test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Coming back to STO

ssikke1990ssikke1990 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Federation Discussion
So hello. I played this game and i quit before delta launch because my acc got messed up. I used to play fleet assault cruiser beam boat and i loved it. What is tier6 ship which is closest to fleet assault cruiser in setup..I just love that tanky beam boat builds
Post edited by ssikke1990 on

Comments

• fatman592fatman592 Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    While you don't need a T6 ship to play DR content, I'd recommend the Presidio (Tac Command ship).
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    fatman592 wrote: »
    While you don't need a T6 ship to play DR content, I'd recommend the Presidio (Tac Command ship).

I agree.

The Presidio very much feels like the successor to the Assault Cruiser.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ssikke1990ssikke1990 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    well, i do LOVED feel of fleet assault cruiser, and i really like to be able to tank , attract aggro and deal some beam damage... so what is where i am pointing now
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You basically described the Presidio in a nutshell. It's more or less a direct upgrade of the FACR. The only difference between the two is that the FACR T5U has 5 engi consoles and 2 sci, whereas the Presidio has 4 engi consoles and 3 sci, and the Presidio also has All Hands On Deck (basically this broken insanely awesome trait that reduces cooldown on sci abilities).

Short of that, the two are more or less identical.

However, one major weakness that must be pointed out is that the Presidio does not have Command: Weapons Efficiency, or Command: (whatever the speed and turn rate bonus was). It's most the Weapons Efficiency you'll probably notice, since you won't be able to cut your weapon drain by as much. That and it's trait tree is slightly different (gets a 15% crtd bonus instead of a % based hull heal).

Honestly if you want to continue to use your assault cruiser refit, just get a T5U FACR. But if you want a ship that's similar but different (better in some ways, slightly worse in others), get the Presidio.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
    edited March 2015
    I still occasionally pull my FACR out and take it for a spin.

It still easily handles any end game content. Tier 6 ships are something you should get if you want them, don't get one because you feel you need it.

I love my Tactical Command Cruiser (I also really like the Science one) but I could have stuck with the Assault Cruiser and been perfectly fine had I wished to go that route.
    edited March 2015
    And what about Concorde Command Battlecruiser.. by the looks it is just fine...???
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    ssikke1990 wrote: »
    And what about Concorde Command Battlecruiser.. by the looks it is just fine...???

They're all really nice in my opinion. For the boff layouts and stats, the Presidio is like a t6 sovy/excel depending on how you set it up; the Geneva is like a t6 Ambassador, and the Concord is what the T6 Galaxy should have been.
    edited March 2015

The OP is looking for something similar to the Assault Cruiser he had when he left. The Presidio is closer to that need then the Concorde.

The Concorde is highly limited in Tactical Bridge Officer seating, it sacrifices damage in favor of going overboard on Engineering. While the Assault Cruiser kind of did the same thing, at least it had a Lt. Commander Tactical along with the Ensign Tactical station.

The Presidio has a better overall bridge officer layout then the Concorde. The Geneva is well set up for more Science Heavy Players as well as players who need more Science Consoles to do drain builds or to buff Plasmonic Leech. You can get far better performance out of either the Presidio or the Geneva then you can from the Concorde.

Does that mean the Concorde is a bad ship? Not really, I have a friend who flies one and does quite well, but most people recommend either the Tactical or Science Variant.
    edited March 2015
    and what do i lose if i upgrade fleet assault cruiser to T5-U status ?? that is still by far my favorite ship
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Compared to the Presidio?

A tactical boff seat power, a hangar, Command Powers(both passive and active), 1 point of turn rating, and the ability to mount dual cannons.

All the T5U Fleet Assault Cruiser gains is Weapon and Maneuver Commands. (it also trades an arguably more useful Science Console for a 5th Eng console.)

Pretty much everyone and their uncle runs the Weapon Efficiency Comm, so you really only lose out on it when you're on your own and the loss is negligible with how prolific power generation and drain resistance is these days. Your pets will generally be able to make up the difference anyways.

If you love the sovereign look though, you can't really quantify that. I personally still run my Regent on one of my characters solely because of how good it 'feels' to fly around with it firing phasers at things.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    and what do i lose if i upgrade fleet assault cruiser to T5-U status ?? that is still by far my favorite ship
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Compared to the Presidio?

A tactical boff seat power, a hangar, Command Powers(both passive and active), 1 point of turn rating, and the ability to mount dual cannons.

All the T5U Fleet Assault Cruiser gains is Weapon and Maneuver Commands. (it also trades an arguably more useful Science Console for a 5th Eng console.)

Pretty much everyone and their uncle runs the Weapon Efficiency Comm, so you really only lose out on it when you're on your own and the loss is negligible with how prolific power generation and drain resistance is these days. Your pets will generally be able to make up the difference anyways.

If you love the sovereign look though, you can't really quantify that. I personally still run my Regent on one of my characters solely because of how good it 'feels' to fly around with it firing phasers at things.

Basically szen said it all.

However he was wrong in three areas.

Firstly, the FACR T5U also has higher hull and shields than the Presidio. Not by a whole lot, but it's something.

Secondly, the FACR has no hangar. And believe me, a single hangar of Elite Scorpions from the rep system can easily bring in a good 4k DPS by themselves. And that's pretty noticeable.

But by far the largest thing you'll be missing out on is the "All Hands on Deck" starship trait. That trait. Is OP. As hell. Every time you hit a tactical BOff power, it reduces the cooldown of all your science abilities by 10%, and all your captain abilities by 5%. It has a 5 second lockout between procs, but on a ship like the Presidio, you don't notice that much.

However, I cannot say don't get the T5U FACR, because it will still be better than your current FACR. And the Sovvy/Imperial skin is just beautiful. Unfortunately... it's rather badly out-classed by the Presidio in almost every aspect except appearance. CBCs... take a little getting used to aesthetically.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • cha0s1428cha0s1428 Member Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Yeah I bought the CBCs myself and on paper, they are amazing all around. They are just so absolutely hideous to look at though. For me, its mainly the nacelles, though the "tail" is obnoxious as well. If you are about function over looks? Yeah, they are brilliant. If you are like me and think you can get around it, but cant help staring at them in disgust the entire time you are flying them, I feel for ya mate :D

Seriously, I talk myself into flying it, gear up, run a mission, and just go "nope, I can't" So bad...