test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

OR

rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
We want it. We need it. Even those of us that don't know it yet. It's our iPhone. You've given us the powerful IF. The all inclusive AND. Give us OR. Logical disjuction.

What is this OR you ask?: In logic and mathematics, OR is the truth-functional operator of (inclusive) disjunction, also known as alternation; the OR of a set of operands is true if and only if one or more of its operands is true.

What does this mean for us? Quite simply, choice. With the power of OR I can give captains choice. IF they choose path A I can give them map A. IF they choose path B I can give them map B. I can give captains greater immersion with more varied storylines. I can give one captain one experience and another a completely different experience with one foundry mission. I can create discussion among captains, "Hey, just played this new mission, I loved the ground map...", "Yeah I just played it too, but I never saw a ground map!", "Oh, that's because you have to do XYZ, it's a whole different game."

I can create switches - that is, turn something on and off. Close or open a door (of my own creation), multiple times by using a single object with appropriate triggers.

ALTERNATE ENDINGS!!!

I have to assume the Foundry has this functionality. OR logic is fundamental to programming. Find a way, investigate...try. OR logic may be the single most impactful feature we could gain access to in regards to building missions and increasing quality.

~ 2 cents spent.
Post edited by rekurzion on

Comments

• Options
    tjsinclairtjsinclair Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    'OR! What is it good for?!"

Uhm... everything.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm not sure that even official Cryptic missions can actually pick between two entirely different maps, but this is hardly the only place OR logic would be useful. I've got an example in my current project "The Hydra's Head", where I have an interaction with a plot-relevant bartender with Dialog Prompt Reached causing various beverages to become visible. I had to create two copies of each drink (one for the storyline dialog, one for the default dialog), because Dialog Prompt Reached is AND logic.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well, some Cryptic missions use a different map and even different cut scenes depending on how the story plays out. It's not necessarily a player choice, but it is OR logic of a sort.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Agreed

Even the most simple OR usage, to alter conversations and acknowledge player choices ( without the massive TRIBBLE aching workarounds) in the story board would be so much of an improvement for our missions
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    borrowedtuneborrowedtune Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    We've been asking for this since beta. No need to convince anyone. On the scale of things we want versus things that could possibly be implemented, this one is way down on the list. It would be a major undertaking. I'd settle for a beam out animation and a costume to talk to the ship's computer. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    rekurzionrekurzion Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    I'm not sure that even official Cryptic missions can actually pick between two entirely different maps, but this is hardly the only place OR logic would be useful. I've got an example in my current project "The Hydra's Head", where I have an interaction with a plot-relevant bartender with Dialog Prompt Reached causing various beverages to become visible. I had to create two copies of each drink (one for the storyline dialog, one for the default dialog), because Dialog Prompt Reached is AND logic.

I understand that unleashing OR logic can have the side effect of hogging system resources. If it's not implemented correctly a player could wind up with an infinite loop in their mission and I can only imagine what kind of problems that might cause. But there should be a way to offer a limited scope OR mechanic into the foundry and minimize the side effects.