test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - March 6, 2015

Comments

• sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Is the Rigel System in the game? According to this, http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Pollux_IV,_Vega,_Jouret_IV,_Rigel,_Organia.jpg it should be near the Vega system.

If it is in game, does it go by a different name or is it in a different location? With lots of new systems added in game it would be nice to see, seems to be a fairly signifigant Federation member.
    y1arXbh.png

• toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Tribble is being brought down for maintenance to update it to build ST.50.20150214a.6.

Sector Space Revamp:
    • Resolved an issue where the camera would be too far above or inside of some ships while in Sector Space.
    • Resolved an issue where some ships were scaling too large in Sector Space.

These don't seem to be resolved. Or there's specifically one more issue you didn't resolve.

That issue would be the camera being too close for larger ships (the ships are already rescaled - can tell that by huge warp trail effects, another still ongoing issue) and impossible to zoom out far enough.

The Risian luxury cruiser, for instance, can already be seen in sector space the way I look at it in system space (or everywhere on holodeck), however the Eclipse, for example, still can't be seen from enough of a distance.

When it comes to doffing, it looks like it more reliably changes with sectors. I've seen less of the lists being kept the same for neighboring sectors. However, most of the sectors only offer like two or three assignements in the 'current map' tab. That doesn't seem right. The less so when some of the sectors offer about 15-20 assignements.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • sprgheyinrl4realsprgheyinrl4real Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    And people are still using Windows XP? Isn't it about 14 years old now? I remember when I used the beta back in my college days.

f off richie rich we peons need enttainment too!
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    toiva wrote: »
    That issue would be the camera being too close for larger ships (the ships are already rescaled - can tell that by huge warp trail effects, another still ongoing issue) and impossible to zoom out far enough.

That's because the default maximum camera distance in sector space is 12. It used to be the same as the default maximum in system space, which is 200. They've scaled down the ships in sector space and brought the camera closer to the ship. This change breaks several things. For instance, when you enter a system from sector space, your ship looks huge. That's because the camera distance stays at 12, but ships are much larger in system space. Another thing that it breaks is keybinds that set the camera distance with the command /camdist. You can no longer use one key to zoom a ship to the same size in system space and sector space. You need two keys for each size: one for system space and one for sector space.
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    frtoaster wrote: »
    That's because the default maximum camera distance in sector space is 12. It used to be the same as the default maximum in system space, which is 200. They've scaled down the ships in sector space and brought the camera closer to the ship. This change breaks several things. For instance, when you enter a system from sector space, your ship looks huge. That's because the camera distance stays at 12, but ships are much larger in system space. Another thing that it breaks is keybinds that set the camera distance with the command /camdist. You can no longer use one key to zoom a ship to the same size in system space and sector space. You need two keys for each size: one for system space and one for sector space.

Sounds right.

I can only hope they manage to 1) scale down everything, including special gear visuals and effects; 2) normalise the default maximum so that it's equivalent to the scaling down and system default maximum; 3) automatically recalculate the camera distance between system and sector space, thus making keybinds valid and having equivalent results in both spaces.

As if I wasn't already annoyed by the constant resetting of camera distance upon beaming up from a ground map...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can only hope they manage to 1) scale down everything, including special gear visuals and effects; 2) normalise the default maximum so that it's equivalent to the scaling down and system default maximum; 3) automatically recalculate the camera distance between system and sector space, thus making keybinds valid and having equivalent results in both spaces.

I've written a lengthy post explaining the problems with zoom. I hope they read it.

Technical details regarding problems with zoom
    As if I wasn't already annoyed by the constant resetting of camera distance upon beaming up from a ground map...

I've also created a thread for this bug. It's been reported before, but with all the changes coming, I figured I should report it again.

Holodeck ticket #3,271,917: Camera zoom bug from Season 6
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »
    Windows 8.1 is fine, I switched to it when it came out from 7 and have had no problems with it what so ever.

And if this is about "Start Menu" Windows 10 is bringing one that is the same style as the old ones. (which was suppose to be in a 8.1 update, not sure what happened there)

IIRC Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users for the first year of release.

People I know using the preview build says its great even this far before full release.
    You recall correctly, a free upgrade for everyone who gets in on the first year.
    st3a1th2 wrote: »
    Suns still look like TRIBBLE, just looks like an orrange circle, the texture and lighting affect we see on the sun's in holodeck are much better. I hope they change this as it makes it feel a step backwards inseatd of forwards
    Actually all the stars on holodeck remind me of the "Sha Ka Ree" planet in Star Trek V. And a LOT of the original TOS planets with their swirly nondescript atmospheres.
    I agreed with you until i looked close at the textures on the Holodeck suns. they are not anywhere near quality enough to be used in bigger size. however i do still agree that the suns need better textures, though not at the expence of massive amounts of graphics lag, so its a balance.
    i think the main issue is they need some dark spots on them as well as bright.

I.E. like this http://www.3d-hdwallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Attractive-Desktop-Sun-Wallpaper-Download.jpg

They need to look like they actually glow up close. That's a good star pic you have there.

I'd aim for something like this.

http://abyss.uoregon.edu/~js/images/twinprom.jpg

And honestly up close it looks like that's the direction they're heading.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
    edited March 2015
    sle1989 wrote: »
    Is the Rigel System in the game? According to this, http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Pollux_IV,_Vega,_Jouret_IV,_Rigel,_Organia.jpg it should be near the Vega system.

If it is in game, does it go by a different name or is it in a different location? With lots of new systems added in game it would be nice to see, seems to be a fairly signifigant Federation member.

No. It's not in game on the new map...at least not yet.

Rigel in the new map would be in the Orion sector "Northeast" of Risa, "East" of Reytan and "Southeast" of the Orion system, but there's no system there.
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • arkangel11004arkangel11004 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I do think my current system is the exception to the rule (Optiplex 755). I seem to run Vista as good or better than XP. It even runs better than 7, which is unbelievable. I think that vistas service packs were overlooked by most of the media who had already decided that Vista was terrible, and so it was already sunk by that point. Although it runs superbly on my system, I do note that most of the performance issues were caused by the brand new aero subsystem, as others have stated.

I think Vista had some other good things though too. DVD Creator, and Movie Maker 6 come to my mind. Im also a fan of online/cloud only when I want to download/look at something,so windows live movie maker,dvd creator, etc, do not sit well with me. I will upload, post, download, sync, backup, on my terms, not my programs. As a result, I like programs that do not link to live, youtube, facebook, or anything else. My personal Opinion is that I will manually upload these things on my own, to their respective sites. That is one reason I like vista. No live connected anything unless you install them, thats what I believe windows should be by default, which is one of my qualms with windows 8.

I dont particularly like windows 8s touch interface, although thats just my opinion. I would rather have a full on complete mouse interface, even if windows was on my mobile phone. I like non-touch, more complex interfaces over dumbed down mobile ones, which I frequently see websites changing to these days. Concerning Windows 10, from what I see of the new start menu, I hope that startisback and others will be updated to work with it. Microsoft doesnt seem to have got the message that some people want nothing to do with live tiles, and metro looking interfaces. I want the start menu back, not a combination of it and metro, the win 7 start menu, plain and simple. i also thing its interesting that micro. has decided that aero is old, outdated, and useless after two OS releases, but I digress. I also think Cortana will be interesting, but you wont see me talking to my computer. I love how some make distinctions these days: Im not talking to my phone, only Siri or Google Now. Make no mistake they are talking to their phones. Will I use it as a playful gimmick every now and then? Yes. But to use it for everything daily? No.

Thats just my rant on things,

I like where these updates are going so far,

Keep at it Cryptic,

arkangel11004
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited March 2015
    The sector map still has a rather unfinished appearance

The steps are currently like that:
    1. Suns are small balls
    2. Glowing bright, impossible to miss <- still too many rays, it looks odd
    3. Getting closer they quickly and suddenly zoom in to fill the screen
    4. Large ball without any sun-like glow.

Wonder if we cannot have a sun apperance like right now for the suns in sector space when in stage 4?
  • arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    large balls with no glow only happen when you turn bloom off. you're not supposed to do that apparently.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
    edited March 2015
    By Tacofangs via Reddit:

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_wIO7UWIAAMK_t.jpg

SO much better the looks of the suns! GREAT! :)
    edited March 2015
    longasc wrote: »
    By Tacofangs via Reddit:

Now you're talking.

Is that in the next build? Because my bloom is on, and I don't see anything like that. :D
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    Yes, that should be in the next build.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • drennikdrennik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tacofangs wrote: »

Soon™ ? Pretty please :)
    edited March 2015

As expected of Boss Tacofangs. :cool:

That's one heck of a second draft sir, my compliments. :D
  • khamseenairkhamseenair Member Posts: 2,640 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    By Tacofangs via Reddit:

Massive improvement! Look forward to seeing it 'up close and personal'. :)
    Join date is wrong, I've actually been around since STO Beta.
    True alters don't have a "main". Account wide unlocks for all unique event rewards!!
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I just wanted to confirm that always liked that as a starship gets closer that the sun suddenly zoomx up in scale. It's a very Star Trek effect seen on the bridge view screens from the original television series. A touchstone that I continue to enjoy.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    edited March 2015
    https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/575415854617202689

^ :D

Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me! Very nice!:)
    edited March 2015
    https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/575415854617202689

^ :D

Oh Be A Fine Girl Kiss Me! Very nice!:)

Beautiful and wonderful :D

Can't wait to see those babies up close.

EDIT: Also relevant even if we can already see them now.

https://twitter.com/Tumerboy/status/575415597166649345
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oooo, those suns look gorgeous. :cool:
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • doyouwdoyouw Member Posts: 200 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Dark Side (KDF)
    HOUSE OF BORG
    "I am FLATULUS of Borg, Resistance if Futile! Prepare to pull my finger!"

cube.jpg
    edited March 2015
    doyouw wrote: »

Legitimately there's no way they could do the real scale sizes in game. We'd lose our ships....still, some of these stars are scary huge.
  • judgemarkjudgemark Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    tribble still crashes during initial loading screen, im using windows 8.1, there is also a fatal direct3d error message, happens only on tribble
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Wasn't there supposed to be an update this week?
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    As far as I care/am concerned, they still have one or two days left before being overdue. If something unexpected happened, I can wait a couple more days..but I'm not so sure about the rest of you! ;)
    MXeSfqV.jpg
    edited March 2015
    I forget whether this was reported, but when passing through some sectors, specifically for one the Argelius sector, the warp streaks completely cut out. Rather jarring really.

In truth I'd like to see those a bit brighter normally.
  • tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2015
    Update next week, not this week.
    Should be some fun goodies next week though.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Update next week, not this week.
    Should be some fun goodies next week though.

Thanks for the update Taco, looking forward to it!

Oh, and is (are?) there any spoilers/hints you can give us as to what's coming? ;)
    MXeSfqV.jpg