behind this kind of pricing.
Fleet Admiral Stephen
Post edited by otisnoble on

Comments

• Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That 100,000,000 EC pricetag is there because there are players who are willing to pay it. The Exchange is not a donation bin or a thrift store. It is a sacred temple of capitalism where the space-rich can congregate and enjoy the thrill and excitement of commerce.

These items you speak of may seem steeply priced to you, but to someone else, they may seem reasonable. It is also important to mention that just because something is listed for that price does not necessarily mean people are buying it at that price (although it might be a good indicator).

There will always be the "haves" and "have nots" in STO. People who are willing to work for their energy credits, and people who are not. If everybody was capable of getting 100,000,000 EC easily, then the items in question would not be worth much.

You say it is greed, but you have the potential to make 100,000,000 EC quite easily if you are willing to play your cards right. But STO's economy is cutthroat and very unforgiving. There will always be opportunities you can take advantage of, if you choose.

Any person in STO is capable of becoming super-rich with hard work. And those who are willing to work hard are able to purchase that type of merchandise.

You are right that most players will not see 100,000,000 EC in their gaming career in STO, but those types of things on the exchange?

They aren't being marketed towards most players of STO. They're being marketed to the players who are willing to work for it.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    grandnaguszek1grandnaguszek1 Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And I'm still waiting for the price to drop on the TR116 Bs:(
    say-star-wars-is-better.jpg
  • Options
    otisnobleotisnoble Member Posts: 1,290 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    iconians wrote: »
    That 100,000,000 EC pricetag is there because there are players who are willing to pay it. The Exchange is not a donation bin or a thrift store. It is a sacred temple of capitalism where the space-rich can congregate and enjoy the thrill and excitement of commerce.

These items you speak of may seem steeply priced to you, but to someone else, they may seem reasonable. It is also important to mention that just because something is listed for that price does not necessarily mean people are buying it at that price (although it might be a good indicator).

There will always be the "haves" and "have nots" in STO. People who are willing to work for their energy credits, and people who are not. If everybody was capable of getting 100,000,000 EC easily, then the items in question would not be worth much.

You say it is greed, but you have the potential to make 100,000,000 EC quite easily if you are willing to play your cards right. But STO's economy is cutthroat and very unforgiving. There will always be opportunities you can take advantage of, if you choose.

Any person in STO is capable of becoming super-rich with hard work. And those who are willing to work hard are able to purchase that type of merchandise.

You are right that most players will not see 100,000,000 EC in their gaming career in STO, but those types of things on the exchange?

They aren't being marketed towards most players of STO. They're being marketed to the players who are willing to work for it.

Where did you learn Economics? If the world ran on your version the haves would be starving because no one would buy their stuff and the have nots would be looking for a bargain. Didn't you learn anything from the recession? Sure you might get one sucker to bight but most players aren't so crazy.
    Fleet Admiral Stephen
  • Options
    nicha0nicha0 Member Posts: 1,456 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think you don't understand how the economy works. The exchange has always been full of greedy people, they aim to control the market and set prices. Don't want to be a part of it? Don't, you really don't need to in STO.
    Delirium Tremens
    Completed Starbase, Embassy, Mine, Spire and No Win Scenario
    Nothing to do anymore.
    http://dtfleet.com/
    Visit our Youtube channel
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You aren't going to starve to death if you don't get that shiny new jemmy strike ship. They're luxury items, not basic necessities. Okay, everything in this game is a luxury item since, you know, it's a game, but the 100mil ships are more luxurious than most things.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    otisnoble wrote: »
    Have the Ferengi taken over the Exchanges? I've been playing for a few years and I don't remember the exchanges being so over the top greedy. I get supply and demand but come on most players will never see 100,000,000 EC especially beginning players and if they did they would probably not spend it all on one item. I don't understand the reasoning behind this kind of pricing.

What are you ranting about ......Be specific
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Stop being Poor :P
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    you see op this thread is full of apologists who like their greed a dime a dozen, the usual status quo it has always been on sto. i tend to not get involved if it can be helped though.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Psst: Ferengi are supposed to be humans. The humans in star Trek are really *not* like actual humans :P
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    otisnoble wrote: »

Some kind of example would be nice . . .
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Supply and Demand. I've been on both sides of that outrageous pricing issue. But it's not even greed, it's where the prices naturally tend thanks to supply and demand. I paid tens of millions of ec each for weapons, and collectively several hundred millions on ships, because the supply was low and the demand was high. I've also sold things for pretty fantastic prices by that same logic. In a world where one person's product is identical to someone else's, it's a straight supply and demand question, and while there is some artificial inflation, that's normally self-correcting.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is hardly something that is unique to STO nor is it a problem, and nor would I even throw around labels such as "greed".

People sell rare and highly desirable items for very high prices, most in the hopes of then using the wealth that they acquire to obtain the items they themselves really want or need.
  • Options
    lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    In short, somebody charges prices that high because there is somebody willing to pay that price. If the item fails to sell for 100 million, then the posting will expire and the seller will either repost it at the same price and keep waiting for a buyer, or will repost it at a lower price.
  • Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Where did you learn Economics? If the world ran on your version the haves would be starving because no one would buy their stuff and the have nots would be looking for a bargain. Didn't you learn anything from the recession? Sure you might get one sucker to bight but most players aren't so crazy.

Did you just compare a IN GAME exchange with the real life? Dude, step back, I think you are a little to much into the game.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We just ran through the Omega event where you could make hundreds of millions on a lvl10 character if you wanted to, and yet this rant shows up again? Cripes, I'm someone who thinks anything costing more than four million or so per item is ludicrously self-indulgent, and even I think these sorts of rants are silly. There is plenty of cash out there, you just have to go get it.
  • Options
    plaztikman64plaztikman64 Member Posts: 725 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Some people obtain gear with zen/lobi or upgrade items with dilithiium. Do you really believe they will drop those on the exchange for nothing!? There are countless ways of getting rich in STO and I really don't get the meaning of this thread, at all...
  • Options
    chaelkchaelk Member Posts: 5,727 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    example cup of cocoa; 500 million EC.

not a reasonable price. a few days ago,
    currently:
    klingon grapok sauce
    1 million
    7 million
    7.5 million
    15 million(for 2)

definitely not a reasonable price. Most likely waiting for a gold seller
    Stuffing up Freeform builds since Mid 2011
    5e4fd3cb-b728-4870-849c-b007bccaf5e9_zpsqomajucn.jpg

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    chaelk wrote: »

currently:
    klingon grapok sauce
    1 million
    7 million
    7.5 million
    15 million(for 2)

If its not worth the price go do that 45 minute long mission with a Chance to get it

Then come back and tell us if its worth the price

If it was me I would charge 10x that price considering how much misery the mission is
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    krilldarnkrilldarn Member Posts: 211 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    chaelk wrote: »

currently:
    klingon grapok sauce
    1 million
    7 million
    7.5 million
    15 million(for 2)

Some F2P players who have multiple account want to transfer EC to the other account so the one that wants say the 200mil will post up a hypo for 200mil, their other account which has the EC then buys it..... transfer complete. Other are just opportunistic.
  • Options
    zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,764 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We just ran through the Omega event where you could make hundreds of millions on a lvl10 character if you wanted to, and yet this rant shows up again? Cripes, I'm someone who thinks anything costing more than four million or so per item is ludicrously self-indulgent, and even I think these sorts of rants are silly. There is plenty of cash out there, you just have to go get it.

Are you talking about selling Omega Red/Yellow/Blue for 100,000,000 EC?
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Are you talking about selling Omega Red/Yellow/Blue for 100,000,000 EC?

Not even like that. A finished shard (or fragment, whatever the VR piece was called) was like 1.3 million even during the event, and if you were halfway decent at the minigame you could make 3 of those an hour, so ~4 million an hour without having to know any particular tricks or niches or corner any markets or anything. An hour of no-brainer work a night for the duration of the event, you have your hundred million and can kit a character out pretty thoroughly. There's always opportunities like that around in some form; nothing difficult but ya do have to get out there and do it.