test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Delta Recruits be Tovan Khev Free?

Comments

• decroniadecronia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I kinda want to make a foundry mission where he gets stabbed, electrocuted, set on fire, then blown out an airlock.

Not that I have a problem with him, I just find all the hate amusing, lol.

I think the hate is to do with you have no way of getting rid of him at all. Even if you set your own first officer he is the one that pops up where you should get that, even when you have him on an away team he's the one that answewrs from the ship for beaming up.

He permanently takes up a BOFF slot meaning RR characters technically have one less BOFF slot than all the others. Now that isn't too much of a problem at first but when you get to the point you need more it gets annoying. Even more so when these are a premium slot buy. It's the equivalent of people not being able to dismiss DOFFs, and to those that have that it is a bug to Tovan situation it is WAI.

If these weren't the case then the wouldn't be so much "hate". It suprises me that they didn't see these situations coming when given a forced BOFF.

PS: Even after all that he would still be on the crew, he's the Rasputin of your crew. :D
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    *sigh*

Another person for whom a clown, and a pony, and two cakes is still not enough.

If you have "Boff themes" you're taking the game far too seriously. You should get a hobby, or maybe get out and meet some people.

How dare people want to play a role in a (mmo) role playing game?!

Honestly, I'll never understand the people who argue against giving people the option to dismiss Tovan. It's not like we're asking him to be removed from the game entirely, we just want him off our own ships.

And for the record, you could make him the most OP boff in the game and all it'd do is make me hate him more, since then I'd be encouraged to actively use him rather than do everything I can to pretend he doesn't exist. Not that that works anyway...

Either way though, no delta recruits won't be Tovan free. The parallel story line sounds like it's just a couple extra side objectives in the normal storyline, not huge changes.
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    To be quite frank with you all, if an existing player starts a Romulan character just for this event then you DESERVE to have Tovan Khev following you around.

It'll be far more efficient to start a KDF character - you'll reach the end of your story arc a lot faster and you'll have the trait while people with a new Romulan character are still listening to that bore go on and on about looking for his sister.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm gonna use start a Fed Rom cause I want the SRO for sale on the exchange... also you now get dil for playing the missions the 1st time as well... so more missions means more dil I can earn. Well the dil may not be much thou granted... I have not checked on how much you can earn the 1st time playing a mission.

But yes KDF does have fewer missions to run to finish off the Breen Arc.
  • r5e4w3q2r5e4w3q2 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh, oh! The "mysterious benefactor" is future Tovan Khev! And he joins your crew after you finish so Fed and KDF captians gets to experience the fun of Tovan Khev! Old and new Tovan Khev for romulan players! Like old and new spock in the JJ movies, only horrible! :P
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    r5e4w3q2 wrote: »
    Oh, oh! The "mysterious benefactor" is future Tovan Khev! And he joins your crew after you finish so Fed and KDF captians gets to experience the fun of Tovan Khev! Old and new Tovan Khev for romulan players! Like old and new spock in the JJ movies, only horrible! :P
    Now it makes sense!!! Future Guy was Tovan all along! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Since its a parallel storyline, will Delta Recruits be free from having to listen to Tovan bark orders while you play a minor character in HIS story and then be forced to keep him for all time?

Since it's the exact same Tutorial where we'll meet the "mysterious Benefactor" I seriously doubt it ...
    A mysterious benefactor, an experienced captain traveling back in time, will contact all Delta Recruits during their faction’s tutorial

I think people are reading to much into the whole "parallel storyline" ... it's probably the same old stuff with the option to scan for "Temporal Goo" or something ...

Seriously we're talking about the company, that pushed out an Expansion with ~9 Story Missions ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    When boff slots were limited and you needed every slot i could understand the hate, but with the new boff system and be able to have 1 boff learn everything, you NEVER have to use him on any ship you don't want to. you can get away with like 5 or 6 boff and get every combination for any ship and just change the abilities around so who care if he stays or not.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    dgdolph wrote: »
    Where is all that Tovan hate coming from? Sure he is annoying, but srsly, with all those game breaking bugs, balance issues and p2w TRIBBLE, Tovan is really my least problem right after uniform clipping errors...

A cult exists within the community that is only dedicated to hating everything that is Tovan Khev. It's STO's own version of a real-life hate group. I'm not a fan of the implementation of Tovan either, but I don't go out of my way 24/7 to hate a fictional character and make it known to the public.

Makes for great forum entertainment though.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think people are reading to much into the whole "parallel storyline" ... it's probably the same old stuff with the option to scan for "Temporal Goo" or something ...

Seriously we're talking about the company, that pushed out an Expansion with ~9 Story Missions ...

I'll agree that Delta Rising launched with an anemic story, but I really hope you're wrong about both the tutorial and the faction-specific story content. Parallel stories can be fairly distantly related (it's pretty fair to call the updated Romulan Mystery arc parallel to the Romulan faction storyline, for instance), and this is a chance for Cryptic to give us a Romulan story that doesn't revolve around one of their most (fairly or not) reviled NPCs.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    posted by captainmal3
    How dare people want to play a role in a (mmo) role playing game?!

There is way more cake and ponies than role playing going on here.
    1. Khev will never appear in your away teams if you don't wish it.
    2. or in your bridge stations
    3. I'm pretty sure there was a bonus slot officer slot added to everyone's boff allowances so he didn't occupy space anyone should feel entitled to.
    4. Unlike some boffs a name like Tovan throws him close to the bottom of the alphabetical food chain for boff ordering in the UI; Truly immersed fans of Ximek, Xiomek, and Zum Zum will be heartbroken but there are still 20 letters to work with.
    5. A truly dedicated role player might break the bank and purchase additional officers slots when services are on sale to bring in more themed characters with superior operative.

With any of these workarounds implemented if your imagination is so stilted you can't overlook Tovan Khev you must be a terrible role player.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I used Tovan for a bridge position with RO until I had enough SROs to fill them up. After the arc he is fairly quiet as well.

I did also remove the tattoo and cleaned him up at the Tailor. From what I have noticed on New Romulus it would seem that Elisa has had more extensive work performed at the Tailor than Tovan has.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited March 2015
    Since its a parallel storyline, will Delta Recruits be free from having to listen to Tovan bark orders while you play a minor character in HIS story and then be forced to keep him for all time?

oh the blind optimism here.
    2. or in your bridge stations
    3. I'm pretty sure there was a bonus slot officer slot added to everyone's boff allowances so he didn't occupy space anyone should feel entitled to.
    5. A truly dedicated role player might break the bank and purchase additional officers slots when services are on sale to bring in more themed characters with superior operative.

With any of these workarounds implemented if your imagination is so stilted you can't overlook Tovan Khev you must be a terrible role player.

2. You apparently have never beamed onto your bridge
    3. No there wasnt
    5. Shouldnt have to

Seriously tho Im bettin this will indeed be more about scannin temporal anomalies for omega bits while doing your normal play through than any actual new story content as well
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why is this dead-horse complaint not closed as an FCT? Seriously, where are the mods lately?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    For all the TK haters, they should be assigned Captain Kurland as their Delta Recruit mentor.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why is this dead-horse complaint not closed as an FCT? Seriously, where are the mods lately?

Its technically a different topic from the FCT as it is focused on speculation over possible changes with the temporal delta recruit arc ... but I wouldn't be surprised if it went poof anyway.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
    edited March 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    I'll agree that Delta Rising launched with an anemic story, but I really hope you're wrong about both the tutorial ...

Not a matter of being wrong anymore ... the Tutorial is where you'll meet your "Temporal Delta-Recruit Guru" (or whatever) according to the Blog ... the Tutorial is also where Khev joins your Crew -> no way around that ... logical conclusion : Khev still joins your Crew ...
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ltminns wrote: »
    For all the TK haters, they should be assigned Captain Kurland as their Delta Recruit mentor.

Shh Spoilers!
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

edited March 2015
    Not a matter of being wrong anymore ... the Tutorial is where you'll meet your "Temporal Delta-Recruit Guru" (or whatever) according to the Blog ... the Tutorial is also where Khev joins your Crew -> no way around that ... logical conclusion : Khev still joins your Crew ...

Couldn't find the blog in question, so maybe it's clearer in that text, but does it actually state (or even all that strongly imply) that it's the same as the regular tutorial?

I'm going to compare apples to orange here, but I played Maple Story when it went alt-friendly crazy, and there must've been a dozen different tutorials based on which character type you selected. Despite this likely requiring more content in STO (since Maple Story is a 2D side scrolling RPG with intentionally dated graphics), it sets a standard in my mind that Cryptic might well be striving for, one which, Tovan Khev or not, give players more content to play with. I actually don't much mind the guy (spotlight stealing aside), but I don't want to play another Virinat survivor when I can play something much more original.
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    prierin wrote: »
    Dude - Tovan Kehv is the TRIBBLE of STO... if you get him, you have him for life!

That is the truest statement concerning STO TRIBBLE's that I've ever witnessed. That being said, say no to sto TRIBBLE's!
    edited March 2015
    sirmayday wrote: »
    Couldn't find the blog in question, so maybe it's clearer in that text, but does it actually state (or even all that strongly imply) that it's the same as the regular tutorial?

I'm going to compare apples to orange here, but I played Maple Story when it went alt-friendly crazy, and there must've been a dozen different tutorials based on which character type you selected. Despite this likely requiring more content in STO (since Maple Story is a 2D side scrolling RPG with intentionally dated graphics), it sets a standard in my mind that Cryptic might well be striving for, one which, Tovan Khev or not, give players more content to play with. I actually don't much mind the guy (spotlight stealing aside), but I don't want to play another Virinat survivor when I can play something much more original.

Well it's from the official "Delta Recruitment Blog" which states :
    A mysterious benefactor, an experienced captain traveling back in time, will contact all Delta Recruits during their faction’s tutorial and inform them of the opportunities not to be missed during their career.

1. There is nothing about "new" Tutorial & "their factions tutorial" heavily implies the same old Tutorial ...
    2. It's hard to believe they did 3 "completly new" Tutorials anyway ...
    3. Remember it's just an "Event" ... thinking they did an entirely new "parallel Story-Arc", something they couldn't even achieve with DR ... is borderline naive & insane ... the "mysterious benefactor" will probably just tell us, that we have to do some Minigame during the same old Missions = "not to be missed during their career" ...
  • robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Considering the sheer amount of money that Cryptic Studios is expecting existing players to reinvest in this game just to get characters with "Delta Recruit" shinies, you'd think that they would at least allow said players to dismiss from their rosters one of the worst NPCs ever created for STO.

And you'd be mistaken.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    posted by kodachikuno

2. You apparently have never beamed onto your bridge
    3. No there wasnt
    5. Shouldnt have to

Seriously tho Im bettin this will indeed be more about scannin temporal anomalies for omega bits while doing your normal play through than any actual new story content as well

2. I find it more jarring to discover a bunch of clowns on my ship who herd about wearing improper ship's dress. At least Khev wears what he is told.
    3. If you you have never payed a dime in game you have 3 slots starting excluding the one Khev has.
    5. If you can't be bothered it doesn't mean that much.

Khev is trivial. If you are right about a lack of story that would actually be a huge disappointment.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

edited March 2015
    1. There is nothing about "new" Tutorial ...
    2. It's hard to believe they did 3 "completly new" Tutorials anyway ...
    3. Remember it's just an "Event" ... thinking they did an entirely new "parallel Story-Arc", something they couldn't even achieve with DR ... is borderline naive & insane ... the "mysterious benefactor" will probably just tell us, that we have to do some Minigame during the same old Missions = "not to be missed during their career" ...

Yeah, I overlooked that 'their faction tutorial' wording, which pretty well shoots down the idea of the tutorials being all-new. The rest was optimistic of me, perhaps naively so, but not impossible if this has been in the works since the Delta Rising launch (or even since Surface Tension). That said, you're right in that this is just an event, and likely wouldn't receive that level of effort (which would be more appropriate to another expansion).

So, yeah, I was proably hoping for too much, and Tovan Khev likely gets another shot at trying to win the hearts and minds of Republic captains.
  • zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hope it's pvper free. :cool:
  • captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Whatever you say buddy. I don't need to convince you anyway and cryptic have already decided it's 'too hard' to let people dismiss a boff. I'll just continue to not play any romulan toons until someone at cryptic realises that they could just lock romulan players who don't have Tovan out of replaying those missions he really needs to be in, and then decides that that trivial amount of coding isn't so difficult after all. Yes I know I'm being optimistic and it's never going to happen, but hope is all we have sometimes.
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Just keep in mind that if:

Tovan = STO Herpes

Then:

Slamek = Manic Depression

You folks see that it could have been worse, right?
  • robertcrayvenrobertcrayven Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Whatever you say buddy. I don't need to convince you anyway and cryptic have already decided it's 'too hard' to let people dismiss a boff. I'll just continue to not play any romulan toons until someone at cryptic realises that they could just lock romulan players who don't have Tovan out of replaying those missions he really needs to be in, and then decides that that trivial amount of coding isn't so difficult after all. Yes I know I'm being optimistic and it's never going to happen, but hope is all we have sometimes.

I know that the official song-and-dance is that allowing players to dismiss this hated BOFF is "impossible," and that it would be "game-breaking," but they made the same claim about adding jet-packs and half a dozen other features. What it really translates to is "we don't want to do it."

But find a way to monetize it, and it'll get done.
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I know that the official song-and-dance is that allowing players to dismiss this hated BOFF is "impossible," and that it would be "game-breaking," but they made the same claim about adding jet-packs and half a dozen other features. What it really translates to is "we don't want to do it."

But find a way to monetize it, and it'll get done.

This is true, they don't want to rewrite and redesign the Romulan starter missions and story arc to work without Tovan Khev.

In all seriousness, do you think any of the Tovan Khev objections raised are actually good enough to justify directing developer time away from new content to do this?
  • sentinelbluesentinelblue Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    SPOILER ALERT

The mysterious temporal benefactor for all factions IS TOVAN KHEV!! Now all factions must kneel before the tovan