test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Exploration Clusters and Patrol Sector X missions gone?

akulaeasternakulaeastern Member Posts: 27 Arc User
I went looking for a exploration cluster only to find that they appear to have been removed from the game? Why was this done?

These things and the patrol the sector missions were one of the more fun things to warp around the galaxy and perform. While the bridge officer system has improved it really just involves a bunch of clicks on a interface and waiting with minimal actual work.
Post edited by akulaeastern on

Comments

• Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Patrol missions are still game, just fly to a random planet.

Exploration clusters now only exist as foundry doors, because the mission quality wasn't very good. In all honesty there were what, only five or six missions with randomized maps and enemies? it was very predictable, I mean I knew which one it was just by the camera angle when I warped in.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    These things and the patrol the sector missions were one of the more fun things to warp around the galaxy and perform.

You should really pay attention to that recent Foundry update (the one that added missions to the sector block). Now you actually get to explore the galaxy looking for semi-random missions at a scale and complexity that justify the word "gameplay." Plus if you remember to pick up the "investigate officer reports" repeatable missions (from the "available" list in your mission window) the rewards for doing so aren't bad either. :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    akulaeasternakulaeastern Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Have yet to find the patrol mission. The foundry missions are a mixed bag... Some are 20 minutes and fun others are epic hour long quests that just aren't worth it.
  • Options
    skulldugger1skulldugger1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I've just returned to STO and was very disappointed to find the Exploration Missions gone. I had hours of fun with those back in the day, it was my favorite in-game activity, probably because it was the least time critical. I guess I'll have to try the foundry missions now but I remember them generally being either super easy or epic monsters that take hours to complete. Here's hoping it's not so bad. Anyone know if there are random or semi-random missions in 23rd Century space or is it all story line only in agents of yesterday?
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    Patrol missions: Just fly up to a random planet system and if it says either "Enter <such and such>" Or "Patrol <such and such>" then you can patrol it and get exp. The patrol missions in the DQ reward Delta marks and the patrol missions in Tau Dewa reward Rom marks. Both Delta and Rom patrols also reward some dil
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    I've just returned to STO and was very disappointed to find the Exploration Missions gone. I had hours of fun with those back in the day, it was my favorite in-game activity, probably because it was the least time critical.

According to the players and the devs everyone hated those missions and supposedly we're all glad they're gone.

;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nikeixnikeix Member Posts: 3,972 Arc User
    I think everyone wanted them to paint a larger, richer universe. Being gone was just the alternative to not being worked on at all.

Fortunately it's half a decade later and procedurally generated environment/narrative tech has come a long way. Hopefully it finds its way back into Star Trek :).
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    Um, Necromancy alert?

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited August 2016
    not everyone hate those cluster missions, i love that original theme of "exploration", as others said, it only got 3 versions, search and scan for anomality, investigate abandoned bases, and track down hostiles. those get old fast.

i can see why some hated, because some "random" planets are bugged and poor pathing for away team boffs.

i really want to do those exploreable again for collection of screenshots of exotic worlds.
    i have few shots from early first year.
  • Options
    officerbatman81officerbatman81 Member Posts: 2,761 Arc User
    I dont like how people will add on to a necro'ed thread like nothing and ignore the fact.
    Theyre just as bad as the necro'er.
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,513 Arc User
    It's a dead man's party

https://youtu.be/hYvafg7BdwM

who could ask for more?

The old clusters were buggy and repetitive. If they could offer more interesting procedurally-generated content I'd give it a try but I'd rather they keep their priorities on new story content.
  • Options
    misterferengi#8959 misterferengi Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    The clusters went to make way for the new R&D system and the attempt to monetisation said system.