test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Recruitment: Don't disqualify existing characters

warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
The Delta Recruitment event sounds really interesting, especially the parallel story, but I have a main character I like and I'd like to do it with her.

I like doing everything on the same character. That seems like an impossible goal now, with Delta Recruit available only for new characters and so many ships, items, duty officers, accolades, etc bound to old ones and some of them no longer available at all. If I could just restart the character and keep my collections, I'd do it, but that's not an option.

So, I ask that you put the Delta Recruit status for sale in the C-Store so existing characters can have it, too. Please?
Post edited by warpangel on

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It sounds like the content is tied to leveling up and playing story missions.

Maybe they could let you do a full all-stories episode replay, but would you want to do that? Even if none of the extra rewards scaled up so you just got Mark IV beams or whatever?
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Too late...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    The Delta Recruitment event sounds really interesting, especially the parallel story, but I have a main character I like and I'd like to do it with her.

I like doing everything on the same character. That seems like an impossible goal now, with Delta Recruit available only for new characters and so many ships, items, duty officers, accolades, etc bound to old ones and some of them no longer available at all. If I could just restart the character and keep my collections, I'd do it, but that's not an option.

So, I ask that you put the Delta Recruit status for sale in the C-Store so existing characters can have it, too. Please?

They won't because it would TRIBBLE up their metrics....
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Nothing any of you will say will have any effect on Cryptic's decisions.

Well, unless you suggest ways in which they can make MORE money from your changes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!
  • kdawgenigmakdawgenigma Member Posts: 300 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is their solution to the "this game is not alt friendly anymore" complaints. Make an alt on their terms.

-Rule of Acquisition #113: Always have sex with the boss.
    -I am one of the many victims from the hijacked Caspian Division.
    I will not let the childish acts of a criminal ruin this game for me.
    -The actions of Cryptic, on the other hand......
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It sounds like the content is tied to leveling up and playing story missions.

Maybe they could let you do a full all-stories episode replay, but would you want to do that? Even if none of the extra rewards scaled up so you just got Mark IV beams or whatever?
    Of course I would.

I wouldn't mind if they bump me back to level 1 either.

As long as I can keep the stuff and accolades I've collected.
  • aphelionmarauderaphelionmarauder Member Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    it would be nice if we can decline the new character to apply it to an existing one, then slash the xp in half from the event and give us the rewards. its much easier. and cryptic wont do it because of stupidity.
    Support the movement!
    Come stand with us in supporting Star Trek: The Animated Series content for STO! (It's canon!) #TASforSTO

Time travel and glass-cannon ships hurt my head and is NOT what Trek is about. Trek is exploration, becoming better as a species, and gaining scientific knowledge while holding on to the traditions that got us where were are.
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    warpangel wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind if they bump me back to level 1 either.

As long as I can keep the stuff and accolades I've collected.

See now you have me worried that they might use the "delta recruit" as a flag so they can wipe all toons that don't have that flag...

The really scary thing is I'm even thinking of that as a possibility, that says just about everything that needs saying about Cryptic...
    it would be nice if we can decline the new character to apply it to an existing one, then slash the xp in half from the event and give us the rewards. its much easier. and cryptic wont do it because of stupidity.

Actually, if I'm interpreting this correctly it's that they made some change to the database for this and that it is only possible to apply these changes at the character creation phase.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    They won't because it would TRIBBLE up their metrics....

Well, if they made it possible to convert existing characters to a Delta Recruit, it wouldn't. You'd still have to play the new content, log in, be active and so on. But it would remove the problem of needing to create a new character.

There's a Chrystalline event running at this very moment, Cryptic. Since you don't seem to have any intention to make stuff permanently available (anniversary ships, Kobali uniform, now this Delta Recruit event), at least don't force people to create new characters that surely won't have access to all the stuff that has been released in the past, and even is being released now.

I'd like to ask Cryptic to reconsider the need to create new characters. Your new content will be played anyway, if people could convert existing characters to Delta Recruits.
  • knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    risian4 wrote: »
    Well, if they made it possible to convert existing characters to a Delta Recruit, it wouldn't. You'd still have to play the new content, log in, be active and so on. But it would remove the problem of needing to create a new character.

There's a Chrystalline event running at this very moment, Cryptic. Since you don't seem to have any intention to make stuff permanently available (anniversary ships, Kobali uniform, now this Delta Recruit event), at least don't force people to create new characters that surely won't have access to all the stuff that has been released in the past, and even is being released now.

I'd like to ask Cryptic to reconsider the need to create new characters. Your new content will be played anyway, if people could convert existing characters to Delta Recruits.

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I agree. This should be an option, even if it is a little harder to obtain for vet characters than it is for delta recruits. I doubt they'll offer this though; it just sounds much too reasonable a thing for Cryptic to do.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    js26568 wrote: »

Well, unless you suggest ways in which they can make MORE money from your changes.

I doubt even this actually. I've seen more than a few 'please add this, I'll pay anything but please add this to the game' threads.

More information is needed but all I got from the blog was delta recruits getting more text boxes and probably the odd extra mission goal, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't miss that much if you decide to skip it all together.
  • nitefiuunitefiuu Member Posts: 253 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    whatever it will be, im sure it will require tripple the grind u made prior to lvl50 to lvl"60" thus far
    Battle Trek Online: KILL EVERYTHING
  • n00b1001n00b1001 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    This is their solution to the "this game is not alt friendly anymore" complaints. Make an alt on their terms.

Just imagine the dil you get when you spend all the time dil farming.
  • infydelinfydel Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't really see the problem. The main rewards seem to be account-wide, you get a free character slot, and playing through to whatever point of the plotline is required (end of Breen episode? it's not clear to me from reading the article) probably won't take more than a few days.
    Vulcans are MEAN
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    js26568 wrote: »

True as well as tell them what’s next in need of a nerf! ;)

Well pretty much the same for them in the end hu?
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • wired2thenetwired2thenet Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm scratching my head over this one. I'm in the vocal minority that generally likes the direction Cryptic has pushed STO (with some obvious exceptions, but meh, I'm a player, not a developer ... whatever floats their boat).

But restricting it to newly created characters is a bit puzzling. Why not just add toons under 10th level? I've created some level 2 toons to help out various people creating fleets and whatnot (if I see someone needing an extra body for fleet creation, I login to that toon to help them out). I'm actually full-up on toons at the moment, and although I don't have a problem deleting a few of them, my level ~10 freed borg is sitting unused because I have no need of her right now as I concentrate on leveling up my fleet leader and my main. An event like this would make me want to play her a little more.

It would make more sense to allow any toon under level 10 (you don't progress very far in the story-line by this point anyway) to be recruited into Delta, so that toons already modestly established can participate. Forcing a new toon into something just doesn't make sense unless you're a brand new player (and while I can see the logic by Cryptic on this, it still leaves the current customer-base in a bit of a quandry ... reroll, or forget-about-it). Instead of appealing to JUST new players, give your dedicated customer-base a little more incentive as well. Otherwise, let us know what the actual rewards will be so we'll be able to justify to ourselves the logic behind it. If the rewards are good enough, hell, I'll delete my borg and start her over, so long as my main and major alt can benefit ... but I'd like to know, otherwise I'll just pass it up, just as I have the Crystaline event.
    edited March 2015
    infydel wrote: »
    I don't really see the problem. The main rewards seem to be account-wide, you get a free character slot, and playing through to whatever point of the plotline is required (end of Breen episode? it's not clear to me from reading the article) probably won't take more than a few days.
    The problem is I don't want to leave the storyline to some throwaway alt. It doesn't matter where the reward goes, I don't want to spend 7 weeks playing a toon that's going to end up a dil refiner afterwards. I like having one active character.

But most importantly, the problem is that no matter what I do, it looks like my main character is going to be missing something. If I keep my current main, it will be missing the triangle next to the name and the parallel story from this event. If I create a new one to replace it, it'll be missing all the past event rewards and a huge load of accolades, some of which can't be done anymore. :(
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    posted by knuteb5

I'm not disagreeing with you. In fact, I agree. This should be an option, even if it is a little harder to obtain for vet characters than it is for delta recruits. I doubt they'll offer this though; it just sounds much too reasonable a thing for Cryptic to do.

If the stated purpose of the event is to narrow the gap between new characters and longstanding ones how could this be a reasonable request when it completely contradicts the intent?
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The point of this event, first is to get new people into STO with a good starter program.
    The second is to get existing players motivation to make new toons.
    The entire purpose is for growth that include possible revenue for STO.

We should all be greatful for such an effort this means more people to play with.
    More money for STO and that means more content.

Don't be fool and knock a postive thing over your own selfish wants.

STO Live Long and Prosper
    download.jpg
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    risian4 wrote: »

Congrats, you have basicly just asked them to never create another playable faction...
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm scratching my head over this one. I'm in the vocal minority that generally likes the direction Cryptic has pushed STO (with some obvious exceptions, but meh, I'm a player, not a developer ... whatever floats their boat).

But restricting it to newly created characters is a bit puzzling. Why not just add toons under 10th level? I've created some level 2 toons to help out various people creating fleets and whatnot (if I see someone needing an extra body for fleet creation, I login to that toon to help them out). I'm actually full-up on toons at the moment, and although I don't have a problem deleting a few of them, my level ~10 freed borg is sitting unused because I have no need of her right now as I concentrate on leveling up my fleet leader and my main. An event like this would make me want to play her a little more.

It would make more sense to allow any toon under level 10 (you don't progress very far in the story-line by this point anyway) to be recruited into Delta, so that toons already modestly established can participate. Forcing a new toon into something just doesn't make sense unless you're a brand new player (and while I can see the logic by Cryptic on this, it still leaves the current customer-base in a bit of a quandry ... reroll, or forget-about-it). Instead of appealing to JUST new players, give your dedicated customer-base a little more incentive as well. Otherwise, let us know what the actual rewards will be so we'll be able to justify to ourselves the logic behind it. If the rewards are good enough, hell, I'll delete my borg and start her over, so long as my main and major alt can benefit ... but I'd like to know, otherwise I'll just pass it up, just as I have the Crystaline event.

Without knowing exactly what the bonuses are, I'm not comfortable speculating about the developer's motives. But I will anyway.

My going theory is that "Delta Recruitment" is going to be focused around doing exactly what the press release said, letting newer characters catch up faster to established characters by giving bonuses and direction throughout the leveling process.

I'm expecting your "time traveling mystery man" will give you such awe inspiring side missions as "take this rare duty officer I gave you, and put him on active duty." Or "travel to the bridge officer ability seller, and buy an ability for your first officer." And introductions to every other system in the game that new players are never told about during the course of leveling or the bare-bones introduction tutorial. During the event month you'll also be getting a hefty chunk of bonus experience and dilithium, and I'm betting a new player push happens soon.

Once the event ends, the bonus experience and dilithium will disappear with it, but the delta recruitment tutorial additions will remain in game and every experienced player will be familiar with them so that any new players who come in afterward and have a question about the content will find an informed, if not necessarily helpful player base able to answer their questions.
    edited March 2015
    I have no interest in speculation about anyone's motives. But the event as described in the announcement is not for "newer" characters, it's for NEW characters. A player who joined yesterday is going to be told on April 2. "sorry, you've wasted your time, start over if you want to play this cool thing."

And of course, players joining now...better wait, any character created now will be second-class next month.
  • horridpersonhorridperson Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    @warpangel

For someone with no interest in speculation you are speculating quite a bit about the value of existing characters. It's hard to predict the future with the power of teary-eyed vision.
    battlegroupad_zps8gon3ojt.jpg

• evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You know what would be great? If during this event, ALL event ships, items, etc that you've unlocked on one character are available for all your other characters.

Keeps things limited to those who played during the event, like cryptic wants, yet also allows the delta recruits to get the event gear they missed. Win win.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    adamkafei wrote: »
    See now you have me worried that they might use the "delta recruit" as a flag so they can wipe all toons that don't have that flag...

The really scary thing is I'm even thinking of that as a possibility, that says just about everything that needs saying about Cryptic...

perhaps you are missing this part of the news item > "completing these goals will see them rewarded with equipment, Marks, and other rewards beneficial not just to the Delta Recruit, but to all characters on the same account. Completing the story arcs of your chosen faction will reward you with a unique Starship Trait for all characters on your account: Temporal Insight. This trait will proc a Damage Immunity when you use any Hull Heal on your starship."

at first I thought I could not be bothered with this but if my existing characters will benefit in some small way it might be worth it and who knows, it could even be fun.

my current toons are well played out they wont mind taking a break while I concentrait on the new boy.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    i wouldnt mind a free char slot :P. leave em all full. get that delta toon on the chopping block, let it run. want to try run a talaxian up the list. Captain Maxis, Starfleets favorite Talaxian, although i was told it degrades me as a player to play a talaxian. :P
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The point of this event, first is to get new people into STO with a good starter program.
    The second is to get existing players motivation to make new toons.
    The entire purpose is for growth that include possible revenue for STO.

We should all be greatful for such an effort this means more people to play with.
    More money for STO and that means more content.

Don't be fool and knock a postive thing over your own selfish wants.

STO Live Long and Prosper

you don't be a fool.

The money doesn't go back into STO. Its goes to PWE corporate to pay for their buying more companies and starting more Asian oriented games and other ARC improvements.

All that happens is if they make some money off of lockbox then they just keep pumping those out. STO is just a profit center
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • grnlbrtnfrntgrnlbrtnfrnt Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jermbot wrote: »
    Without knowing exactly what the bonuses are, I'm not comfortable speculating about the developer's motives. But I will anyway.

My going theory is that "Delta Recruitment" is going to be focused around doing exactly what the press release said, letting newer characters catch up faster to established characters by giving bonuses and direction throughout the leveling process.

I'm expecting your "time traveling mystery man" will give you such awe inspiring side missions as "take this rare duty officer I gave you, and put him on active duty." Or "travel to the bridge officer ability seller, and buy an ability for your first officer." And introductions to every other system in the game that new players are never told about during the course of leveling or the bare-bones introduction tutorial. During the event month you'll also be getting a hefty chunk of bonus experience and dilithium, and I'm betting a new player push happens soon.

Once the event ends, the bonus experience and dilithium will disappear with it, but the delta recruitment tutorial additions will remain in game and every experienced player will be familiar with them so that any new players who come in afterward and have a question about the content will find an informed, if not necessarily helpful player base able to answer their questions.

they have re done the tutorials at least 3X already. And originally they were insulting because they were on a kindergarten level.

Really if these "new" players are having such a hard and are confused maybe they shouldn't be gaming? Or maybe the devs had just added to many systems to grind, too many currencies.

The game is so buggy from top to bottom that if I were a new character, I likely wouldn't play more than a week.
    [SIGPIC]PWE IS NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY[/SIGPIC]
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    STO is just a profit center
    Isn't every business?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.